IGNORED

TST SoCal 2015 Spring Outing - May 24th, 2015 @ Industry Hills (Babe Course)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys were in.

Question are we opening this up to none TST members?

Thanks

If you're talking about bringing your son, then yeah, we're all fine with that, but just recognize that you miss out on the chance to play with anybody else since you'll likely again be in a group with Lihu and Kaili.

If you're talking about bringing somebody else, that's also always been encouraged with the caveat that you at least make a minimal effort to turn them into a member. :beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I think so?

I figured since my son is taking lessons with Mike it should be okay as well?

Will see what everyone else has to say, I know if us 4 play were good but my father in law would like to also.

Man I have not played much at all. With my step father passing away and driving to SD every weekend and my Justin Eagle Scout ceromoney this past weekend my game has gone to shit.

I think I have play twice in 6 weeks.

We should go together. Steve might be able to play in another group?

IDK about Justin, but even though Kaili does have a GHIN number, he does not really hold a handicap. By the time we go to the outing, I want to make sure he has at least 10 scoring rounds to be fair to everyone else. Most of his team does not really keep handicaps, since the coach decides who is playing each time anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hacker101

Guys were in.

Question are we opening this up to none TST members?

Thanks

If you're talking about bringing your son, then yeah, we're all fine with that, but just recognize that you miss out on the chance to play with anybody else since you'll likely again be in a group with Lihu and Kaili.

If you're talking about bringing somebody else, that's also always been encouraged with the caveat that you at least make a minimal effort to turn them into a member.

This would not be too bad. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

If you're talking about bringing somebody else, that's also always been encouraged with the caveat that you at least make a minimal effort to turn them into a member.

I figure I have about 18 months before my son leaves for collage so until then I have no issue just playing with just him. I will have all the time in the world after that. Maybe no any money to play with if he gets in to a few of the schools he is looking at. :cry:

I also just wanted to be clear with other guests there was a time unless they were member that we were not to bring them.

So as long as everyone is good with it I will invite my father in law (Steve). He does have a handicap that he keeps up due to playing with IBM.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I figure I have about 18 months before my son leaves for collage so until then I have no issue just playing with just him. I will have all the time in the world after that. Maybe no any money to play with if he gets in to a few of the schools he is looking at.

I also just wanted to be clear with other guests there was a time unless they were member that we were not to bring them.

So as long as everyone is good with it I will invite my father in law (Steve). He does have a handicap that he keeps up due to playing with IBM.

Could we try for a 5-some? If we can go first we should be able to move pretty quickly like at Goose Creek where we needed to wait 40 minutes for the rest of the party to join us. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've been to every one of the outings and at no time were guests not allowed. In fact, I think the only time we didn't have at least once guest was the last one when only myself, @Golfingdad @mvmac , and @Shindig showed up.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I think if you go back a few you will see that there was an issue, one with my son and the other with my father in law. Mt son because of his age and my father in law due to not being a member on the sand trap.

So not to cause any issue I just want to be sure everyone is okay with this.

We really enjoy coming to the outings and seeing everyone but in no way want to there to be issues or to cause any.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

• Administrator

I think if you go back a few you will see that there was an issue, one with my son and the other with my father in law. Mt son because of his age and my father in law due to not being a member on the sand trap.

So not to cause any issue I just want to be sure everyone is okay with this.

We really enjoy coming to the outings and seeing everyone but in no way want to there to be issues or to cause any.

That's not really correct. I'll be blunt about this, and I volunteered to sort of take the bullet for others because I'm on the east coast and don't participate in many of the events, so I'm okay with you being mad at me for this. You'll recall I wasn't even attending the event in question.

The TST outings have two kind of semi-soft rules:

• Guys don't want to have to play with kids unless they've also brought their kid. Guys with kids play together.
  • Guys don't want to have to play with a stranger (i.e. non-member). This is okay if the non-member is the guest of another in the same foursome.

When you wanted to bring your father-in-law and your son, the issue was that it was going to be difficult to create foursomes. A fivesome would have worked, but the course wouldn't allow that. So either your father-in-law had to play with three strangers (not ideal) or one TST member would have to play with you, your FIL, and your son, while two others would have to play with @Lihu and Kaili.

Nobody has anything against children (or specifically your children, who have always been very well behaved, polite, etc.), but that's not really the purpose of these outings. Many of the players in the outings are fathers themselves. But that kind of underscores the point that the outings serve as "guy time" with friends. Nobody's particularly raunchy, curses a ton, or drinks a bunch. But they are guys and they might want to tell an off-color joke, tease each other, or swear now and then. Being around kids makes this uncomfortable. So splitting you/FIL/son/Lihu/Kaili up would have kind of messed with the mojo. That was the issue.

Like I said, I offered to take the bullet for the majority of the people playing, but the sentiment was shared. I didn't care about that particular outing - again, I wasn't even going to that one. But I understood and agreed with the feelings of others, so I shared the opinion above. The issue is not with non-members playing. Tristan brought a friend who was either a non-member or a guy who almost never posted before, but we were able to absorb him because he was an adult and two other people in the group at least knew Tristan.

I think it's great that you want to play with your FIL and son. I will admit to being confused about why you can't do that the other 361 days of the year, but that's not a judgment, just my own confusion as I said.

Hope that makes sense.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think it's great that you want to play with your FIL and son. I will admit to being confused about why you can't do that the other 361 days of the year, but that's not a judgment, just my own confusion as I said. Hope that makes sense.

This is my feeling as well. I don't get why you'd even want to come to the event if youre just creating your own foursome and not sticking around afterwards. All you're doing is playing golf with your normal group in the general vicinity of some guys you kinda almost know. I'm sure it doesn't seem like it now but we're really good guys - and you'd find that out if you actually JOINED us for one of these outings. (And I really hope you do)

Okay guys, my son is taking a Chemistry AP exam on May 4th. I don't think I'll be able to make May 2nd. He finishes his exams end of May, and is on summer vacation after that. We should be able to play more golf together after May. I feel so bad after making such a big deal about the 2nd, but May is a really bad month for me as I stated earlier. Have fun, and I'll try to catch you in the summer. If you play Babe, let me know how it goes. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is my feeling as well. I don't get why you'd even want to come to the event if youre just creating your own foursome and not sticking around afterwards. All you're doing is playing golf with your normal group in the general vicinity of some guys you kinda almost know.

I'm sure it doesn't seem like it now but we're really good guys - and you'd find that out if you actually JOINED us for one of these outings. (And I really hope you do)

I met Lihu and we play every so othen, as well a few other guys we have meet up out side the outings to play so this has not been a waste at all for me any way.

There is no bullet to take and everyone has been great, so I think it will be best if I go when I can.

Really nothing more to be said, not trying to sell I was just asking.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

At this point, who's all in? I'm assuming we're still going with May 2nd.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

At this point, who's all in? I'm assuming we're still going with May 2nd.

I'm in for May 2. Or just about any other day we choose.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I'm in!

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Who is taking the lead on booking tea times,etc? Looking forward to getting back out there...

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Who is taking the lead on booking tea times,etc? Looking forward to getting back out there...

I can take care of that...

I know at one point we were thinking of possibly playing at Industry Hills... are we still doing that or do we want to look at other places?

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I can take care of that...

I know at one point we were thinking of possibly playing at Industry Hills... are we still doing that or do we want to look at other places?

Can you guys save playing Industry hills for the Summer for two reasons? The first one is that I'd like to join when you play there, the second is that there will be a lot more shade for when it gets hot during the summer months. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!