IGNORED

Arccos Game Tracking Device, Looking for Input

Note: This thread is 947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On my home course that I have played hundreds of rounds I agree I won't use that either.  On a new course or one I haven't played in a long time I think I will use it a lot.

Yeah I would probably use it on a new course as well to check where the hazards are and make sure nothing is hidden from sight.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I bought the GG and like it, but this seems superior.  I don't think tapping is nearly as big a deal as the reviewer @RandallT linked to made it seem.  After about 1 round I was used to it.  But that being said, if given a choice I'd rather not have to do it.  I'd prefer the more advanced stat tracking to social aspect that GG shoots for.  Others have said that GG could easily implement that but I think their focus is more on the social stuff.

The biggest advantage to me is that the stats are immediate and don't need to be to plug GG into my computer.  That seems very outdated to me.  And even though it only takes 15 minutes to plug in, upload, review the round, and check out stats, I'm at a point in life were 15 minutes to myself are hard to come by.  And that's even more true when I get home from 4-5 hours of golf.  If its all on my phone pretty much automatically, I can check it out when I'm on the toilet (don't judge me, i've got twin toddlers at home and the bathroom door has a lock!).

BUT $400 is too much.  If I didn't have GG today, I'd probably just not buy either and hope for a price drop for Arccos.  I'm happy with GG though.

That's not even counting the fact that I'd have to buy an over priced and outdated phone to work with it :-P

GG does not does not offer real time information like distances to the green, score tracking,GPS images of actual location on the course and a list of distances that you actually hit you different clubs. To me real time information like this is new and cutting edge. I am not sure how GG would be able to upgrade existing units to do these things.

Also it does all this without you having to do anything but just play your game and it records it automatically.

I suppose those are all helpful, but if you use GG and have a GPS app on you phone already, you've basically got this.  Since GG doesn't use an app, its not even like you'd be flipping between two apps.  So functionally, tapping is still the only difference.  Plus, this probably makes it illegal for tournaments.  I think GG is legal.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

The Arccos has a GPS device in every club, right?  Seems like (if they haven't already) they could incorporate a Lojack type "Find my wedge" feature into the device for the guys who frequently forget clubs beside the green.  It may not be a huge selling point, but it could be at least a little selling point.

"Dammit, I left my lob wedge somewhere"

"Do you remember which hole?"

"No, but my phone is pinging that it's on the 3rd green.  I'll be right back."

:beer:

The Arccos has a GPS device in every club, right?  Seems like (if they haven't already) they could incorporate a Lojack type "Find my wedge" feature into the device for the guys who frequently forget clubs beside the green.  It may not be a huge selling point, but it could be at least a little selling point. "Dammit, I left my lob wedge somewhere" "Do you remember which hole?" "No, but my phone is pinging that it's on the 3rd green.  I'll be right back." :beer:

Does it? I thought it piggybacks off of the iPhone's GPS functionality. I don't actually know; now I'm curious.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Does it? I thought it piggybacks off of the iPhone's GPS functionality. I don't actually know; now I'm curious.

As you can see in my profile <<<<<<<<<< over there, I'm not a smart man when it comes to tech. ;)  But it obviously has some sort of tech in the clubs that knows where they are and what they're doing when you're swinging them (since you don't need to tag anything) so that leads me to believe that perhaps something like I mentioned is at least possible.

Nah, it uses bluetooth to communicate with your phone and uses the phone's gps.

I have a fitbit which communicates with my phone via bluetooth.  If you lose it, they suggest walking around your house trying to establish a connection, and if you get one, then you know you're close.  I don't think that would work on a golf course.

Do you have to charge the Arcoss tags?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Nah, it uses bluetooth to communicate with your phone and uses the phone's gps.   I have a fitbit which communicates with my phone via bluetooth.  If you lose it, they suggest walking around your house trying to establish a connection, and if you get one, then you know you're close.  I don't think that would work on a golf course.   [rule] Do you have to charge the Arcoss tags?

That's what I figured. They have little batteries inside of them that need to be replaced roughly every 50 rounds, based on what I've read elsewhere on here. So I'm not sure if that's a negligible expense.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Nah, it uses bluetooth to communicate with your phone and uses the phone's gps.

I have a fitbit which communicates with my phone via bluetooth.  If you lose it, they suggest walking around your house trying to establish a connection, and if you get one, then you know you're close.  I don't think that would work on a golf course.

Do you have to charge the Arcoss tags?

Actually each tag has a NICAD? watch battery which last about one year. Each battery coat about $1.

I bought the GG and like it, but this seems superior.  I don't think tapping is nearly as big a deal as the reviewer @RandallT linked to made it seem.  After about 1 round I was used to it.  But that being said, if given a choice I'd rather not have to do it.  I'd prefer the more advanced stat tracking to social aspect that GG shoots for.  Others have said that GG could easily implement that but I think their focus is more on the social stuff.

The biggest advantage to me is that the stats are immediate and don't need to be to plug GG into my computer.  That seems very outdated to me.  And even though it only takes 15 minutes to plug in, upload, review the round, and check out stats, I'm at a point in life were 15 minutes to myself are hard to come by.  And that's even more true when I get home from 4-5 hours of golf.  If its all on my phone pretty much automatically, I can check it out when I'm on the toilet (don't judge me, i've got twin toddlers at home and the bathroom door has a lock!).

BUT $400 is too much.  If I didn't have GG today, I'd probably just not buy either and hope for a price drop for Arccos.  I'm happy with GG though.

That's not even counting the fact that I'd have to buy an over priced and outdated phone to work with it

I suppose those are all helpful, but if you use GG and have a GPS app on you phone already, you've basically got this.  Since GG doesn't use an app, its not even like you'd be flipping between two apps.  So functionally, tapping is still the only difference.  Plus, this probably makes it illegal for tournaments.  I think GG is legal.

Not quite the same ARCCOS has an image of the holes as you play them and also actually tracks the distance you hit each club so you can reflect on the list when in doubt of what club to pull. Kind of cool IMO. In terms of legal ARCCOS is working on that. GIven what I read as qualifiers I don't see what would make this device illegal. Also I think it is nice to be able to reflect on your round immediately after your done on your IPHONE. EIther having a beer at the bar or in your case grabbing some piece of mind in the bath room.

The Arccos has a GPS device in every club, right?  Seems like (if they haven't already) they could incorporate a Lojack type "Find my wedge" feature into the device for the guys who frequently forget clubs beside the green.  It may not be a huge selling point, but it could be at least a little selling point.

"Dammit, I left my lob wedge somewhere"

"Do you remember which hole?"

"No, but my phone is pinging that it's on the 3rd green.  I'll be right back."

They do have a bluetooth transmitter in each club as I understand it. Not quite the same. You can see where you hit the different clubs on GPS map as you play your round. So you know where you last hit your your 7iron for instance. Having spoken to the ARCCOS folks they seem to be willing to make modifications.

In terms of legal ARCCOS is working on that. Given what I read as qualifiers I don't see what would make this device illegal.

The answer to your question, if I'm not mistaken, is in the previous sentence:

Not quite the same ARCCOS has an image of the holes as you play them and also actually tracks the distance you hit each club so you can reflect on the list when in doubt of what club to pull. Kind of cool IMO.

Appendix IV of the Rules and Decisions regarding distance measuring devices:

5. Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14-3 )

During a stipulated round , the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect (see Note to Rule 14-3 and Appendix I; Part B; Section 9).

Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include , but are not limited to:

• the gauging or measuring of slope;
  • the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g., wind speed or direction, or other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);
  • recommendations that might assist the player in making a Stroke or in his play (e.g., club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or
  • calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting shot distance.

Such non-conforming features render use of the device contrary to the Rules , irrespective of whether or not:

• the features can be switched off or disengaged; and
  • the features are switched off or disengaged.

A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules , whether or not they are actually used.

I believe the sections in red cover the feature of the system to which you are referring.

@club ho [CONTENTEMBED=/t/69379/new-to-the-sand-trap-little-things-members-expect-and-ask-of-fellow-members layout=block][/CONTENTEMBED] You seem to like your widget or thingamajig.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

The answer to your question, if I'm not mistaken, is in the previous sentence:

Appendix IV of the Rules and Decisions  regarding distance measuring devices:

5. Distance-Measuring Devices (Rule 14-3)

During a stipulated round, the use of any distance measuring device is not permitted unless the Committee has introduced a Local Rule to that effect (see Note to Rule 14-3 and Appendix I; Part B; Section 9).

Even when the Local Rule is in effect, the device must be limited to measuring distance only. Features that would render use of the device contrary to the Local Rule include, but are not limited to:

the gauging or measuring of slope;

the gauging or measuring of other conditions that might affect play (e.g., wind speed or direction, or other climate-based information such as temperature, humidity, etc.);

recommendations that might assist the player in making a Stroke or in his play (e.g., club selection, type of shot to be played, green reading or any other advice related matter); or

calculating the effective distance between two points based on slope or other conditions affecting shot distance.

Such non-conforming features render use of the device contrary to the Rules, irrespective of whether or not:

the features can be switched off or disengaged; and

the features are switched off or disengaged.

A multi-functional device, such as a smartphone or PDA, may be used as a distance measuring device provided it contains a distance measuring application that meets all of the above limitations (i.e., it must measure distance only). In addition, when the distance measuring application is being used, there must be no other features or applications installed on the device that, if used, would be in breach of the Rules, whether or not they are actually used.

I believe the sections in red cover the feature of the system to which you are referring.

I would say if there is no virtual caddie in the device suggesting a club choice and at this point there is not with ARCCOS then ARCCOS  should be a legal device.

"BUT $400 is too much.  If I didn't have GG today, I'd probably just not buy either and hope for a price drop for Arccos.  I'm happy with GG though."

I bought my ARCCOS for $342 from AMAZON. Free 2 day shipping. $3.99 for next day shipping

"BUT $400 is too much.  If I didn't have GG today, I'd probably just not buy either and hope for a price drop for Arccos.  I'm happy with GG though."

I bought my ARCCOS for $342 from AMAZON. Free 2 day shipping. $3.99 for next day shipping

Amazon tends to vary its prices depending on all sorts of variables. I'm getting $370. Maybe if I were on a PC and not a Mac, it might be cheaper.

Let's apply your argument to Game Golf. If one is patient, one might wait till there's a sale on GG. I've seen GG priced at $140 at Rock Bottom Golf, I think I may have even seen $99, but let's say $140.

$340 vs $140. That's a big difference. I could buy 2 GGs and still have money left over for a round of golf for the price of an Arccos.

A used GG is $150 in Amazon. A used Arccos is $320. Again, GG is much cheaper.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

@club ho

You seem to like your widget or thingamajig.

So far I see a lot of upside to ARCCOS. The weather conditions being very poor in New England right now it is hard take advantage of all its features. When the weather improves and we can play under normal conditions, no frozen greens and fairways and comfortable temperatures then the accumulated stats will make sense and give you a great summary of your golf game.

Amazon tends to vary its prices depending on all sorts of variables. I'm getting $370. Maybe if I were on a PC and not a Mac, it might be cheaper.

Let's apply your argument to Game Golf. If one is patient, one might wait till there's a sale on GG. I've seen GG priced at $140 at Rock Bottom Golf, I think I may have even seen $99, but let's say $140.

$340 vs $140. That's a big difference. I could buy 2 GGs and still have money left over for a round of golf for the price of an Arccos.

A used GG is $150 in Amazon. A used Arccos is $320. Again, GG is much cheaper.

Your right I just checked AMAZON and now the price is $370 for ARCCOS. I guess its worth checking back to AMAZON from time to time for prices

No question GG is a much cheaper option and if that format works for you then it makes no sense for you to buy GG.  Myself I am not good on entering information even simple things such as tapping the GG belt Box. I also don't like having the belt box and prefer to have it hidden in my IPHONE. Add to that real time stats and imaging we are talking about two different devices. Also ARCCOS holds multiple rounds in its memory which you can refer to. Not sure about GG on that. To be honest I doubt I would take the time to enter an old round into my computer if I had the spare time to do it.

I believe CALLAWAY is the  backer of ARCCOS so I feel confident that they will be around for a while.

BTW I am not trying to make an argument about GG vs ARCCOS just reporting the way I see the two devices.

Note: This thread is 947 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!