IGNORED

Pete's Programme (Single Digit to Tour Player)

Nosevi
Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well done for a good year Pete :beer: . I've just got a decent mat too form Verde Sports, wish I had your field/ garden to go with it! I'll be shopping for a new house soon and pitching area is one of my priorities :)

Every house needs one. Happy hunting :-) [quote name="utrinqueparatus" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/330#post_1196271"]Pete, greetings I have been fascinated by your postings that I have read over the past few months. Your commitment to the cause is inspiring. Keep the good work going. I have noticed from numerous postings that strength, power, fitness is an area that you are working on as part of your overall plan. If you like I could suggest a program that has assisted me in keeping as near to the power that I had having passed Pre Parachute Selection (P COMPANY) thirty plus years ago. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned you had been RAF Reg so you know what I am talking about even if the septics on here do not!! Most of it is based around body weight exercises, the use of TRX straps and that old favourite a bicycle. I do not necessarily want to get into an in-depth discussion using this means but should you be interested would be happy to put forward some ideas and thoughts that have assisted me. To give you an idea I am 1 stone heavier than when I passed P Coy at age 21. That 1 stone is muscle not blubber. Happy to chat should you want. All the best. [/quote] Sounds good to me. Yep I know a little about P Coy, we had a Para on my JROC (Junior Regiment Officers' Course) and 2 Sqn RAF Regiment (the Para Sqn of the RAF Regiment) used to do P Coy I believe, could be wrong on that one though. I'm categorically NOT only 1 stone heavier than when I was on JROC and none of it is muscle - a few years sitting in front of a radar screen (I was re-branch Air Traffic after an injury) will do that to you........ Actually that's merely an excuse. And I know it. I'm in a little better shape than when I started, which is not much of an accolade, and lost about 21 pounds in year 1. I got a little less utterly unfit (rather than fitter) and want to accelerate that this year. I think a course to prep me for P Coy may be a little hard core for year 2 given my current physique but it's the sort I thing I'll be looking at in year 3 but perhaps there are aspects I can incorporate this year? I'll drop you a PM so we can chat off thread :-)

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Pete, greetings I have been fascinated by your postings that I have read over the past few months. Your commitment to the cause is inspiring. Keep the good work going. I have noticed from numerous postings that strength, power, fitness is an area that you are working on as part of your overall plan. If you like I could suggest a program that has assisted me in keeping as near to the power that I had having passed Pre Parachute Selection (P COMPANY) thirty plus years ago. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned you had been RAF Reg so you know what I am talking about even if the septics here do not!! Most of it is based around body weight exercises, the use of TRX straps and that old favourite a bicycle. I do not necessarily want to get into an in-depth discussion using this means but should you be interested would be happy to put forward some ideas and thoughts that have assisted me. To give you an idea I am 1 stone heavier than when I passed P Coy at age 21. That 1 stone is muscle not blubber. Happy to chat should you want. All the best.

I don't there are any of these posting in this thread :-D, nor any "skeptics". Unless, there is a cultural difference where asking any questions might be deemed as controversial?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[quote name="utrinqueparatus" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/324#post_1196271"]Pete, greetings I have been fascinated by your postings that I have read over the past few months. Your commitment to the cause is inspiring. Keep the good work going. I have noticed from numerous postings that strength, power, fitness is an area that you are working on as part of your overall plan. If you like I could suggest a program that has assisted me in keeping as near to the power that I had having passed Pre Parachute Selection (P COMPANY) thirty plus years ago. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned you had been RAF Reg so you know what I am talking about even if the septics here do not!! Most of it is based around body weight exercises, the use of TRX straps and that old favourite a bicycle. I do not necessarily want to get into an in-depth discussion using this means but should you be interested would be happy to put forward some ideas and thoughts that have assisted me. To give you an idea I am 1 stone heavier than when I passed P Coy at age 21. That 1 stone is muscle not blubber. Happy to chat should you want. All the best.

I don't there are any of these posting in this thread :-D, nor any "skeptics". Unless, there is a cultural difference where asking any questions might be deemed as controversial?[/quote] I think our friend is from south of me, down in 'the smoke'. Septic is cockney rhyming slang for an American. It's a term of endearment, I'm sure no offense was intended :-) Edited as unfortunately I hadn't fully read the link I posted. Not how or why the phrase is used!

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by utrinqueparatus

Pete, greetings

I have been fascinated by your postings that I have read over the past few months. Your commitment to the cause is inspiring. Keep the good work going. I have noticed from numerous postings that strength, power, fitness is an area that you are working on as part of your overall plan. If you like I could suggest a program that has assisted me in keeping as near to the power that I had having passed Pre Parachute Selection (P COMPANY) thirty plus years ago. I noticed in one of your earlier posts that you mentioned you had been RAF Reg so you know what I am talking about even if the septics here do not!! Most of it is based around body weight exercises, the use of TRX straps and that old favourite a bicycle. I do not necessarily want to get into an in-depth discussion using this means but should you be interested would be happy to put forward some ideas and thoughts that have assisted me. To give you an idea I am 1 stone heavier than when I passed P Coy at age 21. That 1 stone is muscle not blubber. Happy to chat should you want. All the best.

I don't there are any of these posting in this thread , nor any "skeptics". Unless, there is a cultural difference where asking any questions might be deemed as controversial?

I think our friend is from south of me, down in 'the smoke'.

Septic is cockney rhyming slang for an American.

It's a term of endearment, I'm sure no offense was intended

Edited as unfortunately I hadn't fully read the link I posted. Not how or why the phrase is used!

I understand now. Here it means "infected" or loosely a "septic tank" which is used to store raw sewage in the absence of a sewer pipe. I wouldn't have thought of it as a term that is endearing to Americans. :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/342#post_1196340"]   [QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/330#post_1196320"]   I think our friend is from south of me, down in 'the smoke'. Septic is cockney rhyming slang for an American. It's a term of endearment, I'm sure no offense was intended :-) Edited as unfortunately I hadn't fully read the link I posted. Not how or why the phrase is used![/QUOTE] I understand now. Here it means "infected" or loosely a "septic tank" which is used to store raw sewage in the absence of a sewer pipe. I wouldn't have thought of it as a term that is endearing to Americans. :-D

Perhaps "term of endearment" should have been in inverted commas....... I'm not going to get into trying to defend what someone else writes on a forum other than to say, having worked with the paras more than once, an ex-para cockney would probably call his mates something far worse. I wouldn't take it to heart :-)

Pete Iveson

Well, I can see I wore out my welcome in this thread with some of your key supporters. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I suspect you've got the wrong end of the stick Lihu, I'm sure you've seen a few Guy Ritchie films and have heard of Cockney Rhyming slang, but anyway:

Apples = Apples and pears = Stairs

Barney = Barney rubble = Trouble

Septic = Septic Tank = Yank

I think he was talking about RAF Regiment and UK military terms, so not much chance of any others from across the pond understanding. Cockneys talk in code, it's even hard for me and I only live 200 miles from them :surrender: . I know you aren't all from the USA or whether you guys think us calling USA guys yank's is bad, but we see it the same as you guys calling us brits etc (not a problem at all).

Either that or he really does think you are all Skeptic's (and miss spelt it) or even Septic and he just doesn't like you lot :bugout: .

Chris 

Ex-field hockey player with a few things on my list to correct/ sort out:
1:  Flipping, 2: Overswing, 3: Stop being Tin Cup

Been playing properly since May 2014, got the bug now, so I'm here forever. Must have watched a billion hours of youtube videos, seems to help!

Well, I can see I wore out my welcome in this thread with some of your key supporters. . .

As Chris above says, Lihu I think you're taking it the wrong way. All he was saying was that as ex- RAF Regiment I'd have probably heard of P Company, the training course for the Parachute Regiment, so could envisage the intensity of the physical training he was refering to. He was just saying that he doubted the Americans on the forum had and used cockney rhyming slang rather than saying Americans. Read it again and simply substitute that word with "Americans". It was in no way aimed at you, in fact it wasn't 'aimed' at anyone, it was just a term that's been used down in London since about the 1940s I'd guess. Like I said, it's not my job to defend what someone else writes on a thread even if I started the thread (acually the mods started this one but anyway......). I didn't say it, it's not a term you'd hear outside London as far as I know and certainly not up in Lincolnshire where I live. If you were made to feel unwelcome that's a pity and I hope it wasn't by me. There are a few brits following the thread which I guess makes sense but the majority of guys following it seem to be from across your side of the Atlantic. I don't see it as a 'them and us' type thread in any way, besides I wouldn't know if I was 'them' or 'us' - I grew up in North Carolina and have lived in Washington DC and on the west coast of Florida as well as a few places in the UK. As a result many of my closest friends are Anerican. Anyway, I feel this is all a little off topic and I know Erik and the mods don't like that. Please drop me a PM if you'd like to chat about the pros and cons of cockney rhyming slang, always happy to chat :-) for now though it's just gone 5am so time for me to get at it - quick cup of tea then a bit of fitness work.

Pete Iveson

Spent the morning practising short game with a guy called Sam Whitaker, just basically chipping and putting around the green. Good fun and chatted about all things golf. We spent quite a bit of time chatting about the shots he choses to play given different situations and it was really interesting to hear how he makes decisions based on the situation. It culminated in a short game match play comp in which I blew an early lead and got beaten in the end. Still felt like I learned a lot as Sam's a pretty useful player - currently sitting at 358 in the World Amateur Golf Ranking, he's at number 22 in England. Really useful practice session overall.

Pete Iveson

Great stuff Pete!! All the best in year 2. Would you mind sharing some info on your discussion with Sam about short game.

Thanks and no problem. It was sparked when we were playing a bit of a short game matchplay comp around the practice green - you choose a position and pin, you each try to get up and down, if you win you keep the 'honour' and pick the next location and pin, lose and the other guy gets the honour and picks. It's something I do with all the guys I practice with. It keeps practice interesting, competative and acts as a good test to show which shots I need to work on the most. Anyway, I had the honour and picked a relatively simple but quite long chip and run. I chipped it, Sam stepped up and putted from the fringe. He asked why I had chipped it given it was a closely mown fringe and I said it was to take the variable that was the fringe out of it. He pointed out that any variation in distance of the putt I was likely to see due to the fringe would be less than the variation I would likely see from a poor chip. Although I'm pretty good at chipping the possible outcomes range from a duff to a thin, misreading how much the fringe would effect the ball would give a far smaller variation. As we went round it was clear he was choosing the easiest shot to play for each situation. It's not that he couldn't play a more difficult shot (when one shot was out of rough to a close pin on a slight downslope he pitched it perfectly onto the fringe to take the speed off) but his shot selection was always for the simplest, lowest tariff shot. It's actually something I've noticed with all the good players I practice with - I've played with Brian and watched him simply punch a ball a few yards onto a fairway when he was blocked out and under some low hanging brances and yet seen an 18 handicapper attempt a low skidding hook around a tree, avoiding low branches to try to thread it between two bunkers guarding a narrow green. They then took goodness knows how many to get down from there having hit said tree and lost the ball as it ricocheted deep into the woods then duffed the next attempted wonder shot, thinned the next into one of the bunkers ....... etc. Pretty sure they could have executed the 4 yard punch out sidways option and just lost a shot due to the poor drive rather than how ever many they lost in the end. It's amazing how often skilled players seem to pick the simple shot and less able golfers pick the high tariff, 'miracle if it comes off' option. With Sam you could see that reflected in his short game - he had the skills to take on all sorts of shots yet routinely picked the simplest, lowest risk route. Just to pretty much round off the week, Brian's back from Russia and the Tour Division of Ping had a couple of new clubs for him to try. Must be nice to have kit thrown at you rather than having to buy it :-) Anyway we spent a couple of hours in the sim for him to try them out and look at a few things he's working on prior to his next tournament in a week - European Tour Q School. He was in Russia as a Challenge Tour player as the event was undersubscribed (no clue why more didn't fancy Russia :-) ) so it's his chance to step up to the European Tour full time. Interesting session but did mean I had to put in an evening session for me to get my practice in. No complaints, am learning loads from him being around.

Pete Iveson

Thanks Pete, I was just wondering what are the few things Brian is working on before his tournament? Thanks,

Hi there. As well as getting accurate yardages for the new clubs he was working on 2 things really. The first was something he works on quite often and that's a slight tendency to get his hands a little deep on the backswing. Using high speed video in the sim is great for working on this sort of thing as you can see the resultant ball flight as well as the swing when you view the video back, something you won't be able to do on a standard range. So you can make small changes and see how that effects the ball flight when you compare videos. Screenshot from a vid taken yesterday: The second thing was working on taking some spin off the ball. In Russia the greens had been good but soft and he was finding he was getting loads of zip back firing into the greens. While it looks impressive it's not ideal especially to a flag at the back of the green. His Qualifying School is up in Scotland and they're expecting rain pretty much every day on the run up to the tournament but possibly not during it so he's expecting greens to be soft. He was really practising a lot of slightly choked down (only a fraction), smoother shots using one more club than he would normally use for a specific yardage so he could carry the ball a given distance without anything like as much spin. As well as having the numbers from the launch monitor you can set the sim with soft greens and 'play' with spin numbers to get different action on the ball as it hits the green.

Pete Iveson

Thanks, so when his "hands get deep on the backswing" what does that do to his ball flight? what kind of miss does he get with that?

The opposite to me when I do it for some reason. When I get a bit trapped I try to recover it with my hands and get a hook, when Brian does it he doesn't have that attempt to square the club face up to compensate and blocks it right. Same fault but his miss is right, mine is left. Absolutely no clue why I attempt to recover the shot with my hands and he doesn't, maybe someone can enlighten me :-)

Pete Iveson

The opposite to me when I do it for some reason. When I get a bit trapped I try to recover it with my hands and get a hook, when Brian does it he doesn't have that attempt to square the club face up to compensate and blocks it right. Same fault but his miss is right, mine is left. Absolutely no clue why I attempt to recover the shot with my hands and he doesn't, maybe someone can enlighten me

Thanks, thanks really interesting.

I would also like to know why that is.

[QUOTE name="Nosevi" url="/t/80287/petes-programme-single-digit-to-tour-player/342#post_1198514"] The opposite to me when I do it for some reason. When I get a bit trapped I try to recover it with my hands and get a hook, when Brian does it he doesn't have that attempt to square the club face up to compensate and blocks it right. Same fault but his miss is right, mine is left. Absolutely no clue why I attempt to recover the shot with my hands and he doesn't, maybe someone can enlighten me :-) [/QUOTE] Thanks, thanks really interesting. I would also like to know why that is.

I understand that both shots are caused by us being forced to come from too far inside, the bit I don't understand is why I react to that by trying to square the club face anyway whereas Brian's release isn't really changed. Could be a function of how we each release the golf club (his is more body driven, mine is a little more arms although I'm rotating more than I used to) or maybe I just feel the club is behind me more as I'm less flexible, and so I try to do something about it. No idea really :-)

Pete Iveson

Thanks Pete, that's a good insight. Key is simplest and lowest risk shot. Also for someone like me it's what I am comfortable with and confident of executing. Eg. Bump and run is my strength for short game vs pitch shots.

Note: This thread is 2892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!