IGNORED

Bad Manners or Just Rude?

thehook840
Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Are you retarded?

In the context of THIS thread and the OP dilemma ... Play it down dumbass...that eliminates the poor guys problem with the gamesmanship the boss is playing. Who the hell is talking about your clients etc.?? If youre not playing by the rules of golf, especially in this guys situation... everyone is playing a different game...

Read the opening thread first..you're embarrassing yourself.

Wow such anger.

I have read the opening thread again and exactly where did you surmise that the boss was playing some sort of gamesmanship with the OP. I don't think the OP even mentioned they were playing any sort of match with each other.

So you think that as long as the OP's friend and boss gave each other their putts they were playing games with the OP.

Well you are entitled to your opinion. I will refrain from calling you names and questioning your intelligence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

I'm just curious why wouldn't you just keep trying to read his putt.. If that's a perceived advantage by you, shouldn't you keep exploiting it?

I would assume the first time the guy just didn't realize he was not away and let it go. If it happens repeatedly, it's like a guy trying to cut in line. All they think about is themselves. Kind of the definition of an a--hole.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You do realize that there is no requirement for him to mark and his lift his ball?  If he chooses to do so he may putt, rather than lift his ball, even if you have asked him to lift it.  See Rule 22-2.

So you are saying he should be a stickler for the rules for order of play, but 2 foot gimmes are okay?

I don't think Rule 22-2 applies since I don't believe it was an interference issue. Plus, I don't think we know it was stroke play. I believe Rule 10 applies.

As for 2 footers, it's only when gimmies are being taken and the course is backed up. If I'm playing a competition, we state before hand our rules on gimmies. I believe almost all of my competitions are match play (some with a medal component). In fact, my league team name is "Putt It Out". I never have a problem hearing the ball drop in the cup on every hole. It's called golf.

On the putting green the ball doesn't even have to interfere.  If the player whose turn it is asks you to lift your ball, you are required to either lift it or putt.  Granted that neither interference nor the request was indicated in the OP - just posting that for clarification.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As others have stated, it's not uncommon for some golfers to play by a different set of "standards".  Suffice to say, the vast majority of us that frequent this site are pretty serious about getting better while playing by the proper rules of golf.  At the end of the day, IMO, the whole idea of playing golf is to have fun and to enjoy yourself.  I have no delusions that I will ever be good enough to be on the tour, any tour.  So be it.  The challenge for me has always been to become the best that I can be while enjoying myself.  So, I work with my instructor and I practice and play as my schedule permits because it's a heckuva lot more fun to shoot a low score than a high one.

However, I also enjoy playing with my friends.  Some of them are, quite frankly, terrible and they lack the time (and sometimes the desire) to get better.  So, do I give them 10 footers?  Yep.  Do I let them drop instead of going back to the previous spot when we discover that they've gone OB?  Yep.  And, so on.  Why do I do this?  Simple.  Golf is hard and nobody wants to spend a day apologizing for being a poorly skilled golfer.  And, as the old adage says; even a blind squirrel finds a nut.  So, sometimes these guys will card a legitimate par or even birdie.  When this happens, that look of unbridled joy on their face is a thing of beauty.

So, how is the above relevant to the OP's query?  It's relevant in that I'm suggesting to the OP to play his game the way he enjoys it while allowing others to play the game the way they enjoy it.  Obviously, if your playing partners are obnoxious and/or raucous, then maybe at that point you can politely excuse yourself from the group or finish up the round and never play with them again.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

• Administrator

Are you retarded?

Sorry, took us awhile to get to this. @golfbarefoot has been restricted from the thread and put in the Penalty Box for one day.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On the putting green the ball doesn't even have to interfere.  If the player whose turn it is asks you to lift your ball, you are required to either lift it or putt.  Granted that neither interference nor the request was indicated in the OP - just posting that for clarification.

Lift or putt it out is for stroke play. For match play, once the ball is on the green, your opponent controls your ball. If they ask you to mark, you must mark. You can not opt to putt out instead. Actually you can if you concede the hole. :-) In 2-ball teams, I frequently give putts to opponents that are on the green so that they don't show a line to their team mate that is still in the hole. Why would someone ask another player to mark if there was no interference?

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

All I did was continue the FULL train of thought that was being discussed which involved several breaches of which order of play was the least objectionable.  If you follow that it appears that you were only concerned when when order of play was involved.  Maybe I chose a poor way to do it, but I was just pointing out that there was more to the conversation than just the order of play issue.  I tender my apology if it seemed that I was directing that at you.

OK, but let's be clear.  My concern about order of play was specifically when it was being manipulated to give one of the players an advantage which, IMO, would be a deliberate and egregious violation of the spirit of the rules.  I didn't think we really needed to critique the inappropriate giving of gimmes, since we all agree already that in stroke play a) it is against the rules, and b) people will do it anyway.  And we all agree that we should tee behind the markers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Lift or putt it out is for stroke play. For match play, once the ball is on the green, your opponent controls your ball. If they ask you to mark, you must mark. You can not opt to putt out instead. Actually you can if you concede the hole.

In 2-ball teams, I frequently give putts to opponents that are on the green so that they don't show a line to their team mate that is still in the hole.

Why would someone ask another player to mark if there was no interference?

Have you never played with a guy who just can't stand to have a ball lying on the green anywhere while he putts?  I've known quite a few of that guy.

Rick

I have a thought.  I think this thread just got interesting.

I'm curious how you manage an 8 handicap giving and taking 10 foot gimmes.

I expected a couple of responses like "I see what you did there" and that's about it.

But this response is exactly the opposite of that.  Thanks for the chuckle.

Bill - 

I expected a couple of responses like "I see what you did there" and that's about it.

But this response is exactly the opposite of that.  Thanks for the chuckle.

I'll be honest I really don't understand your response.  If you're saying you are not actually the boss referenced by the OP, then maybe I guess your reply makes a little bit of sense.

Either way your info claims an 8 handicap, but you were talking about routine 10 foot gimmes.  I'm sincerely curious how you score a round where you're giving yourself 10 foot putts.  Does a 10 foot gimme count as two strokes?  For that to elicit nothing more than a chuckle sort of lends credence to OP's side of the story.

I'm willing to bet at least 9 out of ten low handicappers on website putt out when keeping their own score.  I'm also willing to wager most of those same golfers don't care how you keep your score.

[QUOTE name="rehmwa" url="/t/78885/bad-manners-or-just-rude/72#post_1090718"]   I expected a couple of responses like "I see what you did there" and that's about it. But this response is exactly the opposite of that.  Thanks for the chuckle. [/QUOTE] I'll be honest I really don't understand your response.  If you're saying you are not actually the boss referenced by the OP, then maybe I guess your reply makes a little bit of sense. Either way your info claims an 8 handicap, but you were talking about routine 10 foot gimmes.  I'm sincerely curious how you score a round where you're giving yourself 10 foot putts.  Does a 10 foot gimme count as two strokes?  For that to elicit nothing more than a chuckle sort of lends credence to OP's side of the story. I'm willing to bet at least 9 out of ten low handicappers on website putt out when keeping their own score.  I'm also willing to wager most of those same golfers don't care how you keep your score.

He was joking, I've read many of his previous posts and he is prone to mirthy ways. :-) I'm also pretty sure you can take 10 foot gimme in a "practice" round. Actually, you're the second 20 handicapper I've read posts from who seem to doubt the existence of better golfers on this site. There are lots of good golfers out there. Just saying. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'll be honest I really don't understand your response.  If you're saying you are not actually the boss referenced by the OP, then maybe I guess your reply makes a little bit of sense.

Either way your info claims an 8 handicap, but you were talking about routine 10 foot gimmes.  I'm sincerely curious how you score a round where you're giving yourself 10 foot putts.  Does a 10 foot gimme count as two strokes?  For that to elicit nothing more than a chuckle sort of lends credence to OP's side of the story.

I'm willing to bet at least 9 out of ten low handicappers on website putt out when keeping their own score.  I'm also willing to wager most of those same golfers don't care how you keep your score.

Really?  I wrote that response as a hypothesized "point of view" of the boss character in the OP's original response.

I thought it was pretty blatant.  Most of the responses seemed to appreciate the effort.  I thought you were being funny in your response.

My handicap - I love the sound of the ball falling in the cup - no one takes that away from me.  If someone scoops up my ball and throws it too me, I'll go back and set it down and putt out any way.  My 8 was a pretty good summer.  but I'm a bit of a split personality in my golf - any 20 recent scores, I'd have 10 FANTASTIC rounds, and then 10 completely different rounds much worse.  So throwing out my worst 10 rounds gives me a very hard handicap (officially) to live up to, but that's the way it is.  too bad for me.  I think more realistically, I'd rather be held to a 12 or so.  But that's not how it works.  Come play here sometime.  I can guarantee about a 50/50 chance of a good performance on a round, but mostly likely it'll look good to you.  I definitely can guarantee a few really good bloody mary's though, and some laughs, and a bit of mockery of anyone in the area that takes themselves too seriously.

It's getting a bit snotty in here with people constantly making accusations about other players abilities and scores.  That's too bad

Bill - 

Really?  I wrote that response as a hypothesized "point of view" of the boss character in the OP's original response.

I thought it was pretty blatant.  Most of the responses seemed to appreciate the effort.  I thought you were being funny in your response.

My handicap - I love the sound of the ball falling in the cup - no one takes that away from me.  If someone scoops up my ball and throws it too me, I'll go back and set it down and putt out any way.  My 8 was a pretty good summer.  but I'm a bit of a split personality in my golf - any 20 recent scores, I'd have 10 FANTASTIC rounds, and then 10 completely different rounds much worse.  So throwing out my worst 10 rounds gives me a very hard handicap (officially) to live up to, but that's the way it is.  too bad for me.  I think more realistically, I'd rather be held to a 12 or so.  But that's not how it works.  Come play here sometime.  I can guarantee about a 50/50 chance of a good performance on a round, but mostly likely it'll look good to you.  I definitely can guarantee a few really good bloody mary's though, and some laughs, and a bit of mockery of anyone in the area that takes themselves too seriously.

It's getting a bit snotty in here with people constantly making accusations about other players abilities and scores.  That's too bad

like I said, if your reply was a facetious response to the OP, then I sort of get it.  In that light, though, it seemed to be a little mean-spirited.  Suggesting the OP had a torturous putting routine.  Golf with people who give themselves long putts seems torturous, but mostly its ridiculous.  Don't take it personal.  I thought the OP was a little whiny too, but when he talked about people giving themselves long putts...I get that.  I share a dislike of dealing with people who are above finishing.  In golf and life.

I do not doubt the existence of low handicappers on this website, or whatever lihu wrote.  The truly accomplished golfers here tend to be men of few words, rarely offering shortcuts to better golf.  My kind of golfers are here too.  Those guys love golf, respect the rules, but are capable of finding every bit of trouble an easy course offers.

I do not doubt the existence of low handicappers on this website, or whatever lihu wrote.  The truly accomplished golfers here tend to be men of few words, rarely offering shortcuts to better golf.  My kind of golfers are here too.  Those guys love golf, respect the rules, but are capable of finding every bit of trouble an easy course offers.

I don't remember meeting you, but we have run into each other somewhere, because you must have seen me play. :blink:

Rick

Have you never played with a guy who just can't stand to have a ball lying on the green anywhere while he putts?  I've known quite a few of that guy.

I don't believe I have ever played with anyone that needs all the balls marked before they putt. That seems a bit extreme.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

[quote name="Tomboys" url="/t/78885/bad-manners-or-just-rude/72#post_1090623"]Have you never played with a guy who just can't stand to have a ball lying on the green anywhere while he putts?  I've known quite a few of that guy.

I don't believe I have ever played with anyone that needs all the balls marked before they putt. That seems a bit extreme.[/quote] Its not uncommon as a courtesy around here. Its a gift regifted. That way nothing catches the eye, and you get that nice broad green to yourself sorta. I was thinking of playing down in Florida in Feb. The green fees are 175. For that much money it would be nice to play with someone that appreciates a beautiful course and knows how to make the day pleasant for others.

Tom R.

TM R1 on a USTv2, TM 3wHL on USTv2, TM Rescue 11 in 17,TM udi #3, Rocketbladez tour kbs reg, Mack Daddy 50.10,54.14,60.14, Cleveland putter

Many thanks to those of you who offered up some thoughts on the As----- boss and I can assure you all I take no offense to your opinions or thoughts just the opposite I welcome them all.  I had a chance to share a few beers with my friend over the holiday.  Of course I brought up the playing habits of the AHB.  My friend said he does that to everyone he plays with for the first few months until he establishes that he is the better golfer.  My friend said his boss truly believes he's the center of the universe with nothing above or equal to him, and his logic extends in aces to the golf course.  AHB knows that giving putts to one but not all the players will throw most off their game and counts on it to give him an advantage.  Armed with this new intel, I think spring golf will be much more fun.  I think I'll start giving myself some 10 and 15 footers, and I can feel my hay fever already beginning to act up on the tees, you know how hard a sneeze is to stop.  Since I'm a senior and he's just now 40 I may start hitting half way between the white and the yellow tees.  I'm willing to be as small as this narcissistic assh---e wants to be, hell I don't work for the jerk.

My friend did say the boss was even worst at work, so I asked why work for the jerk.  Of course he said because the money was great.

Hell, it can't be that great.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how the spring golf goes

THE HOOK 840

My friend did say the boss was even worst at work, so I asked why work for the jerk.  Of course he said because the money was great.

Thanks for the update. Anyone who has had to play boss golf or customer golf could see that coming :-)

One thought though. What your buddy said (in a different way) is that he makes more money working for this guy than he could somewhere else, the cost of the better money is taking the grief from the boss, a trade off he is okay with. So before you try stuff, recognize the boss may make your buddy pay, one way or another, for whatever antics you throw at him. Is it worth it? Folks like that just can't be "put in their place".

Maybe better to just not play with the boss anymore. He'll never let you get his goat---

Steve

Many thanks to those of you who offered up some thoughts on the As----- boss and I can assure you all I take no offense to your opinions or thoughts just the opposite I welcome them all.  I had a chance to share a few beers with my friend over the holiday.  Of course I brought up the playing habits of the AHB.  My friend said he does that to everyone he plays with for the first few months until he establishes that he is the better golfer.  My friend said his boss truly believes he's the center of the universe with nothing above or equal to him, and his logic extends in aces to the golf course.  AHB knows that giving putts to one but not all the players will throw most off their game and counts on it to give him an advantage.  Armed with this new intel, I think spring golf will be much more fun.  I think I'll start giving myself some 10 and 15 footers, and I can feel my hay fever already beginning to act up on the tees, you know how hard a sneeze is to stop.  Since I'm a senior and he's just now 40 I may start hitting half way between the white and the yellow tees.  I'm willing to be as small as this narcissistic assh---e wants to be, hell I don't work for the jerk.  My friend did say the boss was even worst at work, so I asked why work for the jerk.  Of course he said because the money was great.  Hell, it can't be that great.  Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how the spring golf goes THE HOOK 840

He might have to work for him, but does he need to golf with him? Maybe his antics doesn't bother him? Maybe he needs to get that brown off his nose? :-) Life's too short.

Note: This thread is 3366 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!