IGNORED

Golf, Without Tiger or Phil, Is in a Good Place - Agree or Disagree?

iacas
Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Without Tiger and Phil, Golf Is Still in a Good Place?

• Agree
    • Disagree

With the strongest, most exciting crop of young players, perhaps in the history of the game? I'm genuinely curious, why are you worried?

I might watch, and you might watch, but I don't think most people will watch.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Most? Most people won't watch golf just because 2 former stars get old and fade away? Really?, :-\

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Most? Most people won't watch golf just because 2 former stars get old and fade away?

Really?,

Most people don't even watch golf, and Phil and Tiger have appeal to people who do not normally watch golf.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Most people don't even watch golf, and Phil and Tiger have appeal to people who do not normally watch golf.

Huh?

In David's bag....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Huh?

Most people just don't watch golf.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Well, ok. Those who don't already watch golf will likely continue to not watch golf, regardless of who is, or is not playing.

In David's bag....

Just going from what I've heard, the ratings aren't like they were when Tiger was playing. Couple that with what I've read about golf courses closing, and the overall golf business not doing well, I voted, "disagree."

To be honest, I didn't even put in the tournament this week and when I received the alert on my phone that the tournament was headed to a playoffi don't think I was home and I just closed out the notification and didn't think about getting home to watch it or the coverage on TGC after.

You missed out....big time.

I voted agree, PGA golf is more competitive than ever and the young guns are extremely fun to watch.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

See, I disagree. None of those players really interests me and I'm not a fan of any of them. I'm the type of person that pretty much has to have a rooting interest to watch a sport, otherwise, it's not as enjoyable for me. With the players involved, I didn't have had a rooting interest which is why I didn't care about getting home to watch they playoff.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

See, I disagree.

None of those players really interests me and I'm not a fan of any of them. I'm the type of person that pretty much has to have a rooting interest to watch a sport, otherwise, it's not as enjoyable for me. With the players involved, I didn't have had a rooting interest which is why I didn't care about getting home to watch they playoff.

That's cool, I just can't see how someone doesn't find a 21 year old phenom (3rd youngest player in history to win multiple PGA events, Tiger & Sergio in front), and a 24 year old (only the 5th player to earn 3 PGA tour wins before his 24th birthday, Tiger, Phil, Rory, Sergio) battling it out in a play-off exciting.

I'm not even a huge fan of either golfer but man, if that doesn't give you a golf hard-on I'd check your pulse.

To each his own I suppose.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

That's cool, I just can't see how someone doesn't find a 21 year old phenom (3rd youngest player in history to win multiple PGA events, Tiger & Sergio in front), and a 24 year old (only the 5th player to earn 3 PGA tour wins before his 24th birthday, Tiger, Phil, Rory, Sergio) battling it out in a play-off exciting.

I suppose in a way it's like watching a sport I have no interest in. It could be between the best players or teams but if I don't have an interest, then it won't be something I'll go out of my way for. [quote name="Crim" url="/t/80828/golf-without-tiger-or-phil-is-in-a-good-place-agree-or-disagree/0_100#post_1117094"] I'm not even a huge fan of either golfer but man, if that doesn't give you a golf hard-on I'd check your pulse. [/quote] This comment was pretty unnecessary. [quote name="Crim" url="/t/80828/golf-without-tiger-or-phil-is-in-a-good-place-agree-or-disagree/0_100#post_1117094"] To each his own I suppose.  [/quote] Yup, different strokes which I suppose was the point of the poll.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamo

Most? Most people won't watch golf just because 2 former stars get old and fade away?

Really?,

Yes, really.  I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of a tournament since last year's US Open.  I even missed the British, but I had an excuse for that, as we were en route from the Bahamas to Colorado and most of our household goods were on rusty bucket of an island freighter on their way to Ft. Lauderdale.  Our internet and satellite had been terminated.  I just haven't found any reason to root for anyone, and I have to have someone to actually follow to get interested.  I'm that way with virtually every sporting event that I watch.  I need the home team or equivalent, and right now there is nobody that gets my attention on Tour.  I'll watch the Masters whether Tiger is playing or not, and maybe pick someone out of the pack to pull for.

As I said earlier in this thread, golf needs a star, and right now all they have is a talent pool - lots of talent, but very few stand outs.  The field in most tournaments is too homogeneous.

Rory may make it, he is certainly showing that he has talent above most of the rest of the field, and maybe more personality than many on Tour right now.

Reed might step up, although it would be very difficult for me to root for him.  His history is too checkered, and he has some real making up to do to ever get any support from those of us who still believe that golf is a game of integrity.

Dustin Johnson, if he has gotten the gorilla off his back and is going to stay straight and play as he is capable of.  I'd love to see that.  His recent troubles give him a human side that I don't see in so much of the Tour.

Don't yet know enough about Spieth to have much of an opinion.  I'll have to do some research.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Well, ok. Those who don't already watch golf will likely continue to not watch golf, regardless of who is, or is not playing.

Not really true.  The stars bring viewers who are just casual watchers.  Without stars golf cannot draw new people into the game, nor will the casual player or TV watcher tune in to see O'hair or Henry play golf.  I won't even tune in for that, and I'm a more than just a casual fan.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yes, really.  I haven't watched more than 5 minutes of a tournament since last year's US Open.  I even missed the British, but I had an excuse for that, as we were en route from the Bahamas to Colorado and most of our household goods were on rusty bucket of an island freighter on their way to Ft. Lauderdale.  Our internet and satellite had been terminated.  I just haven't found any reason to root for anyone, and I have to have someone to actually follow to get interested.  I'm that way with virtually every sporting event that I watch.  I need the home team or equivalent, and right now there is nobody that gets my attention on Tour.  I'll watch the Masters whether Tiger is playing or not, and maybe pick someone out of the pack to pull for.   As I said earlier in this thread, golf needs a star, and right now all they have is a talent pool - lots of talent, but very few stand outs.  The field in most tournaments is too homogeneous. Rory may make it, he is certainly showing that he has talent above most of the rest of the field, and maybe more personality than many on Tour right now. Reed might step up, although it would be very difficult for me to root for him.  His history is too checkered, and he has some real making up to do to ever get any support from those of us who still believe that golf is a game of integrity.   Dustin Johnson, if he has gotten the gorilla off his back and is going to stay straight and play as he is capable of.  I'd love to see that.  His recent troubles give him a human side that I don't see in so much of the Tour. Don't yet know enough about Spieth to have much of an opinion.  I'll have to do some research.

Amazing that golf even survived when Arnie and Jack faded..... And most people who enjoy watching golf (and not every golfer does) will continue to watch. Eventually the new stars replace the former. That's the nature of everything, not just golf. Some have a harder time moving on than others, but those fans that genuinely enjoy watching the sport for the sake of the sport, will do so.

In David's bag....

I agree.

Golf didn't die after Arnie or Jack.

There is golf in the High school and Colleges/Universities.

Although there is no one dominant player at this time, the amount of playoffs are evidence of that.

The young guns and subsequent playoffs will draw viewers.

It's an exciting time, things are changing.

IMHO

Brian   

That is setting the bar impossibly high. No one is going to do that. Rory has four majors before the age of 26, that seems mighty impressive to me. Only four players in the last 75 years, including Woods and Spieth, have two wins before the age of 22. That is also mighty impressive.

It could well be argued that Tiger, like Michael Jordan in basketball, DESTROYED his sport, because he got people used to the near-impossible, and they got to expecting it.

I am not interested in the next Tiger. Rory is the first Rory. Jordan is the first Jordan. That's enough for me.

Well in today's society where people have more choices than ever, that is where the bar is for golf to once again spread beyond its natural boundaries (viewers like you and @David in FL ) as it did at the height of Tiger's powers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

I voted agree, PGA golf is more competitive than ever and the young guns are extremely fun to watch.

Totally.  One of the most compelling finishes in awhile, and ups the excitement level for the near future.

None of those players really interests me and I'm not a fan of any of them. I'm the type of person that pretty much has to have a rooting interest to watch a sport, otherwise, it's not as enjoyable for me. With the players involved, I didn't have had a rooting interest which is why I didn't care about getting home to watch they playoff.

OK, I get that, however, for all of the sports that you do have a rooting interest in, you had to develop it at some point, right?  It doesn't just magically happen for no reason unless we're talking about the hometown team you were raised to root for - which, in that case, is the reason.

This weekend was, for me, one of those moments that gets me excited for possible things to come, and it sets the foundation for more rooting interest and excitement if/when we see Reed and Spieth (and also Moore and O'Hair as well) battle again in the near future.  Before this weekend, if you told me the Masters would come down to Reed and Spieth, I would have said that would be great.  After this weekend, if you tell me that, I'd say that would be ****ING AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Know what I mean?

Quote:

Originally Posted by turtleback

But Spieth, Reed, and even Rory fail to get anywhere near his popularity level, or had the effect on the sport as a whole, because they have not come even close to his body of work at a similar age as they are.  They get all excited because Reed was going for his 5th win under the age of 25.  They got all excited at Spieth winning his second under the age of 22.  Tiger had 5 wins before his 22nd birthday.  Including a major.

If someone of any color comes out and starts doing those kinds of things I think they will get the same kind of popularity that Tiger has gotten, IMO.  Perhaps (hopefully) without the vilification he has been subjected to.

That is setting the bar impossibly high. No one is going to do that. Rory has four majors before the age of 26, that seems mighty impressive to me. Only four players in the last 75 years, including Woods and Spieth, have two wins before the age of 22. That is also mighty impressive.

It could well be argued that Tiger, like Michael Jordan in basketball, DESTROYED his sport, because he got people used to the near-impossible, and they got to expecting it.

I am not interested in the next Tiger. Rory is the first Rory. Jordan is the first Jordan. That's enough for me.

+1.   Over the years, how many "next Tiger" have the media pushed?   Too many to mention.   How many were truly the next Tiger?   Zero, nil, nada, none, ...   We better get used to golf without Tiger and be happy that we were there to witness his dominance.    Golf will survive.  I think it is in good shape now, thanks to Tiger.

( The only controversial statement above may be "Jordan is the first Jordan" statement.   A case can be made for Maravich, Russell, Chamberlain, Magic, Bird, Kobe, ...    We forget Chamberlain averaged 50 points per game in single NBA season.  OT, I know. )

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I agree as well. There will be a new Phil. Maybe not a new Tiger, but possibly that makes it even more interesting. Different, fresh, new, young players are ready to take over. I like it!

~Jorrit

Note: This thread is 3312 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!