IGNORED

Parsons Xtreme Golf, GoDaddy Founder Starts New Golf Company

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh, I forgot to mention something else I read -- it's about the signature screws on the irons.

The screws were just supposed to be used in the prototype to determine where and how much weight to position for design purposes.

Did not get the story, but the weights were kept -- it makes sense if you go to a clubmaker and he is making small adjustments for your typical miss. And I guess he can change them when you correct your typical miss.

Interesting story... 

I think the reason to buy is you've gone mad, or have the discretionary income and you've gone mad -- is performance -- they're not beautiful and they're not "butter face." Sort of middling as to the 0311 -- maybe it's function over form for that market. Let's focus on distance, feel, and performance ... :-)

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 6:34 AM, Golfingdad said:

I'm a bit intrigued ... just really don't like the name.  Xtreme screams "short-lived" and "gimmick" to me.  If it was just the irons with that name, that would be fine, but the company should just call themselves Parsons Golf.

I played a lot of racquetball and the cheap racquets always had names like "Rage", "Smash". "Extreme", "Punisher", etc.  While the good ones had names like "PZ-165" and "Tour Graphite".  The name 'Extreme' just doesn't engender warm fuzzies.........

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

44 minutes ago, metbid said:

I played a lot of racquetball and the cheap racquets always had names like "Rage", "Smash". "Extreme", "Punisher", etc.  While the good ones had names like "PZ-165" and "Tour Graphite".  The name 'Extreme' just doesn't engender warm fuzzies.........

I think the name is PXG as used on the clubs, and the iron model is 0311 and 0311T. Model names are related to the military and Parson's service as a rifleman. It seems personal to him.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Regardless - when they want to offer a few free sets for The Sandtrap product test and reviews, I'll demo a custom set.  Just cause the fitting itself would be fun.

As for the company, rich guy that's a gear fanatic, who's probably just having the time of his life doing something he likes and doesn't care if he loses money or not.  Good for him.  Good for the economy.

Bill - 

8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

They are pricey and stand out, no one will mistake a PXG for another club.  I only know one person that has their irons and he has nothing but positive things to say about the irons.  

Funny you mention that ... I did a double take today on a playing partners Callaway wedges because I thought for a second they were PXGs.

pxg-golf-wedge.jpg

MD3Wedges14-1024x6831-e1441298919258.jpg

:-P

I had no idea what that logo was when I saw it the last few days. I am not sure where they are advertising these so far.  I agree with the rest of the guys on here with the name. Not sure why he thought this was a good idea. Imho it should be "Parsons X Golf" if he really wants the logo. We'll see how long this lasts. Ryan Moore is often the kiss of death...:-P

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I had no idea what that logo was when I saw it the last few days. I am not sure where they are advertising these so far.  I agree with the rest of the guys on here with the name. Not sure why he thought this was a good idea. Imho it should be "Parsons X Golf" if he really wants the logo. We'll see how long this lasts. Ryan Moore is often the kiss of death...:-P

It can last as long as he wants it to last: he has billions of dollars to spend if he wants.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

They have a number of pros signed with them now.

https://www.pxg.com/pros

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

How do they feel any reviews> I have heard that they are filled with some kind of polymer or foam and the face is ultra thin steel construction. Not sure how they are forged that way?

'' The patented technology of an ultra-thin face coupled with a structural thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) material produces a more efficient energy transfer, resulting in higher ball speeds. Maximizing ball speed is of the utmost importance with regard to distance and distance control. ''

https://www.pxg.com/

Innovation-OutWeighs-Costs.jpg

Edited by Mike Boatright

6 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I have heard that they are filled with some kind of polymer or foam and the face is ultra thin steel construction. Not sure how they are forged that way?

Usually for forged multi-piece irons, the face and the body of the iron are separately forged, then welded together. The TPE is probably injected before they put the two pieces together, but don't quote me on that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 months later...
On March 26, 2016 at 8:03 PM, billchao said:

Usually for forged multi-piece irons, the face and the body of the iron are separately forged, then welded together. The TPE is probably injected before they put the two pieces together, but don't quote me on that.

The TPE is injected after face and body are joined, through one of the holes for the weights (screws).

Feel is extremely soft and forgiving. Still awaiting them. Club is jewel-like, great satin finish.

Distance is comparable to new age irons - CF16, Srixon 545 ... I hit an uphill 160 yd demo 7i, which is long for me. Some were 170 on the sim. I am no big hitter, not the Llama - low 90 driver SS, smooth.

Hybrids long when paired with a fitted shaft. As a mature golfer, my fitter put a 50g Bassara UL in the hybrids, and gosh, easy to swing. The hybrd looks like a slimmed down XR hybrid with better feel and sound. I'd say comparable distance (depends on shaft). Looks are really impressive - some guys were afraid to touch them they are so jewel-like out of the box.

Not for everyone, and no club is ... but if one plans to keep a set of irons for 3-5 years, or intends to ... it might be justifiable.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Desmond said:

... but if one plans to keep a set of irons for 3-5 years, or intends to ... it might be justifiable.

Your phrasing makes it sound like you think that's a long time to keep a set of irons. :-P

I've purchased fewer sets of irons in my life than cars - and I run cars into the ground. ;)

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Your phrasing makes it sound like you think that's a long time to keep a set of irons. :-P

Haha I thought the same thing. Somebody is a club ho ;-)

9 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I've purchased fewer sets of irons in my life than cars - and I run cars into the ground. ;)

Generally, you want to drive your irons into the ground and keep your cars on top of it.

• Upvote 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

Generally, you want to drive your irons into the ground and keep your cars on top of it.

Well, now you tell me!:-P

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Since 2011, 2 irons sets. Will give one to nephews. Work continues on swing with my instructor, but as my clubfitter said, "Jerry, you're no spring chicken -- go light, go less flex, go longer... go PXG. You need distance, Pal."

And so it began.

• Upvote 1

Got to him some recently and thought they did a great job. Not sure they're worth $300/350 a head but they look nice and perform well. Can definitely see the PING influence.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

18 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Got to him some recently and thought they did a great job. Not sure they're worth $300/350 a head but they look nice and perform well. Can definitely see the PING influence.

First time I had the 0311 7i in my hand, I look up at address and say, "How very Ping of them." My instructor, who is a dealer, looks up, smiles, and says, "Ya' think?" As you know, Parsons lured 2 senior Ping vets away to start his company.  The hybrids are also attractive, moreso in hand than in pics. Sound is solid yet feel at impact is still lively - an effective balance.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

I tested the PXG irons, they are really nice but I decided the Callaway CF16 were a more cost effective solution for me and I put the savings towards a SkyTrak so I can better work on my swing at home.   If money isn't a concern I'd definitely suggest you give them a try.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2731 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!