IGNORED

My Swing (GolfLug)

GolfLug

It has been interesting stretch of golf last two months. Have played only 3 rounds but all of them were VSGA tournament rounds. Played some of the best courses in Virginia. Swing was feast or famine. 

Have had some of the best stretch of driving but also some of the worst I have hit in a long time - all within the same rounds. 

Couldn't figure why club was not getting to the top on plane. Visited all my posts since last year and finally was able to figure it out. 

On 9/25/2018 at 10:26 AM, GolfLug said:

A1 Map: Low hands with 'unified' forearms at address almost at knee level. Peripheral attention to target. 

A1 Feel:  Arms, hands and club hang with neither wrists or elbows locked.

@iacas

It seemed I was locking left elbow and wrist in an attempt to get some takeaway width. For me structurally that's an invite to sway and goat hump. A big loopy transition and an overly inside clubhead drop to an impact path only a prayer could save. 

Anyway got some softness and 'springiness' back in all left joints - wrist, elbow, hip and knee. The difference was huge. A full turn with keys 1&2 intact and pop at impact. 

Let's see if I can hang on to it in the money game tomorrow. 

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 1

Vishal S.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 5 weeks later...

Spin a bit high, launch on the low side. I think once I get these improved I can carry consistently over 235 on the better half of my hits.

Screenshot_20191222-145949.png

Vishal S.

Finally got a few to carry 240 today. Have no idea if I can bring it to the course but will be happy if 70 percent of my drives carry 230. 

Screenshot_20191225-174603.png

Vishal S.

• 2 months later...

It's been 6 ish weeks since I broke my ankle in a climbing fall. So eager to start rehabing but non weight bearing for 2 more weeks. 

Since I can't make full swings probably till July, have been doing dry slow movements and a lot of putting with my right ankle propped up on a knee scooter. 

I think this may apply to my full swing, chipping and pitching  alike, but a major fault is applying structural downward  and/or outward pressure with my left thumb by locking wrist and elbow. I believe it is a serious path modifier and results in a block as the club wants to drop inwards to align with structural pressure. The face then determines a severe slice or hook. 

So? Welp, so the idea is nothing good comes out of pressuring the shaft until the very moment of impact. Starts with a soft hanging set up and then let shaft swing around the non-stiff upper body with a ropy left arm and soft hands and do my best to never pressure the shaft outward or downward in the DS.

For putting, trying to continue to work on a little armsy 'shove-pop' stroke instead a full torso/shoulder rocking motion. Seems simpler and ball seems to be rolling truer. Was starting to make a lot more short ones and sense of distance was much better last few rounds before the forced hiatus began.

Now all I gotta do it train myself to DO IT for good. :-)). 

Hope summer will be sunny, figuratively speaking. Chin up.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Vishal S.

I hope you have a speedy recovery!

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

So doctor cleared me to do partial weight bearing for a couple of weeks. Did some dry backswings for a couple of minutes focusing only on forward weight and steady head with softness in upper body, arms and hands.

Of course, have been icing ankle since.. 😄

Edited by GolfLug
  • Like 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Oh boy!

Don't push too hard. Not early.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
27 minutes ago, iacas said:

Oh boy!

Yeah, I got my 2 month stirs out of system now. Back in boot. No worries, all good. Zero side push.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

(edited)
4 hours ago, iacas said:

Oh boy!

Couldn't help studying the maiden effort a bit. The one glaring thing I see is still the slight arm lift from A1 to A2 which leads to the slight flatness in the shoulder pitch and club shaft across the line at A4

But I absolutely have to cup lead wrist so maybe not a a terribly bad thing, plus right wrist is soft and comfortably in pizza at A4 so the club lays off at transition fairly well which is a big win from all the work last few years. All in all what I am thinking and feeling is starting to align with what I am seeing on camera. 

I think these are things I can clean up when I get back into swing of things in a few months. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• 1 month later...

Focus on pulling back right shoulder and hip and filling right palm A1 to A2 with weight on left. Helps with a full shoulder turn back in BS, and hence in return helps with clearing left side in DS.

Vishal S.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Driver off the deck. Better bend at setup. Clubhead outside of hands at A2 good without upper arm lift. Torso lift at A4 little off-putting which promotes a tad bit of early extension and armsy impact/release but all in all I feel like turn rates not terrible though. 

@iacas, anything?

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

39 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Driver off the deck. Better bend at setup. Clubhead outside of hands at A2 good without upper arm lift. Torso lift at A4 little off-putting which promotes a tad bit of early extension and armsy impact/release but all in all I feel like turn rates not terrible though. 

@iacas, anything?

That mat with no cushion underneath it directly on top of a stone patio scares the shit out of me.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 minutes ago, billchao said:

That mat with no cushion underneath it directly on top of a stone patio scares the shit out of me.

IDK, never bothered me. I do it fairly frequently.

P.S. My son was at a safe distance.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, GolfLug said:

IDK, never bothered me. I do it fairly frequently.

P.S. My son was at a safe distance.

That thing is like laying down a towel on concrete and hitting balls off of it, man. You're not worried about hitting down on it and possibly damaging your clubs or hurting yourself?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

That thing is like laying down a towel on concrete and hitting balls off of it, man. You're not worried about hitting down on it and possibly damaging your clubs or hurting yourself?

I hear what you're saying but honestly not sure what to say. Have been doing it for years. 

The mat has good rubber padding so definitely not like a towel. 

Also, I am decidedly a picker. Not by design but can't take a thick divot to save my life. Never have. I scrape of hard pan and thin lies but that's it. 

I hit full irons of the carpet in my den with wiffle balls. Haven't stubbed it in 10+ years. Not once. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator
4 hours ago, GolfLug said:

@iacas, anything?

Yeah. You're up and out, then shallow, then across the line during the backswing. Then you shallow out the whole downswing.

I'd love to see more of the opposite. Backswing:

• Hands trace inward with turn.
  • Shaft steep at first.
  • Shaft lays off late.

This will let you on the downswing:

• Let the club tip out.
  • Club will go from shallow (laid off) to steep.

Again, this is NOT a typical pattern for others, but Vishal has some unique things that he has to compensate for, and this is the best pattern for him.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah. You're up and out, then shallow, then across the line during the backswing. Then you shallow out the whole downswing.

I'd love to see more of the opposite. Backswing:

• Hands trace inward with turn.
  • Shaft steep at first.
  • Shaft lays off late.

This will let you on the downswing:

• Let the club tip out.
  • Club will go from shallow (laid off) to steep.

Again, this is NOT a typical pattern for others, but Vishal has some unique things that he has to compensate for, and this is the best pattern for him.

So would say hands a bit deeper A1 to A2?

Vishal S.