IGNORED

What advice would you give Tiger?

rcarat
Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Every time he changes his swing his short game suffers although I've never seen it this bad. I think he needs to play more and just keep working at it. I got a feeling he's not been practicing as much the last few weeks since he's been traveling with Vonn to where ever she was skiing the last couple weeks.

Agree....I just get the sense he's not practicing much at all. At least I hope he's not.....if he's been practicing non-stop and that's his short game , he should just retire now. I'd feel more comfortable if he came out and said "I really haven't practiced on my short game." It would explain things some. Some of those chips were things shots I've seen from Charles Barkley or Bill Murray.

Hard to say as an outsider but it just seems golf isn't as important to him as it once was.  His short game is embarrassing and I'm kind of shocked that he didn't withdraw from the Phoenix Open if he's been struggling with it since November.

Maybe the injuries and swing changes have worn him down or the realization that breaking Jacks record isn't as realistic as it was 5 years ago.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would tell him that he should switch to kick x balls then locate some Corey Pavin PRG irons and put some Winn grips on them stat. Like Butch says "they are lighter so you will swing faster "

I'm going to focus on his profession.

"Practice and play more golf"

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I would tell him that he should switch to kick x balls then locate some Corey Pavin PRG irons and put some Winn grips on them stat. Like Butch says "they are lighter so you will swing faster "

Haney has a blueprint that can save Tiger 3, 5, or "10 strokes or more."

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

First of all, he is full of shit as has pretty much been usual for the past several years, while the fanboys lap it up waiting for the return of their hero armed with his latest swing:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/12236940/tiger-woods-says-driving-ball-far-was-15-years-ago

Several thousands of chips, and it is better now? It actually looked just as bad as it did in December, maybe worse. I'm sure it was better in his backyard. Just like all the other previous technical wonder cure 'processes' look good out of competition.  It's not the number of repetitions, and its not all the technical BS that the heads on the golf channel spew and Woods spews in the interviews and to himself. We have all seen him stripe each club on the range, and heard the stories about how well he hits it out of competition.

He can't admit that he has lost it upstairs. This is the same reason he would crash on the weekends in recent majors; pressure. Until he admits the reason he is doing so poorly is not because of a club angle or whatever, he will continue to have problems. The poor form is a result of the mental problems, and more reps and 'processes' won't fix that.

He's got his personal press secretary Notah Begay on TGC preaching waiting 'for the process' lol. The 'process' is a soap opera, starring an impatient arrogant primadonna who can't look in the mirror and is always searching for the reason he can't win. TW is the reason he can't win. All of this parade of swing gurus that have the new technical fix for something that can't be fixed is a sad joke. Mix in the ***** media who jams it down our throats, to the ultimate detriment to the sport going forward, and it's nothing but a clown show.

Finally, starting off 2015 in that zoo was an arrogant mistake. I guess he thought the 'process' was far enough along that he could walk in there under that spotlight and perform. He should have started off somewhere like Sony where the spotlight wouldn't be as bright as it is at this tourney on Super Bowl weekend. But, it's just the 'process' you see, an inhuman switch that is imprevious to pressure. Right.

Going forward, I see that John Daly has a show on TGC Monday about chipping and the short game. TW should tune in. He should also start playing PM's Tuesday money games to work on his game under pressure. Also, maybe he should listen to Gary Player. As soon as Rory dumped his star athlete GF and stopped flying around the world seeing her instead of working on his game, he went back to number one. It would also save TW time in the dentist's office lol.

• Upvote 1

Unsolicited advice from Rocco Mediate on Feherty:

• 5 minutes w/Mediate, swing problems solved
  • Dump Como, see Trevino

http://www.golfchannel.com/media/feherty-live-rocco-talks-tigers-golf-swing/

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It looks like the only problem he is having is not accelerating through his chips.

Driver: Titleist 910d2

Irons: Mizuno MP4s kbs tour shafts

Vokey Wedges 50 54 & 58

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback

Balls: Pro v1x 

This thread kills me!!!  Where do I start?  First of all it seems that the same crowd who puts the pro game so far above ours and puts these guys on a pedestal that the mortal golfer will never achieve are now calling for his retirement because be becomes mortal.  Really?!?!

Second, Tiger, give your buddy Notah a few grand to beat the $hit out Chamblee and that other asshat on the Golf Channel.  I never understood the hatred for Chamblee before yesterday.

Third,  Anyone who has gone through a rebuild knows the deal.  It is just that Tiger's blow up is on the telly!  Every play a terrible round after a lesson?  Oh and get Nike to send over some wedges with a bit different grind.

Finally.  He is just barely returning from back surgery.  I don't care who you are but if they open up your back your body mechanics will change.  There may be no pain but it takes time for the muscles and neuro pathways to get rebuilt.  Not easy. Not fun.

So give the guy a break he is pushing 40 and merely showing he is mortal.  If you have not crossed that threshold you will and believe me you will understand things take a little longer. From peeing to biomechanics to rehabbing from an injury to recovering from a hangover.  All takes a little longer,

I will bet even money that by the end of the year he will have his head back in the game and will stick it up our collective rear ends as well as those Golf Channel douchebags.

• Upvote 3

First of all, he is full of shit as has pretty much been usual for the past several years, while the fanboys lap it up waiting for the return of their hero armed with his latest swing: [URL=http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/12236940/tiger-woods-says-driving-ball-far-was-15-years-ago]http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/12236940/tiger-woods-says-driving-ball-far-was-15-years-ago[/URL] Several thousands of chips, and it is better now? It actually looked just as bad as it did in December, maybe worse. I'm sure it was better in his backyard. Just like all the other previous technical wonder cure 'processes' look good out of competition.  It's not the number of repetitions, and its not all the technical BS that the heads on the golf channel spew and Woods spews in the interviews and to himself. We have all seen him stripe each club on the range, and heard the stories about how well he hits it out of competition.  He can't admit that he has lost it upstairs. This is the same reason he would crash on the weekends in recent majors; pressure. Until he admits the reason he is doing so poorly is not because of a club angle or whatever, he will continue to have problems. The poor form is a result of the mental problems, and more reps and 'processes' won't fix that.  He's got his personal press secretary Notah Begay on TGC preaching waiting 'for the process' lol. The 'process' is a soap opera, starring an impatient arrogant primadonna who can't look in the mirror and is always searching for the reason he can't win. TW is the reason he can't win. All of this parade of swing gurus that have the new technical fix for something that can't be fixed is a sad joke. Mix in the ***** media who jams it down our throats, to the ultimate detriment to the sport going forward, and it's nothing but a clown show.   Finally, starting off 2015 in that zoo was an arrogant mistake. I guess he thought the 'process' was far enough along that he could walk in there under that spotlight and perform. He should have started off somewhere like Sony where the spotlight wouldn't be as bright as it is at this tourney on Super Bowl weekend. But, it's just the 'process' you see, an inhuman switch that is imprevious to pressure. Right.  Going forward, I see that John Daly has a show on TGC Monday about chipping and the short game. TW should tune in. He should also start playing PM's Tuesday money games to work on his game under pressure. Also, maybe he should listen to Gary Player. As soon as Rory dumped his star athlete GF and stopped flying around the world seeing her instead of working on his game, he went back to number one. It would also save TW time in the dentist's office lol.

Damn dude, THAT is a hot sports opinion. Well done.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Finally.  He is just barely returning from back surgery.  I don't care who you are but if they open up your back your body mechanics will change.  There may be no pain but it takes time for the muscles and neuro pathways to get rebuilt.  Not easy. Not fun.

Your mechanics shouldn't change much, if any, in your short game. That's just a lack of practice, IMO. He performed exactly how I expected swing-wise. After back surgery it's going to take time, and if his short game wasn't so bad, he probably finishes the same as Phil. But the short game the last two days were downright....shocking. Just shocking to me. It's as if he didn't pick up a wedge in 6 months....and I hope he didn't, because if he's actually practiced on his short game the last 6 months and that's the result? Yikes. I think desire is a big question as well right now as well.

The key question in my mind is, does Tiger struggle around the green as much in practice rounds as he does during tournaments?  If it's just a lack of practice we should see improvement as the season progresses.  If it's mental, it could be a long season for him.

Joe Paradiso

Your mechanics shouldn't change much, if any, in your short game. That's just a lack of practice, IMO. He performed exactly how I expected swing-wise. After back surgery it's going to take time, and if his short game wasn't so bad, he probably finishes the same as Phil. But the short game the last two days were downright....shocking. Just shocking to me. It's as if he didn't pick up a wedge in 6 months....and I hope he didn't, because if he's actually practiced on his short game the last 6 months and that's the result? Yikes. I think desire is a big question as well right now as well.

Well, if he didn't pick up a wedge the last 6 months then he lied in the ESPN article I linked to. It seems the shank out of the bunker on Wednesday into the crowd may not have been on purpose.

In fairness to TW, I can't imagine being that intense for 30+ years, to be the best in the world, and then start to wear out physically and mentally from being under the spotlight for so long. I can't imagine being that disciplined in a sport like golf that is so much mental for that long, pushed to be the best from the time you could walk. I would imagine there is some truth in your last sentence, laziness (tired of it all) with other interests, expecting his past skill will come to the rescue as always. When it doesn't, it just starts snowballing with pressing and yips.

Well, if he didn't pick up a wedge the last 6 months then he lied in the ESPN article I linked to. It seems the shank out of the bunker on Wednesday into the crowd may not have been on purpose.

In fairness to TW, I can't imagine being that intense for 30+ years, to be the best in the world, and then start to wear out physically and mentally from being under the spotlight for so long. I can't imagine being that disciplined in a sport like golf that is so much mental for that long, pushed to be the best from the time you could walk. I would imagine there is some truth in your last sentence, laziness (tired of it all) with other interests, expecting his past skill will come to the rescue as always. When it doesn't, it just starts snowballing with pressing and yips.

I think it all starts with the short game. You can get away with bad shots if you can scramble around the green. When you look back at Tiger coming back from long layoffs in the past, he's struggled with rust but managed to contend and win tournaments because he was the best short game player on Tour. Tiger literally threw away 7-10 shots this past weekend with simple shots around the green that he normally pars with his eyes closed. I'm sure he's worked on his short game the last 6 months, but I doubt he's put heavy duty time into it, and until he starts doing that and putting the long, grinding hours he used to do, he's going to struggle.

I really think he is suffering from the same problem Rory had a year ago....I don't think his head is fully into golf right now. I have no proof of that, it's just an inference on my part. With time, it might be, but right now I just don't see that determined look in his eyes. Like I said, I love seeing him joke around, but I miss the Tiger who used to come off and be PO'd at a round like that and ignore the media because he was angry or used to tell reporters "I'm going to work and work and fix this until it's right." You didn't get that yesterday.

I don't know....we'll see what happens. In the meantime, I'm enjoying watching Rory play just like Tiger used to.

Tennis is fun..... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Oh, definitely retire.  Who knows better than him that when you are at the low point of a swing change and regaining health that the way you pay in your first event completely determines how the future course of your career will go.  This is 1998, 2004, and 2012 talk all over again.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!