IGNORED

Good Golf Books

EbonyGentleman
Note:Β This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I just finished "Paper Tiger" and it was a joy to read for beginning to end. I recommend it for anyone looking for a good golf read.

|Callaway I-MIX FT-9Β  - Driver | Callaway Diablo Octane - 3 Wood | Callaway Diablo Edge Tour [3H & 4H] - Hybrids | Callaway X-forged 2009 - Irons | Callaway JAWS [52, 56, 60] - Wedges | SC Studio Style Newport 2 / Laguna 1.5 / Kombi-S - Putter |
Β 

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I listen to books on the elliptical machine.

"Tales From Q School" was interesting but Feinstein read it himself, and he has voice immodulation disorder, so boring!

Just finished "Golf of Your Dreams" by Rotella. Great book, and he reads it well, too.

The Short Game Bible by Dave Pelz. After reading this I started chipping in or just missing nonstop. Also good impormation on short game stats.

The Five Lessons by Ben Hogan. Along with this and his clubs I shot one of my lowest rounds soon after.
In My Bag:
Driver: r580XD R flex
3 Wood: Mac Burrows 13*
Irons: Apex 2 iron
Irons: Edge 3-E ('89-92)Wedge: rac TP Satin 56*12Wedge: rac TP Black 60*06Putter: CER Milled CP03 (GolfWorks custom head)Ball: Pro V1 or any other found premimum ball

• 3 weeks later...
Just finished Paper Tiger by Tom Coyne. I've never LOL more while reading a golf book. Excellent writer! Shares his hilarious stories along with great instructional advice during his quest to qualify on the pro tour as he nears 30.

After learning of Reid Sheftall on this forum, I bought his book, Striking It Rich. Another must read about a surgeon in Cambodia trying to make the pro tour, after picking the game up nearly 30 after playing in his youth! I posted my review of his book at www.artfulgolfer.com .

The book that hoped me the most in learning how to think on the course, and subsequently getting my index down from 16 to 4, after also picking up the game at 46 years old, was Fred Shoemaker's Extraordinary Golf. I had the pleasure of playing with Fred this year in Bandon Dunes. Enjoyed him as much as the book!

Highly recommend all 3!

www.artfulgolfer.com

* Stan Utley's

Has anyone read both Stan Utley's book as well as Dave Pelz's? How do they compare? Is one better than the other? I would guess Dave Pelz's books sell more as he is a bigger name.

Drive for show, putt for dough

PutterKarsten Anser2
WedgesX-Forged 52* 58*IronsX-20 tours P-3HybridX 21 stiff4-wood R9 17 mitsubishi rayon fubuki StiffDriver R9 11.5 mitsubishi rayon fubuki Stiff

Has anyone read both Stan Utley's book as well as Dave Pelz's? How do they compare? Is one better than the other? I would guess Dave Pelz's books sell more as he is a bigger name.

I read both of Utley's books (Short game and putting) and Pelz's "Putt like a Pro". The Utley books were recent reads, and Pelz was about a year or so ago. I should re-read it, but I remember it being a chapter on physics of putting and then a long ad for his putter training products. I've yet to read his "Short Game Bible" or any of those.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not big in to golf books, but I have read...

Harvey Penick's Little Red Book of Wisdom - Harvey Penick and Bud Shrake
-Lots of short stories and lesson. This book really gets you thinking positive.

Next on the list is Dave Pelz's Short Game Bible, and Bob Rotella's books.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

I got Mark Frost's latest called "The Match" for Christmas. I'm about five chapters in, but it is as good as his first two, "The Greatest Game Ever Played" and "The Grand Slam". All three highly recommended.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blueΒ dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34"Β 

• 2 weeks later...
hi. you know, i could go on and on. i love reading golf books, but i'll mention three by pro golfers that are particulary good in imparting info. first raymond floyd's "the elements of scoring." Hale Irwin's "Smart Golf," and finally Davis Love's "Every Shot I take" which is not only a pretty good instructional book but a heartfelt tribute to his father.

I just finally finished reading "A Good Walk Spoiled" by John Feinstein. I would read a chapter or two at a time, then put it down for a while. He writes very good - I could easily have finished in a single afternoon, but I had other things to read, so it became an "in between" reading. I'm very tempted to pick up more of his books to see if they're as good.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

• 2 weeks later...
I would have to say my favorite golf book is "Dead Solid Perfect" by Dan Jenkins. It is a fictional story about a PGA pro. I have heard it was made into a movie with Randy Quiad- but I never saw it. Kenny Lee Pucket is a west Texas golfer who tells his life story(what a life sotry it is). It culminates with his experience at the U.S. Open. It is a bit racy and has a good bit of bad language- FYI.

• 1 month later...
if you could get ONE book on this list , which one would it be?
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayΓ’Β¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

if you could get ONE book on

I'm guessing by the search query that you want something about the mental game. A brief review, by me, in order that they appear. Omission means I didn't read it (yet).

Golf is not a Game of Perfect - Rotella - great. Frequently mentioned here and considered a top book by most of us. Zen Putting was interesting, but I didn't find it all that useful, as I had already read Rotella and Coop. How good it is as a first-time read, I don't know. (note to self: haven't read Rotella's "The Golfer's Mind". Must read) A Good Walk Spoiled was great, but isn't about the mental game. If you want something where you can read a chapter in 15-20 minute coffee breaks or sit and read the whole thing, and enjoy it either way, this is it. But it won't help your golf game. Wow, there's a bunch I need to read If I had to get one, I'd get "The Golfer's Mind," since it's my top priority on that list to read that I've yet to read. If I hadn't read any of them, and I could only read one, grab Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect".

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

if you could get ONE book on

Easy ... Fred Shoemaker's Extraordinary Golf. As I've shared before, I broke 80 the day after I read this book (after 6 months of play) and broke par 1 year later. Read this book!

www.artfulgolfer.com

The Dr. Bob Rotella CD Collection. You get four great books in one. I have this CD collection and have learned a ton from them.
In my bag:

Driver: FT-5, 9Β° stiff
Wood: Big Bertha 3W/5W
Irons: X-20 TourWedges: X Tour 52Β°/56Β°Hybrids: Idea Pro 2/3/4Putter: Black Series #2Ball: NXT Extreme/NXT Tour

Note:Β This thread is 5893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!