IGNORED

Smoking Weed on the Golf Course

Patch
Note:Β This thread is 3365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Interesting. I agree we don't know everything there is to know here, but a kid saying it with the corroboration of an adult is enough to warrant it in my eyes.

I could see reporting it to the course or something but I would beΒ leery ofΒ approaching strangersΒ based on the report of grandpa and a young child. Though if I am grandpa I diffuse it before it gets that far.Β If for no other reason it could get nasty and even a cop isn't exempt from arrest if the situation escalates. That the family is involved would be enough bias for his superiors or any responding officers to question the validity of his involvementΒ in the encounter. If I was a parent and a cop I would use it as an example of what not to do n publicΒ and how to best handle it, not only the smokers but how I showed restraint.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

What about having a beer while bowling? or watching a ballgame? or at the beach, is that bad too?

Well, in cali, you can't drink or smoke on our beaches..As for your question, why do you need to alter your state of mind to do anything..? Β Maybe 1 beer won't affect some, but in my experience, hardy anyone stops at just 1 beer. And then there's the matter of them Driving home, while possibly under the influence..

If anyone needs pot for medical reasons, that's fine, but do it at home. Using that for an excuse to do it public, just don't cut it in my book.

Uh no. A badge doesn't allow cops to do whatever they want just because they are pissed and it certainly doesn't extend to their families c'mon. Even if they have a legit reason to issue disorderly citation it's a ticket not a trip to county.

But that seems to be the truth and sort of brings up an entitlement opinion with some, " You better not do that cause my sons a cop and will be here later". The rest of us have to be afraid of cops and their immediate families and friends because they can put swift justice upon us? That is not what the police are for but it seems they are used in this way. The two young jerks would have been on their way and does the OP think about what harm this may have put upon these guys and their families? Quite likely job loss and other problems like losing a home or even divorce, I think people feel swift revenge is just and all the consequences someone else suffers for that are just too bad. I agree they were jerks but a night in jail along like with everything else that could happen? come on do we really want to live in a society where one small misstep can ruin your whole life, and believe me this has happened to people I know so it's not far fetched.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3Β  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tourΒ Β 14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Take the attitude out of the story and the fact remains that a couple of kids smoked pot in front of a minor in a public place.Β  Spending a day in jail will teach them to be more discreet.Β Β  Who knows?Β  The lesson might save them from getting into bigger trouble with the law in future.Β Β  But then again, they may come out of jail with more anger and hatred against little kids and will never have children of their own. ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Uh no. A badge doesn't allow cops to do whatever they want just because they are pissed and it certainly doesn't extend to their families c'mon. Even if they have a legit reason to issue disorderly citation it's a ticket not a trip to county.

But that seems to be the truth and sort of brings up an entitlement opinion with some, " You better not do that cause my sons a cop and will be here later". The rest of us have to be afraid of cops and their immediate families and friends because they can put swift justice upon us? That is not what the police are for but it seems they are used in this way. The two young jerks would have been on their way and does the OP think about what harm this may have put upon these guys and their families? Quite likely job loss and other problems like losing a home or even divorce, I think people feel swift revenge is just and all the consequences someone else suffers for that are just too bad. I agree they were jerks but a night in jail along like with everything else that could happen? come on do we really want to live in a society where one small misstep can ruin your whole life, and believe me this has happened to people I know so it's not far fetched.

It was the unwillingness for them to stop their illegal behavior with a minor present. I'm not anti-pot, but I am anti-bully. Their behavior was not only illegal, but they were pushing around an older gentleman and his grand daughter.

Maybe it's fate that they are destined to work in a field where their drug record does not have to be too clean. Would you want someone like that working in air traffic control? or some other critical job where your life or health might depend on it?

Would you want a person who treats children and elderly in such a manner to be your boss, someday?

These are the things I was thinking of when I typed out my initial response.

Take the attitude out of the story and the fact remains that a couple of kids smoked pot in front of a minor in a public place.Β  Spending a day in jail will teach them to be more discreet.Β Β  Who knows?Β  The lesson might save them from getting into bigger trouble with the law in future.Β Β  But then again, they may come out of jail with more anger and hatred against little kids and will never have children of their own.

It's not the end of the world for them, but they hopefully will have learned some humility, if anything.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It was the unwillingness for them to stop their illegal behavior with a minor present. I'm not anti-pot, but I am anti-bully. Their behavior was not only illegal, but they were pushing around an older gentleman and his grand daughter.

This ^^^

I smoke the stuff. I'll admit it. I can't drink because of meds, but this stuff doesn't interfere with the meds. I also use common sense: don't smoke and drive. I have manners.

The request was clear - if you want to play with us, fine, please don't smoke in front of my granddaughter.

I think that if they weren't going to stop, that they should have let the OP play ahead. That way everyone could have enjoyed their day. That was the common sense solution. But people tend not to use common sense.

I also haven't tried smoking on the golf course. I think I have enough trouble with my game already.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Question is, if using marijuana can cause all those possible consequences if caught, why do it?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

• Administrator

What about having a beer while bowling? or watching a ballgame? or at the beach, is that bad too?

I've never understood that approach to life myself.

I prefer to be clear-headed. That has always struck me as far more fun than anything else. I don't even drink to get drunk. When I do drink, it's because I like the taste of what I'm drinking, so I typically have one glass.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Here's some more info that I probably should have added in my original post. Seems there might be a few folks on here who do care for cops. My son in laws for the most were going to let it go. They were off duty, and in plain clothes. They were on their way to meet their families and ride quads out in the desert. Their only initial interest was to see if the culprits were "OK" to drive. If they were able to drive safely it was going to be a "have a nice day" Β done deal. However, the culprits, even though they knew the guys were identified cops with badges shown, became argumentative, and at one point one shoved, and took a swing at my SIL, That was all it took. The boys called the local, on duty police who took it from there.

In the past I have run into folks on the golf course who smoke their stuff. To me it not any different than having a few beers. However, as with drinking, the idea of getting into a car and driving while under the influence due over indulgence is a dangerous, and illegal activity. The irony is, if my SIL had decided these guys were too stoned to drive, he would have called them a cab before getting official with them. It's that time of year for celebrating, and calling a cab before an arrest is a very viable option in some instances. .

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Here's some more info that I probably should have added in my original post. Seems there might be a few folks on here who do care for cops. My son in laws for the most were going to let it go. They were off duty, and in plain clothes. They were on their way to meet their families and ride quads out in the desert. Their only initial interest was to see if the culprits were "OK" to drive. If they were able to drive safely it was going to be a "have a nice day" Β done deal. However, the culprits, even though they knew the guys were identified cops with badges shown, became argumentative, and at one point one shoved, and took a swing at my SIL, That was all it took. The boys called the local, on duty police who took it from there.

In the past I have run into folks on the golf course who smoke their stuff. To me it not any different than having a few beers. However, as with drinking, the idea of getting into a car and driving while under the influence due over indulgence is a dangerous, and illegal activity. The irony is, if my SIL had decided these guys were too stoned to drive, he would have called them a cab before getting official with them. It's that time of year for celebrating, and calling a cab before an arrest is a very viable option in some instances. .

That is an extremely important detail you had left out in your original post.

That explains a night in jail for assault and battery.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex:Β EZone BladesΒ (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron: Β 2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Take the attitude out of the story and the fact remains that a couple of kids smoked pot in front of a minor in a public place.Β  Spending a day in jail will teach them to be more discreet.Β Β  Who knows?Β  The lesson might save them from getting into bigger trouble with the law in future.Β Β  But then again, they may come out of jail with more anger and hatred against little kids and will never have children of their own. ;-)

I believe that is an overreaction of absurd levels. The golf course itself practically encourages everybody to drink, regardless of whether or not minors are nearby. It's courteous to avoid smoking cigarrettes close to others, but certainly not even remotely close to illegal. Marijuana is less dangerous to people than either of those, but because its a "drug" then two kids deserve a day in jail? That's laughable to me. id be curious to know how open these kids were about it. We're they blowing smoke directly in your daughters face? Or was it more like they smoked over there and you could smell it? I play golf with a friend who smokes weed and I'll share a cart with him, and more often than not, I'll not even notice when he does it.

So here's the thing that stumps me. If you're doing something illegal, or otherwise against the rules, isn't the #1 rule to never draw negative attention to yourself? If you're smoking illegally on the course, offer some politely to others in the group, and avoid doing it in front of minors (if for no other reason than you don't know who they'll tell). Extend the same courtesies you would with a tobacco cigarette: don't blow smoke in my face and try to mind where you stand with regards to the wind. Off the course, if you're carrying illegal substances in your car, drive the speed limit and, if it's dark out, be doubly sure to have your headlights on. When I was an undergraduate, I may or may not have partaken in underage drinking (I'm too old to do that now). We never had the music or movies too loud, or got our voices up during board games, or anything that might cause a neighbor or passer-by (including RAs on duty, when we lived on-campus) to find their attention drawn to us. I was always surprised when someone else would get busted for alcohol in the dorms (or whatever) and would act shocked, when I knew what their behavior was like during the drinking. It's like, I could feel the music and I was in a different building. Are you surprised someone with authority showed up? I'm similarly stumped when I have students who plagiarize on an assignment and don't get caught, and then don't pick up the assignment. Then I catch them on a later one, and can go back and look more closely at previous ones and discover more misdoings. This happened to me this semester... if the students had picked up their assignments like almost everyone else had, they might have gotten away with the claim it was a one-time thing, and I'd have been hard pressed to prove otherwise. No comment on this case in particular. I really don't care if someone smokes on the course, as long as they aren't obnoxious about it and don't expect me to partake, and that's true regardless of the legality of what they want to smoke. And if they actually took a swing at someone in plain view of a cop, well, they can consult Mr. Bill Engvall to get their sign.
  • Upvote 1

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

That is an extremely important detail you had left out in your original post. That explains a night in jail for assault and battery.

Lol yeah, can't imagine why it was left out. :roll: This thread is heading the direction of the CCW on the course thread. By the time it's locked the offenders will be depicted as hardcore gangsters.

id be curious to know how open these kids were about it. We're they blowing smoke directly in your daughters face? Or was it more like they smoked over there and you could smell it?

I have a 5-year-old daughter who accompanies me to the course quite frequently and I'll state unequivocally that nobody is going to smoke weed in her presence. In most cases I could handle such a situation just by walking/driving away, but I can envision scenarios where a bit more interaction might be necessary. I'd try very hard for a civil resolution, but one way or another, it would be resolved.

I'm sorry, but if the story as related is true, I have a real difficult time giving a chit about a couple of disrespectful punks getting cuffed and stuffed.

• Upvote 1

John

Very important detail.

And wow.... took a swing? That's really what did it.

Well like I think I might have said....

*use common sense

*be polite

and we add another one. Thinking of playing with another twosome? Not so fast. The other twosome might be crazy.

Julia

:callaway:Β Β :cobra:Β Β Β Β :seemore:Β Β :bushnell:Β  :clicgear:Β Β :adidas:Β Β :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree;Β 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5Β degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Unless it included breaking a law bad attitude isn't a crime. If the story is true as told I find it just as tacky that two off-duty LEO's found it appropriate to confront f-bomb dropping pot smokers. If it escalated it's because they chose to get involved. Doesn't sound like the joint smokers did anything in the lot to provoke that prior to the kids comment.

From what I read, the pot smokers escalated it right from the start when the OP asked then not to smoke it in front of his granddaughter. Β They seemed to be cruising for a confrontation from the beginning, and with that sort of attitude problem, the end result was probably inevitable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

I just don't get the idea of the need to get high or buzzed while playing golf.??? Β Can people not enjoy things Sober.?

All of those situations happen to be legal. Β In this case the offenders used as an excuse that since they were from a state where marijuana was legal, it was then okay for them to do as they pleased in a state where it was not legal. Β Not only were they wrong, but they were stupid as well. Β They were actually giving some support to the faction that believes that smoking pot damages brain cells.

One more comment on this, I can drink a beer or have a glass of wine to enjoy the taste without getting buzzed. Β The whole point of smoking pot is to get high. Β As such the two can't really be compared in a strictly social setting.

Quote:

Originally Posted byΒ Golfingdad

id be curious to know how open these kids were about it. We're they blowing smoke directly in your daughters face? Or was it more like they smoked over there and you could smell it?

I have a 5-year-old daughter who accompanies me to the course quite frequently and I'll state unequivocally that nobody is going to smoke weed in her presence. In most cases I could handle such a situation just by walking/driving away, but I can envision scenarios where a bit more interaction might be necessary. I'd try very hard for a civil resolution, but one way or another, it would be resolved.

I'm sorry, but if the story as related is true, I have a real difficult time giving a chit about a couple of disrespectful punks getting cuffed and stuffed.

Gotta agree with this. Β I'm not anti-pot by any means, but smoking is not an entitlement, even where it's legal, any more than drinking is.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Very important detail.

Not only an important detail but suspiciously a direct explanation that corresponds toΒ and answersΒ some of the doubts raised prior to his last post.Β A little too perfect.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Take the attitude out of the story and the fact remains that a couple of kids smoked pot in front of a minor in a public place.Β  Spending a day in jail will teach them to be more discreet.Β Β  Who knows?Β  The lesson might save them from getting into bigger trouble with the law in future.Β Β  But then again, they may come out of jail with more anger and hatred against little kids and will never have children of their own.

I believe that is an overreaction of absurd levels. The golf course itself practically encourages everybody to drink, regardless of whether or not minors are nearby. It's courteous to avoid smoking cigarrettes close to others, but certainly not even remotely close to illegal. Marijuana is less dangerous to people than either of those, but because its a "drug" then two kids deserve a day in jail? That's laughable to me.

I play golf with a friend who smokes weed and I'll share a cart with him, and more often than not, I'll not even notice when he does it.

This is not about Marijuana as you are making it out to be.Β Β  Most people have nothing against it and it's even legal in a few States.Β Β  For me, it's the punkish behavior of the two idiots that got my goat.Β  1st, smoking illegal stuff in front of a minor in public place is not good.Β Β  2ndly, they were confronted by a concerned grandpa but they continued with their behavior (and gave an attitude to the OP).Β Β  How rude can the punks be?Β Β Β  Then, they continue their attitude in parking lot and got themselves arrested.Β Β  In Singapore, they'd be caning their bare ass until they burst with blood.Β Β  If you behave badly, you (should) get what you deserve.Β Β Β  A day in jail?Β Β  I'd rather see them do some serious community work on top of that.Β Β Β  Again, I have nothing against Marijuana - sssssssssss.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note:Β This thread is 3365 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!