IGNORED

"Changing the picture" with a driver?

Big C
Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A lot of my swing improvements over the past few months can be attributed to changing the way that I practice. At the behest of some fine instructors on this site, I no longer go to the range and pound away at bucket after bucket. Instead, I typically buy a small bucket (28 balls) and work on changing my swing position by position and inch by inch. I'll start with 1/4 swings, move on to 1/2 swings, etc. - with an emphasis on retraining my body on what proper positions feel like. In any given bucket, it is still rare that I will hit more than a handful of full swing shots.

My problem now is that I realized that I have no idea how to practice with a driver. I haven't made any noticeable improvements in my woods in years. And while I certainly have days where I'm bombing it straight off the tee, I think a lot of that has to do with good timing on that particular day. It's rare that I'll go more than 2 rounds without having major driver or 3W issues.

So I guess my question is, how do you change the picture with a driver or fairway wood? Does anyone here take partial swings with those clubs, or is there some other secret to practicing the distance clubs that I am missing?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do take half swings with my woods on the range to get the feel of the "release" timing, but not quite there yet. I've gotten a few good strikes with my woods over hundreds of bad ones.

Anyway, let me know when you find out. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'd think that your new practice routine would apply equally as well to the driver. Make the 1/4 swings and build up from there, exactly as you do with the rest of your full swing practice. The major difference is in the set-up (ball forward).

@mvmac has a vid eo somewhere on the site (sorry, can't find it at the moment) of him hitting 1/2 swing drives that all draw. Seems to me like a good example to copy.

Chris.:roll:

I'd think that your new practice routine would apply equally as well to the driver. Make the 1/4 swings and build up from there, exactly as you do with the rest of your full swing practice. The major difference is in the set-up (ball forward).

@mvmac has a video somewhere on the site (sorry, can't find it at the moment) of him hitting 1/2 swing drives that all draw. Seems to me like a good example to copy.

I think it's this one.

@Big C , yes you can certainly practice with partial swings with the driver and/or hit "chip" drivers. Just depends on what you're working on. You can obviously rehearse your piece with your driver without hitting a ball. For myself, the slow/partial/drill swings I do with my irons tends to "bleed" into my driver swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

For myself, the slow/partial/drill swings I do with my irons tends to "bleed" into my driver swing.

Same here, working on my irons helps my driver swing.

There are times where I'll specifically work on my piece with the driver, because the setup changes things a little bit and because the stuff I'm working on is magnified with the driver, so I get better feedback. I remember reading a long time ago about how Tiger Woods loved to do slow motion work with the driver and hit perfect shots 100 yards or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:
I think it's this one.

Yeah, that's it. I find it helps greatly with ball contact too - getting the marks to center more on the club face.

@Big C

One thing you should do.

Video your Driver swing and analyze the positions which you feel work well for you.

Then compare the good swing to others which didn't seem right.

Then post either your video and or snapshots of both, maybe Mike or Eric will offer their advice.

Keep in mind, drivers are the longest clubs. A very slight move / position can make a world of difference.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Guys thanks for the advice. I did some work with "half" driver swings, and while it felt a bit strange initially, I noticed some immediate improvements in my path and takeaway. I'll keep working at it, as well as review the drill linked within.

Guys thanks for the advice. I did some work with "half" driver swings, and while it felt a bit strange initially, I noticed some immediate improvements in my path and takeaway. I'll keep working at it, as well as review the drill linked within.

Glad it helped!!

• 3 months later...

I think it's this one.

@Big C, yes you can certainly practice with partial swings with the driver and/or hit "chip" drivers. Just depends on what you're working on. You can obviously rehearse your piece with your driver without hitting a ball. For myself, the slow/partial/drill swings I do with my irons tends to "bleed" into my driver swing.

@mvmac Bringing this back from the dead because this is what I am currently doing to improve my driver. Is there a way to do this without going to the range and hitting balls and seeing the ball flight? I'd like to work on this everyday but cannot go to the range but once or twice a week, I have a home hitting area that consists of a mat and net that I use to practice my other swing changes. I'm doing this to get my path more in to out and the club face square. Is there a drill I can do like this that I can do into a net?

@mvmac Bringing this back from the dead because this is what I am currently doing to improve my driver. Is there a way to do this without going to the range and hitting balls and seeing the ball flight? I'd like to work on this everyday but cannot go to the range but once or twice a week, I have a home hitting area that consists of a mat and net that I use to practice my other swing changes. I'm doing this to get my path more in to out and the club face square. Is there a drill I can do like this that I can do into a net?

So you can't tee it up?

Mike McLoughlin

So you can't tee it up?

Yes I can tee it up, I have a monster mat that I can put normal tees in. I was more or less talking about with this particular drill, I am looking to "chip" the ball close the face enough and shift the path to the right enough to cause the ball to draw or go straight. Is there a variation that I can do in my backyard where I won't need to see the ball flight to see if the face and path were correct to fix my slice?

@mvmac Bringing this back from the dead because this is what I am currently doing to improve my driver. Is there a way to do this without going to the range and hitting balls and seeing the ball flight? I'd like to work on this everyday but cannot go to the range but once or twice a week, I have a home hitting area that consists of a mat and net that I use to practice my other swing changes. I'm doing this to get my path more in to out and the club face square. Is there a drill I can do like this that I can do into a net?

[quote name="mvmac" url="/t/80178/changing-the-picture-with-a-driver/0_100#post_1150354"] So you can't tee it up? [/quote]Not to intrude, but you can always get one of those white rubber driving range tees and cut it to the length you want with an exacto knife.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not to intrude, but you can always get one of those white rubber driving range tees and cut it to the length you want with an exacto knife.

No intrusion, I also have those too.

The issue I have is that I cannot see the ball flight to see if I am drawing the ball or if it is still fading.

The issue I have is that I cannot see the ball flight to see if I am drawing the ball or if it is still fading.

If you work on the drill and make it look more like the right pic than the left pic (raising the handle) then the ball will likely draw. Again you're just making 3/4 "chippy" swings minimizing the rate the clubhead overtakes the hands. The goal is to change the picture.

Mike McLoughlin

If you work on the drill and make it look more like the right pic than the left pic (raising the handle) then the ball will likely draw. Again you're just making 3/4 "chippy" swings minimizing the rate the clubhead overtakes the hands. The goal is to change the picture.

Thanks for the help I'll give this a shot and practice trying to get into this position, I would say I am definitely the left pic right now.

Thanks for the help I'll give this a shot and practice trying to get into this position, I would say I am definitely the left pic right now.

And also want to point out that it's a drill to exaggerate a feel/position. You don't want it looking like that when you're hitting a full speed driver.

Mike McLoughlin

For myself, the slow/partial/drill swings I do with my irons tends to "bleed" into my driver swing.

I just asked the question to my instructor about if I should work on the 1/2 and 1/4 swings with a driver since he thinks it's the most important club.  Since adopting this way of practicing I have only focused on hitting irons, short ones at that.  I have Arccos and the club most often used (less the putter) according to the software is without a doubt my driver.  It is the longest, lightest club with the least amount of loft.  It is the club that is the hardest to control and the most critical to control.  I think we all should probably use our driver in practice much more.

I WISH my work with short clubs bled into my driver swing!

Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!