IGNORED

New 60-65" TV

iacas
Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4K broadcast is still a few years away but Netflix and some other online sites offer 4K programming.  I also hook it up to my computer and stream video I take with my 4K camera.  I kept my last television 8 years so I hope to get the same out of this one and can't imagine that 8K will gain a real foothold before then.

Netflix has Breaking Bad in 4K. Almost enough to warrant a full series re-watch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Netflix has Breaking Bad in 4K. Almost enough to warrant a full series re-watch.

I stopped my Netflix subscription awhile ago.

Really leaning toward this one now instead. Half the price and… none of the "smart" crap I won't use, etc. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4OBXWI/ . If it lasts four years, so be it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

We've had our 55" Samsung for 4 yrs, my Son has had his Samsung for 6 yrs..and not 1 problem. This is just to re enforce your decision... :-D

• Administrator

We've had our 55" Samsung for 4 yrs, my Son has had his Samsung for 6 yrs..and not 1 problem. This is just to re enforce your decision...

They're both Samsungs… :D

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I stopped my Netflix subscription awhile ago.

Really leaning toward this one now instead. Half the price and… none of the "smart" crap I won't use, etc. http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4OBXWI/ . If it lasts four years, so be it.

I like Samsung products so I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  The one you're leaning towards has only 2 HDMI ports which for me is not enough (Cable, DVD, Xbox One, PS4, laptop).  You can get an HDMI switch box, but that adds to the cost.

Another feature I like about the one that is the same model as mine is that all the inputs (HDMI, CATV, RCA) are plugged into a box that is separate from the television and only one cable runs from the box to the television.  If you are going to use the stand it's not a big deal but I hung the 85" and having to bury only one cable in the wall was nice.

Joe Paradiso

Wirecutter disagrees with you. I don't know what TV you're talking about as you don't link to anything. Source video is only 60 Hz, my current TV is 720p (60", a Sony KDF60XS955 rear projection LCD), and so the Samsung seems like a good way to go since I don't need the speakers on the Sony in the article. Thanks, @newtogolf , you have the 85" version of this same TV?

The 2 links in ur original post were to a 55" Samsung and a 65" Sony. I was referring to the Sammy, as I thought I had pointed out?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

I like Samsung products so I don't think you can go wrong with either one.  The one you're leaning towards has only 2 HDMI ports which for me is not enough (Cable, DVD, Xbox One, PS4, laptop).  You can get an HDMI switch box, but that adds to the cost.

I only really need one. Receiver -> TV. The receiver controls everything.

Though I may wire the AppleTV into the TV directly. So that would take up the second port.

I ordered the plasma. More good things were said about it than the other product. Like here: http://hdguru.com/samsung-pn64h5000-review/ .

Another feature I like about the one that is the same model as mine is that all the inputs (HDMI, CATV, RCA) are plugged into a box that is separate from the television and only one cable runs from the box to the television.  If you are going to use the stand it's not a big deal but I hung the 85" and having to bury only one cable in the wall was nice.

Yeah… my receiver handles all of that. My TV sits in a corner, too. No need to hang it.

The 2 links in ur original post were to a 55" Samsung and a 65" Sony. I was referring to the Sammy, as I thought I had pointed out?

Actually it's a link to a 50" Samsung, a 55", a 60", a 65", and maybe even 75" and 85". And I said that it was recommended highly in the article, not that it was the main recommendation in the article.

I ended up buying the one recommended as good for gaming. I don't care about 4K at this point (I sit too far away for it to matter anyway), and the $1200 I saved was nice. Even if the thing lasts four years, I may be able to replace it with a TV as good as or better than the current $2500 one for about $1200 by then.

I only really need one. Receiver -> TV. The receiver controls everything. Though I may wire the AppleTV into the TV directly. So that would take up the second port. I ordered the plasma. More good things were said about it than the other product. Like here: [URL=http://hdguru.com/samsung-pn64h5000-review/]http://hdguru.com/samsung-pn64h5000-review/[/URL] . Yeah… my receiver handles all of that. My TV sits in a corner, too. No need to hang it. Actually it's a link to a 50" Samsung, a 55", a 60", a 65", and maybe even 75" and 85". And I said that it was recommended highly in the article, not that it was the main recommendation in the article. I ended up buying the one recommended as good for gaming. I don't care about 4K at this point (I sit too far away for it to matter anyway), and the $1200 I saved was nice. Even if the thing lasts four years, I may be able to replace it with a TV as good as or better than the current $2500 one for about $1200 by then.

Can't go wrong with that choice. Enjoy!

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

• Administrator

Change of plans.

Brother-in-law works for Wal-Mart, so I picked up an LG 60PB5600 (60" LG Plasma) for $500. Was listed for $648 but they hadn't even gotten to the floor in a year so we got a good deal on it.

Even if it lasts two years it'll be a worthwhile stopgap.

The only weird thing is that it has one HDMI input, so I'm not entirely sure what to do about the AppleTV now.

Change of plans.

Brother-in-law works for Wal-Mart, so I picked up an LG 60PB5600 (60" LG Plasma) for $500. Was listed for $648 but they hadn't even gotten to the floor in a year so we got a good deal on it.

Even if it lasts two years it'll be a worthwhile stopgap.

The only weird thing is that it has one HDMI input, so I'm not entirely sure what to do about the AppleTV now.

You can get an HDMI switch box and allows you to select an input source.  They range in price depending on number of HDMI inputs you want and if you want a push button or remote.  I had one (push button) on my old television and it worked okay.

Joe Paradiso

we just upgraded to a 65" Samsung (really like the Samsungs) smart TV.  NOT the 4K though.  Didn't think the extra was worth it.

240 of course

enjoying it a LOT

this is plenty crispy - I'll see if I can find the model number and post.  some shows the resolution is so crispy that it's almost a bit annoying and looks weird - the edges can be too good.

this Smart TV is used as monitor typically through the Bose entertainment center with inputs to the Bose being Satellite feed, the Wii and the Blue Ray and it works great and everything is run through the Bose remote.  However, the SMART TV aspect is leveraged by using it as another input into instead of out from the Bose to pull internet and Netflix directly from the Smart TV but still have the surround sound of the Bose.  Switching input is super easy.

If I had unlimited funds, I'd go Curv and 4K, but I don't really think the extra is as noticeable, and how many signals nowadays have enough info for the extra capability to leverage anyway?  It's only good if you are getting enough data for the 4K to take advantage of it.  Certainly this is fine with typical HD satellite signal.

Bill - 

We have a large plasma TV and the quality and picture is amazing.   They tend to be heavier and warmer than a LCD/LED but the picture is very sharp, especially for sports.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I just got a new 55" Samsung smart tv at best buy the day after Christmas for $660, it's 120hz smart tv, it replaced my 52" dlp tv. The picture is unreal, it's so clear that some shows and movies look like fake cgi.

• 7 months later...

4K broadcast is still a few years away but Netflix and some other online sites offer 4K programming.  I also hook it up to my computer and stream video I take with my 4K camera.  I kept my last television 8 years so I hope to get the same out of this one and can't imagine that 8K will gain a real foothold before then.

I just re-signed up with Netflix to watch UHD programs on my Samsung curved 65" UHD TV (2014 model, I think).   There are more UHD programs on Netflix than before but very few I like.   I watched Smurfs, II (just b/c it was UHD, no other reason) and the picture quality was stunning.  My wife and I loved the movie, too :-) .   Crouching Tiger was a huge disappointment from UHD perspective and after just 5 minutes, we stopped watching it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I just re-signed up with Netflix to watch UHD programs on my Samsung curved 65" UHD TV (2014 model, I think).   There are more UHD programs on Netflix than before but very few I like.   I watched Smurfs, II (just b/c it was UHD, no other reason) and the picture quality was stunning.  My wife and I loved the movie, too .   Crouching Tiger was a huge disappointment from UHD perspective and after just 5 minutes, we stopped watching it.

Samsung is really good with keeping their boxes updated so make sure you install the updates as they come available as some made great improvements to the picture quality.

Joe Paradiso

I just bought a 4k super HD 55" ... picture sucks.    The picture is only as good as your cable signal (which in my case is nowhere near as good as they have in the stores where the TV's look awesome)

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I just bought a 4k super HD 55" ... picture sucks.    The picture is only as good as your cable signal (which in my case is nowhere near as good as they have in the stores where the TV's look awesome)

Which is why I bought 4k video cameras (to generate my own 4k content), and signed up for Netflix.   YouTube also has a good amount of 4k content.   Check them out if you want to see what your TV can do.    Please note that your WIFI/Network has to be fast enough to handle 4k downloading.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 3143 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!