IGNORED

Smoking Weed on the Golf Course

Patch
Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The only issue I have with people smoking is if they are inconsiderate. I ask that people who play with me smoke downwind, or allow me to move ahead/fall back to avoid it. This is because I am asthmatic and it makes it fairly difficult to breathe when I inhale secondhand smoke for any period of time. I prefer to avoid this unpleasant feeling that is not conducive to lower scores, so I do what I can to keep it from happening.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Here's some more info that I probably should have added in my original post. Seems there might be a few folks on here who do care for cops. My son in laws for the most were going to let it go. They were off duty, and in plain clothes. They were on their way to meet their families and ride quads out in the desert. Their only initial interest was to see if the culprits were "OK" to drive. If they were able to drive safely it was going to be a "have a nice day"  done deal. However, the culprits, even though they knew the guys were identified cops with badges shown, became argumentative, and at one point one shoved, and took a swing at my SIL, That was all it took. The boys called the local, on duty police who took it from there.

In the past I have run into folks on the golf course who smoke their stuff. To me it not any different than having a few beers. However, as with drinking, the idea of getting into a car and driving while under the influence due over indulgence is a dangerous, and illegal activity. The irony is, if my SIL had decided these guys were too stoned to drive, he would have called them a cab before getting official with them. It's that time of year for celebrating, and calling a cab before an arrest is a very viable option in some instances. .

Then they deserve to be in jail, and I also felt they were complete jerks from the get go it's just I hate seeing a minor altercation turning into a life altering event and that's what the initial situation was and you did the right thing by leaving I would have done the same. I just don't care for people who feel the police are their own personal goons just because they either are related or friends, minor altercations somehow get blown out of proportion way too often when the police are involved, just my personal opinion.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

This is not about Marijuana as you are making it out to be.   Most people have nothing against it and it's even legal in a few States.   For me, it's the punkish behavior of the two idiots that got my goat.  1st, smoking illegal stuff in front of a minor in public place is not good.   2ndly, they were confronted by a concerned grandpa but they continued with their behavior (and gave an attitude to the OP).   How rude can the punks be?    Then, they continue their attitude in parking lot and got themselves arrested.   In Singapore, they'd be caning their bare ass until they burst with blood.   If you behave badly, you (should) get what you deserve.    A day in jail?   I'd rather see them do some serious community work on top of that.    Again, I have nothing against Marijuana - sssssssssss.

I agree ... But the OP tried to make it about marijuana with the title and exclusion of extremely vital details in the first post. And in your post that I quoted you straight up aid that they deserved to be in jail for smoking weed. That's what I was responding to. Really, the title should just be something about punks on the golf course, with the weed being a very minor detail. As opposed to the assault that was buried for 20 posts. That's some Fox News shit right there. ;)

Based on their behavior as described by the OP, I doubt if this is their only brush with the law.   People in their mid 20s smoking pot in public in front of a minor, refusing to stop smoking joint when asked, getting into altercation with off duty cops, .....

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So here's the thing that stumps me. If you're doing something illegal, or otherwise against the rules, isn't the #1 rule to never draw negative attention to yourself?

If you're smoking illegally on the course, offer some politely to others in the group, and avoid doing it in front of minors (if for no other reason than you don't know who they'll tell). Extend the same courtesies you would with a tobacco cigarette: don't blow smoke in my face and try to mind where you stand with regards to the wind. Off the course, if you're carrying illegal substances in your car, drive the speed limit and, if it's dark out, be doubly sure to have your headlights on.

When I was an undergraduate, I may or may not have partaken in underage drinking (I'm too old to do that now). We never had the music or movies too loud, or got our voices up during board games, or anything that might cause a neighbor or passer-by (including RAs on duty, when we lived on-campus) to find their attention drawn to us. I was always surprised when someone else would get busted for alcohol in the dorms (or whatever) and would act shocked, when I knew what their behavior was like during the drinking. It's like, I could feel the music and I was in a different building. Are you surprised someone with authority showed up?

I'm similarly stumped when I have students who plagiarize on an assignment and don't get caught, and then don't pick up the assignment. Then I catch them on a later one, and can go back and look more closely at previous ones and discover more misdoings. This happened to me this semester... if the students had picked up their assignments like almost everyone else had, they might have gotten away with the claim it was a one-time thing, and I'd have been hard pressed to prove otherwise.

No comment on this case in particular. I really don't care if someone smokes on the course, as long as they aren't obnoxious about it and don't expect me to partake, and that's true regardless of the legality of what they want to smoke. And if they actually took a swing at someone in plain view of a cop, well, they can consult Mr. Bill Engvall to get their sign.

Agreed.

I smoked pot like a chimney before I had a family and once retired, I might take it up again. But what I won’t do is smoke in front of someone's kid or cry about ”the man holding me down” if I get busted by the police. Why? Because it’s #@^ing illegal. Whether it should be or not is irrelevent.

While it’s true that pot-smoking is as victimless as it gets, it still requires some discretion. Same with getting drunk, swearing, hiring a hooker (if that’s what you’re into)… whatever. There are some things you just don’t do in front of kids.

If the description is accurate, these guys were a-holes towards a grandpa, his grand daughter and the police. It’s hard to feel sorry them. Right or wrong, nothing good comes from acting tough with cops. That’s common sense.

Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

This is not about Marijuana as you are making it out to be.   Most people have nothing against it and it's even legal in a few States.   For me, it's the punkish behavior of the two idiots that got my goat.  1st, smoking illegal stuff in front of a minor in public place is not good.   2ndly, they were confronted by a concerned grandpa but they continued with their behavior (and gave an attitude to the OP).   How rude can the punks be?    Then, they continue their attitude in parking lot and got themselves arrested.   In Singapore, they'd be caning their bare ass until they burst with blood.   If you behave badly, you (should) get what you deserve.    A day in jail?   I'd rather see them do some serious community work on top of that.    Again, I have nothing against Marijuana - sssssssssss.

I agree ... But the OP tried to make it about marijuana with the title and exclusion of extremely vital details in the first post.

And in your post that I quoted you straight up aid that they deserved to be in jail for smoking weed. That's what I was responding to.

Really, the title should just be something about punks on the golf course, with the weed being a very minor detail. As opposed to the assault that was buried for 20 posts. That's some Fox News shit right there. ;)

(related to this slightly)

My wife and I were paired up with two 40 something dirty looking guys.   They start drinking heavily from hole #1 and offer their drinks to me.   I don't take up on their offer.   My golf s**ks and drinking will make it even worse.   But they repeatedly offer their bottle and I continue to decline.  Then, on hole #10, they start smoking a joint (discreetly, away from my wife but within my smelling range).   But they don't offer to share their joint with me.   Never.  Hmm.  Perhaps, it was a very good stuff, too good to be shared with a perfect stranger who refused to drink out of their bottle. :hmm:

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Hmmm... The guy took a swing at your SIL.  Seems that's the most significant part of the story.  This makes the pot bit the sub-plot, not the main story.  Strange you omitted that in the original version.

but honestly, in all my years, and I've been on this earth a long time, and I smoked enough weed in college. I don't recall people getting violent on weed. Of course we were getting paraquat with our weed back then. Not like today when it's all hydroponics. And given the quality of today's weed, at least the stuff I have, I know I'd have trouble even hitting the ball. Maybe I'd be okay with one or two hits for nine holes, but any more than that and you're looking at a 70 for the nine... unless we're counting the whiffs as practice swings.

So I agree the weed is just the sub plot. There's other stuff going on.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

but honestly, in all my years, and I've been on this earth a long time, and I smoked enough weed in college. I don't recall people getting violent on weed. Of course we were getting paraquat with our weed back then. Not like today when it's all hydroponics. And given the quality of today's weed, at least the stuff I have, I know I'd have trouble even hitting the ball. Maybe I'd be okay with one or two hits for nine holes, but any more than that and you're looking at a 70 for the nine... unless we're counting the whiffs as practice swings. So I agree the weed is just the sub plot. There's other stuff going on.

Weed doesn't make you violent. Clearly these two needed to smoke some BEFORE the round with patch and his grand daughter. The main plot was kind of assumed given the original description. I already assumed the altercation aspect.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Based on their behavior as described by the OP, I doubt if this is their only brush with the law.   People in their mid 20s smoking pot in public in front of a minor, refusing to stop smoking joint when asked, getting into altercation with off duty cops, .....

Assuming of course, you believe the OP's story in its entirety. I find it a tad unbelievable that it just kinda skipped his mind to mention that one of the kids supposedly swung on a cop, which makes me question whether any of the story happened exactly as posted.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Assuming of course, you believe the OP's story in its entirety. I find it a tad unbelievable that it just kinda skipped his mind to mention that one of the kids supposedly swung on a cop, which makes me question whether any of the story happened exactly as posted.

Not really.  As all other similar posts, we are hearing from just one side.  But one thing is clear to me.   The kids smoked a joint in presence of a kid in public place.  What kind of idiot does that?  If they can do that and don't back down when confronted, what else would they likely to do?    Even reading between the OP's lines, there isn't much to defend these kids with.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I don't even drink to get drunk. When I do drink, it's because I like the taste of what I'm drinking, so I typically have one glass.

This is exactly how I am. I've said that countless times to people over the years. I drink a beer or any other alcoholic drink for the same reason I drink a Coke or chocolate milk or orange juice; I like the way it tastes. At 29 years old I can count on one hand how many times I've been drunk and still have fingers to spare; I know people who can't say that about last week.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

This is exactly how I am. I've said that countless times to people over the years. I drink a beer or any other alcoholic drink for the same reason I drink a Coke or chocolate milk or orange juice; I like the way it tastes. At 29 years old I can count on one hand how many times I've been drunk and still have fingers to spare; I know people who can't say that about last week.

Same here. I never found it appealing the idea of getting drunk.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

It's absolutely fantastic we have so many healthy livers here. I mean that. Don't read any sarcasm into that either.

I'll admit that I drink more than I should and I smoke tobacco. They are coping mechanisms. Frankly, reality sucks. For me, alcohol makes it suck a little less. I imagine that pot works the same way for a lot of people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patch

Yesterday during a round with my grand daughter, and two other, new to us, young gentlemen (25-ish?) something came up after the 4th hole. The two young guys lit up a joint. When I saw (smelled) what was going on I asked them not to do this illegal deed because my younger grand daughter was with us. If they would not, we would drop out of the group, and either play ahead, or behind them.

The fact is, if my grand daughter had not been there, I could have cared less. I would not have shared in their deed, but what they were doing is not a big deal to me personally. I actually think eventually pot will be treated like alcohol as far as American laws are concerned.

Long story short one of the guys gave me "what you a cop or something" and added that smoking pot was legal where they came from, and that I should "mind my own f-ing business" . To avoid any further problems, my grand daughter, and I  left to play by ourselves.

As it turned out the four of us wound up in the parking lot, close to each other at the end of our rounds. My son in law, and his brother who are both policemen showed up to pick up our little girl. Out of the blue my grand daughter tells her dad "those guys were smoking pot and were mean to grand pa". Well, that set off another chain events, and because of a poor attitude on their part, these guys would be spending the night in the local lock up.

Well deserved. . .

The moral of the story is to never do something bad with a little kid around. You never know what they might say. Good thing too!

yepper !

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I found it extremely appealing between the ages of about 19 and 35. Now, 15 years beyond that, I've lost sight of what the attraction ever was.

Nope, never found it appealing even when I was in college. Honestly, even if it was funny to be sober and watch other people get stupid drunk. I personally thought it was just a waste of time and stupid to do.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3386 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!