IGNORED

Good Golf Books

EbonyGentleman
Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think Seve just released a book, and Faldos is a good read for fans of his

"Golf is not a game of perfect" is excellent as well, surely a must own!

In My Bag:

Driver: Burner Driver 9.5 (UST Proforce V2 Stiff 76g)
3 Wood: Rescue TP 14.5* (Stock 75g Stiff)
2 Iron: G10 Hybrid (Ust Proforce V2 85g High Launch Stiff)Irons: X- Forged (Rifle 6.0 Shafts)Wedges: 248.06, 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Putter: 9 XG Ball: TP BlackBag: Ozone Stand...

• Administrator
I believe we just had a thread like this. I'm going to merge this thread with that one.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello. I enjoy a good read and I'm looking for a new one to read while at work and bored at school.

I suggest "Chicken Soup for the Golfers Soul" vol 1 or 2.

Beware of old dudes with old clubs and new grips.

• 3 weeks later...
So I got the book " Golf a game of not perfect " or whatever it was called, read about 80 pages and shot the best I did on a local course..

Its really a great book and as weird as it sounds it did improve my game. I guess it really just focuses on how NOT to think when you swing the club. Allow practice to perfect your swing, think and do all those funny drills at the range, but when playing a round of golf don't think AT ALL about how you should swing..

Another great tip from the book was trying to correct your swing, if you sliced the ball, don't try to analize what you did wrong and try to correct it on the next hole, either don't use the club or just go up there with the additude that you're going to hit it perfect.

Tiger Woods, How I play Golf.

I've got the same book. It's really great for fundamentals and mental aspect of the game.

DRIVER - Tight Lies/Graphite/10°
3 WOOD - Sasquatch/Graphite/15°
5 WOOD - Tight Lies/Graphite/19°
IRONS - X-22/Steel/3-PWAW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/52°SW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/56°LW - SV Tour Black Satin/Steel/60°PUTTER - Black Series #2/34"

Any of the Harvey Penick books.

Yeah, I just finished Tom Kite's

Fairway to Heaven , about his life with Harvey Penick. I smiled most of the way through (except the depressing parts, obviously). I've read Harvey's Little Red Book , and I need to get the rest of his.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 3 weeks later...
Mark Frost, who wrote "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and "The Grand Slam" has a new book out called "The Match". It is about a money match set up by Eddy Lowery (Francis Ouimet's caddie when he won his US Open) between amateurs Ken Venturi and Harvie Ward and Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. It happened in 1956.

I loved Frost's first 2 golf books, and will be asking for this one for Christmas. If anyone reads it, I'd love to hear your opinion. If not, I'll let you know in January what I think.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

The Bogey Man by George Plimpton

Driver: Sumo2 5900 10.5*
3+ Utility: 3DX Utility 13.5*
Hybrids: 4DX 18.5*
Irons: MP-30 3-PW
Wedges: Vokey SM54.10 & SM60.04Putter: T.P. Mills StudioBall: GamerBag: Warbird Stand

Two years in St Andrews is my all time favorite! I loved it so much I read it every year!I've read almost every book mentioned here. Nice to know there are golf book freaks out there like me.
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Two years in St Andrews is my all time favorite! I loved it so much I read it every year!I've read almost every book mentioned here. Nice to know there are golf book freaks out there like me.

I got Two Years in St. Andrews for Father's Day and loved it. I see that when it was released in paper back they changed the name to St. Andrews Soujourn: Two Years at Home on the Old Course.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

im really surprised no one has mentioned "The Pro" by Butch Harmon, not a teaching book. its actually a book about his father Claude Sr. and Butch's life... very very good book, if you havent read it yet go get it now.

In My Bag
Driver: TaylorMade R11 9*

3-Wood: Ping Anser 14.5*
Hybrid: TaylorMade Superfast Burner 18*
Irons: Ping i20 PW - 4

Wedges: Ping Tour Pro Rusty 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter: Ping Anser

Balls: Titleist Pro-V1s

Sunglasses: Oakley Flak Jacket (golf specific)

Bag: Ping Hoofer

Course: Alliance Country Club

In 'Swing Like A Pro' they studied the swings of tour pros to create a composite computer model available online at modelgolf.com.

The best chapter is 'The Transition' that details the first move from the top in dropping the club behind the shoulder, not into some mythical 'slot' as espoused by trainers like Jim McLean.

I can testify that it absolutely cures the over the top affliction.

Bogey Man was a great book, made me LOL a few times
Harvey Pennicks Little Red Book was a good quick read. Has some good stories and help.
Butch Harmons Playing Lessons is a good book to read some course management strategies.
Dave Pelz Short game and Putting Bible's are good but some parts are tough to read as he talks about his research a lot. If you are serious about getting your short game better, I recommend the short game bible.

I am definitely going to check out some of the books mentioned in this thread.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |

Butch Harmons

My only real complaint with this book is that player C had to read player A and B's pieces, because Butch would occasionally reference something that happened there. This caused a bit of an information overload for me. I would have much preferred if I could read just player C's pieces (and the common pieces, such as the stories about the hole) for now, and then player B's when I get to that level, and so on.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Some good books I've read on the mental side of golf are:

-"Mind Over Golf" by Dr. Richard Coop and Bill Fields
-"Fearless Golf" by Dr. Gio Valiante and Mike Stachura

These are both great reads.
In My Grom Stand Bag:

Driver:
Big Bertha 460 Graphite 10°
Woods: Big Bertha 3&5 Graphite
Hybrid: r7 Rescue 19° Irons: 06 Big Bertha #4-SWPutter: 35 in. Rossie Mallet *Soon to be Bettinardi C03H 34"Ball: ProV1x

Note: This thread is 5884 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!