IGNORED

Nickent 3dx irons and other problems

tmoult
Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today, i went to golf town to look at a new set of clubs. I went to look at the nickent 3dx irons the ones that have the cavity in the back tho no the carbon backed fibre ones. I was talking to the guy and he said i should get steel shafts is this true????? Im 14 years old nearly 15, 130 5'7. I am a competitive soccer player so not to bragg but i have strong muscles for my age. I had a swing speed at about 75-80mph on avg, but once had a 93 mph swing speed. Is this true should i get steel shafts??? Also do you think these nickent irons will work for me: http://www.golftown.com/gtcommerce/s...-P2543C23.aspx

Im also looking to buy a new driver i am a consistent slicer and need a new driver, i tried the os ping g5 and it seemed to work fairly well. Is this a good driver for me? Also if anyone could suggest any other clubs for me this would help. One last question what ball should i use????

Sorry, it's kind of a disjointed paragraph but im pretty tired just came home from hill training.

Thanks,

Thomas

Hello Thomas,

I would like to offer my opinions to what you've asked. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) but you are about to begin a journey that will surely last a lifetime. Isn't that great? Looking at the Nickent Iron set I believe that would be a good set to start with. As for graphite vs. steel I am partial to steel for your age. I do believe it to be a matter of preference and only you can tell which one you like better. I recommend trying (demo) both shafts to determine what you are most comfortable with. Will this retailer custom fit you? Will they perform swing analysis if you purchase the set and what was his basis on recommending the equipment (shaft) he did? Do you trust the salesperson's judgment as being knowledgeable? The type of equipment is important no doubt, but being fitted properly (which includes shaft length, swing weight and lie and loft angles) is vital and shouldn't be overlooked.

If you are in doubt of the type of clubs you may want, I suggest seeing if there are manufacturers offering 'demo days' in your area. Most manufacturers travel around the country allowing customers to try their products at driving ranges and golf courses. The same goes for drivers and fairway woods. Get the clubs in your hands if possible first before committing and determine what feels and looks good to you.

Best of luck!
Doug

Listing of companies offering demo days and their web site links...

http://golf.about.com/cs/clubmanufac...a/demodays.htm

(bottom of page)
In my staff bag
Driver: 907D2 - 9.5° - X100
3-Wood: PT13 - 13° - X300
Irons: MP-33 - 2i - PW - X300
Wedges: Vokey 54° & 58°Putter: Anser - 33" - (Face weighted)Ball: Pro V1x

Thanks very much, i got to try out the clubs in golf town you hit on those "virtual" driving ranges, i guess you would call it. My swing speed was normally around 80mph and i beleive 11 degress of loft, (im not quite sure). He said he would recommend steel because i am just going to get stronger and he said graphite may become to flexy, he said i'm also growing and i dont want to be replacing shafts for 200$ compared to steel shafts for 12$. The guy seemed fairly knowlegable but wasn't that helpful.

I have the 3DX's and you wont be disappointed. They are very durable as far as looks go - and are butter when properly struck - best of all I picked mine up for next to nothing off ebay.

Concerning the shaft - I would say its a no-brainer. Go with steel for the following reasons:
In general graphite gives a bit more distance but less control - since Nickent has stronger lofts to begin with - I would personally go with steel. Its kind of like having your cake and eating it too. You would have stronger lofts for distance and better control with the steel shafts. Personally, like with any set of irons, if you spend the time with them and grow and learn with them - you wont be disappointed.

I have the 3DX's and you wont be disappointed. They are very durable as far as looks go - and are butter when properly struck - best of all I picked mine up for next to nothing off ebay.

OK, just to clarify you have the cavity back ones correct????

Thanks very much tho this helps me a considerable amount.

Today, i went to golf town to look at a new set of clubs. I went to look at the nickent 3dx irons the ones that have the cavity in the back tho no the carbon backed fibre ones. I was talking to the guy and he said i should get steel shafts is this true????? Im 14 years old nearly 15, 130 5'7. I am a competitive soccer player so not to bragg but i have strong muscles for my age. I had a swing speed at about 75-80mph on avg, but once had a 93 mph swing speed. Is this true should i get steel shafts??? Also do you think these nickent irons will work for me:

Telling you a little about me, I am also 14, almost 15 aswell, but i am 5'1" 105lbs. I also lay competitive soccer. I am also getting Nickent irons, but I am getting some of the blades. I use steel shafts, but my swing speed is higher, its averaging at around 97-98 mph. But as it has been said I would reccomend steel shafts. As for the driver I ws a slicer, and then i got my Nike SQ SUMO, and I can hit the ball straight and it added about 20 yards. Also it is now down to about $200-$300.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Telling you a little about me, I am also 14, almost 15 aswell, but i am 5'1" 105lbs. I also lay competitive soccer. I am also getting Nickent irons, but I am getting some of the blades. I use steel shafts, but my swing speed is higher, its averaging at around 97-98 mph. But as it has been said I would reccomend steel shafts. As for the driver I ws a slicer, and then i got my Nike SQ SUMO, and I can hit the ball straight and it added about 20 yards. Also it is now down to about $200-$300.

OK the blades are harder to hit tho correct????? And do you have the square nike or the triangular one?????

Yes, blades are harder to make solid contact with.

Driver: 10.5* SuperQuad TP 1st Edition All Black V2 Stiff
5 Wood - 585.h 19* DG S300
Irons: 3-PW S59 Stiff
Wedges: Rac TP 52*, 60* MP-T 56*
Putter(s): Anser 3 TP Black ballGET TO SINGLE DIGITS!Goal: Beat a certain admin that lives in my town

OK the blades are harder to hit tho correct????? And do you have the square nike or the triangular one?????

Yes the blades are harder to hit, for you I would suggest the cavity backs, and I have the normal (well more normal) driver.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

I think im gonna get cavity backs tho,blades may be too hard to hit. Can anyone suggest a good driver????

Try the Nike SQ SUMO, IMO it's great!

Here's what I play:

I am also 14. I am quite a skinny, small build and swing my stiff shaft driver around 102mph. I use steel shafts as they are a lot more controlable and better for workability.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

So it definitly sounds like steel shafts. Now for driver???

Try the Nike SQ SUMO!!!

Here's what I play:

Note: This thread is 4138 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!