IGNORED

Dufner @ Honda less 20 lbs - Jason Dufner looks like a lean mean golfing machine

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maybe it's psychosomatic? A small percentage of people can't curtail the appetite, can only hold it off so long, it affects their everyday competency in doing things? Once they've gone back to their usual eating habits, things are back to normal?

Typically you are correct. The hormone called Leptin is like insulin in that it creates plateaus. When you are overweight your leptin levels become use to that level. So when you binge diet your body hasn't gotten use to that binge level and will regress back towards when you were most stable before hand. The body does not want to starve.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

Maybe it's psychosomatic? A small percentage of people can't curtail the appetite, can only hold it off so long, it affects their everyday competency in doing things? Once they've gone back to their usual eating habits, things are back to normal?

Typically you are correct. The hormone called Leptin is like insulin in that it creates plateaus. When you are overweight your leptin levels become use to that level. So when you binge diet your body hasn't gotten use to that binge level and will regress back towards when you were most stable before hand. The body does not want to starve.

I've found that I can "trick" my body a little bit by eating lots of pan fried dark green vegetables. There is just enough oil to cook them, but not enough to really add to the caloric intake. Dark green vegetables only need half a teaspoon of oil or so for a pan full of vegetables.

The oil tricks your body into thinking it has eaten more calories than consumed and the vegetables provide very little caloric intake.

I am still not at my target weight, but I have managed to keep 25 pounds off from when I started 2 years ago even through holiday eating habits.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I don't know how people can sustain rapid wholesale changes like this. Lifestyle change would be SOOOooo difficult to sustain if not eased into over a period of a year or two. I agree it looks more than 30 lbs loss. 1 lb = 3,500 calorie. Even if he lost 'only' 20 lbs. He cut out 70K calorie in a couple of months. I think I would forget my name by the 4th day...

Vishal S.

[QUOTE name="saevel25" url="/t/80396/dufner-honda-less-20-lbs-jason-dufner-looks-like-a-lean-mean-golfing-machine-golf-digest/18#post_1109278"]   [QUOTE name="nevets88" url="/t/80396/dufner-honda-less-20-lbs-jason-dufner-looks-like-a-lean-mean-golfing-machine-golf-digest#post_1109236"]   Maybe it's psychosomatic? A small percentage of people can't curtail the appetite, can only hold it off so long, it affects their everyday competency in doing things? Once they've gone back to their usual eating habits, things are back to normal? [/QUOTE] Typically you are correct. The hormone called Leptin is like insulin in that it creates plateaus. When you are overweight your leptin levels become use to that level. So when you binge diet your body hasn't gotten use to that binge level and will regress back towards when you were most stable before hand. The body does not want to starve.  [/QUOTE] I've found that I can "trick" my body a little bit by eating lots of pan fried dark green vegetables. There is just enough oil to cook them, but not enough to really add to the caloric intake. Dark green vegetables only need half a teaspoon of oil or so for a pan full of vegetables. The oil tricks your body into thinking it has eaten more calories than consumed and the vegetables provide very little caloric intake. I am still not at my target weight, but I have managed to keep 25 pounds off from when I started 2 years ago even through holiday eating habits.

My wife gets these packages of dried seaweed at Costco. Delicious potato chip substitute. I'd even go as far as to say that I may even prefer them to chips now.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hold on, some of you guys are saying he doesn't look healthy now? Did he look healthy before???

I'm with Colin. I think he didn't look all that healthy before.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Holy shit Dufner. But I do agree, that picture makes him looks slimmer, but sick. I'll have to see him live at the Honda to compare. That picture honestly makes him look like he is going through radiation treatment right now.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

If you look at photos of Americans in the 30s and 40s, most men had the same build as Dufner. Now granted, there was the Great Depression and rationing during WWII, but even photos in the recovering 50s, Americans were pretty svelte. Jump to now with larger portions, processed cheap food all over the place.

It would be better to ask Dufner how he feels on a daily basis, versus before. I did read he is still chewing though. not sure how true that is.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

He doesn't look that bad in my opinion. On the contrary. He's slim now, but not skinny (at least not in the picture). Also his face is not looking skinny to me, just normal.

~Jorrit

My wife gets these packages of dried seaweed at Costco. Delicious potato chip substitute. I'd even go as far as to say that I may even prefer them to chips now.

Oh man, my daughter loves that stuff, I cannot develop a taste for it. Wish I could cuz yeah, would be a good carb sub. Purty pricey though, eh?

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

He looks like a guy who lost weight too quick.  His body will adjust to the new weight and we will get used to seeing him like this.  I do wonder how it will affect his golf game since;

• His stance has to change since he no longer has to compensate for his stomach
  • He likely lost muscle mass since even the healthiest of diets results in at least 20% muscle loss.
  • Psychological, knowing he weighs less will he try to compensate for less mass by over swinging.

In the end it's better for him and the game of golf.  Golf is played by athletes today and while some guys are still very good while appearing out of shape, it will lend creditability to golf as a sport if the top players look healthy.

Joe Paradiso

He looks like a guy who lost weight too quick.  His body will adjust to the new weight and we will get used to seeing him like this.  I do wonder how it will affect his golf game since;

His stance has to change since he no longer has to compensate for his stomach

He likely lost muscle mass since even the healthiest of diets results in at least 20% muscle loss.

Psychological, knowing he weighs less will he try to compensate for less mass by over swinging.

In the end it's better for him and the game of golf.  Golf is played by athletes today and while some guys are still very good while appearing out of shape, it will lend creditability to golf as a sport if the top players look healthy.

Stephanie Wei, you only took a photo, you should have taken a video of his swing :-)

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Looks like much more than 20lb loss, and he doesn't look healthy in my opinion.  Hope he finds a happy medium between glutton and gluten-free and heavies back up a little to a "man" weight.

y'all are saying that because you know what he looked like before.  he DID NOT look healthy before.  he looked FAT.  as in obese, which never looks healthy.  he is an active person, who is taking in the calories that he needs to do the work of each day.  if he wasnt consuming the necessary calories theres no way he would be able to practice enough to keep his game up, let alone walk the course.

Colin P.

I agree with @colin007. He was obese. Now he looks normal. I don't understand why people think he's too skinny.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Note: This thread is 3343 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!