IGNORED

Robert Allenby Claims He Was Kidnapped, Beaten, Robbed in Hawaii

jamo
Note: This thread is 3191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Am I the only one thinking there'll be a trip to an interstate rest-stop men's room revealed before this is all said and done?  I'm guessing he approached the wrong dude.  I mean . .as long as we're speculating and all.

Not sure which is more strange: this comment, or the fact that Oahu actually has 3 interstate highways. (But they don't have rest stops.)

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure which is more strange: this comment, or the fact that Oahu actually has 3 interstate highways. (But they don't have rest stops.)

They're getting a little loose with the definition of " inter states"

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

They're getting a little loose with the definition of " inter states"

They connect the state to the United States (ie the military bases).

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I think you're being a bit naïve in how you're presenting the circumstances.  While I question the reporting of what actually happened let's not underestimate the criminal mind.  The locals knew a PGA golf tournament was being played there which means lots of easy targets with money were running all over the island and would be easy marks.  When I participated in trade shows in my industry it was not coincidence that there were more prostitutes and homeless working the areas around the convention center and local bars trying to get a piece of the out of towners money.  It's this reason why I said we always traveled in groups because people on their own were easier targets.

For all we know, the same guys that mugged Allenby had mugged other visitors and it was simply a case of Allenby being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

No doubt that certain elements will be where there is "visiting money" and try to take advantage, and I'm sure that tournament brings in a lot of money to the local economy, but if players start feeling unsafe and decide not to play it would be bad for the community.  I would think that local law enforcement would go out of their way to solve high profile cases in an effort to keep the players coming back.  Someone else suggested that it's likely no one will ever be charged and he might be right, but it seems a little backwards to me...

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

For all we know, he raged hard at a bar after missing the cut. blacked out woke up someplace with some bruises.

Would not be the 1st pro to be unable to admit that they have a drinking issues.

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

For all we know, he raged hard at a bar after missing the cut. blacked out woke up someplace with some bruises. Would not be the 1st pro to be unable to admit that they have a drinking issues.

Yeah, but Daly was at least fun.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Dont know how accurate the reporting is, but there is too many questions for me to buy his story.

"(Newser) – How insane was Australian pro golfer Robert Allenby's Friday night? As he put it to NBC Sports on Sunday , "You see this in movies. I've watched Taken and Taken 2 a few times. It's kind of like a spitting image." The golfer claimed he went to a Honolulu wine bar with friends, was lured to the parking lot (under false pretenses) after going to the bathroom, then beat up, put in a car's trunk, and dumped six miles away in a park, for reasons unclear. But there are some new twists and weirdness: In Allenby's telling, a homeless woman came to his aid after seeing a number of men kicking him. Except Charade Keane told the Honolulu Star-Advertiser yesterday that she found Keane one block from the wine bar talking to two homeless men she knew who said Allenby had hit his head on a rock.

She did say the group began arguing when she arrived, and "I realized this wasn't well." Per Golfweek , the golfer asked Keane to tell the men he'd pay them $500 if they would return his stolen wallet and phone. She says the men didn't actually have his things, but asked her to lie to Allenby and say they would exchange the items for the money. Keane says that made her realize they needed to split. The Golf Channel reports Allenby has since texted a GC insider, saying, "I'm guessing she's getting paid." And Honolulu police say they have security footage of a man buying alcohol with Allenby's credit card. Two lingering questions:

• From Australia's 9News : "What happened during the three hours between when Allenby left the wine bar at 11pm and when Ms Keane discovered him at 2am"?
  • And from Deadspin : Why didn't Allenby's friend or his caddie, with whom he was out to dinner at the wine bar, think anything was up when he disappeared for hours while going to the bathroom?"
http://www.newser.com/story/201554/kidnapped-beaten-golfers-story-is-getting-murkier.html

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Even if he was falling down drunk it's no more douchy than some of the comments in this thread sheesh. Who knew TST was a place for perfect people to congregate.

Dave :-)

Even if he was falling down drunk it's no more douchy than some of the comments in this thread sheesh. Who knew TST was a place for perfect people to congregate.

i agree that some of the comments have been douchey, but the story has had a weirdness to it from the beginning.

Colin P.

not to go all conspiracy theory/speculation here, but it does seem more plausible that allenby may have come out of the bar very drunk, fell down, out came his wallet, in the darkness couldn't find it, or didn't even realize it was gone, and somebody picked it up and had a field day with the credit cards. in allenby's embarassment, he concocted his story of the beating/kidnapping.

not to go all conspiracy theory/speculation here, but it does seem more plausible that allenby may have come out of the bar very drunk, fell down, out came his wallet, in the darkness couldn't find it, or didn't even realize it was gone, and somebody picked it up and had a field day with the credit cards. in allenby's embarassment, he concocted his story of the beating/kidnapping.

If you looked at the photo, that looks like more than just falling down.  There may be more to it than what Allenby has stated, but it sure looks like somebody beat the crap out of him.

Edit:  I don't know any more.  I guess I really don't care all that much either.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Bizarre.

Another witness contradicts his story, too:  http://deadspin.com/robert-allenbys-kidnapping-story-challenged-by-another-1681012590  But witnesses accounts often conflict. Not very reliable.

And then there's this:

Quote:
The only point on which there appears to be agreement is the credit card use, as surveillance video at nearby stores reportedly shows an unnamed individual purchasing more than $10,000 in goods with Allenby's card at several stores, including an Urban Outfitters and ABC liquor store in Waikiki.

Perhaps he just doesn't really know what happened and he put it together the best he could?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Bizarre.

Another witness contradicts his story, too:  http://deadspin.com/robert-allenbys-kidnapping-story-challenged-by-another-1681012590  But witnesses accounts often conflict. Not very reliable.

And then there's this:

Perhaps he just doesn't really know what happened and he put it together the best he could?

I'm sorry but this is really funny (from the comments section of the above article and quite off topic):  "I know it's the offseason for him, but Troy Polamalu has really let himself go." :beer:

I'm with @Fourputt on this one now ... apathetic.  Don't know, don't care. :-P

I'm sorry but this is really funny (from the comments section of the above article and quite off topic):  "I know it's the offseason for him, but Troy Polamalu has really let himself go."

I'm with @Fourputt on this one now ... apathetic.  Don't know, don't care.

I actually wrote "Troy Polamalu's account differed" but then felt like I was stealing someone else's joke and re-wrote the sentence.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

This whole thing gets crazier and crazier.  How does someone make a single $25,000 purchase at a jewelry store, as Allenby claimed, without having to show ID?  How does a homeless guy spend 10,000 in a variety of stores with a credit card without having to show ID?  Maybe in Hawaii the homeless dress (and smell) better than in the cities I am familiar with?  Because if a typical NY or LA homeless person tried to spend that kind of money with a credit card metaphorical alarm bells would have gone off all over the place.

This story from a newspaper in Hawaii on which the golf channel story was based gives more details but each one makes the story screwier.

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/27910324/golfer-sticks-by-his-story-in-spite-of-mounting-skepticism

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

The vetran cop who refused to be identified basically said exactly what I mentioned at some point, that it is an awfully lot of trouble to go through and kidnap the guy to rob him. Also they mentiond his in the report above: "Veteran police officers said kidnapping usually involves people who know each other, such as a drug dealer and someone who owes him money. And it's almost unheard of for crooks in Hawaii to kidnap a tourist as part of a robbery, officers said" The cops aren't even willing to open an abduction case or even a robery case because of the lack of evidence. The story of him being a drunk who passed out on the side walk is gaining a lot of traction now, especially since it sounds like he hurt himself falling down according to the cops and eyewitness accounts. IF he was drugged the first suspects would be the two he was drinking wih if you ask me, who conspicuously were no where to be found while their friend was sleeping on the side walk.. Edit: it would be a real turn of events if he is indeed charged with false reporting.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

You can see from the photos that he wasn't bashed.

The guy saying he hit is head on a rock seems to be correct :-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 3191 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!