IGNORED

What golf ball should i be playing with a 80MPH Swing Speed?

Note: This thread is 2788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

my wing speed is approx 80mph. I use wilson staff duo, titleist nxt, srixon soft feel, pro v1 and 1x and I hit all these balls approx the same distance the only difference I find is around the pocket book. Lots of difference in compression but not much in distance.

On 10/12/2013 at 8:02 AM, Mondamo said:

I recently saw a ball with 3 stripe alignment aids and the logo is a bit much and bright..I think there's an x in the logo..does anyone know what ball this is?

H mmm,  sounds like a Range Company Ball :-P

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been using the Snell Get Sum and really, really like them.

Ping G30 SF TEC
Ping G25 3w
Ping G Red Dot +1/4" irons - 6,7,8,9,W,U,SW, LW
Ping G30 3H
Ping G25 4H
Ping Scottdale TR B60
Callaway Supersoft

11 hours ago, rick1198 said:

my wing speed is approx 80mph. I use wilson staff duo, titleist nxt, srixon soft feel, pro v1 and 1x and I hit all these balls approx the same distance the only difference I find is around the pocket book. Lots of difference in compression but not much in distance.

Interesting that you say that.  I recently tried a dozen Snell MTB balls.  Dean Snell, owner of this company, has previously worked with Titleist and Taylor Made, designing and developing their balls before starting his own company.

https://www.snellgolf.com/dean-snell-golf-ball-fitting-philosophy/

In that article, he specifically says all the balls go about the same distance.  He suggests you should select your ball based on its performance on the green, shorter shots, and longer shots, in that order.  Obviously price has to be considered for most of us.  Lots of folks like the Snell Get Sum, which is Snell's lower-price ball.  I found the MTB to perform very similarly to the ProV1, but they're substantially less expensive.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

4 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

He suggests you should select your ball based on its performance on the green, shorter shots, and longer shots, in that order.  

I think this ^^^ is 100% true. From tee to green you can miss a little short and still recover.  But you cannot recover from a missed putt. 

On 8/29/2012 at 5:22 PM, Lgeorgi said:

My swing speed is about the same and I use the Wilson Staff Duo. Its 40 compression and it is LONG. I think you should try it.

I just looked at these the other day, on the box it said 23 compression on the duo's. That just seems way too soft

On 8/30/2016 at 2:59 PM, DaveP043 said:

In that article, he specifically says all the balls go about the same distance.  He suggests you should select your ball based on its performance on the green, shorter shots, and longer shots, in that order.  

On 8/30/2016 at 3:06 PM, Kalnoky said:

I think this ^^^ is 100% true. From tee to green you can miss a little short and still recover.  But you cannot recover from a missed putt. 

What about balls that actually do go further?  Like some of the cheaper 2 piece distance balls.  They go farther, but also have some roll out.

How do you reconcile the philosophy I've found around here of lower scores correlating to distance from the pin with this suggestion of choosing balls based on how you hit them on and around the green instead of how far you hit them off the tee?

27 minutes ago, bweiss711 said:

How do you reconcile the philosophy I've found around here of lower scores correlating to distance from the pin with this suggestion of choosing balls based on how you hit them on and around the green instead of how far you hit them off the tee?

I can tell you what my very recent experience is, since I have been testing some balls, and, I suspect we're about the same skill level.

Guys like us miss greens the greens quite often. This means we have to scramble for par or bogey most of the time. Last week I was trying out a Volvik ball for fun, and man, was that ever straight and long with the driver and hybrids.. Really fun to watch it go. However, on pitch shots or even short irons into the green, it would release and wind up in the collar (or worse) giving me very tough putts = added strokes. 

Yesterday I tried a ProV1x for the first time. And I did not hit it as straight or as long. I was probably half a club or more short, although that could've been the wind.. Anyway, that ball stopped right near the pin on chip shots. So I was 1-putting a lot, and that helps my score. 

Hey, if we were good at this game already, it'd all be a moot point. We'd just land on the green every time. I'm not there yet.

I don't think you can have it both ways with golf balls, even thought that's what they try to sell us. If you struggle with the occassional outside-in a premium ball is going to wind up OOB. The best ball for me so far that I've found is Titleist NXT Tour. It has less driver spin than the high end urethane balls but it has more greenside spin than the el cheapo balls. And  it does not feel like hitting a marshmallow. 

Anyway, hope this helps some.

Edited by Kalnoky

On August 29, 2012 at 5:22 PM, Lgeorgi said:

My swing speed is about the same and I use the Wilson Staff Duo. Its 40 compression and it is LONG. I think you should try it.

I am 67, my swing speed is probably in the 80 mph range. After reading this thread, I happened to find a Wilson Duo on the course and used it off the next tee.  I could actually 'feel' if compress off my driver, and it went long and straight.  When I got back to the clubhouse, I checked them out and the box said it was a 29 compression ball.  Here is a link to their website: http://www.wilson.com/en-us/golf/balls/wilson-staff/wilson-staff-duo-golf-ball-white-12-pack

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

In my experience a ball like the duo(I call them marshmallows) will pick up carry distance and height with the driver. Especially on mishits. 

Lower compressions really stand out in short irons to wedges. I easily hit a duo 15+ yards longer than a pro-v1 with a 9-iron, however it seems that marshmallow balls sometimes fly too far at random times causing inconsistency. A 40 yard sand wedge will turn into 60 yards at times. Also, if you give them any kind of a whack with the putter they will over-compress and jump off the face FAST flying by the cup.

It's fun hitting 150 yard P-wedges but don't expect to score consistently with ultra-low compression balls (29-40). I use them in the winter time to save my hands. 

Taylormade M4 10.5* (turned down to 8.5*)
Ping G410 LST 3 Wood
Ping G410 5 wood
Titleist F2 7 woods
Ping G graphite irons 5 - PW  Black Dot
Ping Gorged Glide Wedges - 50, 54, 58
Directed Force Reno 2.0 Putter
What an amazing game this is.

Age 67 with swing speed in the 80-85 mph range.  Been playing with Wilson Zip....not a bad ball, plays as long as any others I hit and probably plays a little better than the majority of "cheap" golf balls on short shots...I get them at Walmart for $19,99 for 2-12 packs...I am going to shoot 90 to 100 no matter what ball I use...that is one thing I have learned, especially over the last 3 years.

Note: This thread is 2788 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!