IGNORED

Want to try to turn pro

golfrocks
Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not at all the same thing.  This kid is trying to make a career decision and has nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Enough of our dreams will be crushed by reality why would you start out by saying, "Give up you don't have a chance!"  Let life happen.  If he swings and misses he made it farther in professional golf that I ever did.

I don't know what you do for a living but if you want an analogous question to pose, it is this.  I am 16 years old and I want to be in the top 1% of widget makers in 5 years or so.  So for all of the widget makers out there in internet land who make widgets for a hobby (not for a living mind you) do you have any advice?  And the answer always seems to be, Give up!  I couldn't possibly be in the top 1% of widget makers so therefore neither can you.

Here's the reality of the situation. He has everything to lose when he appears to want to do this instead of school. If he were to suggest doing it on top of school, that would be one thing. But he's saying he doesn't even want to think about any college (which would be highly beneficial for both his golf and his education) because his grades aren't great right now. The issue is he needs to make sure his priorities are straight by getting good grades first, then getting good at golf.

As a small tweak to your analogy, it would be saying the top .001% of widget makers, not the top 1%. Only about 1,000 guys really make a living off of golfing on any tour around the world (and I'm being pretty generous with that number) and there are at least 100,000,000 people who have golfed out there. Sure, not all of them want to be in that top .001%, but that's still a large talent pool to choose from.

It's not impossible for the OP to get good at golf. I was about a 10-12 handicap when I was a sophomore in high school and I'm now a 2 (and going down) who's heading off to college next fall and I plan on playing golf there as well. It's just that he needs to have a backup plan set in stone before he can really dig in and get good at golf to pursue his dream. I've got a decent scholarship from my grades and test scores that will help me work towards an engineering degree (EE is the plan). I would love to play on tour but I know the odds are against it, so I have a realistic plan for my life with turning pro just being something that could be fun if something comes up and I start playing really well. That's not to say I don't work my @$$ off at the golf course. I went to the course every day over the summer to practice, I played 72 holes a couple times in a day, I left my house at 5 to drive about 7 miles in my golf cart (in 30* weather) to get to the golf course at dawn because I didn't have a driver's license yet but I had to work for free golf, and I probably spent more of my waking hours at the course than at home during summer break. That doesn't mean I will become a pro, and it doesn't mean I will even really compete in college golf. It just means I got to have a lot of fun golfing since I had already done most of the work with my academics to ensure I have a good future regardless of what happens with golf.

Go ahead and try to become a professional golfer on tour (if I were to be completely honest, I have the same dream), but remember this:

School comes first, golf comes second.

• Upvote 3

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A lot of people don't know this about me but I had a pretty impressive junior golf career. I nearly turned pro or at least thought about working on the game a bit more after winning this bad boy.

I'm dying laughing now.. People are posting their participation trophies... These turning pro threads are comical...

Seriously don't listen to all the haters that are telling you that you cannot achieve your goal.  Anything is possible, it is going to be incredibly difficult, but if you're willing to out work everybody you can make it.  You're still young so you can focus hard on golf for 4-5 years and if you happen to fall short there are tons of awesome golf opportunities out there for you besides playing.

Here's the reality of the situation. He has everything to lose when he appears to want to do this instead of school. If he were to suggest doing it on top of school, that would be one thing. But he's saying he doesn't even want to think about any college (which would be highly beneficial for both his golf and his education) because his grades aren't great right now. The issue is he needs to make sure his priorities are straight by getting good grades first, then getting good at golf.

As a small tweak to your analogy, it would be saying the top .001% of widget makers, not the top 1%. Only about 1,000 guys really make a living off of golfing on any tour around the world (and I'm being pretty generous with that number) and there are at least 100,000,000 people who have golfed out there. Sure, not all of them want to be in that top .001%, but that's still a large talent pool to choose from.

It's not impossible for the OP to get good at golf. I was about a 10-12 handicap when I was a sophomore in high school and I'm now a 2 (and going down) who's heading off to college next fall and I plan on playing golf there as well. It's just that he needs to have a backup plan set in stone before he can really dig in and get good at golf to pursue his dream. I've got a decent scholarship from my grades and test scores that will help me work towards an engineering degree (EE is the plan). I would love to play on tour but I know the odds are against it, so I have a realistic plan for my life with turning pro just being something that could be fun if something comes up and I start playing really well. That's not to say I don't work my @$$ off at the golf course. I went to the course every day over the summer to practice, I played 72 holes a couple times in a day, I left my house at 5 to drive about 7 miles in my golf cart (in 30* weather) to get to the golf course at dawn because I didn't have a driver's license yet but I had to work for free golf, and I probably spent more of my waking hours at the course than at home during summer break. That doesn't mean I will become a pro, and it doesn't mean I will even really compete in college golf. It just means I got to have a lot of fun golfing since I had already done most of the work with my academics to ensure I have a good future regardless of what happens with golf.

Go ahead and try to become a professional golfer on tour (if I were to be completely honest, I have the same dream), but remember this:

School comes first, golf comes second.

I am addicted to this thread!!!  Help!!!!

Anyway, I would like to differentiate between "college/university" and school.  Finish high school and get a diploma.  Of course, Absolutely, 100%  agree.  Looks like you got a great plan.  You seem to be that kind of guy. All good.  Not everyone is wired like that.

Higher education.  Then it becomes a little more subjective.  I went right out of high school and that was the dumbest thing I could have done.  Flunked out, drank and smoked too much weed and was a general F*** up!  I did not start college for real until l I got those wild oats sowed at the age of 26.  I wish I would have taken a little time off chased a few dreams then got serious.

Seriously this time I am done.

Listen. The fact is... ANYONE who really has the potential would not be soliciting feedback on a web site, like this... if they didn't have it, and are clueless then sure... But all the people I know on several different tours KNEW... By their game and the company around them along with their resources.. at very young ages... They were beating the best every where they went.... and they are on mini tours... Not even PGA Tour...these are people who hold course records everywhere...shooting low 60's....all of them were club kids who literally played every day from a very young age. You have to kick anyone's ass, every single track you play on to even think about it... Not shoot 80's. The guys I know we're incredible before they were even teens... They were practically scratch..and taking on club champions day after day.. And beating them. They just had it. Anything is possible... But also anyone with a 30 hcp can post questions on the Internet about turning into a touring pro.. It's no different than posting "my grades are not very good.. But can I get into Princeton, and become a governor one day?" Sure... But....

I'm dying laughing now.. People are posting their participation trophies...

These turning pro threads are comical...

Hahahahaha, you might want to read that again...

Listen.

The fact is... ANYONE who really has the potential would not be soliciting feedback on a web site, like this... if they didn't have it, and are clueless then sure... But all the people I know on several different tours KNEW... By their game and the company around them along with their resources.. at very young ages... They were beating the best every where they went.... and they are on mini tours... Not even PGA Tour...these are people who hold course records everywhere...shooting low 60's....all of them were club kids who literally played every day from a very young age. You have to kick anyone's ass, every single track you play on to even think about it... Not shoot 80's. The guys I know we're incredible before they were even teens... They were practically scratch..and taking on club champions day after day.. And beating them. They just had it.

Anything is possible... But also anyone with a 30 hcp can post questions on the Internet about turning into a touring pro..

It's no different than posting "my grades are not very good.. But can I get into Princeton, and become a governor one day?" Sure... But....

Horse...dead.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Quote:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

@ev780 , I am thinking about selling all I own and buying lottery tickets.  Do you think this is a good idea?  If you cared about me, would you advise me otherwise?

Not at all the same thing.  This kid is trying to make a career decision and has nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Enough of our dreams will be crushed by reality why would you start out by saying, "Give up you don't have a chance!"  Let life happen.  If he swings and misses he made it farther in professional golf that I ever did.

I don't know what you do for a living but if you want an analogous question to pose, it is this.  I am 16 years old and I want to be in the top 1% of widget makers in 5 years or so.  So for all of the widget makers out there in internet land who make widgets for a hobby (not for a living mind you) do you have any advice?  And the answer always seems to be, Give up!  I couldn't possibly be in the top 1% of widget makers so therefore neither can you.

Every elite goal will have a lot of naysayers.

Everyone states that education is the most important thing for him, and I agree that he needs to maintain an education. The OP also agreed that he would continue that path so he does not shut any doors.

So, let's take that education topic to an elite level as well. I could equate getting into Cal Tech undergrad the science equivalent to becoming a pro player. The odds are pretty slim and you have to be one of the best (as in the top 200 kids in the world in any given year). But. . .people do go there, and when they graduate end up being in the top of most of their fields. These kids did things in their early teens that gave them the confidence to succeed in something and drive them to their goals. My brother drove himself to become an eagle scout at a time when there weren't that many.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

cipher,

I think it's wonderful you posting your participation trophies. It's fun to dream...

Still don't get it do ya?

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

cipher, I think it's wonderful you posting your participation trophies. It's fun to dream...

:doh:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

cipher,

I think it's wonderful you posting your participation trophies. It's fun to dream...

It was a joke.  Get it?  Take your time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Imagine if a bunch of the sperm cells got together and convinced you, when you were one, that it was impossible to beat the 100s of millions to one odds, and so stop swimming?

Imagine if a bunch of the sperm cells got together and convinced you, when you were one, that it was impossible to beat the 100s of millions to one odds, and so stop swimming?

Imagine a comparable analogy instead: There are more than 100,000,000 balls in a bag. Only 1000 of those balls lead you financial success if you pick them. Do you really want to blow off college and your potential career by counting on getting one of those 1000 balls?

"Insert confused emoji here"

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Imagine a comparable analogy instead:

There are more than 100,000,000 balls in a bag. Only 1000 of those balls lead you financial success if you pick them. Do you really want to blow off college and your potential career by counting on getting one of those 1000 balls?

I never said he should blow off college. I guess I just don't believe that every pro golfer is discovered before he gets to high school. Maybe the fact that I wasted my twenties and still managed to retire in my fifties has something to do with my take on this.

I never said he should blow off college. I guess I just don't believe that every pro golfer is discovered before he gets to high school. Maybe the fact that I wasted my twenties and still managed to retire in my fifties has something to do with my take on this.

I'm assuming you didn't retire after playing professional sports for a living? Just not even close to the same thing. You probably did what you did with hard work and a little luck.. Pro golfers dont make it with just hard work if you don't have the talent..

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I am addicted to this thread!!!  Help!!!!

Anyway, I would like to differentiate between "college/university" and school.  Finish high school and get a diploma.  Of course, Absolutely, 100%  agree.  Looks like you got a great plan.  You seem to be that kind of guy. All good.  Not everyone is wired like that.

Higher education.  Then it becomes a little more subjective.  I went right out of high school and that was the dumbest thing I could have done.  Flunked out, drank and smoked too much weed and was a general F*** up!  I did not start college for real until l I got those wild oats sowed at the age of 26.  I wish I would have taken a little time off chased a few dreams then got serious.

Seriously this time I am done.

Every elite goal will have a lot of naysayers.

Everyone states that education is the most important thing for him, and I agree that he needs to maintain an education. The OP also agreed that he would continue that path so he does not shut any doors.

So, let's take that education topic to an elite level as well. I could equate getting into Cal Tech undergrad the science equivalent to becoming a pro player. The odds are pretty slim and you have to be one of the best (as in the top 200 kids in the world in any given year). But. . .people do go there, and when they graduate end up being in the top of most of their fields. These kids did things in their early teens that gave them the confidence to succeed in something and drive them to their goals. My brother drove himself to become an eagle scout at a time when there weren't that many.

We are talking about what HE said, not about you.  What HE said was that he was blowing off any idea of even trying to qualify for college.

What some of you seem to be missing or ignoring is by that blowing off college he is also blowing off the path by which 90%+ (maybe a lot closer to 100%) of the people who accomplished the very thing he is dreaming of followed.  I personally would be hard pressed to name a reasonable successful American touring pro (say 3 years of keeping his card) who did not hone his game with at least some time in college.  It is more common in Europe (prominent examples being Garcia, Rose, and McIlroy) but it has become increasingly common for even top European aspirants to come to the US to hone their game in college.

A pro golfer wannabe who blows off college is like a HS baseball pitcher who says "I want to be a major leaguer but refuse to do anything to make a minor league team."  College golf is the amateur minor leagues that helps aspiring pros get to the professional minor leagues (the lesser tours) or major leagues (PGA and Euro tours).

Even if we ignore every consideration of education, its benefits on his future life, etc. and look at it from a purely golf developmental perspective it is still crazy.

He is saying, "OK, I have a dream that I have a very poor chance of reaching because it is so difficult, so let me cut my chances even further by ignoring the path that 99% of the successful ones took."

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3370 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!