IGNORED

The Tiger Woods Retirement Thread

iacas
Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think what some mean when they say Tiger won't win again is really just they don't want him to win again. Some of the things mentioned in this thread indicating his premature demise are silly.

• Upvote 2

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, not silly. I believe he will win again just not 7 or 8. GOAT notwithstanding, he is nowhere near the greatest out there now. He's better than his rank of 100 or so but I think there are too many ahead of him for him to get to 83. He cannot practice as he once did. If he does, his body will break down. He's fighting a losing battle I believe but time will tell.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

He was good enough to be paired with the #1 ranked player in the world on Masters Sunday.

The reality is we have no idea what he will or won't accomplish until he's done. Until then my money is on him being near or at the top of the OWGR again and winning tournaments. He's just 39. Is he an old 39 maybe but guys are out there winning after 40. People talk about Jimmy Walker and Henrik Stenson like they were freshly minted yesterday at 36 and 39. Phil has won 5x after age 39, two were majors. IMO too early to count Tiger out of anything.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Yep, understand but he wilted in the 4th round.

So did Rory in 2011. And that poor guy just never recovered.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

So did Rory in 2011. And that poor guy just never recovered.

Again, hear ya, time will tell but based on a lot of things chiefly health, but also how the younger stars view him, i.e., no intimidation whatsoever, I just don't see him getting past 80 wins. Will be interesting to see if he can and if he does, I'll still be around so do your worst. But if he doesn't? Mmmm.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Again, hear ya, time will tell but based on a lot of things chiefly health, but also how the younger stars view him, i.e., no intimidation whatsoever, I just don't see him getting past 80 wins. Will be interesting to see if he can and if he does, I'll still be around so do your worst. But if he doesn't? Mmmm.

He's at 79. You don't think he wins ever ever or just not twice? I mean, no one's afraid of Furyk, and his old ass just won.

• Upvote 2

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Tiger will get 4 more victories, I think Jack's record is safe, unless Tiger has a 40s awakening (which he could), Jack will hold the Watermark at 18 majors... I would like to see him win at least ONE more major... He's only 39 hell that's only eleven years older than me...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

No, not silly. I believe he will win again just not 7 or 8. GOAT notwithstanding, he is nowhere near the greatest out there now. He's better than his rank of 100 or so but I think there are too many ahead of him for him to get to 83.

He cannot practice as he once did. If he does, his body will break down. He's fighting a losing battle I believe but time will tell.

It is silly.  What you said in this post isn't, but what you said in the previous post was not the same thing.  In your previous post, you claimed it was because he shot a 73 on Sunday at the Masters.

" he wilted in the 4th round. That's when I saw he was essentially finished being a consistent winner on tour."

Incidentally, a score better than Jason Day, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, and Charl Schwartzel all shot that same Sunday.

• Upvote 1

It is silly.  What you said in this post isn't, but what you said in the previous post was not the same thing.  In your previous post, you claimed it was because he shot a 73 on Sunday at the Masters. "[COLOR=181818]he wilted in the 4th round. That's when I saw he was essentially finished being a consistent winner on tour."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Incidentally, a score better than Jason Day, Adam Scott, Bubba Watson, and Charl Schwartzel all shot that same Sunday.[/COLOR]

Not silly. That round is where I came to this conclusion. He is simply not going to be able to overcome the youth that is there right now, for the variety of reasons I've outlined.

Oops, I thought he was at 75 so he needed 7 to tie 8 to break. Shoulda done some hw there. But, I've given him 2 more, that's still 1 shy so I'll stick to that.[quote name="onthehunt526" url="/t/79927/the-tiger-woods-retirement-thread/320_40#post_1133884"]Tiger will get 4 more victories, I think Jack's record is safe, unless Tiger has a 40s awakening (which he could), Jack will hold the Watermark at 18 majors... I would like to see him win at least ONE more major... He's only 39 hell that's only eleven years older than me...[/quote] [quote name="dkolo" url="/t/79927/the-tiger-woods-retirement-thread/320_40#post_1133877"]He's at 79. You don't think he wins ever ever or just not twice? I mean, no one's afraid of Furyk, and his old ass just won.  [/quote]

I don't think will retire of his own choosing. but rather because of health issues. He now has a recovering back, that for those of us that have had something similar, we can readily attest that the body is now on Def-con alert. He swings so hard at times, that it's surprising he didn't re-injure himself at the Masters. I thought for sure he broke his wrist, on that one swing when he hit the tree root and I'm sure that the back didn't appreciate it either. I offered an opinion on another thread, in relation to his swing and suggested that perhaps it was time to re-evaluate his swing by powering down and using different equipment, suitable for that swing.

Hate crowned cups.

• 2 weeks later...

...  I think there is 0% chance of him retiring in the next 10 years.  However, I put the odds at 100% that Lindsey is gone by year end.  There are a lot of blue-eyed blonds out there who would love a ride in a G5, or whatever Tiger is flying these days.

That break-up was a mortal lock.  It was the break-up, death and taxes in that order.  Didn't think it would happen this fast though.

Occam's razor

That break-up was a mortal lock.  It was the break-up, death and taxes in that order.  Didn't think it would happen this fast though.

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

You called it!  Nice job!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

You called it!  Nice job!

Hi Eyad!!

We need to get together for a round soon.  Access to Rolling Hills is a nightmare, but maybe we could meet up in Bahrain or Dubai.  Or I could make the road trip to Riyadh.

Occam's razor

Hi Eyad!!

We need to get together for a round soon.  Access to Rolling Hills is a nightmare, but maybe we could meet up in Bahrain or Dubai.  Or I could make the road trip to Riyadh.

For sure!  I'm going on vacation in a couple of weeks back to Mass, and will be back right about the beginning of Ramadan.. Let's think about something right after Ramadan?  I might go to a training in Bahrain or Dubai, but that is a long shot as of right now.
You are more than welcome to come to Riyadh, we would play at Nova Resort and the round is on me. :dance:

Since you were spot on with when Tiger will breakup, what about when he will retire.. any timeline for that?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I don't think he will announce a retirement for several more years. He still believes he can win. And I doubt he regards Rory, Jordan, and other top tier players as superior to him. I am virtually certain he still wants to win the 5 majors he needs to pass Jack. For these reasons I do not think he will retire. But he should, because I would take "under" on the over-under for him winning two more professional tour events. He's basically finished as a winning tour player. He's older than his years, not only because of his very significant list of injuries, but because of his very long career of high level competitive golf. He has been traveling and competing at a national-or-better level since his early teens. As we could see by his breakdown in 2009, that takes a mental toll on you. And he will be 40 in December, which is really the twilight decade of _any_ golfer, let alone one with Tiger's injury history and career length. It's hard to stay hungry and do what you need to do to win into your 40s....and his family situation makes it even harder to do so. He has the yips. No, he hasn't cured them, because nobody really cures them. They may not be so bad as to prevent him from winning again, but they are just one more thing that can go wrong. His golf game is a mess. He was always the leader or near leader in strokes gained on tour, but dropped precipitously in this stat between 2013 and 2014 thru this year. Even if everything were ok with his body and mine, he is again attempting to change his swing, and every time he has done this in the past, there has been at least some period where he plays mediocre until he clicks with the new method. At 39, the time is more precious, and this again becomes another obstacle for him. Much was made of his Masters performance. It was smoke and mirrors. He drove it poorly and would have likely missed the cut driving that way at the U.S. Open or PGA. I think he certainly could get it all together one more time and win a tour event. But I don't see him doing it more than once or twice. Could one of those be a major? Yes....but in the end, I think whenever he is contention from this point forward, there will always be someone better and hungrier battling him.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

I don't think he will announce a retirement for several more years. He still believes he can win. And I doubt he regards Rory, Jordan, and other top tier players as superior to him. I am virtually certain he still wants to win the 5 majors he needs to pass Jack. For these reasons I do not think he will retire. But he should, because I would take "under" on the over-under for him winning two more professional tour events. He's basically finished as a winning tour player. He's older than his years, not only because of his very significant list of injuries, but because of his very long career of high level competitive golf. He has been traveling and competing at a national-or-better level since his early teens. As we could see by his breakdown in 2009, that takes a mental toll on you. And he will be 40 in December, which is really the twilight decade of _any_ golfer, let alone one with Tiger's injury history and career length. It's hard to stay hungry and do what you need to do to win into your 40s....and his family situation makes it even harder to do so. He has the yips. No, he hasn't cured them, because nobody really cures them. They may not be so bad as to prevent him from winning again, but they are just one more thing that can go wrong. His golf game is a mess. He was always the leader or near leader in strokes gained on tour, but dropped precipitously in this stat between 2013 and 2014 thru this year. Even if everything were ok with his body and mine, he is again attempting to change his swing, and every time he has done this in the past, there has been at least some period where he plays mediocre until he clicks with the new method. At 39, the time is more precious, and this again becomes another obstacle for him. Much was made of his Masters performance. It was smoke and mirrors. He drove it poorly and would have likely missed the cut driving that way at the U.S. Open or PGA. I think he certainly could get it all together one more time and win a tour event. But I don't see him doing it more than once or twice. Could one of those be a major? Yes....but in the end, I think whenever he is contention from this point forward, there will always be someone better and hungrier battling him.

If you don't get over the yips what would you call his short game performance at the masters?

Tiger's Retirement ... it's only a matter of time.

I think what is worth discussing is the effect of his retirement on the game. When Jordan left the NBA, it lived on and thrives.

I think the depth of field is greater now, hopefully with more personalities with whom people can identify, and the game will thrive.

Heck, Tiger seems semi-retired now, and the game lives on.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3271 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!