IGNORED

Robert Allenby Claims He Was Kidnapped, Beaten, Robbed in Hawaii

jamo
Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys passing out drunk can do a lot of damage to themselves.  The story was fishy when I first read it and as the details come out, it's still seems like a cover up on Allenby's part.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guys passing out drunk can do a lot of damage to themselves.  The story was fishy when I first read it and as the details come out, it's still seems like a cover up on Allenby's part.

Guys that are drunk can do a lot of damage to themselves, without passing out. I said I wasn't going to speculate, but now that more details came out, I'm starting to formulate a picture. What I think happened was Mr. Allenby was passed out drunk somewhere on the street and a couple of guys picked his pockets. The theft and the trauma to his face might not be related. His friends probably went back to the hotel for the night and he wanted to stay out longer, which would explain why they weren't with him.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Guys that are drunk can do a lot of damage to themselves, without passing out.

I said I wasn't going to speculate, but now that more details came out, I'm starting to formulate a picture. What I think happened was Mr. Allenby was passed out drunk somewhere on the street and a couple of guys picked his pockets. The theft and the trauma to his face might not be related.

His friends probably went back to the hotel for the night and he wanted to stay out longer, which would explain why they weren't with him.

But how would you guys explain his decision to stick around at the tournament and go on TV for the interview and just generally make a giant spectacle of himself?  If you did something that embarrassing, wouldn't the best "cover-up" simply be to lay low and keep it out of the spotlight?  Then, only after some reporter sniffed out the story (which I'd submit would be fairly unlikely, because lets be honest; who gives a shit about Robert Allenby?) could he throw out his wild tale.

EDIT:  Note that I'm not disagreeing with you guys - the story that Troy Palamalu told actually seems perfectly reasonable- it's just that the spectacle he created would be the biggest question mark for me if that were the case.  Just a big, giant "What were you thinking?" moment.

But how would you guys explain his decision to stick around at the tournament and go on TV for the interview and just generally make a giant spectacle of himself?  If you did something that embarrassing, wouldn't the best "cover-up" simply be to lay low and keep it out of the spotlight?  Then, only after some reporter sniffed out the story (which I'd submit would be fairly unlikely, because lets be honest; who gives a shit about Robert Allenby?) could he throw out his wild tale. EDIT:  Note that I'm not disagreeing with you guys - the story that Troy Palamalu told actually seems perfectly reasonable- it's just that the spectacle he created would be the biggest question mark for me if that were the case.  Just a big, giant "What were you thinking?" moment.

I don't know. Maybe he likes to be drum up drama and draw attention to himself. Maybe he couldn't remember what happened or was embarrassed by it and fabricated a story that went out of control. Maybe he legitimately believes he was kidnapped. There is definitely a real crime that happened, with evidence to prove it. So at the very least he's a victim of something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

But how would you guys explain his decision to stick around at the tournament and go on TV for the interview and just generally make a giant spectacle of himself?  If you did something that embarrassing, wouldn't the best "cover-up" simply be to lay low and keep it out of the spotlight?

Because he has a history of being a narcissistic, self-righteous publicity hound who would rather create drama than leave things be.

Notice how the $1000 had to be given to the lady when the cameras were on?  And now she's had enough of it all......

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Because he has a history of being a narcissistic, self-righteous publicity hound who would rather create drama than leave things be. Notice how the $1000 had to be given to the lady when the cameras were on?  And now she's had enough of it all......

I see. So he's like the Dan Plan?

I'm like, Troy Polamalu !?! Being a Steeler fan, I had to go Google his involvement with this, or thinking he was involved in a separate incident, but all that showed up was the rumors of his imminent release and/or retirement. And then, it dawned on me, you're referring to the homeless guy!!

If you looked at the photo, that looks like more than just falling down.  There may be more to it than what Allenby has stated, but it sure looks like somebody beat the crap out of him.

Edit:  I don't know any more.  I guess I really don't care all that much either.

I saw the photo. I'm no expert at determining the nature of wounds by no means. It does look like a pretty good scrape on the forehead like he was dragged or something, but I don't know for sure. But based on the golf channel article and police reaction, it seems to fall somewhere between allenby's recollection and what really happened.

But how would you guys explain his decision to stick around at the tournament and go on TV for the interview and just generally make a giant spectacle of himself?  If you did something that embarrassing, wouldn't the best "cover-up" simply be to lay low and keep it out of the spotlight?  Then, only after some reporter sniffed out the story (which I'd submit would be fairly unlikely, because lets be honest; who gives a shit about Robert Allenby?) could he throw out his wild tale.

EDIT:  Note that I'm not disagreeing with you guys - the story that Troy Palamalu told actually seems perfectly reasonable- it's just that the spectacle he created would be the biggest question mark for me if that were the case.  Just a big, giant "What were you thinking?" moment.

This doesn't directly apply to Allenby because I have no idea what happened but I felt from day one the story was questionable.

People make up stories to save face.  Admitting you passed out drunk, smashed your face into the ground and got robbed while unconscious isn't a flattering story nor is leaving the bar with someone in hopes of some "extra-curricular" activity and getting robbed instead.  So they create a story that allows them to maintain their dignity but explains the bad bruises on their face that people will inquire about.  Once that hits, the police get involved and stories are told that the police are trained to detect inconsistencies.  Most people believe they can outthink the police but the chances are slim they can think quickly enough to cover all the bases.

So if Allenby was one of these people, it would have been suspicious if he didn't "seek justice", express outrage and address the story directly rather than leave immediately.  He may have also been asked to remain on the island by the police for further questioning.

Joe Paradiso

I think you're being a bit naïve in how you're presenting the circumstances.  Despite what your view is on alcohol, it appears to have little to do with what occurred.  If Allenby got into a bar brawl because he was intoxicated you could make your case but based on the details we have now, it doesn't appear to have been a major factor.

2 things :) 1. The cops apparently agree with the circumstances I've presented. ie great criminal minds don't go to those extents to steal a wallet 2. It would seem alcohol had a lot more to do with it than not You are right about the fact that something didn't add up about the story, but this guy just threw his credibility out the window for a very long time.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

This doesn't directly apply to Allenby because I have no idea what happened but I felt from day one the story was questionable.

People make up stories to save face.  Admitting you passed out drunk, smashed your face into the ground and got robbed while unconscious isn't a flattering story nor is leaving the bar with someone in hopes of some "extra-curricular" activity and getting robbed instead.  So they create a story that allows them to maintain their dignity but explains the bad bruises on their face that people will inquire about.  Once that hits, the police get involved and stories are told that the police are trained to detect inconsistencies.  Most people believe they can outthink the police but the chances are slim they can think quickly enough to cover all the bases.

So if Allenby was one of these people, it would have been suspicious if he didn't "seek justice", express outrage and address the story directly rather than leave immediately.  He may have also been asked to remain on the island by the police for further questioning.

Victimhood sells. Claiming to be a victim of something, or someone, or some circumstance or another is at epidemic proportions in today's world. Better to claim victimhood than to be viewed as a guy who hurt himself while falling to the ground in a drunken stupor. Like you said, though, his story was shaky from the get go and the police do not believe him.

I get that, don't disagree at all.

What I'm saying though, is you don't even have to admit you passed out drunk.  Quietly go back to your hotel, gather you things, go home, withdraw from Humana with an "illness" and wait out the bruises.  Nobody would ever know.

You can see from the photos that he wasn't bashed.

The guy saying he hit is head on a rock seems to be correct :-)

He must have hit his head on that rock quite a few times.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

"Surveillance videos reportedly shows an unknown individual purchasing more than $10,000 worth of goods at several stores with Allenby's credit card"?  How did anyone spend that much at "several stores" before the card was reported stolen?  He left the wine bar at about 11:00 pm and was apparently rolled a short time later...are liquor stores and Urban Outfitters open at that hour in HI?

I just noticed before I posted this that a new report claims witnesses have said that he was at a strip club and got drunk and fell on his face while trying to get a cab.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

People who have been bashed have bruises, not raw grazes like the ones Allenby got when he fell over and grazed himself.

Someone who has been "bashed" invariably has bruising about the eyes. This would be typical:

This is a long way from it:

BTW - Australia's most respected sporting journalist, Peter Fitzsimons, has essentially lampooned Allenby's version.

Here is his article.

Don't you know who he is? He is a famous golfer! And famous people don't tell porky pies. That's just what you anonymous people do.

Robert and I insist it happened just like he said: famous bloke is in a bar, minding his own business, gets his drink spiked because he's famous, and next thing he knows he's been kidnapped, and dumped in the boot of a car, and driven kilometres away, before being hurled on the pavement, all so they could simply take the dollars and credit card from his wallet!

Happens all the time! ALL THE TIME! And it is very serious and must be stopped, and that is why the FBI immediately started investigating it and ...

<i>Illustration: John Shakespeare</i>

Illustration: John Shakespeare

And OK, the FBI maybe didn't actually "investigate" in the strictly technical sense of the word, because they denied it straight away. We got that part mixed up and ...

And OK, maybe there was a homeless woman who said Rob was actually just found around the corner from the bar. But she is homeless and of little credibility and maybe just was paid to say that ...

And wait, the more Robert and I think about it, the more we realise that she is the HERO of the piece, because she single-handedly staved off the BADDIES, wouldn't leave his side and stared those bastards down. She saved his life, she did! And that is why Robert dug so deep from his $30 million winnings to give her $1000 and ...

And what, now more witnesses have come forward to say there was never any attack whatsoever, but in fact Robert Allenby was just so pissed he face-planted? Happens to the best of us and ...

And now more witnesses have come forward confirming what the first witnesses said?

Well get nicked! Don't you know who he is? Famous!

What actually happened? Don't know and don't care. I have filed it under "M" for "Malcolm Fraser's pants in Memphis stories."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

People who have been bashed have bruises, not raw grazes like the ones Allenby got when he fell over and grazed himself.

Someone who has been "bashed" invariably has bruising about the eyes. This would be typical:

This is a long way from it:

BTW - Australia's most respected sporting journalist, Peter Fitzsimons, has essentially lampooned Allenby's version.

Here is his article.

Don't you know who he is? He is a famous golfer! And famous people don't tell porky pies. That's just what you anonymous people do.

Robert and I insist it happened just like he said: famous bloke is in a bar, minding his own business, gets his drink spiked because he's famous, and next thing he knows he's been kidnapped, and dumped in the boot of a car, and driven kilometres away, before being hurled on the pavement, all so they could simply take the dollars and credit card from his wallet!

Happens all the time! ALL THE TIME! And it is very serious and must be stopped, and that is why the FBI immediately started investigating it and ...

Illustration: John Shakespeare

And OK, the FBI maybe didn't actually "investigate" in the strictly technical sense of the word, because they denied it straight away. We got that part mixed up and ...

And OK, maybe there was a homeless woman who said Rob was actually just found around the corner from the bar. But she is homeless and of little credibility and maybe just was paid to say that ...

And wait, the more Robert and I think about it, the more we realise that she is the HERO of the piece, because she single-handedly staved off the BADDIES, wouldn't leave his side and stared those bastards down. She saved his life, she did! And that is why Robert dug so deep from his $30 million winnings to give her $1000 and ...

And what, now more witnesses have come forward to say there was never any attack whatsoever, but in fact Robert Allenby was just so pissed he face-planted? Happens to the best of us and ...

And now more witnesses have come forward confirming what the first witnesses said?

Well get nicked! Don't you know who he is? Famous!

What actually happened? Don't know and don't care. I have filed it under "M" for "Malcolm Fraser's pants in Memphis stories."

That is funny!

But isn't "most respected sporting journalist" an oxymoron?

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

That is funny!

But isn't "most respected sporting journalist" an oxymoron?

Funny you should say that. I was just about to change it to "journalist", not "sporting journalist". He is also a highly regarded author.

Imagine having a reputation so bad that the moment it has been reported that you have been kidnapped, bashed and robbed, anyone who knows anything about you assumes IMMEDIATELY that what really happened is you got drunk, passed out and got robbed. And then witnesses emerge to confirm that notion. Must make you feel great.

Shorty you clearly need to give him a little more benefit of the doubt.. Put away that pitch fork! Oh wait.. What's that? He was at a strip club and the bouncer slammed his face of the ground? Wait, run this by me again? But he was only drinking like 1000 dollar cups of wine that barely get you drunk... Pro golfer getting sloppy? No way, not my hero.. I'm sure the truth will come out soon, don't judge me.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Note: This thread is 3165 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!