Sign in to follow this  
dave s

How do I determine what 'grind' my Vokey wedge is?

Note: This thread is 2151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 posts / 6253 viewsLast Reply

I have 54 and 58 degree Vokey wedges.  I really like the grind on the 58, not so much on the 54.

The 58 is kind of ground down on both sides behind and under the leading edge.  I like this.  The 54 just has 11* of bounce and is uniform under the leading edge.  This wedge is a little more subject to digging than the 58. I live in the north where bent grass is the norm and conditions can be wetter than drier.

How do I tell what grind the 58 is, which I prefer, so I can replace my 54 with a Vokey of the same grind?

Thanks for responding if you know.

dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Are they the SM5 wedges?

Can you share some pics?

Both are the last year that Vokey made the 'square groove' model.  I'll snap and upload a pic later.  They both have the 'spin-milled' logo with red paint fill, but not a 4 or 5 designate anywhere on the clubs.

Let me see about snapping a useable image of both wedges.  Thanks for the assist.

dave

Pics added.  Back of wedges to show model, loft and bounce.  I'm sure the 58-08 was the last of the square groove models.  Not sure about the 54 as it was purchased on year later.

At right, you can clearly see the grind of the 58-08.  I like that grind and it is considerably different from the 54-11.

Last comments.  I play up north, (NE Ohio) where we see mostly bent fairways and greens.  It's usually WET and mucky so the relief provided on the 58-08 seems to work better than the grind on the 54 which tends to 'dig' on shots not perfectly struck.

thanks for your comments and assessment based on the images.

dave

Looks like the 58 is a L grind

https://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

Similar looking grind for the 54 is the M. It's also mid-bounce and that will work well in the conditions you described.

Looks like the 58 is a L grind

https://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

Similar looking grind for the 54 is the M. It's also mid-bounce and that will work well in the conditions you described.

@dave s

You have the original Spin Milled wedges.  The 58-08 is is close to the M-grind.  I don't recall Vokey naming all the grinds with such variety until they got to the SM4 series.

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/vokey-spin-milled.aspx

For more info on their grinds see below:

http://www.vokey.com/wedge-selection/wedge-selection-guide.aspx

mvmac / boogielicious:

thanks for the resource links.  I'll choose a new 54 in the grind closest to that of my 58, which I like a lot!

dave

Good news.  Found an SM4 model @ 54-11 with "M" grind which is exactly what I wanted.  Special bonus is that it's the Black Nickel finish and will match my 58* wedge.  Not that matching is that important, but the Black Nickel finish cuts down on the reflectiveness of the tour chrome finish.  Don't like the 'oil can' gold or the true black finish available on the SM5 models.

Added bonus:  $99 shipped to my home!  Will be here this week.

dave

Note: This thread is 2151 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!