IGNORED

Want to try to turn pro

golfrocks
Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm tired of all the people on this site saying 'You can't be a pro golfer' and 'You have no chance', etc.  This comes up all the time.  Some young hopeful, probably the next Seve, Tiger or Jack, makes the mistake of coming on here and revealing their hopes and dreams only to have them crushed.  You nay-sayers are putting the future of our sport in jeopardy. Don't listen to them, man.  Get out there and get swinging.  I plan to do the exact same thing.  I've been working towards becoming a touring pro for about 3 years now.  The only thing holding me back is my clubs.  I have almost all of them - I just need an 8 iron and then I'll have them all . .except a Sand Wedge  . .but thinking I can get one from my sponsor.    We should hook up on tour when you're out there.  I'll be the guy with the new 8 iron.

You should have gotten the 8 iron first. They're designed to be the best one. Good for skippies and such.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm tired of all the people on this site saying 'You can't be a pro golfer' and 'You have no chance', etc.  This comes up all the time.  Some young hopeful, probably the next Seve, Tiger or Jack, makes the mistake of coming on here and revealing their hopes and dreams only to have them crushed.  You nay-sayers are putting the future of our sport in jeopardy.

Don't listen to them, man.  Get out there and get swinging.  I plan to do the exact same thing.  I've been working towards becoming a touring pro for about 3 years now.  The only thing holding me back is my clubs.  I have almost all of them - I just need an 8 iron and then I'll have them all . .except a Sand Wedge  . .but thinking I can get one from my sponsor.

We should hook up on tour when you're out there.  I'll be the guy with the new 8 iron.

I'll believe an 18 handicap becomes a tour pro as soon as he gets an 8-iron and a sand wedge when it happens. Until then, stop trying to mislead a kid into a path that could spell financial ruin if not carefully planned and saved for.

I'll believe an 18 handicap becomes a tour pro as soon as he gets an 8-iron and a sand wedge when it happens. Until then, stop trying to mislead a kid into a path that could spell financial ruin if not carefully planned and saved for.

Well, I tried it already without the 8-iron but I had trouble attracting sponsors.  I hear ya on the planning and saving . .I've been saving up to buy my clubs for a couple years now.  The first time I played was at a local tournament with just a 4 iron and single ball.  I lost the ball on the second hole and had to DQ but it's been a pretty amazing rise from that point to where I am today . .having almost all the clubs, a bag, 11 balls (4 of them good ones).  I'm proof - don't give up on your dreams.

Arnold Schwarzenegger's 6 Rules of Success.

1. Trust yourself

2. Break the rules

3. Don't be afraid to fail

4. Don't listen to the naysayers

5. Work your butt off

6. Give something back to your community

Re #6, he sure did a great job of giving back to the people of California when he was Governor. I could think of better people to use as an example than arnold.. :roll:

I think somebody forgot to install the sarcasm font on @AmazingWhacker 's profile.

It was funny, though. However, you guys could all be eating crow when he makes Web.com :-) He's got a pretty powerful swing.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It was funny, though.

However, you guys could all be eating crow when he makes Web.com

He's got a pretty powerful swing.

When I was that age, I was a drumming prodigy. I probably could have become a pro drummer on some tour with a long haired band. However, there were 20,000 other young prodigies out there looking for the same break. It takes more than just skill. To be pro, you have to have a deep desire to do something for the right reasons. It's a long, hard road to travel. This is why I asked, WHY he wants to go on tour. It takes more that a powerful swing. I see lots of kids with powerful swings. I think what most people are saying, is that he simply needs to have a plan B since the chances are so miniscule.

- Shane

When I was that age, I was a drumming prodigy. I probably could have become a pro drummer on some tour with a long haired band. However, there were 20,000 other young prodigies out there looking for the same break. It takes more than just skill. To be pro, you have to have a deep desire to do something for the right reasons. It's a long, hard road to travel. This is why I asked, WHY he wants to go on tour. It takes more that a powerful swing. I see lots of kids with powerful swings. I think what most people are saying, is that he simply needs to have a plan B since the chances are so miniscule.

I think @turtleback nailed it with the why. Kid doesn't realize that a professional golf career is hundreds of times harder than getting a decent education and finding a career through that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I think @turtleback nailed it with the why.

Kid doesn't realize that a professional golf career is hundreds of times harder than getting a decent education and finding a career through that.

Perhaps, but I would still like to hear @golfrocks answer. If the answer starts with "Because it seems like..." then he needs to do more research. We can all speculate as to the reason, but only he knows.

- Shane

Best case he is Tin Cup.

Who was both a fictional character and notwithstanding winning the girl at the end, a loser in golf.  Not exactly a role model for a HS student.

It was funny, though.

However, you guys could all be eating crow when he makes Web.com

He's got a pretty powerful swing.

I'm pretty sure we are all willing to take our chances,.

Two words, Ty Tryon,

Pro at 16, qualifies for the PGA Tour at 17.  Obviously waaaaaaaaaaaay more advanced golf-wise than our OP.  And starting from such an exalted position, vis a vis the OP, he is now aged 30 and has lifetime earnings on the PGA TOUR of under $150,000, which in all likelihood means that he has never made a net nickel on Tour or even managed to make expenses.

He was just as unrealistic, albeit with a VASTLY better golf game, as the OP.  So with a hugely greater probability of success than the OP, he never came close to making it.

And even so, no one is telling the OP not to pursue his dream.  What we are saying is that it is a dream that has such a small probability of success that it is ridiculous to put all your eggs in that basket and blow off your education.  Pursue your dream but understand that you probably are not going to make it and if/when you don't you still have to live the rest of your life.  And prepare for that.  And if you DO make it?  That education will help you avoid being one of those guy who gets fleeced by his "people".

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

And even so, no one is telling the OP not to pursue his dream.  What we are saying is that it is a dream that has such a small probability of success that it is ridiculous to put all your eggs in that basket and blow off your education.

Exactly.

Get to a plus 4 handicap, beat everyone in your area  and then we'll have the conversation.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I'll round to the nearest significant digit: you have a 0.0000% chance.

On the bright side, you wouldn't be the first (or even the second) Tour pro on evolvr.

"So your saying there is a chance"?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfrocks

hey sorry guys i haven't posted anything in a few days…. but I'm going to try turning pro i know its gonna take me a lot of work but i think i can do it! i only started playing golf 2 years ago and I'm already a eight handicap. but i really want to be one and all i need to do is work my butt off!

At least you have the dream, go for it.

Just keep your doors open for a backup plan. . .

yes i will do that thank  you very much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

I think @turtleback nailed it with the why.

Kid doesn't realize that a professional golf career is hundreds of times harder than getting a decent education and finding a career through that.

Perhaps, but I would still like to hear @golfrocks answer. If the answer starts with "Because it seems like..." then he needs to do more research. We can all speculate as to the reason, but only he knows.

He already answered the question. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I agree. Seeing the summary just posted, it looks like @golfrocks is going to practice his butt off, and keep the door open for a back up plan. I would not want to discourage him in this endeavor, and I also would encourage him to seek out a community college should things fall short. This would be a sound plan.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

He already answered the question. . .

The question I'm referring to is WHY he wants to be a touring golfer. No matter. I'm pretty much done with this convo. Best of luck to the OP.

- Shane

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/79126/want-to-try-to-turn-pro/108#post_1097330"]   He already answered the question. . . [/QUOTE] The question I'm referring to is WHY he wants to be a touring golfer. No matter. I'm pretty much done with this convo. Best of luck to the OP.

Why, is definitely the ultimate question for anything!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I have a buddy who left a very reputable four-year university to enter the MLB draft in his second year of school.  He was a great player and was snapped up by the Minnesota Twins organization.  He played a couple of years of A/AA/AAA ball and got injured.  After that, not much.  Had a brief stint with a team in Japan, went into the armed forces, started his own business. But he has struggled financially for a most of his life.  To this day, he has deep, deep, regret for leaving the reputable university before finishing school.

Here is my advice:

PlanA: Go to a community college, play on the golf team, transfer to a full 4-year university, play on the golf team, graduate. Worst case scenario, you have four year of education at a University level, if golf doesn't work out, you can still make a decent living.

PlanB: Go to a community college, play on the golf team, transfer to a full 4-year university, play on the golf team, graduate. Play Pro Golf.

From your original post, it seems like you think golf is an easy way out of going to school... From practical knowledge, it's a lot easier to make it as a college grad with a career than it is to make it as a touring pro.

Another thing you may not understand is that golf is an expensive hobby.  If you go down your current path of touring pro straight out of HS, you run the risk of failing, struggling financially, and not being able to afford to play golf recreationally.

But good luck to you whatever you decide.  Choose wisely.  It's your life...

• Upvote 1

I don't think you necessarily need a college degree to make a decent living, but you do need marketable skills. At least around here, skilled tradesman are at a premium. If the young man is better suited to those kind of pursuits, the right community college or technical school is probably the way to go. The question is how can you fit competitive golf into that picture.

Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!