IGNORED

What is your go to range for an approach shot for birdie? ( POLL)

Spitfisher
Note: This thread is 3397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. In need of a birdie on a par 4, what is your desired yardage range to stick one tight?

• <60
    • 61-70
    • 71-80
    • 81-90
    • 91-100
    • 101-110
    • 111-120
    • 121-130
    • 131-140
    • 141-150
    • 151-160
    • 160>

Ok, then shall I say 10 feet or is 15 feet something that you're more willing to not be skeptical about?

All @Phil McGleno was pointing out was that not even the best players in the world consistently hit it 8ft from 80-90 yards.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ok, then shall I say 10 feet or is 15 feet something that you're more willing to not be skeptical about?

Considering that 15' 2" is 20th on the PGA tour, with the median pro being at around 17' 6", I would say it's still doubtful.

Averaging about 20' from the hole would be more probable than the other 3 figures mentioned.

I rarely make birdies, but I would say I'm equally accurate from 60-145 from a good shot, but am more consistent closer. I could honestly do it from most yardage so just need to hit a good shot, which I don't do often

I voted 150 just because on my home course that's roughly where I have to make it stick from for a birdie on a par 4, ideally within 60 yards but im not a long driver and the course is quite long.

I voted 150 just because on my home course that's roughly where I have to make it stick from for a birdie on a par 4, ideally within 60 yards but im not a long driver and the course is quite long.

Welcome to The Sand Trap @lawz

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

At your handicap, I would think you would have the 1/2 and 3/4 shots in your arsenal.  I picked these up very quickly this year.  It literally took me a couple of grass range seasons to get comfortable with it.  The key, of course, was given by @iacas and @mvmac .  Keep the swing speed the same, just shorten the backswing.

In my opinion, it should be easier for high handicap players to master 1/2 and 3/4 shots than full swings.  They tend to over-reach at the top and that creates issues on the downswing.

I agree with the 3/4 swing, not so much the 1/2 swing or less.

I play within a large(>30) group of regular golfers with handicaps ranging from 0-15ish.  I see way more 1/2 swing shortish 25-40 yard shots that are mishit or misjudged, than I do 3/4 or more

60-80 yarders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

At your handicap, I would think you would have the 1/2 and 3/4 shots in your arsenal.  I picked these up very quickly this year.  It literally took me a couple of grass range seasons to get comfortable with it.  The key, of course, was given by @iacas and @mvmac .  Keep the swing speed the same, just shorten the backswing.

In my opinion, it should be easier for high handicap players to master 1/2 and 3/4 shots than full swings.  They tend to over-reach at the top and that creates issues on the downswing.

I agree with the 3/4 swing, not so much the 1/2 swing or less.

I play within a large(>30) group of regular golfers with handicaps ranging from 0-15ish.  I see way more 1/2 swing shortish 25-40 yard shots that are mishit or misjudged, than I do 3/4 or more

60-80 yarders.

I agree that 1/2 swing require more work than 3/4.  I think people bail out on them or swing too slow.  If I am that close (25 - 40), a pitch or chip maybe a better option anyway.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I agree that 1/2 swing require more work than 3/4.  I think people bail out on them or swing too slow.  If I am that close (25 - 40), a pitch or chip maybe a better option anyway.

Correct, players just make a 3/4 backswing and then just "swing slower" on the downswing. Just make a shorter backswing length and don't change the downswing speed.

Mike McLoughlin

No, and this is exactly why perception, in the absence of hard number data, is a terrible guide.  You think, based on your (mistaken) perceptions that these are reasonable figures, whereas in fact you are talking absolute nonsense.  If you had the actual data it is likely that it would show that you are more than 100% wrong if you thought you were usually within 8 feet from 80 yards.  And yet I do not doubt your good faith and honesty in making that statement - i.e., I am sure you really believe that you are usually within 8 ft..  It is a combination of selective memory and confirmation bias that leads us (all, I'm not picking on you personally)  to such mistaken impressions.  In the absence of actual data, which LSW now provides, we all think all kinds of things that are wrong.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I voted <60, but there is faint hope that I can drive all but the shortest par 4 to that range. Typically have 90 to 160 left and will go for the pin up to about 120, past that it's center green.

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Last year I ended up in situations where I was 30 to 40 yds out and it wasn't for a GIR. It was for trying to go up and down. What had been happening is that I usually ended up skulling the ball over the green, adding yet another two strokes to the hole. So I spent time practicing with my LW until I got really comfortable hitting that 20 to 40 yd shot with it, because I usually had to pitch it over a bunker, or over water. Out of rough, and off a tight lie. I'm even comfortable with a full shot with it.

But we have 2 par 4s that are within LW second shots, and three par 5s that are within LW for a third shot -- if I play my first shots well. So that makes it a comfortable shot. I hope to make more pars and some birdies there next season.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Just as @mvmac ound I get into trouble for 1/2 or 3/4 shots when I baby them - a lot seems to go wrong as this results in an altered swing tempo ... usually wind up skulling or chunking it.   ITs particularly bad with my 58°, which is what I like to use for most the 40-60 yd feel shots.      I've been working on the abbreviated backswing and coming through HARD - which is close to the same tempo as my full swing and it works so much better & is dramatically more reliable.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Just as @mvmac says ... I've found I get into trouble for 1/2 or 3/4 shots when I baby them - a lot seems to go wrong as this results in an altered swing tempo ... usually wind up skulling or chunking it.   ITs particularly bad with my 58°, which is what I like to use for most the 40-60 yd feel shots.      I've been working on the abbreviated backswing and coming through HARD - which is close to the same tempo as my full swing and it works so much better & is dramatically more reliable.

+1

Same for me. Have improved dramatically on the range, just the courses are too wet to try for real!

Callaway Big Bertha V Series 10.5 Driver stiff shaft
Benross Hot Speed 16 deg 3 fw
Callaway XR 22 deg hybrid
Callaway XR 25 deg hybrid
Callaway Big Bertha 6-pw
Callaway Mack Daddy 3 48/54/60 wedges
Odyssey White Hot Pro Havok

I was going to be a smart ass and pick <60 because putting for an eagle is my best chance for a birdie. But seriously I love a shoulder high GW into the green. I feel like I can stick the club on the back of the ball and control it. We''re always playing in the wind and that distance changes but usually around 90 yards.

I picked 101-110. I think that others have said above that the question/answer needs more explaining and I would agree. 1) At 101-110 yds I have a couple different options: I can hit a full sand wedge that will back up, I can hit a 3/4 gap wedge that will spin a little, or I can hit a 3/4-1/2 pitching wedge that will run out a little. Whereas with 60 yds I really don't feel as comfortable hitting a 3/4 lob wedge, I would probably try to run a pitch up there which limits my options. 2) If I need a birdie (which is always, so my strategy never really changes) my best chance is from the fairway, duh, therefore if I have no chance of reaching with driver I'll use as short a club as possible and try to leave myself around 95-110 yds. 3) If I'm laying up on a par five I'm not going to hit driver and then 9i just so that I can have 95-110 yds, I'm going to hit it as close as possible while still avoiding trouble. All that being said, give me a 60 yd bump and run type shot any day.

I picked <60 yards. I want to get as close to the hole as I can. I also took the <60 yard shot to mean 30-60 yards.

They're delusional ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

I don't think the question was unclear. Instead, I think that it illustrates that you have the same misconception that most golfers do: lay up to a go-to distance. Closer is better.

Two things:

You're already hitting driver, but your birdie approach shot distance is based on hole length? You're already playing it as close as possible, unless you're suggesting you hit a shorter club on a short par 4 to get to your preferred distance.

The poll question would almost be impossible to answer if everyone had to evaluate their driving distance on the courses they play. What if I need a birdie but I'm stuck facing the 440 yard par 4? I couldn't get to any distance I'd be comfortable making birdie on anyway, so the question would essentially boil down to "From what approach distance would you score better from?" which would still be <60 yards.

They're really not. It's a much simpler motion than a full swing. Most high handicap players have an issue with these shots because they generally have bad mechanics and don't practice them much, but I'd probably say high handicap players face these shots more often than better players (due to mis-hits and so forth). The fact that they can get the ball on or near the green from 50 yards but manage to hit a full shot poorly enough from a greater distance to leave them with a 50 yard shot kind of speaks to the fallacy that a full swing is better.

You should try the experiment @colin007 suggested. Chart the dispersion. At your handicap, it should be even easier to hit the 50 yard pitch shot than most of us. You might miss the first one, but you should dial the distance in real quickly, whereas you can only be so accurate from 100 yards no matter how good you are.

There are a lot of presumptions and way over analyzing you have written about. I don't care to answer all of them .  I answered the poll as 111-120 yards, Because I can take a club(s) that I am comfortable will and tend to have that distance dialed in. with 3 different clubs and 3 different swings etc. My course there is not one single hole that I can drive and be inside 90 Yards there fore I did not answer it that way.

I can not remember anytime that I went driver, then  X Iron to be  at my 110-120 distance on a long par 4 or par 5. I just dont' play that way nor need to.  BTW I agreed with Colin007.

Note: This thread is 3397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!