IGNORED

Drop zone as GUR?

Note: This thread is 2308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw only a few moments of the final hole of recent Senior Tour Ace Tourney but did see  CMontgomerie play ball he had just hit over water and obviously onto/into/next to the stands behind the green.  Monty was about the play the next shot and TV guy said 'Monty got relief from the Drop zone', which was only 3 feet away, near the stands, and marked with white line.

If TV guy correct, Colin's ball had laid in the Drop zone next to the Temp Immov Obstruction and Colin wanted relief and he got it.  Why would a ball in the Drop Zone get relief ?  Abundant divots, thus GUR, is the only reason i can think of but i also know the rules do not consider divots abnormal ground.

Could be that Monty's ball was not in the Drop Zone but next to the stands, near the Drop Zone, and Monty did get relief from the stands.  Result,  poor TV commentary offering us incorrect information.  Might have been only guesswork by TV guys needing to blab.

Could be that Monty's ball was not in the Drop Zone but next to the stands, near the Drop Zone, and Monty did get relief from the stands.  Result,  poor TV commentary offering us incorrect information.  Might have been only guesswork by TV guys needing to blab.

The only commentator that seems to know something about the rules is Jerry Foltz. When you hear one of them refer to the person with whom a player is drawn as a "Playing Partner," or "Playing Competitor" which most of them do, you know their rules knowledge is minimal. The U.S. open telecasts are great because they have a rules person in the broadcast booth.

Note: This thread is 2308 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.