IGNORED

Want to try to turn pro

golfrocks
Note: This thread is 3374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So many are called, so few are chosen.

And many more are clueless on what it takes to be a world class athlete in any sport.   Tragically, many of those are pushy parents who grossly overestimate their kids' talent.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And many more are clueless on what it takes to be a world class athlete in any sport.   Tragically, many of those are pushy parents who grossly overestimate their kids' talent.

Reminds me of the anecdote where John Daly is sitting at the bar, sees Tiger walking by to the range, invites him to sit down asking why he's working so hard, Tiger responds to JD "If I had your talent I wouldn't have to" meaning most of us have no clue how really freaking good these guys are.

Colin P.

A lot of people don't know this about me but I had a pretty impressive junior golf career. I nearly turned pro or at least thought about working on the game a bit more after winning this bad boy.

• Upvote 1

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

A lot of people don't know this about me but I had a pretty impressive junior golf career. I nearly turned pro or at least thought about working on the game a bit more after winning this bad boy.

Wow! That's the big time! :dance:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

hey sorry guys i haven't posted anything in a few days…. but I'm going to try turning pro i know its gonna take me a lot of work but i think i can do it! i only started playing golf 2 years ago and I'm already a eight handicap. but i really want to be one and all i need to do is work my butt off!

hey sorry guys i haven't posted anything in a few days…. but I'm going to try turning pro i know its gonna take me a lot of work but i think i can do it! i only started playing golf 2 years ago and I'm already a eight handicap. but i really want to be one and all i need to do is work my butt off!

At least you have the dream, go for it. :-) Just keep your doors open for a backup plan. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No. That is not all you have to do.

Why do you think you can do it? You mean you would like top do it.

If you can consistently break 70 and shoot low 60s on ordinary courses in good conditions a lot of the time in a year's time you might  have a chance of becoming a middle pro on a pay for play tour with no spectators.

The fact that you really want to be one means nothing. Of course you do. Who wouldn't.

Are you prepared to spend $2000 -$3000 a week travelling and paying for accommodation and entry fees and probably getting none of it back? Sleeping in a car or some horrible motel on your own a long way from home? That's what being a pro golfer means, pretty much for all but the elite. It is not glamorous.

Get an education.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

You want to do it? Practice really hard. Daily. Get on your school's team. That means you'll have to get your grades up. Sorry kid.

Listening to you describe your GPA, it doesn't look like you'll get into a 4 yr school so you'll have to go the community college > transfer route. Don't stop playing. Try out for their team. You'll have to maintain a decent GPA while you're playing. If football players can do it, you can, too. Then transfer to a four year college and get a degree probably in business anyway. That's what most athletes do, or sports psychology. Play on their team, and maintain a good GPA. When you graduate, you can try to turn pro if you're good enough. You'll have tournament experience paid for by the college under your belt....

Unless you're a prodigy like Michelle Wie, Lexi Thompson, Lydia Ko, or Tiger Woods, I wouldn't think about turning pro right out of high school. But in the mean time practice hard and study hard.

But unless you're in the top echelon of pros you're not going to be living a glamorous life. Just like if you're not among well known recording artists, you will not be living a glamorous life in the music business. It's rough out there. Everyone is just struggling to get by.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Kyle Suppa is a 16 year old amateur in the field this week at the Sony Open in Hawaii. If you get a chance, watch the tournament, and you'll see a bit of him. That'll give you a little idea of what your peers that have a chance....just a chance....of playing on tour are doing these days. And yeah, there are a bunch just like him out there. Here's a little more on this kid.....and again, he's just one of many, in a relatively small place like Hawaii. http://www.amateurgolf.com/11862-GolfNews-Hawaii-Stroke-Play-Junior-Suppa-wins-by-6

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not trying to kill a kids dream, but also will put my 2 cents in.

It is one thing to become a scratch golfer on the average muni that most of use are playing. It is a whole different ball game when you are trying to play scratch on the courses and conditions that these tour pros are playing in. I myself thought I was a good putter, until I came face to face with greens that were stimped around 13, let me just say I was humbled...lol

Not that it isn't possible, but it takes a whole lot more than just hard work. These guys are just damn good and have a natural feel that most all of us do not have. I have been to the Farmers Insurance Open as well as Tiger Woods Challenge(when it used to be held out here in CA) and when you watch these guys in action, it will blow your mind. This game is effortless to these pros, it is second nature.

Anyways, my 2 cents. Good luck!

I knew you were a pro! I could see it in your laser sharp eyes.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hate to dampen anyone's dreams, because I had the same dreams and was lucky enough to play professionally for a few years. I also currently coach a few players with similar aspirations.  But here is a great piece of information straight from the mouth Dr. Rick Jensen, who is one of the leading sports psychologists in the US: in the entire world, there are 10 players born every year who will play for more than 3 years with fully exempt status on the PGA Tour. 7 of those players will come from the United States.

Had I known that at the time I chose to pursue a playing career, I may still have tried because I believed that much in myself and I had shot some very low scores. But that's the reality, for better or worse. Best of luck and make sure you are the best putter out of all of the great ball strikers you know before you take the leap.

• Upvote 3

Paul Kaster - 5SK Director of Instruction for Northern New Jersey

Teaching Professional

The Golf Cave

Royce Brook Academy of Golf

www.paulkastergolf.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like my Facebook for updates

Hate to dampen anyone's dreams, because I had the same dreams and was lucky enough to play professionally for a few years. I also currently coach a few players with similar aspirations.  But here is a great piece of information straight from the mouth Dr. Rick Jensen, who is one of the leading sports psychologists in the US: in the entire world, there are 10 players born every year who will play for more than 3 years with fully exempt status on the PGA Tour. 7 of those players will come from the United States.

Had I known that at the time I chose to pursue a playing career, I may still have tried because I believed that much in myself and I had shot some very low scores. But that's the reality, for better or worse. Best of luck and make sure you are the best putter out of all of the great ball strikers you know before you take the leap.

Welcome to TST. Thanks for posting this!

So, first you are saying you need to be a "great" ball striker and to putt more or less like a "pro"?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Welcome to TST. Thanks for posting this! So, first you are saying you need to be a "great" ball striker and to putt more or less like a "pro"?

That's how I understood it anyway.. Welcome to the site Paul!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I knew you were a pro! I could see it in your laser sharp eyes.

Ha ha, the 1st flight was so overrated anyway. :-P

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

You want to do it? Practice really hard. Daily. Get on your school's team. That means you'll have to get your grades up. Sorry kid. Listening to you describe your GPA, it doesn't look like you'll get into a 4 yr school so you'll have to go the community college > transfer route. Don't stop playing. Try out for their team. You'll have to maintain a decent GPA while you're playing. If football players can do it, you can, too. Then transfer to a four year college and get a degree probably in business anyway. That's what most athletes do, or sports psychology. Play on their team, and maintain a good GPA. When you graduate, you can try to turn pro if you're good enough. You'll have tournament experience paid for by the college under your belt.... Unless you're a prodigy like Michelle Wie, Lexi Thompson, Lydia Ko, or Tiger Woods , I wouldn't think about turning pro right out of high school. But in the mean time practice hard and study hard. But unless you're in the top echelon of pros you're not going to be living a glamorous life. Just like if you're not among well known recording artists, you will not be living a glamorous life in the music business. It's rough out there. Everyone is just struggling to get by.

So, if you're not Tiger Woods or a woman, forget it. :-)

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

Note: This thread is 3374 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!