IGNORED

Does Anyone Still Use "Old" Clubs on a Regular Basis?

WedgeHead
Note: This thread is 820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

If I were to go back and play any of my old irons it might well be the 845s. They were some seriously good irons IMO.

cubdog

FWIW, they're going for about $40 on ebay.

I just ditched my Ping Zings for the LEGENDARY Ping Eye 2's. As we all know, they are the greatest irons ever made. Agree with this, or face the wrath of Famousdavis. ;-)

Seriously though, I've always wanted Eye 2's, and now I can't wait to get out and try them. I may even get a copper set one day.

• Upvote 3

- Disc Golfer

FWIW, they're going for about $40 on ebay.

I just ditched my Ping Zings for the LEGENDARY Ping Eye 2's. As we all know, they are the greatest irons ever made. Agree with this, or face the wrath of Famousdavis.

Seriously though, I've always wanted Eye 2's, and now I can't wait to get out and try them. I may even get a copper set one day.

Sad to see the 845s fall to just $40. :cry:

Good luck with the new Pings.

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This year I'm starting with a set of Maxfli Revolution black dot irons (1999), bent 1 degree strong in loft and stock lie. I reshafted them over the winter with TrueTemper Multi-Step lite shafts (the same ones as in the a7's). Seem to come out with the same yardages as the Adams irons. It's nice having a real 3 and 4 iron in the bag again. :-)

I'm keeping either the 2H or the 3H in the bag (the hybrids seem to be 5-10 yards longer than the respective Maxfli irons; we'll see if that changes as I get used to the irons).

Bob E.

Dallas, TX

• 1 month later...
I just found a set of Wilson staff ultra 45s 3-sw on the side of the road. They are from the early 90's. They are in great shape. I'm thinkingf of putting them in the bag. Anyone used/use these irons? I guess they were a pretty good iron in their day, and john daly won a major (pga I think) with them in 93. They have a nice look and feel to them at address. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

wilson fluid feel blades in my bag,circa mid 80's,they are things of beauty in great cond.... everything else is pretty new but my irons are forever

Exactly.

but that I play a Zing putter from back then too.

This ain't no Party, this ain't no Disco...

I just bought a set of cleveland CG 1 full blade's i know there 10 years old great clubs but i have set of mcgregors RD's that i would be playing but they need reshaffting as they was cut down when i was a kid but i would still play them now

• 4 years later...

Well I just dug out my PGA Ryder Cup blades from the 70's along with the Vardon Cup Woods 1,3,4,5 the set cost me a hundred bucks, big money for a 21 year old kid. I remember the feeling of hitting a ball flush and the flight, a beautiful thing! Cleaned the irons and grooves, which are in great shape. Have Lamkin grips on them, also cleaned up. Will leave the woods alone.  I am excited to hit a few and get that pure feeling again, hope that will happen. Looking at them brings back memories of playing in my youth. Time passes quickly, don't waste a minute.

• iacas changed the title to Does Anyone Still Use "Old" Clubs on a Regular Basis?
  • 9 months later...

I have two full sets of Hogan Edge irons. One set is in pristine condition with original grips, admired, never played. The other set is serviceable with new Lamkin midsize grips that I squeezed on myself. Everyone should have a go at re-gripping their own clubs if for no other reason than to appreciate your club pro’s ability!

My favourite Hogan iron is the wedge identified by an “E” on its sole. Mr Hogan called his wedge the great “Equalizer” and darned if it isn’t just that. Works best if you say aloud “time to call the Equalizer” for those who remember the original TV series.

What bugs me somewhat is that I find quality of play is reduced when switching between the older Edge’s and my newer G410’s. Even allowing for the stronger lofts of today’s irons my scoring initially suffers after swapping one set for t’other. My playing partners all agree that I should just “park” the Hogans.

Not likely, because as we all know there’s nothing like striking a ball with a forged iron bang on the middle of its face!

Have two different sets and carry the driver and maybe putter back and forth summer and winter. Most are well over ten years old and work for me. Driver is only a couple of years old, even it is new to me.

Driver - Ping 410+ 12°, Fairway -TM Burner 5W, Hybrid - 3&4 TM Rescue dual, Irons -  Mizuno MX200 5-G, SW - Callaway X Tour, Putter - Odyssey 1W Versa

This past season, I was having some 'strike' issues with my Hogan Black Blades. So I went back to my Hogan Edge GS Ft. Worth set from around 1993((ish?). Still a smaller head, but with plenty of forgiveness. Traditional lofts as well. Had them regripped- probably the 3rd time, but at least 10 years on the old ones since I've had other sets in the interim. They are in excellent condition with no rust and a few little spots of pitting. 

I loved my original Edge's from 1989 that I won during a charity event, and played those for several years until they were stolen. I found the newer set in my Dad's bag that he picked up at an estate sale. I asked what he paid for them- "$50". Okay, I told him "I'll give you $50 AND my current set for these". He obliged since he was nearing the end of his golf "career" due to age and health issues. 

After he passed, I went through his collection of clubs and found a set of TaylorMade Technicians in great shape as well. Along with some off brand stuff and 'clones' along with the set of Wilson's I had traded him for the GS's. Most went off to Goodwill, but I kept the Technicians and his assortment of hickory shafted clubs including one of the Hagen Spoon Sand Wedges and a a few from clubmakers in St. Andrews.

Only used the Technicians once or twice just for a giggle to prove to my buddies I could beat them with anything. 

2 or 3 years ago, I found a pristine set (2i-sw) of Ping original Eye irons (not Eye2) at Play It Again Sports.  They had original shafts and grips, and looked as if they'd never been used.  They were in a barrel out on the sidewalk with all the no-names and clones, with a price of only $39 dollars for the set.  I bought them, and put on some new Lamkin grips (the grips were over 40 years old, after all).

The lofts are a lot weaker (pw=51*), but the weaker lofts combined with the ZZ-Lite stock shafts (a bit stiffer than regular flex) seems to work ok for even a slower swinger like me (I'm 73).  I take them out every now and then for "retro" days (along with a Ping Tisi-Tec driver and original O-Blade brass putter).  Do I play better with them than my Cobra F9 single-lengths?  Not really.  But I don't play worse, and shoot about the same scores.  At my age, I no longer compete and don't even carry an official handicap.  I can't play as I did in my 40s, but every now and then, it's fun to get out and play with the clubs I played in my 40s.

• Like 1

I'm still gaming 4-PW,SW from the hand-me-down clubs when I originally started, 91 Lynx Parallax. (They  ever had a GW back then 10* of loft difference between the 2)

I'm kind of annoyed because it seems like the 2024 groove rule is still going ahead for all rounds played so I might be retiring them for competitive rounds in a few years.

Edited by cutchemist42

• 1 month later...

I play mp-33 regularly and just 'upgraded' to MX23, so , yes. I play old clubs.

I figure that they were very well regarded and good quality in their day, and so long as they still have life in them, I'll play them.

I am on a tight budget and cant afford newer/better clubs.

1 hour ago, SupaPro7 said:

I am on a tight budget and cant afford newer/better clubs.

Just my opinion, but I believe others would agree Newer doesn't always equal Better. 

Having said that, I do like shiny things. 

I have a set of Ping ISI K irons and the ISI Titanium driver to go with it. Every then and again I like to pull those out of the closet and play them. If you count clubs from 1998 as old, then yeah, but they are not my every day gamers. I will say this, the ISI K irons are about a club shorter than my current gamers, but I'm not sure I score any differently than I do with my current sticks. The only difference is I hit 7 iron where today I hit 8 iron, but my misses are no better or worse. 

The driver on the other hand... Big difference. With the ISI titanium driver my best drives aren't as good as my best drives with my current driver. AND my worst drives with the ISI are a lot worse than my worst drives with my current driver. 

Oh, one other thing. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Maybe somebody can tell me. I guy, whom seemed to know what he was talking about, told me that my ISI K irons are illegal now. He said the grooves are no longer conforming. Does anyone know if that's true? 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

A set of Titleist Tour Models from 1982/3, a set of Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades from 1984-86, PING Eye 2s from late 80s, Nike Pro Combos and PING S59s from 2003, MacGregor MT Pro CMs from 2008. Wilson Staff FyBrid 2009, Titleist 907 D1 2007-8, Titleist 983E 2004, Titleist 906 F2 2006, Cobra Baffler DWS 2006, Heavenwood hybrid 2005-09?, Nike SQ Dymo 2009, and a bunch of wedges from 2011 and earlier. Scotty Cameron Circa 62 2008, PING Anser @ 1980, Wilson Staff Tour Special Forged?, Srixon P-514 2009. They all get played at one point or another.

Edited by max power

I'll play my old early 90's Yonex ADX Tours. Best feeling forgings I have ever hit. First clubs I ever saw with really good gapping on the short end. 3-10 iron. + P & SW.  Old school lofts, thin top line, great looking clubs. But I was in my early 30's in the early 90's....... Shafts are too stiff for me now days.

I also like to hit the old Wilson Titanium Killer Whale, also from the early 90's. It was my favorite hammer back in the day, and I will still hit it on courses that require working the ball a lot these days.

My white hot Rossie putter is probably 15 years old at this point, and it’s always in the bag.  Here and there I’ll break out the MP 32s and the Ping G15 driver… still great clubs today.

My current set is TaylorMade RAC OS irons, which are over 15 years old.  I don't plan to change them unless my vitamin M situation improves and I play more regularly than I am now (once to max twice a week).  I am thinking about using those groove cutters to sharpen my grooves.  Can't see anyone complaining about them being illegal in the club tournaments I play.

• Like 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Note: This thread is 820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!