IGNORED

Arccos Game Tracking Device, Looking for Input

Note: This thread is 985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

Really??

I always thought gamegolf was on the precipice of greatness in stat tracking and never lived up to its potential.  It frustrated me.  But Arccos seems less robust.  Its possible I just haven't done enough digging around the site yet.  I'm mostly on the app.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, dsc123 said:

I had gamegolf for years and recently switched to arccos.  It works great.  rarely misses a shot.  no belt unit.  But I'm really disappointed in the stats and app interface.  Gamegolf is far superior in that respect.

I think the iPhone Arccos app interface is better on the course.  First off, being able to tell it that my pulled shot ended up in the fairway and not the rough--or vice versa--is really nice (instead of having to adjust the tagged shot location in GameGolf).

Doing the first putt location and hole location on the Arccos app (while walking off the green or waiting at the next tee) is a lot easier for me than remembering stuff to edit on the computer (GameGolf) later on. I know that some people don't want to do it on the course; I can understand that.  But I don't want to have to remember the data for how I played on 18 greens; I also don't want to write it down.  So I like the convenience of the app:

1288828166_greenedit.jpg.c7010d0ab27d230ded0d2637b2fc2975.jpg

However: If you use Arccos and record the shots through the Apple Watch, the putting info saved is only # of putts on the green--you have to edit putt/pin locations after.

And:  Be careful with the putts when you did surprisingly well.  I have noted that it will sometimes not believe me.  I chip in for a birdie (zero putts) or make an awesome 1-putt.  Look back when the round is finished, and it has added in a putt or two.  Fortunately, I remember those quite well at the end of the round and have learned to fix those right away.  "Darn right I birdied that! You calling me a liar?!"

Also: I have had the Apple Watch app freeze up on me during the round.  Nuts. That's annoying.  And so I have for a while stopped using the Apple Watch app for Arccos, using only the iPhone app; and even that has stopped on me during a round (several rounds).  That's more than annoying.  So it's not a perfect system yet.

4 hours ago, dsc123 said:

I always thought gamegolf was on the precipice of greatness in stat tracking and never lived up to its potential.  It frustrated me.  But Arccos seems less robust.  Its possible I just haven't done enough digging around the site yet.  I'm mostly on the app.

That might be it.  I took a few screen shots from the online Arccos account of a "random" user (Ha!).  A lot of this is in the iOS app, too (maybe other info, too--want to know how many times you use your 9 iron vs your pitching wedge? It's in the iOS app).  Anyway, here's some of the data:

Just looking at Approach shots (other categories are driving, chipping, sand, putting):

767477487_approachtotal.jpg.3d178d5109de8ce8d8f2b3d5f08ec68d.jpg

But that's too broad a yardage range.  Okay, adjust the yardage slider (red arrow):

551163492_approachshort.jpg.0dfafa00b38953be619e9cf6f3358c54.jpg

How about a little farther out:

1332541514_approachmedium.jpg.5eef3cc019ae527f3920e6d739e779ff.jpg

Yeah, but that's with all of my clubs.  What about just my 8 iron?:

8i.jpg.0e559be00a173d278b8809e47e224b13.jpg

(And you can adjust yardage range there, too.)

Driver:

driver.jpg.59b2cb6a60854fde402007df450e764e.jpg

There's a list of your "personal bests":

bests.jpg.40aea80f05688710dd599d230ac3673b.jpg

And I haven't even gone into the part where they break down your "handicap" for driving/approach/chipping/sand/putting/overall--  kind of their take on Strokes Gained (although a recent email suggested maybe they might switch to SG sometime). [Edit: Looking over my post, I see that in the "approach" screenshots I posted above, they have a SG tab.  So they have that now.]   For each club, you have a "smart distance," "smart range," "longest," GIR%.  The overview for a round has a satellite image for each hole, but also has details for each stroke in a tabular form.

I think it's pretty cool stuff.

Was there something specific you were looking for?  I might be able to look and find it.  (I still sometimes find myself thinking "I know there was a place that showed me xxxx--where was that again?")

Edited by Missouri Swede
  • Thumbs Up 1

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

On 5/21/2020 at 3:17 PM, billchao said:

The only reason I don't switch is the hardware.

I have the screw in tops on my clubs, except one, which is the new Cobra 3w I bought.  That came with the cobra connect in the grip.  (Which you can also get with Ping clubs and separate grips).   It is way better.  Next time I change grips I am definitely going this route.  

on a side note:  cool thing I learned while playing today.  If someone who has arccos plays a round before you and adjusts the pins, it saves the pin positions for the day for everyone else that uses arccos.    I noticed today that every pin was in the correct spot rather than in the middle of the green and wondered how it knew.  Looked it up and so it is. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, lastings said:

on a side note:  cool thing I learned while playing today.  If someone who has arccos plays a round before you and adjusts the pins, it saves the pin positions for the day for everyone else that uses arccos.    I noticed today that every pin was in the correct spot rather than in the middle of the green and wondered how it knew.  Looked it up and so it is. 

GAME does this as well. It's nice.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 5/21/2020 at 9:20 PM, Missouri Swede said:

And:  Be careful with the putts when you did surprisingly well.  I have noted that it will sometimes not believe me.  I chip in for a birdie (zero putts) or make an awesome 1-putt.  Look back when the round is finished, and it has added in a putt or two.  Fortunately, I remember those quite well at the end of the round and have learned to fix those right away.  "Darn right I birdied that! You calling me a liar?!"

There is an option called Smart Putt Detection, you just have to disable it.

As far as the HCP breakdown, that's a nice feature, I have always enjoined looking at it at the end of a round, even thou some values may be weird.

For instance, I think the putting hcp score is a bit too generous; I have a hcp of 24, but usually it gives me a 5-10 hcp for putting, when my average putt per round is about 2.0.

A piece of advise for everyone is to join the Facebook Arccos group, you can find people who have been using the sensors for +3 years and know every feature/bug...

• Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

For instance, I think the putting hcp score is a bit too generous; I have a hcp of 24, but usually it gives me a 5-10 hcp for putting, when my average putt per round is about 2.0.

No, this is likely correct.  As many know around here, high handicap players putt much closer to what a scratch golfer does, then other aspects of the game.   

lower handicap players often have fewer putts in a round not because they putt way better but, instead, because they hit their approach shots and chips much closer. 

check out my swing here

3 hours ago, Yossarian said:

A piece of advise for everyone is to join the Facebook Arccos group, you can find people who have been using the sensors for +3 years and know every feature/bug...

Thanks. I didn’t know about that. I’ll have to check that out and see if they workarounds for the glitches I come across. 

Craig

On 5/21/2020 at 9:20 PM, Missouri Swede said:

Just looking at Approach shots (other categories are driving, chipping, sand, putting):

767477487_approachtotal.jpg.3d178d5109de8ce8d8f2b3d5f08ec68d.jpg

But that's too broad a yardage range.  Okay, adjust the yardage slider (red arrow):

551163492_approachshort.jpg.0dfafa00b38953be619e9cf6f3358c54.jpg

How about a little farther out:

1332541514_approachmedium.jpg.5eef3cc019ae527f3920e6d739e779ff.jpg

Yeah, but that's with all of my clubs.  What about just my 8 iron?:

8i.jpg.0e559be00a173d278b8809e47e224b13.jpg

(And you can adjust yardage range there, too.)

Driver:

driver.jpg.59b2cb6a60854fde402007df450e764e.jpg

Man, I was on the fence about whether I wanted to get Arccos, but seeing all the info that it provides may have clinched it for me. Just need the world to open up again so I can afford it...

Justin

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Draw 11* Evenflow Blue 65 X

Fairway Wood: :callaway: Epic Flash 5 Wood 18* Tensei Blue AV 75 X
Irons: :titleist: AP3 4-PW Project X 6.5   |   Wedges: :callaway: MD4 50*/56*/60*
Putter: :odyssey: O-Works Tank #1

My Swing

• 2 months later...

Looking for the latest reviews on the Arccos system. I'm about to order ping g710 irons and I wanted different grips from the stock golf prides that come with the Arccos sensors but it does sound appealing. 

Is there a better tracking system? 

• iacas changed the title to Arccos Game Tracking Device, Looking for Input

Arccos has updated their iOS app to show analytics differently—more emphasis on strokes gained in various parts of the game. The online dashboard is still the same (for now, I guess).

By the way, does anyone see where the overall GIR stats are? Not just for one round (I see that in dashboard and iOS), and not just under “approach” (when I calculate 10 rounds or 20 rounds manually I get a very different number from “approach”, so they must calculate it differently for that section). I emailed customer support and got an answer that didn’t really make sense, but I figure the number has got to be there somewhere.

Craig

On 8/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Missouri Swede said:

Arccos has updated their iOS app to show analytics differently—more emphasis on strokes gained in various parts of the game. The online dashboard is still the same (for now, I guess).

Mine still looks the same on iOS.  When was the update? I’m not seeing an update available.  

does yours look like this?  Or is there something new? 
1A3D0762-445F-45F8-B085-99EB08B83B7E.thumb.png.fddc384a3909cc7fb777fbc8cf2c6f37.png

and..  if yours does still look like mine, just click approach at the top and it will bring you to overall gir stats.  Or you can select clubs and see your stats for each individual club and distance.  

323A4E2C-B10D-4F64-8EDE-CB390374A8E9.thumb.png.1ab3d79929d9a811cf96390506e85c85.png

On 8/15/2020 at 9:43 AM, Missouri Swede said:

and not just under “approach” (when I calculate 10 rounds or 20 rounds manually I get a very different number from “approach”, so they must calculate it differently for that section).

disregard my last part about GIR..   I missed this part of your post.  

check out my swing here

1 hour ago, lastings said:

Mine still looks the same on iOS.  When was the update? I’m not seeing an update available.  

does yours look like this?  Or is there something new? 

Mine updated Friday night or Saturday morning.  If it's not showing up in the updates part of the App Store, it might show up if you go to Search (in the App Store) and search for Arccos Caddie. Instead of saying "open" it'll probably say "update."  (I've found updates for other apps on occasion like that.)

Here's what my "player" home page looks like:

2041443293_newarccos.jpg.c591a1d3e8d0f185fb755b6b5bed3f43.jpg

At no extra cost to me, the update also dropped my (estimated) handicap. In the old format (which still is what shows up in the online Dashboard), they estimate me as 18.7, but in the iOS "new hotness" I've improved to a 16.4, without even swinging a club. Hmmm.

Craig

12 hours ago, Missouri Swede said:

Mine updated Friday night or Saturday morning.  If it's not showing up in the updates part of the App Store, it might show up if you go to Search (in the App Store) and search for Arccos Caddie. Instead of saying "open" it'll probably say "update."  (I've found updates for other apps on occasion like that.)

Here's what my "player" home page looks like:

2041443293_newarccos.jpg.c591a1d3e8d0f185fb755b6b5bed3f43.jpg

At no extra cost to me, the update also dropped my (estimated) handicap. In the old format (which still is what shows up in the online Dashboard), they estimate me as 18.7, but in the iOS "new hotness" I've improved to a 16.4, without even swinging a club. Hmmm.

Ok, I deleted the app and downloaded it again and got the new update.  And, I gotta say, wow!    So much better, so much more detailed.    Being able to select a target handicap and seeing on which aspects you are gaining and losing strokes to that handicap is awesome.     Even better, which part of that aspect of the game.  For example, I lose about 2 strokes to a scratch player putter.  But, I am pretty much equal on 10-25ft putts and 25-50ft putts.   I’m a good lag putter, but I lose about 2 strokes on 0-10 ft putts.  Gotta putt a couple more close ones in per round.  

I was reading about it and your estimated handicap will likely change and they are operating based on an entirely different methodology based all on strokes gained data from the history of all arccos users.    Mine actually got a bit worse.  

also, at the top of the screen switch it from “overall game” to “approach”. Than, scroll all the way to the bottom.  That’ll give you those GIR stats you were looking for. 

12C3D1A3-547B-4742-8609-2FB44D9CF6E0.thumb.png.ad4aebf944cd37b43db64b9c4f1ef3b5.png

check out my swing here

10 hours ago, lastings said:

also, at the top of the screen switch it from “overall game” to “approach”. Than, scroll all the way to the bottom.  That’ll give you those GIR stats you were looking for. 

12C3D1A3-547B-4742-8609-2FB44D9CF6E0.thumb.png.ad4aebf944cd37b43db64b9c4f1ef3b5.png

Yeah, I saw that. We can also pull those up by round.  The problem is, it isn't GiR.  I've been messing with numbers from my recent rounds, and I don't come up with the % that they do.  So whatever they're reporting, it isn't GiR as far as I can tell.

A round from a couple days ago, I had 7 GiR:

1709050531_7of18GiR.thumb.jpg.9b95ffee26036a2abd20eaf5e7160624.jpg

Easy math, 38.8%, round to 39%.  But for that round, they're saying

1192527865_44gir.thumb.jpg.87a6eb3717f12cfe79a498d90bed68e7.jpg

I get the same kind of wrong numbers no matter which individual round I choose, or if I tell it to go to use 5 rounds, 3 rounds, 2 rounds.  I mean, GiR as just a simple stat isn't that hard.  So whatever they're doing in "Approach," I don't think they're meaning GiR the way I think of GiR (par 3 tee shot on green, par 4 second shot on green or better, par 5 third shot on green or better).

When I emailed them about it a week or two ago (before the update), I got an answer that didn't make much sense to me at all--I'm still not sure what their answer was trying to say.  All I was looking for was GiR over my last 10 rounds or 5 rounds or whatever.  I can look it up individually in Dashboard (until they update it) and then calculate it myself, but I would think it would be a basic number they would report.  But I guess not.

Craig

46 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Yeah, I saw that. We can also pull those up by round.  The problem is, it isn't GiR.  I've been messing with numbers from my recent rounds, and I don't come up with the % that they do.  So whatever they're reporting, it isn't GiR as far as I can tell.

A round from a couple days ago, I had 7 GiR:

1709050531_7of18GiR.thumb.jpg.9b95ffee26036a2abd20eaf5e7160624.jpg

Easy math, 38.8%, round to 39%.  But for that round, they're saying

1192527865_44gir.thumb.jpg.87a6eb3717f12cfe79a498d90bed68e7.jpg

I get the same kind of wrong numbers no matter which individual round I choose, or if I tell it to go to use 5 rounds, 3 rounds, 2 rounds.  I mean, GiR as just a simple stat isn't that hard.  So whatever they're doing in "Approach," I don't think they're meaning GiR the way I think of GiR (par 3 tee shot on green, par 4 second shot on green or better, par 5 third shot on green or better).

When I emailed them about it a week or two ago (before the update), I got an answer that didn't make much sense to me at all--I'm still not sure what their answer was trying to say.  All I was looking for was GiR over my last 10 rounds or 5 rounds or whatever.  I can look it up individually in Dashboard (until they update it) and then calculate it myself, but I would think it would be a basic number they would report.  But I guess not.

Interesting.  I haven’t really tried to match it up.   I’ll try to look later and see how accurate mine is. 

check out my swing here

• 2 weeks later...

I have around 50 rounds played with Arccos. I like it. I tried a round with Shot Scope V3 but went right back to Arccos. The ability to edit shots (generally just putting) in real time is what I find helpful. Saw someone else posted similar thoughts. I can edit pin and first putt location right after or soon after putting out.

the GPS for shot scope (like any GPS) is only good for +/- 5 yards or so. I had to try and edit pins and putts when my round completed. Could not remember them all. It also has trouble (jist like Arccos) picking up tap in putts.

Phone in front pocket doesn’t bother me. I tried using Apple Watch but that was a disaster. Missed like 20% of iron/woods and nearly all putts. Might try the new link.

2 hours ago, tsproul said:

Phone in front pocket doesn’t bother me. I tried using Apple Watch but that was a disaster. Missed like 20% of iron/woods and nearly all putts. Might try the new link.

I finally got the Watch app to work pretty reliably for shot detection, and find that I like it better than using the iPhone for detection. Turning the watch around so the crown is pointed to the elbow (instead of to the wrist) can help, I’ve read. I had gotten used to the iPhone in my front pocket; but I still prefer it in back pocket, so the Watch works better for me.

Craig

Note: This thread is 985 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!