IGNORED

List the driver you see as the furthest and which driver as the most forgiving

denominator
Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know the two are not necessarily parallel. I currently game a ping g15 which I put in the fairway 7/10 times, with good distance. Gotta state that I tried some other clubs though, and I'm reading that the slide is the furthest. List which driver you see as being a) the furthest b) the most forgiving

There is no such thing as a driver that hits it further.

You might also consider not giving orders to people in your first post.

A "please" or "thankyou" goes a long way. :-)

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I know the two are not necessarily parallel. I currently game a ping g15 which I put in the fairway 7/10 times, with good distance. Gotta state that I tried some other clubs though, and I'm reading that the slide is the furthest. List which driver you see as being

a) the furthest

b) the most forgiving

From what I've seen, the new Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 Double Black Diamond and the smaller version of the Taylormade R15 have lit up the reviews as producing some pretty good distance numbers. The latter is seen as potentially more forgiving if one spreads the weights apart, but that comes at a loss of distance. I had the longest hit of my life on a simulator at Golfsmith with the 815DD, but also plenty of not good ones, so the lack of forgiveness came through in that small sample. Had more consistent results with the regular 815. But that's just for me. There's so many other clubs I haven't tried and what's longer or more forgiving for one person isn't so for the next.

This thread might perhaps be more appropriate in the clubs section.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is no such thing as a driver that hits it further. You might also consider not giving orders to people in your first post. A "please" or "thankyou" goes a long way. :-)

Uh, not trying to boss anyone. Please post your preference.

There is no such thing as a driver that hits it further.

You might also consider not giving orders to people in your first post.

A "please" or "thankyou" goes a long way. :-)

Sure there is.  One that is in the hands of Bubba Watson or Nicolas Colsaerts! :-)

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Sure there is.  One that is in the hands of Bubba Watson or Nicolas Colsaerts!  :-)

No. They still can't make a driver hit "further."

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I too like my old G15 driver.  I found it the the used club bin a few years ago for $75 but it looked like new.  Mine is a reg. flex shaft and a 9 degree loft.  Not sure it is the most accurate or longest driver I have ever owned but seems the "most comfortable" for me so have not been tempted to fork over $400 to $500 for a new one.  I probably wouldn't do that anyway I'd either wait for a sale or keep searching the used club bins.

Butch

No. They still can't make a driver hit "further."

Is this a pedantic point about grammar or just getting at the fact that today's drivers are for the most part very close in terms of distance they achieve because of the tight tolerances that they're building to?

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

I think it all boils down to comfort. No driver, by itself goes farther than another club, and no driver is any more accurate than another. The golfer himself controls distance and accuracy.

All my metal woods were built to my specs, using components. They are mongrels, not purebreds. Nothing high dollar about them. They are very comfortable for me to swing. I think the more comfortable a driver is to the end user, the faster that user will swing that club. The faster the club head impacts the ball, the farther the ball will "carry". Of course that same user still has to deal with that fine line of accuracy vs swing speed.

There was an article several year ago, where a well known club designer/maker built a bunch of drivers. He made two sets . One for distance, which was way less accurate, and one for better accuracy. He then had 25 golfers, with various degrees of skills hit both clubs. After two days he had the marketing information he was looking for. He then told the 25 golfers they could take home one club of their choice. 95% of the golfer chose to take home the less accurate, but more distance driver.

The best, big name, production driver I ever swung is no longer made. Actually it was 2 wood, but I used it as a driver. It was a Ping Eye 2 Wood. If you find one in a bin some where buy it. Even if it needs some repair work.. It won't become your new every day gamer, but I suspect most folks would enjoy playing it every so often.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Note this statement is about ball strikes on the sweetspot of the clubface. There is barely any difference in ball speed between clubs. USGA has limited the COR to be 0.830. Beauty of COR is it is the contact interaction with the ball and the face. Now can you find a golf ball that is a bit hotter than the ones used by the USGA to test, yes. Can you find a driver that is slightly above tolerance, yes. On average the clubs are all the same in terms of ball speed when struck on the sweet spot.

Knowing that what has changed in the past 10 years. Longer drivers, lighter drivers, turbulators, COG manipulation, adjustability. The first three are used to try to allow the golfer to physically swing the club faster. That has nothing to do with how hot the clubface is. The next two are for fitting to a particular ball flight to optimize launch conditions. Again nothing to do with ball speed.

So when you ask, which driver do you see as the furthest and most forgiving. The first part there is no right answer because it depends on the golfer. In terms of ball speed all the drivers are the same. In terms of getting that ball flight optimized to get the distance the longest is totally up to you as a golfer to find that golf club that gives you the best numbers.

In terms of forgiveness that is a big difference. Some drivers have a wider sweet spot so on average you would see longer distance. Really most drivers have pushed the MOI envelope pretty well. Some drivers like the original SLDR are not as forgiving. Other drivers like the Ping G-series are highly forgiving. Most drivers are built with a lot of forgiveness.

If you want to pick a driver, go try them out and see which one fits your swing the best.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Is this a pedantic point about grammar or just getting at the fact that today's drivers are for the most part very close in terms of distance they achieve because of the tight tolerances that they're building to?

The former, because I think that's what @Shorty was getting at in the post @boogielicious quoted. But yea, since you brought it up, the latter is valid, too. If there was one club that really outperformed all others in distance, all the pros would be playing it.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by dkolo

The former, because I think that's what @Shorty was getting at in the post @boogielicious quoted.

But yea, since you brought it up, the latter is valid, too. If there was one club that really outperformed all others in distance, all the pros would be playing it.

I was joking of course.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I was joking of course.

Yea, I forgot to insert a smiley :-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

Hands down... The Hammer Driver, POW!! haha. That guy had me laughing during the commercial. I thought that he was joking, till my roommate stated that he was an actual long drive champion.

Thanks guys for the responses. Was really just curious as to what your thoughts were on driver preference. I was tempted to buy a Callaway Big Berths over my G15, but I think it may be just advertising swaying my perception.

I know the two are not necessarily parallel. I currently game a ping g15 which I put in the fairway 7/10 times, with good distance. Gotta state that I tried some other clubs though, and I'm reading that the slide is the furthest. List which driver you see as being

a) the furthest

b) the most forgiving

All drivers out there are at the legal limit, so furthest is more about how the driver fits for your launch conditions. In terms of forgiveness, similar kind of thing but I would vote for the G30 or Big Bertha drivers.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

The G30 has the advantage of sounding like opening a beer can when you hit it. The ball goes far though. The Callaway has more of a traditional sound.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

No matter what anyone tells you....Even the reviews of "industry professionals" one of the most forgiving and furthest hitting drivers out there is actually two to three years old.  It was also not very advertised at the time because Taylormade was too in to putting out new clubs every half year.  That club is the R11S.  Crazy good driver.  In my opinion still the best Taylormade has produced!  Ive tried all of the new ones that come out and I personally believe that they have a "cheaper" feeling to them than the R11S.  If you have never hit one try to find someone with one a take a swing.  It's an incredible driver!  People who use it know it too which is why even used heads (just the head) of the driver still goes for over $100 off of ebay because people generally do not get rid of them!

Also, I think the FIRST RBZ 3 wood was the furthest 3 wood ever made as well.  I try all of them and the latest ones just don't have that crazy trampoline feeling like the RBZ.  These are just my opinions though....

Note: This thread is 1927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!