IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I only watch because Monday is the worst night for TV. If I am on the couch surfing and I see it I watch but usually forget about it. The golf part is okay I guess but the reality part can be trying. The "I can hit my 2 iron 270, can you?" and belly-aching about which way putts break gets old.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingdad View Post

I was trying to keep score, and then lost track/interest, but at the time that Justin had made his 4 birdies in a row, I believe that he was 5 under, while Richy was 3 under.  (I assumed a par for Justin and a double bogey for Richy on the hole where he conceded from just after his bunker shot.)

After that I know Justin made 2 or 3 bogies, and Richy at least birdied 17, so I'd guess they both shot somewhere in the vicinity of 68-70.

I'd say that's pretty danged respectable given the course and the stakes.

Well done boys.

I thought the same thing.  But it's easier to puke all over them rather than appreciate their abilities

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave2512

belly-aching about which way putts break gets old.

Yeah - we did comment on that a bit.  Justin had the monopoly of that particular personality quirk and it got old pretty quick.

Though on one green they had the same putt (line) - and it broke opposite for each guy (it broke for Justin, stayed straight for Richie - they missed on either side.

Bill - 

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the finale was pretty interesting.  Richy jumped out to a +2 lead then Justin won 4 holes in a row to take a +2 lead.  Richy caught up and won with some clutch putting and a great tee shot on 17.

The preview of their new show "Altered Course" doesn't look like something I'll be interested in but I'll give it a try.

I agree. Back and forth momentum swings right up to near the end. Good play by both - especially that chip (Richey) and putt (Justin) in the heavy rain. Good focus.

I thought the same thing.  But it's easier to puke all over them rather than appreciate their abilities

Yeah - we did comment on that a bit.  Justin had the monopoly of that particular personality quirk and it got old pretty quick.

Though on one green they had the same putt (line) - and it broke opposite for each guy (it broke for Justin, stayed straight for Richie - they missed on either side.

I wonder if that wasn't the difference. Richey seemed to just put his head down a bit more with the shot at hand and took the close misses for what they were. Justin seemed slightly (he hit many great shots under pressure & almost made that huge long putt) more thrown by the expectation that he 'should have' made some putts. His misses with the driver were probably the most costly.

Kevin

Quote:

Originally Posted by newtogolf

I guess I'm in the minority but I thought the finale was pretty interesting.  Richy jumped out to a +2 lead then Justin won 4 holes in a row to take a +2 lead.  Richy caught up and won with some clutch putting and a great tee shot on 17.

The preview of their new show "Altered Course" doesn't look like something I'll be interested in but I'll give it a try.

I agree. Back and forth momentum swings right up to near the end. Good play by both - especially that chip (Richey) and putt (Justin) in the heavy rain. Good focus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rehmwa

I wonder if that wasn't the difference. Richey seemed to just put his head down a bit more with the shot at hand and took the close misses for what they were. Justin seemed slightly (he hit many great shots under pressure & almost made that huge long putt) more thrown by the expectation that he 'should have' made some putts. His misses with the driver were probably the most costly.

I enjoyed the finale, but I can't say it was exactly thrilling. Justin had his chance when he went on a roll midway through the round, but like you guys said, Richy just kept grinding away without getting too shaken.

I think Richy and Robert have the best shots at moving their careers forward, but Robert has only played 2 events on PGA (Latin American) tour with no good finishes. Richy has done this:

He's steadily shooting under par in web.com events, with a T18 last week.

I think the season again shows how tight the competition is for a young golfer. Richy's pedigree stood out (with Robert) when you investigated each players' backgrounds. ... BUT the other guys played competitively with Richy and Robert. Most everyone else was a mini-tour player with some moderate success over the past few years, but not enough to make any of the tours so far in their careers. Clay, for example, seemed to have mostly stopped playing any tournament golf and was caddying for Cheyenne Woods in 2014 (season filmed in September 2014, I think). But he was right in it.

Most people could make reasonable arguments that any one of the guys near the end could have won it.  Yet only one of these guys is playing on web.com and doing quite well. That's Richy.  Was he head and shoulders above the rest of the players this season? From reading others' comments here and elsewhere, the consensus was that Richy was NOT someone they thought looked the best.

I just think it speaks to how competitive it is to just make it to the web.com tour. You need to make the most of your chances, and Richy did that in the web.com Q-school (and Big Break, I guess). Even a small difference in performance could have led to failure in either.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I enjoyed this season but I have had a fair amount of free time lately so if I were to go back and watch a whole season which should I go watch? For veteran Big break watchers

Richie proved he can play.........

I was impressed!   Excellent season of BB.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

I enjoyed the finale, but I can't say it was exactly thrilling. Justin had his chance when he went on a roll midway through the round, but like you guys said, Richy just kept grinding away without getting too shaken.

I think Richy and Robert have the best shots at moving their careers forward, but Robert has only played 2 events on PGA (Latin American) tour with no good finishes. Richy has done this:

He's steadily shooting under par in web.com events, with a T18 last week.

I think the season again shows how tight the competition is for a young golfer. Richy's pedigree stood out (with Robert) when you investigated each players' backgrounds. ... BUT the other guys played competitively with Richy and Robert. Most everyone else was a mini-tour player with some moderate success over the past few years, but not enough to make any of the tours so far in their careers. Clay, for example, seemed to have mostly stopped playing any tournament golf and was caddying for Cheyenne Woods in 2014 (season filmed in September 2014, I think). But he was right in it.

Most people could make reasonable arguments that any one of the guys near the end could have won it.  Yet only one of these guys is playing on web.com and doing quite well. That's Richy.  Was he head and shoulders above the rest of the players this season? From reading others' comments here and elsewhere, the consensus was that Richy was NOT someone they thought looked the best.

I just think it speaks to how competitive it is to just make it to the web.com tour. You need to make the most of your chances, and Richy did that in the web.com Q-school (and Big Break, I guess). Even a small difference in performance could have led to failure in either.

Also underscores the difference between 'real golf' and practice type skill challenges.

Kevin

I enjoyed this season but I have had a fair amount of free time lately so if I were to go back and watch a whole season which should I go watch? For veteran Big break watchers

I'd go back and watch the 1st one.  Then if I had free time, I'd go watch the 2nd one, then......

Depends on what you want?  do you want to see decent golf? a generally attractive groups of women candidates? or a bunch of whiney, bragging drama creators?  or just some weirdos.....

Pick one and then we'll advise you.

I'd likely refer you to the first one that Tommy Gainey was in, I think there was a good mix of all.  I think it was a coed season....

Bill - 

Nice job calling it, @RandallT !

Justin had his shot and then he just couldn't recoup after he made that mistake with his driver and his foot.

Solid season.  I enjoyed watching a good finale.  For the most part, I don't believe we've had that in a while.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'd go back and watch the 1st one.  Then if I had free time, I'd go watch the 2nd one, then......

Depends on what you want?  do you want to see decent golf? a generally attractive groups of women candidates? or a bunch of whiney, bragging drama creators?  or just some weirdos.....

Pick one and then we'll advise you.

I'd likely refer you to the first one that Tommy Gainey was in, I think there was a good mix of all.  I think it was a coed season....

Good summary of the BB casting bins. :-P They may do another sports stars special so that could add a category.

Kevin

• 2 months later...
Note: This thread is 3211 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!