IGNORED

Will I be able to get a D1 golf scholarship, or play at the D1 collegiate levell?

Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just started to play golf this year (freshman year of high school) and I haven't even played a full round of golf before, but I am pretty good at the short game. I can hit a 7 iron about 150 yards, and a 3 wood about 180-200 yards. Whenever I play nine holes, I usually score about 15-20 over. I haven't played on the golf team this year because the other sport I play, lacrosse, is priority over golf for me, but I like golf more. I am almost 100% sure my parents won't let me play golf instead of school lacrosse because I am already good at lacrosse and I'm not great at golf. My friends who are on the golf team usually shoot around 15 over-ish on 18 holes, so do I have a chance at being on the team, therefore having a shot at college golf? I have a ton of passion for the game, its just can almost never practice at all because of the cost and because my parents can't take me to the course. Am I stuck on a never-ending road which I can't escape?

According to one of the coaches in our play league, to qualify for a D1 scholarship, you would need to be around a +4 handicap for a male and a female should be around scratch.

If you just want to play for a D1 team, I think it is much more relaxed.

BTW, 15-20 over on 9 holes is about a 28-32 handicap depending upon how hard is the course. If your potential team mates are shooting 15 over on 18 holes they are around a 13 handicap. That kind of depends upon the coach, I guess?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You should speak with your H.S. golf coach.  In my area the golf team doesn't cut anyone from the team at the Junior Varsity level so you might get more exposure to the game and practice time without being very good or your parents having to spend much money.

Joe Paradiso

No.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

By the way, do not pay attention to my handicap index, I just put in a random number, I haven't even calculated my handicap yet because I can't!

Then change it to 30.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I just started to play golf this year (freshman year of high school) and I haven't even played a full round of golf before, but I am pretty good at the short game. I can hit a 7 iron about 150 yards, and a 3 wood about 180-200 yards. Whenever I play nine holes, I usually score about 15-20 over. I haven't played on the golf team this year because the other sport I play, lacrosse, is priority over golf for me, but I like golf more. I am almost 100% sure my parents won't let me play golf instead of school lacrosse because I am already good at lacrosse and I'm not great at golf. My friends who are on the golf team usually shoot around 15 over-ish on 18 holes, so do I have a chance at being on the team, therefore having a shot at college golf? I have a ton of passion for the game, its just can almost never practice at all because of the cost and because my parents can't take me to the course. Am I stuck on a never-ending road which I can't escape?

Please do not take this as a bashing or an attempt to crush your dreams in any way. It's just a real world example to give you a healthy dose of reality.

My son is a junior this year and his team lost only one match the entire season. My son and three other seniors that are graduating this year range in handicaps from scratch to a 2. Their #1 player shot a three day total of -9 under par during tryouts(it's his home course) this past fall.

Two of the three graduating seniors this year are signed to play D2 college golf. The #1 guy I think got a couple looks but no offers for D1.

Their team was one of the better ones in our State and none of them are signed to play D1. My son with one more year may have a outside chance but he better light up the sky this coming season to have any chance. He is currently on pace to follow his team mates into D2.

With all that said, if you love the game, find a good swing coach, and put in the work. You still have some time to develop into a fine player who could realistically reach a D2, or D3 level by the time you finish high school.

I've watched some D3 college golf tournaments played at my home course and from what I've witnessed based on their scores if you can just come close to occasionally breaking 80 there's likely a D3 team you can get on. For D2 you need to be pretty much at scratch, and as Lihu stated more like a solid +3 to +4 to play D1.

Follow your heart, work hard, and see what happens. You'll find this out as an adult but in life there are no guarantees.

In My Bag:
Driver: :Cobra Amp Cell Pro 9.5*, Stock X-Flex

3 Wood: :Cobra Bio Cell 16*, Stock X-Flex

5 Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 20*, Stock S-Flex
Irons: Bridgestone J40-CB 3-PW, Project-X 6.0

Gap Wedge::Vokey: 52* CNC  

Sand Wedge: :Vokey: 58* CNC  

Putters: Scotty Cameron Newport II 

Ball: Bridgestone 330-S(2014)

Note: This thread is 3318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!