IGNORED

What device do you use to keep score?

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 members have voted

1. 1. What device to you use to keep score?

• Pencil. Ultimate flexiblity
    • Phone app. Works great for me.
    • Mechanical counter: Cheap, click once, get total strokes for a round.
    • Specialized Electronic Device. Keep score and stats with minimal delay on course.
    • Wristwatch Type Counter. Always handy, never miss a stroke.
    • Something Else. Please describe in the comments.

A pencil and scorecard.  I also track it on a phone app.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Something else. I always keep score in my head, an old habit that I can't break (and don't really want to). No practice rounds, I always know what I'm shooting---

I don't like to keep score on a scorecard in matches with my friends. I'll play whatever they want to play as long as they keep score (always with a scorecard so far).

When I was younger, my regular golf buddies didn't like keeping the scorecard any more than I did, we played "high score on the first hole keeps score". Lots of pressure, maybe as competitive a hole as any we would play all day.

I guess I got in the habit of always using a scorecard when I first started carrying a handicap and every score was required to be attested to and the card returned.  When online posting became available, the necessity for returning a card went away, but I just prefer doing it that way.  When I'm keeping just my own score on my home course, I will fill a card with a half dozen rounds before I discard it.  I'll take a fresh card if I'm scoring for the whole group.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I put my scorecard into a leather scorecard holder to keep it from falling apart in the hot summer months.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

When I'm keeping just my own score on my home course, I will fill a card with a half dozen rounds before I discard it.  I'll take a fresh card if I'm scoring for the whole group.

My too.

I try to reuse the same score card for at least 5 rounds. Helps me to see my current trends for each hole.

I also use a small leather score card holder so the cards do not get too wrinkled.

Since I joined a country club, I print my own scorecards on stockpaper.  I customize the scorecard with stats I want to keep, I can get 8 score cards, front and back on the 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.  Once I'm done with a round I key the stat's into Skycaddie.  If I play at a course other than mine, I just use the score card and keep my own score and stats.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I bought these prayer beads I attached to my cart. Every stroke, I pull one down.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

neurons, lead (well, graphite now a days), and pulp.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

I find a nice card in the waste bin prior to the round and just keep the score already pre-printed on it.  If you look hard enough you can sometimes find a really good score.

Then I go have fun.

Bill - 

Just a pencil and scorecard.  I have made mistakes at times entering a score on the wrong hole on the card.  I have also mis-counted (like Brian Williams mis-remembering?) my strokes on a few occasions which were typically on complete blow-up holes with multiple penalties (e.g. counting a cool 10 instead of the actual 11).  However the miscounts are rare and usually corrected immediately without any real impact on match play or my handicap thanks to ESC.

I am looking for something I can just touch once to count a stroke or a putt...

What is your experience with these kinds of devices?

True story...

Years ago, I caddied for a nice lady in her late 50's who was just beginning to golf. She walked out to the first tee with a rope and beads attached to her belt.

I asked, "Mrs. M., what is this new attire you are wearing?"

"Last time I played I kept losing count of my strokes, so every time I take a stroke now, I just pull down a bead," she replied.

Silly me said, "Oh, don't worry about keeping score today. I'll do that for you."

As we strode down the 18th fairway, the score kept going higher and higher, "154, 155, 156....."

Approaching the caddie master's desk I asked her, "Are you paying by the stroke today?"

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Old school, pencil and a scorecard.

Though I have been known to just go out and shoot a round and then calculate the score when I get home. I never had any trouble remembering every shot I hit after the round is over.

+1

A pencil.

If the time comes when I can't remember how many time I hit the ball after each hole, it'll be time to take up checkers on the porch.

+ 100

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

+ 100

I'm actually not sure what stat you wouldn't be able to track with a scorecard and pencil.  Assuming there's something like 8 rows for 8 players, I just use the top for my score, then fairways, GIRs, putts, etc.

I'm with you Dave.  Not only can I remember my score, but I can remember what everyone else in the group has as well.

Me too.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I use a golf app and record the score but also FIR, GIR, chips, putts and penalties and an estimation (within 5-10 yds) of my tee off distance (including par 3s). The app auto-enters up-and-downs. It takes me less than 10 seconds per hole and I usually enter the information for several holes at a time (2-3-4), for example when I am walking down a fairway or waiting on a tee box... I have no trouble remembering all my strokes either (on courses I know well), so I could do it after the round, but it's never been an issue during the round.  FYI, I export the scorecard to a .csv file and feed it into a database that I developed, from which I can extract all kinds of reports, with graphs, etc...

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

I'm actually not sure what stat you wouldn't be able to track with a scorecard and pencil.  Assuming there's something like 8 rows for 8 players, I just use the top for my score, then fairways, GIRs, putts, etc.

Very true. Not much cannot be done with pencil and scorecard

Best regards,  Frank

:titleist: 913 D2 10.5*

:titleist: 913 F 17*

:titleist: 913 H 21*

:titleist: 716 AP1 4-P

:vokey:  SM5 50*, 54*, 58*

:odyssey: Tank Cruiser #7

:sunmountain: C-130

I use a phone app, Mscorecard, to log scores and stats. Though  GPS ability is available, reasonably accurate, and battery efficient, I prefer to get ranges by laser. Not that my club gaps or distance consistency is beyond the apps capability! :whistle:

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

+1, then enter it in a app.

Note: This thread is 3357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!