IGNORED

Pro V1 vs. Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
I normally play a Pro V1x. My driver swing speed is typically about 100 or 105, putting me right on the borderline. However, I typically hit the ball pretty high and with a good amount of spin, so the Pro V1x has been my ball for a long time.

I've got a lot of Pro V1s sitting around, so I decided to give them a try the other day. Here's what I found...

Overall, I didn't like the V1 much. The V1 ballooned a bit more than I'd like off of the driver, and the increased spin led to more curvature (left and right) than I'd like off of every club. I hit the ball higher than I'd like with every club in my bag, from the 3W off the fairway to the wedge. The V1 felt softer - or I was just hitting everything exceptionally crisp - than the V1x.

One place I liked the V1 over the V1x was in short shots around the green. The thing spun like crazy, as opposed to just "a whole lot" like the V1x. I actually sucked a few 30- to 50-yard shots back with my pitching wedge on a moderately firm course. The feel off the putter was a bit softer than the V1x.

FWIW, I played a B330 today and I'd put it between the V1 and the V1s, but quite a bit closer to the V1x. They're introducing that B330-S, which should be similar to the V1.

How about you? What are your experiences with the V1 and the V1x? Which do you play, and have you played the other? How do they compare?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pretty much the same as all of the above.My swing speed is about 115mph.

I like the X in all respects,and as much as anything i prefer a slighty louder sound - the "crack" when you hit your driver,not a "splumph" like the normal ProV !
The one shot that really bugs me with the X though is that 30 - 50 yard pitch where the normal ProV1 will take one bounce and then stop.With the X i just get the odd one that doesnt and runs on a bit.I cant be sure what its going to do/cant control it enough/strike it perfectly often enough.

Thats the only downside to this ball for me.

BTW - Does anyone using the NEW ProV1X think that the cover is not as resilient as the older version ? I seem to scuff the new one more i think.

10.5 deg Titleist 905T.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
TaylorMade 200 3wood.S-flex Graph-design purple ice.
19 deg Taylormade rescue-mid with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Callaway 3-PW X-16 Pro series with 6.0 Rifle flighted.
Cleveland 56+60RTG/Custom 34" Yes! Sophia/Pro-V1syershulver1@msn.co.uk

I personally think the V1 is the best ball ever made. Most of my best rounds are with the V1. The X feels like a rock to me. Off the driver it feels terrible to me. I haven't had my swing speed measured...

I tend to chip fairly "aggressively" around the greens so that extra spin is sorely needed for me. With a hard ball my short game shots all end up too long.

Off the putter the X literally makes a "tink" sound and feels extremely hard, like I'm putting a ceramic ball.

I do NOT hit the ball high. In fact I hit it fairly low. So I don't have a "balloon" problem with the V1.

Since I've hit the blackmax, HX Black and the B330 I have determined the V1 is a good 20-30 yards shorter for me. I recently played a "texas scramble" which is where you hit two tee shots. The 330 on one par 5 was literally 50 yards longer. I can switch to the harder balls in the middle of the summer when they seem to mush easier. Last summer I had a two week period with the HX Blacks where they were going way over 300. Two weeks then done.

But the length thing is not really that big of an issue for me, because I hit it fairly long anyway. I can bash a V1 280-310 normally.

I also find I can work a V1 much easier. Think about it... The less spin the ball has, the harder it will be to curve it.

I have two friends who exclusively play the X. One is a VERY high ball hitter and a long mofo as well. He gets that thing to compress better than me. The other player just hits it because he needs more length. He often grumbles around the greens when the x doesn't quite bite enough.

There's definitely a reason for the two ProV balls. They are very different.

• 4 months later...
...They're introducing that B330-S, which should be similar to the V1...

Just wondering how the B330-S turn out?

Also, since the ProV1x needs a higher swing speed to produce it capabilities, what is the desired swing speed?
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

As someone who has yet to break 80, I am probably not the target demographic for a premium-priced tour ball. But I "borrowed" a Pro V1 from my playing partner last year for a couple of tee shots and just loved the ball from the git go.

I hit it straighter and it certainly felt a tad softer than my bargain-priced Maxfli A3s which I still rotate with the V1 during rounds (water hazards and ravines tend to see the A3s). I don't spin the ball that much on my approach shots or even on the 100-yard wedge, and my driver swing speed tops out at about 97 mph.

So if the Pro V1 is more of an indulgence for me (and it truly is) the ProV1X would just be a flat out dumb move for my skill level and swing speed.
A Mixed Bag

Driver 320Ti, 10.5 R, stock graphite
Ovation 3W, Aldila 65R graphite
Dunlop DDH 5W Edge CFT Hybrid 3-iron, #3 graphite CFT irons 4 - E wedge, #3 graphite Apex Edge F wedge 60 degree LW Bobby Grace M5K putter Laddie X A3

• Administrator
Just wondering how the B330-S turn out?

About 100 MPH, but that's +/- 10 MPH depending on things like your angle of attack and launch angle.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've played just about all the balls mentioned here, and fwiw I prefer a ball that hasn't been mentioned!

HX Tour 56!

A Pro V1 would be my next choice, as others have mentioned the V1X just doesn't seem to spin as much as I'd like it to. I've found the HX 56 is sort of the best of both, loads of spin, but longer for me than a proV1. Oh, my swing speed is in the high 120's.

• Administrator
I've played just about all the balls mentioned here, and fwiw I prefer a ball that hasn't been mentioned!

Probably because the thread is called "Pro V1 vs. Pro V1x."

I find the V1 more suited for my game. The V1X left me feeling not as connected to the ball in my short game. I guess to be fair, I haven't played the V1X nearly as much as the V1 so it could be simply a matter of familiarity. My swing speed with the driver is 105.

• Administrator
That's important, too: never match a ball to your driver - start with your putter and the short game and work backwards.

I mention this in the science van article .

• 1 year later...
Been playing prov1x for the last 4 years so I dont even know what else is out there.. I will say I am intrigued to try the regular Prov1. My swing speed is about 100 tops. I often hear that will not compress the x enough. The x seems straight off the tee and not too rocky around the greens so ive stuck with it. could i possible get more distance from a regular prov1? the new ones supposedly spin less too?

ProV1 over the ProV1x right at this moment and the conditions. I notice the major differences more off the driver now. Open to interpretion.

Driver distance isn't as important to me as feel off the irons. I'll lose 5-7 or more yards off a crushed drive between the two, but the confidence I get off of the feel of an iron with the ProV1 over the V1x works psychologically for me....right now.

During softer conditions in Myrtle...at sea level...into windy conditions...how long the course is playing at the tips...I'll probably choose the ProV1x...and say a prayer that I par 16, 17, and 18 at Glen Dornach from the tips.

Just this once. :)

So you actually see a difference in distance, but the Prov1 is softer with irons. Does the Prov1 spin noticeably more than the X off the driver?

Also, you are saying I am not 'losing' distance by using the x since my swing speed is slower.

Im intrigued about the whole compression and if switching to a regular Prov1 is worth a try.

has anyone else with a slower swing speed seen a difference? thanks

So a box of proV1/x practice balls came yesterday from golfsmith, and when I saw this thread I decided I would test these two with my swing. I went to dicks and got a box of proV1/xouts, and then hit the local pro shop for a sleeve of pro v1's sleeve, of prov1x's, the new nxt extreme, and new nxt tour. Here's what I found out practicing with them. Pro V1's seemed to be the ball for me, I hit a 150yrd 8 iron (I haven't paid much attention to when I got on the simulators to club speed, ball speed, etc.), and found that the V1's were a little better than the practice balls, and the x-outs, the x-outs and practices performed the same, and the nxt tour was just behind. The V1x went consistently past all the other balls, but not enough to make me choose it over the V1. Then I noticed the x-outs and practices seemed to feel different in the hand (could they be the older model or just the cosmetic difference, some of the x-outs had weird goo on them). The nxt extreme went the same distance as the old nxt for me, or a little further, but not consistently. The nxt and extreme were the only ones that didnt leave wispy white pieces on my vokey SM. So I figure I will play the practices for most rounds, and when I feel good and think I have a great round in me I'll take out the pro V1's. Wow they felt crisp and soft when I hit them, but went far.

The X is the best :)

I love the V1 for high spin needs but the X is more usefull for most short game and long game situations.

MX500 9.5* S
Burrows Golf MAC Powersphere 3W
IDEA PRO Irons
Perfect Club 21*
IDEA PRO 3HSakamoto 54* X-tour 60* Newport 2 Pro Platinum Custom

• 1 year later...
I am confused on which ball to play? Is there certain SS that each one is designed for? Softer? Longer? I know, but am confused on what is what? Is there a total difference between the two? Thanks

Are they the best golf ball out there?

Driver- Nike Sasquatch 10.5/Aldila VS Proto ByYou
5 wood- Taylormade CGB Max Clone
3-PW- Nike Pro Combo Tour Clones
3 Hybrid (2i replacement)-Ben Hogan Edge CFT
Wedge- Vokey 56 degree Oil Can ClonePutter- Guerin Rife 2-Bar CloneBag- Cougar Hydro III Carry Bag

Note: This thread is 3532 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!