IGNORED

Hole-in-one? Or easy birdie? Would you count it?

Foursum Golf
Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Hole-in-one? Or easy birdie? Would you count it?

• Count it. That's an ace.
    • Easy birdie, assuming I make the putt.
    • I'd probably 3-putt.

A hole in one plus a penalty stroke is still only a birdie.

But it's still a birdie. An ace with a penalty stroke. As for the incident when the opponent knocks it away in a match, the hole is WON but not counted as an ace. it still would be a birdie and a win, even if the opponent birdies the hole...

Yes I know ... I was the one who linked the rule earlier.  I was specifically referring to the second half of his comment only.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So into the realm of goofy scenarios -

the other guy gets up to the green and putts (the flag was left in, I don't know why as this is a goofy scenario) while you are just walking onto the green and his ball jars that one loose.  the ball is knocked in.

he was in a hurry, didn't see your stuck ball, you do as you walk on as you are on the other side.

how about now?  ace?

Bill - 

What if you go to tap it in and it doesn't move?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

the other guy gets up to the green and putts (the flag was left in, I don't know why as this is a goofy scenario) while you are just walking onto the green and his ball jars that one loose.  the ball is knocked in.

he was in a hurry, didn't see your stuck ball, you do as you walk on as you are on the other side.

how about now?  ace?

I don't see why that would be any different than if your ball was sitting 2 inches from the hole ... in which case you have to replace it.  Oh, and if he's putting from on the green, I believe that he gets a 2 stroke penalty.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

By rule, it's a birdie - IF he makes the putt.

Are you sure?  It looks like its entirely possible that after the hole is repaired and he goes to place it, it'll just fall into the hole.  In which case: http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-16/#d16-2-0.5 would apply, yes?

Since the decision says that the ball must be placed on the lip, that means placed at rest.  It's implied that the ball will then be tapped in to hole out.  If the ball won't stay at rest when placed, then it needs to be placed in a location where it will stay at rest.

The case that you quote is a different scenario where the ball is being placed on the spot from which it was lifted.

The forward movement of the club with the intent to strike the ball is a stroke.  It now lies two and you just blew your birdie chance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehmwa

how about now?  ace?

I don't see why that would be any different than if your ball was sitting 2 inches from the hole ... in which case you have to replace it.  Oh, and if he's putting from on the green, I believe that he gets a 2 stroke penalty.

Yep!

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Since the decision says that the ball must be placed on the lip, that means placed at rest.  It's implied that the ball will then be tapped in to hole out.  If the ball won't stay at rest when placed, then it needs to be placed in a location where it will stay at rest.

The case that you quote is a different scenario where the ball is being placed on the spot from which it was lifted.

Ah, OK.  So the language is specific in saying to place it on the lip of the hole, as opposed to what I was assuming, which was that you'd place it in the exact vertical plane of where it's currently sitting.

Thanks!

But it's still a birdie. An ace with a penalty stroke. As for the incident when the opponent knocks it away in a match, the hole is WON but not counted as an ace. it still would be a birdie and a win, even if the opponent birdies the hole...

I would count it as an ace. Not sure why a penalty stroke would be incurred unless it was because the original question said they were attempting to putt it in, in which case the ball moved after address. If they didn't address it, I don't see why a stroke would be incurred if the ace was allowed. You are allowed to lift clean and replace was close as possible to the original spot. no nearer the hole. To me that looks like it would be in the hole. Placing on the lip would be farther from the hole. I think the two decisions are in conflict. So what else is new in the world of the "Rules of Golf". Kind of like "Bizzaro World". :-D I'd expect a drink from the person making the ace, dammit!

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Are you sure?  It looks like its entirely possible that after the hole is repaired and he goes to place it, it'll just fall into the hole.  In which case: [URL=http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-16/#d16-2-0.5]http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-16/#d16-2-0.5[/URL] would apply, yes?

What if while pulling the flag, the stick touches the ball and it falls in? Just curious.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Take your ace because everybody knows thats what it is regardless of any rule.Your shot plugged into the lip of the hole and after placing ball back after repairing the mark the ball will not stay up because most of it is over the hole.You shouldnt have to move your ball back from original spot until it stays put.Now if its in a tourny im not sure how that works.

Can you repair the lip of the hole before everyone has played out the hole? Or is it simply treated as a plugged green shot where the golfer is allowed to attempt repairs to the pitch mark?

Also, I wonder if anyone has missed that tap in birdie due to the emotional anguish of having just missed the ace? :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1st, you got to stop the time from ticking since the ball has to fall in within 10 seconds.   Call Einstein, stop everyone's watches & smartphones from ticking, do something to stop the time.  Next, wait for earthquake, tilt the earth axis, stomp up and down in unison inches from the hole, generate some wind,do something to knock the ball in.

Or, how about photoshopping the picture to make it look like the ball is in the bottom of the hole?

Get the other players (eye witnesses) drunk so that they can't remember if the ball was in the hole or not.  Then, insist it was a hole in one when the subject comes up.

( You can probably tell that I never had a hole in one before ... )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1st, you got to stop the time from ticking since the ball has to fall in within 10 seconds.   Call Einstein, stop everyone's watches & smartphones from ticking, do something to stop the time.  Next, wait for earthquake, tilt the earth axis, stomp up and down in unison inches from the hole, generate some wind,do something to knock the ball in. Or, how about photoshopping the picture to make it look like the ball is in the bottom of the hole? Get the other players (eye witnesses) drunk so that they can't remember if the ball was in the hole or not.  Then, insist it was a hole in one when the subject comes up. ( You can probably tell that I never had a hole in one before ... )

Or have you, Looked like a HIO to me :) or maybe I wad drunk

What if a thunderstorm comes along and dislodges the ball?[quote name="DrvFrShow" url="/t/79115/hole-in-one-or-easy-birdie-would-you-count-it#post_1093031"]Aside from hitting the ball away from the hole on purpose, has anyone putting toward the hole ever missed a putt where the ball is overhanging the lip of the hole? [/quote] I have. In fact twice on the same hole. On this par 4, I hit a drive that went into a hole in the first cut. I had to take a wedge and just hack it out. I then hit an iron to within 3 feet of the pin. I lipped out then putt. So I did a Hale Irwin on the 3 inch putt. Then I did it again.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

• Administrator

Not an ace. Birdie, if you make the putt.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So I did a Hale Irwin on the 3 inch putt. Then I did it again.

3" is not the same as overhanging the lip, though you still should have made the putt :-P

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones View Post

Your foursome mocks you unmercifully for the rest of the round and on into the 19th hole for not marking and cleaning. :dance:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rehmwa View Post

how about now?  ace?

Huh?  Under what rule?  A ball moved by another ball has to be replaced.  Rule 18-5 is pretty clear

Quote:

18-5 . By Another Ball

If a ball in play and at rest is moved by another ball in motion after a stroke , the moved ball must be replaced.

The real bottom line on this, IMO, is that anyone can write any number on the card.  But the ROG say it is a birdie.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Wow can't believe it avoided the stick.

Because it didn't....?  I'm getting convinced the saying needs to change from "Fish Stories" to Golf Stories"........

then again when I hit my hole-in-one, it short-hop bounced, hit the flag stick and went down for an Ace!

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet - is there a time limit the ball can sit there? If you get to the green and it falls, is it an ace? What about when you pull the flag stick out assuming you don't touch the ball?

Will W

Note: This thread is 3384 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!