IGNORED

Big Break Palm Beaches Discussion Thread

Slowcelica
Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

The top four went to a wildlife tour thingy, and the thought occurred to me… I wonder if they're given the chance to stick around and watch. Observing how other players do could be important in choosing partners, opponents, etc. in future rounds.

The players do seem to be the best they've ever had so far this year.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good players, some of the normal odd shots are not appearing like always.

The vet had a rough day.  But he got it together when it counted.

Bill - 

So I am sitting here watching Big Break for the first time and the older guy pops up. I am like man that guy looks familiar. Sure enough, Tommy Schaff and I have shared lunch together at the 2013 Metropolitan Open. As soon as I saw him I said that looks like the guy I ate lunch with two years ago. I pulled up the scores and sure as sh*t he was the guy. Rooting for him now.

The top four went to a wildlife tour thingy, and the thought occurred to me… I wonder if they're given the chance to stick around and watch. Observing how other players do could be important in choosing partners, opponents, etc. in future rounds.

The players do seem to be the best they've ever had so far this year.

From what I've heard/read, a lot of time is spent setting up and waiting for the camera crew and such. I would imagine it makes sense for these guys to want to watch it, but I wonder if the time it takes makes it too tedious. Or maybe it would be more beneficial to spend the hours practicing instead of watching the other guys? I don't know.

Loved the performance by Chad on the show last night. Nobody is going to want to pick him for elimination from now on. I worry about his length, though. On the long drive contest, he was significantly shorter than everybody else. His short game is clearly extremely good, but I wonder if it will be enough.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Tuned in for the first time last night, and it was right when one of the guys (Sorry, don't know his name) flew his driver 310. I was like WTH, that ball had barely any roll. I'm gonna give this season a shot.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Tuned in for the first time last night, and it was right when one of the guys (Sorry, don't know his name) flew his driver 310. I was like WTH, that ball had barely any roll. I'm gonna give this season a shot.

He did it twice - ball pretty much landed on the chalk line

Bill - 

Just caught up on last week's show, and I was struck by how classy the guys were in defeat. I am impressed with these guys overall, and they seem to have decent camaraderie.

Here's my updated tally on how they're doing. Spoiler in it for those who havent' caught up.

Had to give George negative points for those socks. Tyler was annoying people with his sound effects. Agreed. But those guys are definitely likable. Chad had some impressive moments that might scare people off a tad... but then again, these guys all seem pretty darn good.

Total

First Immunity

Later Immunity

IMPRESSIVE Challenge

BAD Challenge

Douchebaggery

Slid by without being picked

Guaranteed Elimination Round

Survived Elimination

Brandon

Chad

Clay

George

Justin

Kyle

Richy

Robert

Tommy

Tyler

Wesley

Zach

Point system not working very well, because I'd be shocked if they fear Tommy and Clay the most.  They're the only two so far that have earned immunity twice in the first chance.  Will see if after a few more episodes any players bubble to the top of this scoring system (I'm still picking Robert or Richy). Brandon had a good show, and he's looking better than I thought he was. He's trying to do the intimidation thing, although not as obnoxiously as Anthony last season.

Kyle and Tyler looking like next candidates for dismissal.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Just caught up on last week's show, and I was struck by how classy the guys were in defeat. I am impressed with these guys overall, and they seem to have decent camaraderie. Here's my updated tally on how they're doing. Spoiler in it for those who havent' caught up. [SPOILER=2nd episode scoring system results] Had to give George negative points for those socks. Tyler was annoying people with his sound effects. Agreed. But those guys are definitely likable. Chad had some impressive moments that might scare people off a tad... but then again, these guys all seem pretty darn good.

[CENTER]Total[/CENTER] [CENTER]First Immunity[/CENTER] [CENTER]Later Immunity[/CENTER] [CENTER]IMPRESSIVE Challenge[/CENTER] [CENTER]BAD Challenge[/CENTER] [CENTER]Douchebaggery[/CENTER] [CENTER]Slid by without being picked[/CENTER] [CENTER]Guaranteed Elimination Round[/CENTER] [CENTER]Survived Elimination[/CENTER]

[CENTER]2[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]-1[/CENTER] [CENTER]-0.5[/CENTER] [CENTER]0.75[/CENTER] [CENTER]-1[/CENTER] [CENTER]0.5[/CENTER]
Brandon [CENTER]3.75[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0
Chad [CENTER]3.50[/CENTER] 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER]
Clay [CENTER]4.00[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
[COLOR=FF0000]George[/COLOR] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]-1.50[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER]
Justin [CENTER]2.75[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0
Kyle [CENTER]-0.50[/CENTER] 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER]
Richy [CENTER]3.00[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 0 0
Robert [CENTER]2.75[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0
Tommy [CENTER]4.00[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Tyler [CENTER]1.00[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]2[/CENTER] 0 0
Wesley [CENTER]3.00[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] [CENTER]1[/CENTER] 0 0 0 0 0 0
[COLOR=FF0000]Zach[/COLOR] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]-1.50[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] 0 [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER] [CENTER] [COLOR=FF0000]1[/COLOR] [/CENTER]

Point system not working very well, because I'd be shocked if they fear Tommy and Clay the most.  They're the only two so far that have earned immunity twice in the first chance.  Will see if after a few more episodes any players bubble to the top of this scoring system (I'm still picking Robert or Richy). Brandon had a good show, and he's looking better than I thought he was. He's trying to do the intimidation thing, although not as obnoxiously as Anthony last season.

Kyle and Tyler looking like next candidates for dismissal.

[/SPOILER]

Yeah, kinda refreshing that they seemed to go away from the silly reality TV formula of getting different personalities, and instead simply got 12 really good professionals.

Yeah, kinda refreshing that they seemed to go away from the silly reality TV formula of getting different personalities, and instead simply got 12 really good professionals.

My thoughts exactly.  Though it has to be hard to not be a gracious loser when a wounded warrior with a prosthetic leg out plays you.

Chad is a beast under pressure.  His lack of distance may prevent him from winning but I'd think twice before calling him out given how the clutch shots he made.  That shot from the bunker was amazing given the circumstances.

Joe Paradiso

I watched this program first time recently. I was pulling for the fellow with one leg. That's very admirable and impressive to compete with a disability like that. Kudos to his future.

Chad is the nuts. I kind of felt bad for the Wesley brother that got eliminated in the last show because outside of deciding to go conservative and hit 3W, he really didn't have a bad show leading up to the elimination. But, hey, those are the breaks. I was surprised Chad didn't pick the older guy (I think his name is Tommy). He didn't really do well last show, IMO.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

His lack of distance may prevent him from winning ...

I don't like making definitive statements because you never know but, yeah, I think this is as close to a sure thing as there is on that show.  Obviously, they can manipulate it if they really want to but as soon as it gets to the point where they are playing long holes or doing long drive contests, he is at a massive disadvantage.

If my math was right, I think the one he crushed on the last hole of the elimination challenge was still under 260 yards.  That will catch up to him eventually.

Tommy is a really good playe Outside of the show.

Yeah, I figured there were some dynamics to who Chad selected that were outside the show that we're not privy to.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Two highlights for me from this week's episode:

1. Chad eliminating the third challenger in two days.  I can't blame people for taking him to elimination for obvious reasons.  One, his leg.  Two, he is the "newest" to the game and didn't play college, mini tours, etc. as far as I know. Three, his length.  But I'll be damned if this dude is just a monster when the bell rings.  An absolute animal when he's on the clock with a very strong mental game I believe.  I doubt that anyone will be taking him to elimination challenge for at least 2 weeks.

2. Tyler's impression of Brandon during a one-on-one, with the voice, "I'm striking the ball so well today," is the biggest laugh I've had for any Big Break season so far.  I mean he hit the nasally voice spot-on. This includes Anthony's antics/delusions from last season.

On a similar note, does anyone else notice that Tyler's one-on-ones are a little excessive?  Seems like they are playing his clips every two minutes, and not giving a ton of words to the other players.

• Upvote 1

Two highlights for me from this week's episode:

1. Chad eliminating the third challenger in two days.  I can't blame people for taking him to elimination for obvious reasons.  One, his leg.  Two, he is the "newest" to the game and didn't play college, mini tours, etc. as far as I know. Three, his length.  But I'll be damned if this dude is just a monster when the bell rings.  An absolute animal when he's on the clock with a very strong mental game I believe.  I doubt that anyone will be taking him to elimination challenge for at least 2 weeks.

2. Tyler's impression of Brandon during a one-on-one, with the voice, "I'm striking the ball so well today," is the biggest laugh I've had for any Big Break season so far.  I mean he hit the nasally voice spot-on. This includes Anthony's antics/delusions from last season.

On a similar note, does anyone else notice that Tyler's one-on-ones are a little excessive?  Seems like they are playing his clips every two minutes, and not giving a ton of words to the other players.

Agree.  Just want to point out, though, that Chad was the automatic qualifier this week - nobody chose him for elimination.  If it was known what the elimination challenge was going to be, then I think that anytime distance was a factor, you would have to pick him.  But it seems it's never known ahead of time exactly what challenge lies ahead, and thus, I would agree that he's probably saved himself from being chosen for a couple of weeks at least.

Tyler is very entertaining - I like him. :beer:

Note: This thread is 3185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!