IGNORED

Want to try to turn pro

golfrocks
Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

That's how I understood it anyway..

Welcome to the site Paul!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to get started with you all :-)

Yes that's correct, if you look at the guys who consistently make a living an finish high in the world rankings, they are the best putters out of the best ball strikers.  There are some great putters who are not great strikers (think Brad Faxon) who occasionally win because they hit it well for a week, but to be great you have to be solid with approach shots, long, and you have to be able to putt pretty well too.  The guys I know who made it as professionals all fit this description.  I've had the chance to hear prof. Mark Broadie speak on this and I highly recommend his book "Every Shot Counts" to anyone thinking about playing golf for a living. Dave and Erik's book Lowest Score Wins is also a must of course.

Sorry, my putting is pretty sharp but I need a little work on my posting skills :-O

Paul Kaster - 5SK Director of Instruction for Northern New Jersey

Teaching Professional

The Golf Cave

Royce Brook Academy of Golf

www.paulkastergolf.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like my Facebook for updates

Hate to dampen anyone's dreams, because I had the same dreams and was lucky enough to play professionally for a few years. I also currently coach a few players with similar aspirations.  But here is a great piece of information straight from the mouth Dr. Rick Jensen, who is one of the leading sports psychologists in the US: in the entire world, there are 10 players born every year who will play for more than 3 years with fully exempt status on the PGA Tour. 7 of those players will come from the United States.

Had I known that at the time I chose to pursue a playing career, I may still have tried because I believed that much in myself and I had shot some very low scores. But that's the reality, for better or worse. Best of luck and make sure you are the best putter out of all of the great ball strikers you know before you take the leap.

That is an interesting stat that I hadn't heard before.  And one that should be very sobering to anyone with those aspirations.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to get started with you all

Yes that's correct, if you look at the guys who consistently make a living an finish high in the world rankings, they are the best putters out of the best ball strikers.  There are some great putters who are not great strikers (think Brad Faxon) who occasionally win because they hit it well for a week, but to be great you have to be solid with approach shots, long, and you have to be able to putt pretty well too.  The guys I know who made it as professionals all fit this description.  I've had the chance to hear prof. Mark Broadie speak on this and I highly recommend his book "Every Shot Counts" to anyone thinking about playing golf for a living. Dave and Erik's book Lowest Score Wins is also a must of course.

Sorry, my putting is pretty sharp but I need a little work on my posting skills

I don't know about out on the course, but you seem to be hitting it pretty flush in your posting.  Welcome aboard, and I hope this is a sign that we will be reading you and discussing things with you regularly.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 of those players will come from the United States.

'Merica! ;-)

Great to have you on the site Paul.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Hate to dampen anyone's dreams, because I had the same dreams and was lucky enough to play professionally for a few years. I also currently coach a few players with similar aspirations.  But here is a great piece of information straight from the mouth Dr. Rick Jensen, who is one of the leading sports psychologists in the US: in the entire world, there are 10 players born every year who will play for more than 3 years with fully exempt status on the PGA Tour. 7 of those players will come from the United States.

Had I known that at the time I chose to pursue a playing career, I may still have tried because I believed that much in myself and I had shot some very low scores. But that's the reality, for better or worse. Best of luck and make sure you are the best putter out of all of the great ball strikers you know before you take the leap.

Seems the odds are better to win the lottery (given number of opportunities) than become a Tour Pro that lasts 3 years or more.  That is a pretty sobering statistic for those who think that just a little hard work will get them there.  Someone might want to let Dan Plan know.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abu3baid

Welcome to the site Paul!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Happy to get started with you all

Yes, welcome to TST!

:beer:

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hey @PaulKaster , great seeing you on the site!

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

thanks paul!

My pleasure! Good luck, and most importantly make sure you continue to enjoy your golf.  There are so many opportunities available through the game and playing for a living is just one of them.

That is an interesting stat that I hadn't heard before.  And one that should be very sobering to anyone with those aspirations.

I don't know about out on the course, but you seem to be hitting it pretty flush in your posting.  Welcome aboard, and I hope this is a sign that we will be reading you and discussing things with you regularly.

Thanks @turtleback , My game on the course is still pretty tight :) I'm looking forward to being as active as I can and getting to know all of you.

'Merica!

Great to have you on the site Paul.

Thanks Mike! Greatest nation on earth. great to be here.

Seems the odds are better to win the lottery (given number of opportunities) than become a Tour Pro that lasts 3 years or more.  That is a pretty sobering statistic for those who think that just a little hard work will get them there.  Someone might want to let Dan Plan know.

They are rather sobering stats, but that doesn't mean a player shouldn't give it a try if they are talented, committed and have support from the the right people.  You learn a lot from pursuing your dreams all of your energy and resources, and those things can be applied to other goals later in life.

Yes, welcome to TST!

Thanks @Ernest Jones !

Hey @PaulKaster, great seeing you on the site!

Great to be seen @billchao ! Looking forward to mixing it up this year with you all. Hope your game is doing well.

I just got home from a full day of teaching indoors and can't help but think about one of my junior students. He's 10 years old and the best player in his age group in NY/NJ. He's won 16 of 30 events in the last year and finished 2nd eight times.  He recently finished 3rd at a national level event.  I don't write all of this to make myself look good - he has amazing natural gifts and has a good chance to one day make it as a professional.  But, he will need to make consistent progress over the next ten years to have a legitimate shot. Lots of things could get in the way, including growth spurts, girls, etc.  It's my responsibility to keep golf fun for him because the moment the game becomes work, it's a tough uphill battle.  I wish anyone who wants to give it a shot the best of luck, but know the sacrifices you're making for that pursuit.  Thanks again!

Paul Kaster - 5SK Director of Instruction for Northern New Jersey

Teaching Professional

The Golf Cave

Royce Brook Academy of Golf

www.paulkastergolf.com

Follow me on Twitter

Like my Facebook for updates

So, I just went to my first live professional golf tournament this past weekend at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.  After watching the likes of Martin Kaymer, Justin Rose, Ernie Els, Henrik Stenson, Rickie Fowler, and Rory Mcilroy Tee off from less then 10 yards away, all I can say is wow!  I thought I had seen some impressive shots from the guys at the club, but they are nothing like a true professionals swing.  Just the sound at impact is amazing!  For anyone who is truly considering going Pro like this thread states, good on ya 'cause you are a much, much better player then I could ever be!

So, I just went to my first live professional golf tournament this past weekend at the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship.  After watching the likes of Martin Kaymer, Justin Rose, Ernie Els, Henrik Stenson, Rickie Fowler, and Rory Mcilroy Tee off from less then 10 yards away, all I can say is wow!  I thought I had seen some impressive shots from the guys at the club, but they are nothing like a true professionals swing.  Just the sound at impact is amazing!  For anyone who is truly considering going Pro like this thread states, good on ya 'cause you are a much, much better player then I could ever be!

Or maybe they are just delusional? You need to be talented to the nth degree!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Nobody is qualified to tell a high school student to give up on his dreams. Each of us has to find our way. That being said, it is going to be pretty hard financially to play in high level tournaments against first rate competition, and having the time to practice, without doing so in college. So hitting the books and working at it is probably the only realistic option. Unless your parents are rich.

Yeah I realized how much I actually suck when I went to the PGA Championship 2 years ago and witnessed a 265 yard 2 iron by Jason Day off the tee. The sound was unbelievable.

Nobody is qualified to tell a high school student to give up on his dreams. Each of us has to find our way. That being said, it is going to be pretty hard financially to play in high level tournaments against first rate competition, and having the time to practice, without doing so in college. So hitting the books and working at it is probably the only realistic option. Unless your parents are rich.

It is one thing to have a dream.  It is another thing when you are at level 5 and lots of guys the same age are at level 10 already, and you are in a race to get to level 50 and less than .00001% of the level 10s will get to level 40, let alone 50..

I might be wrong but I get the sense that the dream of being a touring pro is part of the lack of motivation to try to do better in school and prepare himself for the 99.99999999999% chance that he will never make a non-gambling dollar playing golf.  It is much easier to dream of success on the pro tour than it is to hunker down and do your algebra homework.  I can't tell you how many 5'4" kids who weighed 100 lbs pounds dripping wet have asked me over the years "Why do  need to learn math, I'm going to be an NFL (or NBA) player when I grow up."

Real dreams mean more than just "I want it".

• Upvote 1

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Nobody has told him explicitly (besides maybe Shorty) to just give up. We've just told him the reality is that he won't play (with 99.99999% certainty) on the pro tours and will need something else to fall back on. That's called giving someone sound financial advice, as opposed to setting him up for a lifetime of disappointment and possibly poverty if we all said, "You can do it! Rah rah rah!" and he did nothing but golf for the next couple of years, not even planning for an alternative.

Nobody has told him explicitly (besides maybe Shorty) to just give up. We've just told him the reality is that he won't play (with 99.99999% certainty) on the pro tours and will need something else to fall back on. That's called giving someone sound financial advice, as opposed to setting him up for a lifetime of disappointment and possibly poverty if we all said, "You can do it! Rah rah rah!" and he did nothing but golf for the next couple of years, not even planning for an alternative.

The truth is that he isn't even willing to get into a discussion or answer any of the points raised by any of us. Aside from saying I'm sticking with my plan without any further acknowledgement of what was said to him. Then again maybe the advice will be well received by someone who is serious about having a discussion instead of how the OP had reacted.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

FWIW, I think his plan to do it without college is complete nonsense. Unless his parents are rich, the world just doesn't work that way. But if golf gets him to hit the books while practicing and honing his game, then there are lots of jobs in golf for people who don't make the tour and trying for the tour isn't the end of the world.

I know I wasted my twenties, yet here I am, I did fine in life.

FWIW, I think his plan to do it without college is complete nonsense. Unless his parents are rich, the world just doesn't work that way. But if golf gets him to hit the books while practicing and honing his game, then there are lots of jobs in golf for people who don't make the tour and trying for the tour isn't the end of the world. I know I wasted my twenties, yet here I am, I did fine in life.

If his parents are rich, I'd give him an additional 100:1 against succeeding. I didn't know anything about golf, but one of my high school classmates was pretty good at golf. Didn't know what it meant, but he shot par at some country club at 10-ish and was invited to play somewhere against pros as a sophomore. He's an expert skier, tennis player, anything he did he was better and smarter than anyone else around. His dad bought him a Lamborghini on 16th birthday, and the rest is history. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!