IGNORED

Arccos Game Tracking Device, Looking for Input

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ARCCOS has an Apple Watch app available according to tweet. Some doubts in the tweet replies about battery life. We'll have to find out.

Here's the press release:

http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/88965-Arccos-Golf-Launches-Apple-Watch

Quote:
STAMFORD, Conn. -- Arccos Golf announces that its award-winning GPS + Live Shot Tracking + Tour Analytics platform will be available for Apple Watch when that product launches on April 24, 2015.

The free Arccos app for Apple Watch seamlessly interfaces with the complete Arccos system - 14 virtually weightless sensors that easily attach to the end of a club grip and are paired to the app just once via Bluetooth. It showcases a powerful feature set that includes GPS for nearly 20,000 courses across the U.S. and Canada, personalized club recommendations, shot editing and automatic score tracking.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

ARCCOS has an Apple Watch app available according to tweet. Some doubts in the tweet replies about battery life. We'll have to find out.

Here's the press release:

http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/88965-Arccos-Golf-Launches-Apple-Watch

Might be nice having some info easily available, but you're still tethered to your phone and its GPS. The Apple Watch doesn't do that on its own. If the watch had GPS capabilities that'd make a big difference to how well ARCCOS worked. I played this weekend using the Game Golf app and I pretty much hated having my phone on me. My golf shorts are loose and I was worried it'd pop out at times. Hated worrying about it.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I imagine at some point, we'll see Garmin or SkyCaddie, or whoever create an all-in-one unit that gives you hole layout, distances, tracks your shots by club (such as with GG or Arccos), and breaks out every stat imaginable... With minimal/no manual involvement. Sounds like Arccos is the closest so far to doing all those things... But any of them that operate on GPS are capable of pulling that off at some point. It'll be interesting to see how these units evolve over the coming years...

Might be nice having some info easily available, but you're still tethered to your phone and its GPS. The Apple Watch doesn't do that on its own. If the watch had GPS capabilities that'd make a big difference to how well ARCCOS worked. I played this weekend using the Game Golf app and I pretty much hated having my phone on me. My golf shorts are loose and I was worried it'd pop out at times. Hated worrying about it.

Maybe some nice Nike low profile cargo golf shorts would help with keeping the phone in the pocket haha I have two pair, they're great

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I think I'm going to take the plunge on an arcoss. I really liked the GG system when I first saw it, but after one round trying to play and record with their app I know I'll constantly forget to tag my shots. That's the biggest selling point IMO for the arcoss. Amazon has them for $279 right now. The one thing i worry about with both of these solutions is losing the tags. How secure are they? Am I going to be fishing tags from the bottom of my bag?

I'm sure the GG is a good system, but I went with arccos and it's worked great. I clip my iphone onto my push cart & go golf. Every so often it has a hick up but overall no problems. As for the sensors.. When I first got the package one didn't work. I sent it back to arrcos meanwhile they sent me a replacement no questions asked. Plus I bought a couple extra for back up. They screw into the top of your grips and are in pretty sturdy. I just made it a habit not to just drop my clubs in my bag to prevent damaging them.

I am really interested in this intersection of golf and technology. I am guessing by the end of the season I will own either Game Golf or Arccos.

Respectfully,

I ended up buying the Arccos system last week.  I couldn't pass it up for $279.

I had some issues with the battery that came with the unit dying after 1 round, but I replaced those batteries and have played another 36 holes with no issues.

So far I'm digging it.  It's pretty damn cool to be able to go back through a round, hole by hole, and see where you lost shots.  The analysis of where I'm losing strokes is pretty interesting.  I thought I was missing most of my shots to the left on approaches, but I'm actually missing 72% short.  So I definitely need to start taking more club.  I also thought my chipping was holding me back, but I'm actually chipping a lot better than my handicap.  My drives and approaches are killing me.

Those that have said it's mostly not intrusive, are kind of wrong though. I find myself being far more delicate with the clubs, laying them softly on the ground instead of just chucking them to the side.  Carrying the clubs upside down isn't that big of a deal though.  I also find that I'm less inclined to go back and retry a missed putt or chip after the hole is over, because I don't want to have to go into the app and delete putts.  That's probably a personal preference and may change down the road.

Also, my course is a 9 hole course and I have to end the round and start a new one after I finish 9.  I expected that it would detect that I had looped around and started a new 9, but instead it added those shots onto the previous round which was a bitch to clean up.  Small gripe, but I'm 100% satisified with the purchase.

• 10 months later...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 years later...
2 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Am I the only one out here you loves Arccos?

nope.  there's a handful of us..  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

As far as I know I'm the first one on here to use the new Arccos grips. (Before that I was using the screw in sensors. I needed to regrip so I bought Arccos grips.) 

I've played 3 rounds with them and here are my impressions. 

First let me start by saying I'm a big fan of Arccos. I love keeping all that data. I have also had no problem at all with "phantom shots". I've heard that complaint many times, but I've never experienced it. I will say my Arccos does miss "gimmies" and penalty strokes. But that's super easy to add as you go along. One other benefit is that I no longer pick up "tap ins". I always center my putter behind the ball. Wait for at least one second and then tap it in. Arccos will measure tap ins if you use that method. 

Okay, finally here's my review of the grips:

1 - I put the grips on myself. It was easy to do. It recommended non-water based grip solvent, which as it turns out is what I normally use. Easy squeezy, no trouble at all. I did like that there isn't an alignment aid on the grips. That means they could be put on easily and in any orientation. 

2 - I kept the old Arccos putter sensor. No reason to replace it. Especially since I had to glue mind on. The Arcoss putter sensor doesn't like putters with a counter-balance weight in them. 

3 - I've been playing the Golf Pride CP2 Pro grips for a couple years now and love them. So, at first I didn't like the Lamkin grips that came with the Arccos sensors. Also, I've always liked to have standard sized grips on most of my clubs and a mid-sized on my driver. It took about 4-5 holes to get used to them. Especially on the driver... at least for me. 

4 - Overall the cost was pretty reasonable. I paid $150 for 13 Arrcos grips. That's not too much more than I normally pay for my CP2 Pros. 

5 - After 3 rounds with them I find them to work flawlessly. No phantom shots, no unrecorded shots. Also, I'm starting to like the feel more and more.

Over all, I am very happy with the Arccos grips. The CP2 Pro is still, IMO, the best feeling grip out there. But these are fine and even in wet conditions grip pretty well. If I had 2 suggestions for Arccos they would be: 

1 - Offer a midsized option for players who like a bigger grip.

2 - Sell individual grips (or put one extra in the kit) for people who carry 14 clubs, but sometimes swap in a hybrid for a 4 iron, or swap in an extra wedge for certain courses, or maybe a different driver, what ever. Or for people like my dad who carries 16 clubs. "Dad, that's not legal." … "Oh, that's a bu!!5hit rule." … "Ah, okay dad." Anyway, buying your grips in a 13 pack with a putter sensor isn't always the best option for everyone. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Is there really any incentive to use the grips vs the sensors? 

As you mention, I really have not issues with my sensors, so I am not sure I would benefit at all. Also, I play mid-sized grips, so it's not an issue for me right now anyway.

I love my arccos, but other than it being a really cool data point, I don't use it to improve at all.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

First off, I have no desire for this type of product.  I don't want a thing on my belt to tap - I don't want to carry my I-phone in my pocket.  (Empty pockets, etc during a round is part of my happy place.....as minor as it is).

But - apparently I got one for Christmas....and I am a metrics/data kind of guy.  So we'll see how it goes.

From the comments on this thread -

• NOT a fan of having my phone on me.  But we'll see how that goes.  Likely a belt clip would be better for me than in the pocket  Which requires a belt, and hanging junk from it - also not a fan..... - the only things that should go in a pocket or hung from a belt or waistband are 2 balls, tees, and a marker/repair tool - perhaps a coupon for discount cocktails at the course.
  • Battery drain - meh, don't care.  I have chargers everyone - car, home, work, etc
  • little sensor batteries - meh, don't care - cheap enough, and not a big deal to replace I'm sure.  They look like simple items
  • the weight and balance - I don't know much about this, so likely will be aware and have to decide once I use the things a few time.  They seem a bit chunky to me - though extremely simple.
  • We can review on the phone after the round......I'd prefer to get it from a website and see on my big computer screen with more options at that stage to summary, collate, etc - I suspect this is possible, I just don't know yet.

Bill - 

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, rehmwa said:

First off, I have no desire for this type of product.  I don't want a thing on my belt to tap - I don't want to carry my I-phone in my pocket.  (Empty pockets, etc during a round is part of my happy place.....as minor as it is).

But - apparently I got one for Christmas....and I am a metrics/data kind of guy.  So we'll see how it goes.

From the comments on this thread -

• NOT a fan of having my phone on me.  But we'll see how that goes.  Likely a belt clip would be better for me than in the pocket  Which requires a belt, and hanging junk from it - also not a fan..... - the only things that should go in a pocket or hung from a belt or waistband are 2 balls, tees, and a marker/repair tool - perhaps a coupon for discount cocktails at the course.
  • Battery drain - meh, don't care.  I have chargers everyone - car, home, work, etc
  • little sensor batteries - meh, don't care - cheap enough, and not a big deal to replace I'm sure.  They look like simple items
  • the weight and balance - I don't know much about this, so likely will be aware and have to decide once I use the things a few time.  They seem a bit chunky to me - though extremely simple.
  • We can review on the phone after the round......I'd prefer to get it from a website and see on my big computer screen with more options at that stage to summary, collate, etc - I suspect this is possible, I just don't know yet.

Sounds like you'd be more of a fan of the GAME GOLF than the Arccos. The belt clip unit of LIVE or even Classic is MUCH smaller/lighter than a phone, and so are the tags.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Sounds like you'd be more of a fan of the GAME GOLF than the Arccos. The belt clip unit of LIVE or even Classic is MUCH smaller/lighter than a phone, and so are the tags.

Yup - that a thing with Christmas - you get stuff instead of picking out your own.  But.....She meant well and it's a pretty cool gift really.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 979 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!