IGNORED

Does Anyone Still Use "Old" Clubs on a Regular Basis?

WedgeHead

If I were to go back and play any of my old irons it might well be the 845s. They were some seriously good irons IMO.

cubdog

FWIW, they're going for about $40 on ebay.

I just ditched my Ping Zings for the LEGENDARY Ping Eye 2's. As we all know, they are the greatest irons ever made. Agree with this, or face the wrath of Famousdavis. ;-)

Seriously though, I've always wanted Eye 2's, and now I can't wait to get out and try them. I may even get a copper set one day.

• Upvote 3

FWIW, they're going for about $40 on ebay.

I just ditched my Ping Zings for the LEGENDARY Ping Eye 2's. As we all know, they are the greatest irons ever made. Agree with this, or face the wrath of Famousdavis.

Seriously though, I've always wanted Eye 2's, and now I can't wait to get out and try them. I may even get a copper set one day.

Sad to see the 845s fall to just $40. :cry:

Good luck with the new Pings.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This year I'm starting with a set of Maxfli Revolution black dot irons (1999), bent 1 degree strong in loft and stock lie. I reshafted them over the winter with TrueTemper Multi-Step lite shafts (the same ones as in the a7's). Seem to come out with the same yardages as the Adams irons. It's nice having a real 3 and 4 iron in the bag again. :-)

I'm keeping either the 2H or the 3H in the bag (the hybrids seem to be 5-10 yards longer than the respective Maxfli irons; we'll see if that changes as I get used to the irons).

• 1 month later...
I just found a set of Wilson staff ultra 45s 3-sw on the side of the road. They are from the early 90's. They are in great shape. I'm thinkingf of putting them in the bag. Anyone used/use these irons? I guess they were a pretty good iron in their day, and john daly won a major (pga I think) with them in 93. They have a nice look and feel to them at address. Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

wilson fluid feel blades in my bag,circa mid 80's,they are things of beauty in great cond.... everything else is pretty new but my irons are forever

Exactly.

but that I play a Zing putter from back then too.

I just bought a set of cleveland CG 1 full blade's i know there 10 years old great clubs but i have set of mcgregors RD's that i would be playing but they need reshaffting as they was cut down when i was a kid but i would still play them now

• 4 years later...

Well I just dug out my PGA Ryder Cup blades from the 70's along with the Vardon Cup Woods 1,3,4,5 the set cost me a hundred bucks, big money for a 21 year old kid. I remember the feeling of hitting a ball flush and the flight, a beautiful thing! Cleaned the irons and grooves, which are in great shape. Have Lamkin grips on them, also cleaned up. Will leave the woods alone.  I am excited to hit a few and get that pure feeling again, hope that will happen. Looking at them brings back memories of playing in my youth. Time passes quickly, don't waste a minute.

• iacas changed the title to Does Anyone Still Use "Old" Clubs on a Regular Basis?
  • 9 months later...

I have two full sets of Hogan Edge irons. One set is in pristine condition with original grips, admired, never played. The other set is serviceable with new Lamkin midsize grips that I squeezed on myself. Everyone should have a go at re-gripping their own clubs if for no other reason than to appreciate your club pro’s ability!

My favourite Hogan iron is the wedge identified by an “E” on its sole. Mr Hogan called his wedge the great “Equalizer” and darned if it isn’t just that. Works best if you say aloud “time to call the Equalizer” for those who remember the original TV series.

What bugs me somewhat is that I find quality of play is reduced when switching between the older Edge’s and my newer G410’s. Even allowing for the stronger lofts of today’s irons my scoring initially suffers after swapping one set for t’other. My playing partners all agree that I should just “park” the Hogans.

Not likely, because as we all know there’s nothing like striking a ball with a forged iron bang on the middle of its face!

Have two different sets and carry the driver and maybe putter back and forth summer and winter. Most are well over ten years old and work for me. Driver is only a couple of years old, even it is new to me.

This past season, I was having some 'strike' issues with my Hogan Black Blades. So I went back to my Hogan Edge GS Ft. Worth set from around 1993((ish?). Still a smaller head, but with plenty of forgiveness. Traditional lofts as well. Had them regripped- probably the 3rd time, but at least 10 years on the old ones since I've had other sets in the interim. They are in excellent condition with no rust and a few little spots of pitting. 

I loved my original Edge's from 1989 that I won during a charity event, and played those for several years until they were stolen. I found the newer set in my Dad's bag that he picked up at an estate sale. I asked what he paid for them- "$50". Okay, I told him "I'll give you $50 AND my current set for these". He obliged since he was nearing the end of his golf "career" due to age and health issues. 

After he passed, I went through his collection of clubs and found a set of TaylorMade Technicians in great shape as well. Along with some off brand stuff and 'clones' along with the set of Wilson's I had traded him for the GS's. Most went off to Goodwill, but I kept the Technicians and his assortment of hickory shafted clubs including one of the Hagen Spoon Sand Wedges and a a few from clubmakers in St. Andrews.

Only used the Technicians once or twice just for a giggle to prove to my buddies I could beat them with anything. 

2 or 3 years ago, I found a pristine set (2i-sw) of Ping original Eye irons (not Eye2) at Play It Again Sports.  They had original shafts and grips, and looked as if they'd never been used.  They were in a barrel out on the sidewalk with all the no-names and clones, with a price of only $39 dollars for the set.  I bought them, and put on some new Lamkin grips (the grips were over 40 years old, after all).

The lofts are a lot weaker (pw=51*), but the weaker lofts combined with the ZZ-Lite stock shafts (a bit stiffer than regular flex) seems to work ok for even a slower swinger like me (I'm 73).  I take them out every now and then for "retro" days (along with a Ping Tisi-Tec driver and original O-Blade brass putter).  Do I play better with them than my Cobra F9 single-lengths?  Not really.  But I don't play worse, and shoot about the same scores.  At my age, I no longer compete and don't even carry an official handicap.  I can't play as I did in my 40s, but every now and then, it's fun to get out and play with the clubs I played in my 40s.

• Like 1

I'm still gaming 4-PW,SW from the hand-me-down clubs when I originally started, 91 Lynx Parallax. (They  ever had a GW back then 10* of loft difference between the 2)

I'm kind of annoyed because it seems like the 2024 groove rule is still going ahead for all rounds played so I might be retiring them for competitive rounds in a few years.

Edited by cutchemist42

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My newest irons are MacGregor MT Pros (2009?). Other than that I’ve got Ping S59s and a Nike pro combo set (2004 or so), a set of PING Eye 2 irons, mid 1980’s Wilson Staff Tour Blades and a set of early 1980s Titleist Tour Model irons.