IGNORED

My Progress w/Overspeed Training Using SuperSpeedGolf

Note: This thread is 1222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

I know that the green and blue are "lighter" than the usual driver (I think they said 60 gm shaft), and red is "heavier." But how does that correspond (or not) to swing weight of the driver?

I suppose it doesn't matter for me--higher speed is an improvement.  Just curious.  My gamer (until recently) is a D6, and my driver previous to that is D3.

I never checked the swingweight.  I don’t want to drive myself nuts with too much info.  All the shafts including the red might be the same weight and it’s just the head weight that’s different, not sure.  

The shaft length and feel  reminds me more of swinging a fairway wood which is one of the reasons I’m working my own driver into the training.  The Superspeed program is about training your brain that there is another gear.  By working in my playing driver, I’d like to think I’m making a connection in my brain with “seeing” that driver and swinging faster.

It “seems” logical to me... I don’t know.  It’s not going to hurt.  I should know once the season reboots.  

Another thought I had was using a whiffle ball teed up and swinging that hard just give be the visual of swinging that hard with a ball there.  I think we slow down our swings and get “ball bound” too much when the ball is sitting there.  I haven’t tried this yet.  Might try it today if I can get a whiffle ball to stay on the tee in this wind

• Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Missouri Swede, the weather supposed to turn to crap later, I’ll try to remember to swingweight, weigh and length measure the sticks, my driver and 3 wood.

2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Missouri Swede, the weather supposed to turn to crap later, I’ll try to remember to swingweight, weigh and length measure the sticks, my driver and 3 wood.

Thanks, it was just a question out of curiosity. 

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Super-speed :

44” Length for all 3 clubs ( All the clublengths were measured with the club standing up against a door.

Red  e-3

340 grams

Blue b-8

300 grams

Green is 3 points lower than than a-0

260 grams

Ping G400max Driver:

46.5”

D-2

330 grams

RBZ 3 wood

44”

D-1

355 grams

Ping i-15 5 wood

43.75”

D-1

355 grams

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Informative 1

The E-3 swingweight of the Superspeed Red stands out for me.  The green and blue are “a and b” swingweight letters and the jump to “e” is substantial.

Like I thought, my 3 wood and 5 wood closest to any of the  Superspeed clubs for length and weight.  That’s why I wanted to add in my driver.  I’d have the added length and the weight is pretty much in the ballpark.

I did try my experiment with hitting a whiffle ball with the fast swing and my driver after the Superspeed session.  It’s good to do because I almost whiffed the first one.  Didn’t realize I was taking my eyes off the ball.  Next 2 I was able to keep up the speed and hit the ball.  Then the rain came.

I really like the idea of adding a few driver swings. Do you swing both ways (lefty and righty) when you do that, @Typhoon92? I know that part of the protocol is making sure that you're strengthening both sides of your body, so I'd be a little hesitant to add the driver swings without doing that, unless they replace the red stick swings at the end.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

The E-3 swingweight of the Superspeed Red stands out for me.  The green and blue are “a and b” swingweight letters and the jump to “e” is substantial.

Because drivers are in the C and D range. So they have clubs lighter and heavier - they don't need a club the same swing weight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I read where they say you should be able to swing the red faster than your own driver.  Doesn’t happen with me.  I know you don’t want the same swingweight but at that length 44”, it’s just too heavy.  I’d have liked an actual heavier club but a lower swingweight.  They can’t do that though if they want to stick to a 44” length  and 40 gram weight differentials

The red is about the same overall weight as my driver  but with the higher swing weight and shorter length it’s a leverage thing so you swing the longer one faster.... which is my actual driver.  

Im going to keep my own driver in the mix for the reasons in my original post.  I did swing it lefty as well, did not use it for any feet together or step through drills.  Just my normal set up swing but both ways and at the end when you take the green club for session ending fast swings in one direction, I do that with my driver after the green club.

Edited by Typhoon92

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Typhoon92 said:

I read where they say you should be able to swing the red faster than your own driver.

I can. I'm not trying to hit a ball, after all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/20/2020 at 12:57 PM, billchao said:

I haven't swung mine in a while. I should probably start it up again.

Same here.  On one hand, I am working more hours than I was two months ago at this time.  On the other hand, I'm entirely at home and I have a backyard (sort of) in which I can do these.  I decided yesterday to start allocating at least two five minute blocks to practice golf, in addition to grip practice whenever I stand up.  I did Erik's April plans days 1 & 2 practices earlier today, as I intend to get through all of those.

But that's besides the point, and I'll get back on topic:  I'm going to get back to Speed Stix.  Back in winter when I was getting home some nights at 8+ pm I still found time.  That I'm not doing it now is unforgivable.  Gonna do it tonight.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

12 hours ago, iacas said:

I can. I'm not trying to hit a ball, after all.

I can’t for some reason.  My swing speed with my driver is always faster whether I’m hitting a ball or not hitting a ball vs. my speed with the red stick.

My driver swing speed is more online with the blue stick.  Blue stick being a bit faster.

11 hours ago, Shindig said:

Same here.  On one hand, I am working more hours than I was two months ago at this time.  On the other hand, I'm entirely at home and I have a backyard (sort of) in which I can do these.  I decided yesterday to start allocating at least two five minute blocks to practice golf, in addition to grip practice whenever I stand up.  I did Erik's April plans days 1 & 2 practices earlier today, as I intend to get through all of those.

But that's besides the point, and I'll get back on topic:  I'm going to get back to Speed Stix.  Back in winter when I was getting home some nights at 8+ pm I still found time.  That I'm not doing it now is unforgivable.  Gonna do it tonight.

Yeah, not a whole lot to do.  The superspeed, some Erik stuff and putting at least keeps things current

• 2 weeks later...

Started this training about 5 weeks ago and when i started my average  Driver swing speed was 110, now my average is 117, it has really helped me with not releasing the club to early and loosing all that speed

6C1DDCBF-8135-4198-BEBB-1E19FEB8D582.png

Edited by kaveman44

So I’ve been hitting at home in my Covid 19 range.  I got the idea from watching the video of Boogielicious practicing.

This is the first year I’ve seen really good gains in clubhead speed.  Maybe it took me a couple seasons to figure out how to swing when using the sticks.  Also this year I added in my own driver.  I did make a couple swing changes as well but in past years the changes didn’t amount to much.  My gains in other years were minimal, but at 58 years old, I was glad to not be losing speed.  So that’s a plus.

The end of last year my driver swing speed was 110.  If I pushed it, 115 mph.  This time  I shocked myself.  I actually thought it was a misread.  Using the same blue swing speed radar I always have, I posted 121 mph average.  If I pushed it I was 128.

I’ve done this on multiple occasions the last 2 weeks so it wasn’t a freak thing.

Here is my Covid 19 Range...

4FDD226A-7189-44E5-9188-239F5F04B2C6.jpeg

I have a heavy tarp under the ripped drop cloths.  It keeps the balls there.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys have inspired me. I cleaned out my garage and set up my net to hit balls in there today. I’m gonna get the swingspeed sticks out again this week and get back to it. I’ve played a few times this year and my driving distance has been pretty poor. No ranges around me are open, and I haven’t been practicing at home. No more excuses. I have the equipment, just need to stop being lazy and take a few minutes to set it up.

It’s fun actually.  I’m getting used to just staying home.  Massachusetts is one of the 3 states left with no golf.  I’m out there for a few hours.  Hit some balls, sit around...

• 4 weeks later...

Curious if anyone else feels completely awkward doing the off hand swings.

I’ve been doing superspeed for about 10 weeks now and I still feel like a clumsy idiot swinging lefty.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

7 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

I’ve been doing superspeed for about 10 weeks now and I still feel like a clumsy idiot swinging lefty.

I’ve had surgery on my right shoulder, so turning left handed is limited. I just shorten the swing, but it still feels goofy.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

7 hours ago, Darkfrog said:

Yes.  Everyone. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

Note: This thread is 1222 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!