IGNORED

Robert Allenby Claims He Was Kidnapped, Beaten, Robbed in Hawaii

jamo
Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Not surprised there are conflicting versions, and some of the data that appears "conflicting" may actually be true and consistent.

Amuse Wine Bar is not in Waikiki, and not in a tourist area.  It's actually on Kapiolani in the Honolulu Design Center, a good couple miles from Waikiki and not even remotely connected to Waikiki or a tourist area.  It is on a stretch of Kapiolani that includes several high end car dealerships; I've heard Allenby is a car guy, so maybe he was shopping. If he wanted wine, there wouldn't have been much reason for him to head all the way over to the west side of Ala Moana Center on Kapiolani (unless he was already over there).  The area of Kahala where Allenby was staying has plenty of high end food and drink.

The Kahala Beach Hotel where Allenby was staying is 6-8 miles (or so) from the wine bar where Allenby was.  So he could have been dropped in a park "10 kilometers away" from where he was abducted and also been "a block from his hotel".  The Kahala is directly across the street from the entrance to the Waialae Clubhouse.  (Now it does seem odd that they would have dropped him in Kahala, which is not exactly on the way to anything and certainly not close to where Allenby was drinking.)

The newspapers almost never get the details of these stories correct, and the authorities won't be giving them any copies of the reports or statements while investigations are open and charging decisions are pending.  (Under the current Honolulu State's Attorney, that would be grounds for swift termination.  When he was first elected, he wouldn't even allow military prosecutors to have copies of DUI reports so that we could write reprimands for Soldiers.)  Victims' statements are rarely completely true or consistent, particularly when alcohol and trauma are involved.  It will take him a few weeks before he actually forms a complete, coherent, and chronological memory of the events (if he ever does).

I really doubt the homeless lady's story has much factual value.  She saw something--maybe Allenby being robbed a second time by some homeless dudes--and probably got paid $100 or so by a reporter for her version.  I'd also be curious to know exactly where the trunk drop & homeless encounter happened, because Kahala is a rather exclusive enclave and I don't recall ever seeing homeless people hanging around there.  The homeless are in parks in and around Waikiki and the stretch between Chinatown and Waikiki, which would include the stretch of Kapiolani where Allenby was drinking.  (There aren't any parks directly around the Honolulu Design Center, but there are plenty within a block of Kapiolani in both the Waikiki direction and the Chinatown direction.)

I'd bet money that the real story goes something like this.  Allenby is shopping for cars on Kapiolani and gets set up by some dudes at one of the dealerships.  They "befriend" Allenby and all head to the Amuse Wine Bar (only a block away).  Allenby's new "friends" call some friends of their own to take care of Allenby.  What happened to the caddy and Allenby's buddy?  I'll bet the new "friends" isolated Allenby by taking the caddy somewhere else, like maybe another bar or a strip club.  Allenby wasn't feeling good (because he was drugged) so he was just going to "head back to the hotel".  When the rest of the group separated and the target was alone, the friends of Allenby's new "friends" snatched him up.

Maybe not exactly like that, but I'll bet I'm close.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMO when anyone takes enough substance to the point where they don't remember or they black out are in fact putting them selves in what ever questionable situation they end up in.. so the fact that posters question and speculate about what happened is expected.

Do we know that he (willingly) took "enough substance to the point where they don't remember?"  Couldn't it also have been that having the bloody pulp beat out of him or receiving a concussion would also cause him to black out?  And if we're going to speculate that he was doing things he shouldn't then isn't it equally fair to speculate that he was drugged by somebody else?

It's already been said, but I guess it bears repeating ... you guys are really champing at the bit with those pitchforks.  Why?

Do we know that he (willingly) took "enough substance to the point where they don't remember?"  Couldn't it also have been that having the bloody pulp beat out of him or receiving a concussion would also cause him to black out?  And if we're going to speculate that he was doing things he shouldn't then isn't it equally fair to speculate that he was drugged by somebody else? It's already been said, but I guess it bears repeating ... you guys are really champing at the bit with those pitchforks.  Why?

Speculate away, I don't think anyone is going to tell you not to. My statement above is a pretty general statement even if I was insinuating that this was the case. However, like you pointed out maybe he was drugged there isn't anyway for us to know, but I stick by my general statement that who ever consumes these substances willingly bears a responsibility of what happens to them. In terms of pitch forks comment please refer to my post #32 as it seems all you are looking to read are "I hope he is better" comments which doesn't make for an interesting read IMO

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Do we know that he (willingly) took "enough substance to the point where they don't remember?"  Couldn't it also have been that having the bloody pulp beat out of him or receiving a concussion would also cause him to black out?  And if we're going to speculate that he was doing things he shouldn't then isn't it equally fair to speculate that he was drugged by somebody else?

It's already been said, but I guess it bears repeating ... you guys are really champing at the bit with those pitchforks.  Why?

When dots don't connect people will speculate, which is human nature. Personally, I'll wait until there is more investigation.

Dude took quite a beating.

Bill M

[QUOTE name="Golfingdad" url="/t/79330/robert-allenby-kidnapped-beaten-robbed-in-hawaii/36#post_1096434"]   Do we know that he (willingly) took "enough substance to the point where they don't remember?"  Couldn't it also have been that having the bloody pulp beat out of him or receiving a concussion would also cause him to black out?  And if we're going to speculate that he was doing things he shouldn't then isn't it equally fair to speculate that he was drugged by somebody else? It's already been said, but I guess it bears repeating ... you guys are really champing at the bit with those pitchforks. Why? [/QUOTE] When dots don't connect people will speculate, which is human nature. Personally, I'll wait until there is more investigation. Dude took quite a beating.

Regardless of the situation, I feel bad for him. I'm sure he'll be more careful in the future. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

When dots don't connect people will speculate, which is human nature. Personally, I'll wait until there is more investigation. Dude took quite a beating.

Also, when it happens to a famous person it is subject to a lot more speculating. Take for example if someone said oh this happened to a buddy of mine or to a relative it would pretty much be oh man I feel so bad and then everyone moves on, but when it happens to someone in the spotlight it is just a different beast. At least that is what I've seen over and over again.

Eyad

Speculate away, I don't think anyone is going to tell you not to. My statement above is a pretty general statement even if I was insinuating that this was the case. However, like you pointed out maybe he was drugged there isn't anyway for us to know, but I stick by my general statement that who ever consumes these substances willingly bears a responsibility of what happens to them.

In terms of pitch forks comment please refer to my post #32 as it seems all you are looking to read are "I hope he is better" comments which doesn't make for an interesting read IMO

Huh?  That's not even a rebuttal.  You stipulate that there isn't any way for us to know what happened or why he doesn't remember what happened, then in the same sentence blame him.  What the hell?

And your argument makes no ****ing sense!  Because it's "boring" to sit around and feel bad for somebody, that is a license to just say whatever the hell we want about them?  You don't just get to make shit up because it's more interesting.

• Upvote 1

Huh?  That's not even a rebuttal.  You stipulate that there isn't any way for us to know what happened or why he doesn't remember what happened, then in the same sentence blame him.  What the hell? And your argument makes no ****ing sense!  Because it's "boring" to sit around and feel bad for somebody, that is a license to just say whatever the hell we want about them?  You don't just get to make shit up because it's more interesting.

No, when I said general statement I meant that in the case a person ie any person willingly consumes substance (and not general statement about this specific person) who I just conceded that you are right maybe he was drugged. I think you just misunderstood what I said.. Read it again please. For your second point im not saying make stuff up, but speculate plausible scenarios especially if there are indicators like inconsistent story telling which seems like something we have here. You can disagree with me, but for me I eant to read more than "I feel bad" especially if there is reason to believe there is more to the story. Plus, just like I have no issue with people speculating they need to be able to bear the scrutiny if it turns out they were dead wrong.

Eyad

Speculate away, I don't think anyone is going to tell you not to. My statement above is a pretty general statement even if I was insinuating that this was the case. However, like you pointed out maybe he was drugged there isn't anyway for us to know, but I stick by my general statement that who ever consumes these substances willingly bears a responsibility of what happens to them.

In terms of pitch forks comment please refer to my post #32 as it seems all you are looking to read are "I hope he is better" comments which doesn't make for an interesting read IMO

Nobody is surprised by this because this is a constant theme, you only come into these threads to get on a soapbox.

Dave :-)

Nobody is surprised by this because this is a constant theme, you only come into these threads to get on a soapbox.

I'm not really sure what this is supposed to mean, but since you speak in the name of everyone I will move on.. I will point out that my original post in the thread was stating that I am glad he made it out of this ordeal alive..

Eyad

No, when I said general statement I meant that in the case a person ie any person willingly consumes substance (and not general statement about this specific person) who I just conceded that you are right maybe he was drugged. I think you just misunderstood what I said.. Read it again please.

For your second point im not saying make stuff up, but speculate plausible scenarios especially if there are indicators like inconsistent story telling which seems like something we have here.

You can disagree with me, but for me I eant to read more than "I feel bad" especially if there is reason to believe there is more to the story. Plus, just like I have no issue with people speculating they need to be able to bear the scrutiny if it turns out they were dead wrong.

I don't need to read it again.

You simply cannot say that it's a "general statement" and think you can get away with it when you are in a thread with a persons name in the title.  It doesn't work that way.  That is clear and blatant insinuation, and not remotely a "general statement."

Consider a post like this:

"People who don't practice properly and don't listen to experts when they are told that they swing considerably out-to-in and pull the snot out of the ball are never going to improve if they ignore  advice."

That post would read considerably different if I were to post it in the "Proper Practice" thread versus if I were to post it into your swing thread.  Know what I mean?  In the practice thread, I'm just offering a random example as advice to whoever feels like reading it.  In your thread, it would read an awful lot like a dig or an accusation.  Unless I'm an idiot, I don't get to post that in your thread and then be surprised when you are offended (not that you automatically would be) by it or take issue with it.

And again, I don't care if you find sympathy to be boring, it doesn't give you or anybody else a right to go around accusing people of things without basis.

Have we all forgotten the Golden Rule?  Don't forget to consider what it might be like in his shoes.

I don't need to read it again. You simply cannot say that it's a "general statement" and think you can get away with it when you are in a thread with a persons name in the title.  It doesn't work that way.  That is clear and blatant insinuation, and not remotely a "general statement." Consider a post like this: "People who don't practice properly and don't listen to experts when they are told that they swing considerably out-to-in and pull the snot out of the ball are never going to improve if they ignore  advice." That post would read considerably different if I were to post it in the "Proper Practice" thread versus if I were to post it into your swing thread.  Know what I mean?  In the practice thread, I'm just offering a random example as advice to whoever feels like reading it.  In your thread, it would read an awful lot like a dig or an accusation.  Unless I'm an idiot, I don't get to post that in your thread and then be surprised when you are offended (not that you automatically would be) by it or take issue with it. And again, I don't care if you find sympathy to be boring, it doesn't give you or anybody else a right to go around accusing people of things without basis. Have we all forgotten the Golden Rule?  Don't forget to consider what it might be like in his shoes.

Fine, I understand where you are coming from in terms of my general statement, I'll take care to be more careful with those. In terms of speculation I respectfully disagree with you and I have no issue giving people leeway to come up with plausible scenarios.

Eyad

Huh?  That's not even a rebuttal.  You stipulate that there isn't any way for us to know what happened or why he doesn't remember what happened, then in the same sentence blame him.  What the hell?

And your argument makes no ****ing sense!  Because it's "boring" to sit around and feel bad for somebody, that is a license to just say whatever the hell we want about them?  You don't just get to make shit up because it's more interesting.

Unless it is about Tiger Woods, in which case connecting the dots with speculation about anything is some folks' (not you) favorite parlor game.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

In terms of speculation I respectfully disagree with you and I have no issue giving people leeway to come up with plausible scenarios.

Of course you do.  Nobody that's not new to TST is reading this thread and just now learning that Eyad is judgmental (or approving when others are, as is this case).

I'm not going to speculate other than to say that there's some of this that doesn't pass the smell test. Saying that the hospital told him don't bother drug testing because it's "probably" out of his system is fishy.

Colin P.

Sounds fishy as time goes on here, hope not.  The women who found him has mentioned that he found RA less than a block away, not miles. This will get interesting.

You're mixing a couple of things up, and this was already addressed above by @k-troop .  The wine bar is a few miles from his hotel and he was found a few miles from the wine bar.  The witness says he was a block from his hotel.  Those facts actually line up quite well.

The title of that article is awfully "click-baity" to me.  I'm failing to see any actual conflicts.

Note: This thread is 3192 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!