IGNORED

Smoking Weed on the Golf Course

Patch
Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Nope, never found it appealing even when I was in college. Honestly, even if it was funny to be sober and watch other people get stupid drunk. I personally thought it was just a waste of time and stupid to do.

I didn't either.

Went to school in Ada, OH ( @Jeremie Boop can tell you about that area) and there was NOTHING around. When I went there, for example, our school was the farthest of any school from the nearest McDonald's in the entire U.S. Anyway, Friday nights… 99.9% of the student population would get hammered. I'd order a pizza and watch Dinner and a Movie on TBS. Far more relaxing and didn't result in puking, becoming temporarily and/or permanently dumber (or hearing impaired), led to precisely zero embarrassing moments, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Nope, never found it appealing even when I was in college. Honestly, even if it was funny to be sober and watch other people get stupid drunk. I personally thought it was just a waste of time and stupid to do.

I didn't either.

Went to school in Ada, OH (@Jeremie Boop can tell you about that area) and there was NOTHING around. When I went there, for example, our school was the farthest of any school from the nearest McDonald's in the entire U.S. Anyway, Friday nights… 99.9% of the student population would get hammered. I'd order a pizza and watch Dinner and a Movie on TBS. Far more relaxing and didn't result in puking, becoming temporarily and/or permanently dumber (or hearing impaired), led to precisely zero embarrassing moments, etc.

Yeah, I see no reason to be stupid drunk on Fridays and Saturdays and puking in the dormitory/fraternity stairwells, elevators, windows, microwaves, etc. I played pool and billiards at the local clubs where less people got drunk, so it seemed. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I didn't either.

Went to school in Ada, OH (@Jeremie Boop can tell you about that area) and there was NOTHING around. When I went there, for example, our school was the farthest of any school from the nearest McDonald's in the entire U.S. Anyway, Friday nights… 99.9% of the student population would get hammered. I'd order a pizza and watch Dinner and a Movie on TBS. Far more relaxing and didn't result in puking, becoming temporarily and/or permanently dumber (or hearing impaired), led to precisely zero embarrassing moments, etc.

HEY! There was a bowling alley! Ada was just as bad as Columbus Grove, where I grew up. Except we didn't even have a bowling alley and we were closer to a McDonalds by a few minutes. Drinking was huge in all of Putnam County, several bars served underage people without a thought. I got stupid, black out drunk exactly one time growing up. That was more than enough to show me exactly how stupid it is to do. It sucks to have to hear people tell you all the dumb stuff you did because you don't remember it. After that I was more like Erik, except I did more reading than movie watching.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I think this thread is getting a bit :offtopic:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Thread not really about whether getting drunk is cool or not. But I don't see many if any what I would consider intoxicated people on the course. If I plan to have more than a couple beers during social golf I have an employee drop me at the course so I don't have to drive. Even if I don't leave with a small buzz I don't want to drive and the small town cops here are a-holes. Mentioned earlier even though weed is legal here I've only seen/smelled it on the course once since 2012. I like beer and cocktails but I avoid excess simply because of the health reasons, mostly the calories, not because I fear getting stupid.

Dave :-)

It's not just pot, all smoking should be put away with kids around, end of story.

And I say that as a smoker.

Good for you.  I'd extend it to put it away if anyone in the group doesn't smoke.  I know that's a bit more extreme.

In any case the dopers were total a$$holes and inconsiderate.

Also extremely stupid to do something illegal in in a public place.

Even more stupid to do it in front of total strangers (you don't know who you are in front of or how they will react).

Even more stupid to do it in front of a child

Even more stupid to do it and have an attitude about it and call names.

This turned out just about as perfect as possible frankly.

Bill - 

I think this thread is getting a bit :offtopic:

[quote name="Dave2512" url="/t/78900/smoking-mother-nature-on-the-golf-course/60#post_1089762"]Thread not really about whether getting drunk is cool or not. But I don't see many if any what I would consider intoxicated people on the course. If I plan to have more than a couple beers during social golf I have an employee drop me at the course so I don't have to drive. Even if I don't leave with a small buzz I don't want to drive and the small town cops here are a-holes. Mentioned earlier even though weed is legal here I've only seen/smelled it on the course once since 2012. I like beer and cocktails but I avoid excess simply because of the health reasons, mostly the calories, not because I fear getting stupid. [/quote]Threads not really about marijyana either so ...

Threads not really about marijyana either so ...

it's about self righteously breaking any law in front of a minor

Bill - 

I just don't get the idea of the need to get high or buzzed while playing golf.???  Can people not enjoy things Sober.?

Pain relief.

What about having a beer while bowling? or watching a ballgame? or at the beach, is that bad too?

Exactly.  In the story, were the off duty cops checking to see if people who were drinking beers while they were playing were OK to drive?  If I HAD to choose. I'd rather be on the road with people who were driving stoned than people who were driving drunk.

If anyone needs pot for medical reasons, that's fine, but do it at home. Using that for an excuse to do it public, just don't cut it in my book.

Well your book is obviously pretty biased, judging from your comments.  But personally I'm going to keep playing golf, thank you very much.  I use the stuff for pain relief.  I doubt anyone I've played with has ever even realized I have taken a couple of puffs.  I am very discrete and I do not smoke, I vape, so there is no smell at all.  And I don't get high, it just eases the pain.  Like the Norco's and Vicodon's I used to have to take but which would have addicted me eventually.

So here's the thing that stumps me. If you're doing something illegal, or otherwise against the rules, isn't the #1 rule to never draw negative attention to yourself?

Absolutely.  As I said above, I doubt anyone I have played with has ever even known I was taking an occasional puff.

One more comment on this, I can drink a beer or have a glass of wine to enjoy the taste without getting buzzed.  The whole point of smoking pot is to get high.  As such the two can't really be compared in a strictly social setting.

No that is not the whole point of smoking any more than getting drunk is the whole point of drinking.  And I can get pain relief without getting buzzed.

Weed doesn't make you violent.

Exactly why our society's attitudes towards the two substances are crazy.  We would be far better off as a society, IMO, if every drunk became a pothead.  People getting stoned do not get mean and violent the way some people do when they drink.

The guys in the story were jerks because they were jerks not because they smoked weed.  That was just the venue for their expression of their jerk-hood.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

A little ... But mostly about a holes who try to solve their problems with fighting, and who just happen to like pot.

Only if you believe this fish tale, I don't. His second post was too perfect in the way he answered every question about how it happened, chronological even to the previously posted doubts. He fabricated his second post as a means to an end. I don't doubt a variation of it happened but the second post is fantasy. The holes were easy to see from the beginning.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

One more comment on this, I can drink a beer or have a glass of wine to enjoy the taste without getting buzzed.  The whole point of smoking pot is to get high.  As such the two can't really be compared in a strictly social setting.

No that is not the whole point of smoking any more than getting drunk is the whole point of drinking.  And I can get pain relief without getting buzzed.

Get real.... with the potency of today's marijuana, it only takes a couple tokes to get higher than an entire joint would get you back in my smoking days.  There is zero reason to smoke pot except to get high, and if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.  Even for pain relief, you are still getting high, and it's actually been proven that for pain, it's more effective to refine the effective ingredients out of the plant and administer them without the smoke or the high.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Only if you believe this fish tale, I don't. His second post was too perfect in the way he answered every question about how it happened, chronological even to the previously posted doubts. He fabricated his second post as a means to an end. I don't doubt a variation of it happened but the second post is fantasy. The holes were easy to see from the beginning.

The illegality aspect of this argument is a red herring to me. One local golf course is in a state park and has signage that alcohol is banned on the course as such. Meanwhile, the mobile food cart sells booze and the bartender will bag your beers in ice for you. It's similar in other places I've been to. There's some arbitrary line-drawing to turn around and hold up the illegality of marijuana as the issue in a case like this when there's a cavalier attitude towards alcohol on golf courses (and the pervasive DUI of people drinking while operating carts). I don't care for it myself, but on a golf course, it takes some real stubbornness from both parties to be really upset by it. I mentioned earlier, I played this weekend with a guy who asked if it was OK to smoke it (Actually, he showed me a joint and asked if it was cool; being the square I am, I thought it was a cigarette until I smelled it, haha). I saw him smoking a good part of the 4 hours we were on the course and the one or two times I got any whiff of it, I took literally one or two steps away from the direction of the wind and was clear of any hint of it. It just seems to me both smokers (pot or tobacco) and those around could so easily co-exist that it takes, as I said, extreme stubbornness from both to really create an issue in a wide open outdoor venue like a golf course.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

• Administrator
Get real.... with the potency of today's marijuana, it only takes a couple tokes to get higher than an entire joint would get you back in my smoking days.  There is zero reason to smoke pot except to get high, and if you think otherwise you are kidding yourself.  Even for pain relief, you are still getting high, and it's actually been proven that for pain, it's more effective to refine the effective ingredients out of the plant and administer them without the smoke or the high.

Rick, dude, cut the BS. @turtleback , no need to respond to nonsense. You're welcome to, I just advise you to let this look stupid all on its own.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rick you are wrong here. I have a 71 year old friend that spent a lifetime in religious education. He is ultra conservative, not in the political sense, always wears slacks, listens to classical music, doesn't curse etc. He lived through the 60's and never considered using any elicit drugs. Several years ago he developed achalasia and his symptoms were so bad the pain prevented him from eating and he wasted away to nothing. His options were a feeding tube or weed at the suggestion of his PCP. Marijuana changed maybe even saved his life. Within a few weeks he gained weight and eating though not pleasant was bearable. He doesn't use weed to get high.

Wow buddy do not hurt yourself falling off that really high horse! Maybe stick to the Rules of Golf and telling us how your course handles everything to perfection.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

yeah, that second post was a strange one... the cops were off duty and in plain clothes but their badges clearly visible... something's not adding up :-X .

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

The illegality aspect of this argument is a red herring to me. One local golf course is in a state park and has signage that alcohol is banned on the course as such. Meanwhile, the mobile food cart sells booze and the bartender will bag your beers in ice for you. It's similar in other places I've been to. There's some arbitrary line-drawing to turn around and hold up the illegality of marijuana as the issue in a case like this when there's a cavalier attitude towards alcohol on golf courses (and the pervasive DUI of people drinking while operating carts). I don't care for it myself, but on a golf course, it takes some real stubbornness from both parties to be really upset by it. I mentioned earlier, I played this weekend with a guy who asked if it was OK to smoke it (Actually, he showed me a joint and asked if it was cool; being the square I am, I thought it was a cigarette until I smelled it, haha). I saw him smoking a good part of the 4 hours we were on the course and the one or two times I got any whiff of it, I took literally one or two steps away from the direction of the wind and was clear of any hint of it. It just seems to me both smokers (pot or tobacco) and those around could so easily co-exist that it takes, as I said, extreme stubbornness from both to really create an issue in a wide open outdoor venue like a golf course.

This is a different thing and has to do with liquor licensing, bringing your own liquor is the problem here.

Note: This thread is 3387 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!