IGNORED

What golf ball should i be playing with a 80MPH Swing Speed?

Note: This thread is 2762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently got my swing monitored and it turns out my swing speed is 80MPH. So with that information i ask what balls would be good for me with that swing speed. Also if you know the golf ball compression that would be good for my swing speed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend the round white ones with dimples

Seriously I don't know, my swing speed isn't a whole lot higher, 90 mph & I have been using the Precept Laddie X as well as the Bridgestone E-6 & the Topflite D2's, both feel & straight. Have really taken a liking to both the Precepts & the Bridgestones, only negative towards the Bridgestones for me is price, they cost about $25 a dozen whereas I am getting the precepts for $20 for 2 dozen.

80mph with a driver or iron? If that's with a driver then something with very low compression. Try the Srixon AD-333 or Soft Feel

that is driver speed. do you know the compression of ball i should be using?

Is 80 an option anymore? I think Dt so/lo's and callaway big bertha's are both around and 80 compression. I know they are softer balls. Im sure someone here will know the exact compression.

In the bag:

Burner 10.5
Rescue mid 16, 19, 22, 25
X-16 irons Forged+ Vintage 48, 54, 60 Circa 62 #3 A009125

• Administrator
Is 80 an option anymore? I think Dt so/lo's and callaway big bertha's are both around and 80 compression. I know they are softer balls. Im sure someone here will know the exact compression.

The Wilson 50 is a 50 compression ball and could work. It's softer, I believe, than the DT.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Wilson 50 is a 50 compression ball and could work. It's softer, I believe, than the DT.

that is an excellent ball for slow swing speeds and they are only $17 at wal mart. give them a try, i used them earlier this year and was impressed.

In my wasabe green ozone bag:

Hibore 9.5° w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft Driver

G10 15° 1H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft G10 18° 2H w/ UST V2 Stiff Shaft T-Zoid Pro 3-PW S300 CG10 52° 2 Dot Black Pearl CG10 56° 2 Dot Black Pearl Newport 2 TerylliumLow Score = 88

I don't know if this is a good ball but maybe the MAXFLI Noodle, Long and Soft. I use MAXFLI Noodle, The Longest Noodle. I like the MAXFLI Noodle balls alot though.

Driver: G2
3 Wood: Launcher
Irons: FoundersWedges: Putter: Tru TechBall: The Longest NoodleBag: Grom If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up. ~Tommy...

Another vote for the Titleist DT SoLo and the Bridgestone e6. Although I have a faster swing speed than most using those balls, they are still my favorites. The reduced spin helps off the tee and they both have enough feel around the greens to stop fairly quickly. I'm currently playing the Bridgestone e6.

Those two are the best I've found (at least for me) in the $20-$25 range.
WITB:

Driver: HiBore XL 10.5° Fit-On M Gold Fujikura Stiff
Fairway Woods: Big Bertha 3W Fujikura Stiff
FW-Hybrid: Insight XTD 5w 18° Aldila DVS StiffHybrid: Idea Pro 3i 20° Aldila VS Proto Blue By You StiffIrons: Big Bertha 4-PWWedges: CG10 50.08 GW, CG10 56.16 SWPutter: White...

80mph with a driver or iron? If that's with a driver then something with very low compression. Try the Srixon AD-333 or Soft Feel

Both excellent choices....right now the lowest compression ball on the market is the Strada tour straight at 37 comp...they quit making them a year ago but still cn be found.

Bag #1
DRIVER: TourSwing TVC 10.5*w/VooDoo
FW: Geek 15* w/Graman Limey
FW: TourSwing Thunder 19* w/Graman Limey
HYBRIDS: #4 #5 Alpha RX Low w/Graman LimeyIRONS: Nakashima NP-2 w/Accra i SeriesWEDGES: Same as abovePUTTER: Slighter Olympia #1

I tried out the Top Flite D2 Straight today, and I think I've found my new ball. Shot my new lowest round (101) with it. I think I'm going to try the D2 Feel next, and then decide between the 2. I got my box at Target for $15 for 15 balls.

In my Grom CC bag
Driver: R580XD 10.5°
Woods: FX 3 and 5
Irons: Burner Oversize 5-9
Wedges: Burner Oversize PW & SW, Pinemeadow Tour Leader 60 °Putter: Pinemeadow BladeBall: D2 Straight

The Srixon AD-333 is recommended for swing speeds of 80+ and the Srixon Soft Feel is recommended for swing speeds of 70+

How about swing speed of 90+? My driver swing speed is 94. I used to grab any cheap balls I could get, but now I realize golf balls do play significant role in the game. I've been getting Titleist NXT and NXT Tour (not the new ones). Are they the right balls for me?

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Okay, ive just read that you should pick a golf ball compression number that is 10 points lower than your MPH swing speed. So it would the Wilson 50 be way off? Should i be playing something with 70 compression?

Your ball should be at most a 90 compression. i believe the Pro-v-1 is a 90 compression, but am not certain. Good balls for you, if you enjoy control around the greens more than distance, are:

1. The Hogan Hawk 2. A soft Srixon ball 3. Precept Laddie Each of these are very different balls, so it will be your preference which you like best. I would try them in the above order. The Hawk is a very good ball for the money.
The Srixon AD-333 is recommended for swing speeds of 80+ and the Srixon Soft Feel is recommended for swing speeds of 70+

I agree. I was not sure what the titles to Srixon balls were, but these sound like good choices.

How about swing speed of 90+? My driver swing speed is 94. I used to grab any cheap balls I could get, but now I realize golf balls do play significant role in the game. I've been getting Titleist NXT and NXT Tour (not the new ones). Are they the right balls for me?

They are ok balls. I find I dont get enough control with a wedge. Very difficult to "one hop and stop" with an NXT. Pro-v-1 is good, but expensive. I would suggest the same as I did previously:

1. Hogan Hawk (if they still make it) 2. Srixon 3. Taylormade TP Red (I think Red is the softer one)
MyGolfster

Thanks again for all the replies. I have heard that since my swing speed is 80 MPH, i should choose a golf ball with a 70 Compression. Is this true?

Wouldn't i not get the most distance i am capable of using a 50 compression ball(Wilson Fifty?)

I believe the Precept Dist IQ180 is a 50 compression ball too.
With a lower compression ball, you should be able to get good distance with an easier swing. Also these would be softer and hence an easier ball to live with in winter if you mistime the ball.

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Note: This thread is 2762 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!