IGNORED

Swing Speed Chart Accuracy?

GHIN0011458
Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking at the chart and assuming solid contact it pretty much jives for me.  I fall somewhere between the 100 and senior tour 106 speed numbers depending on the day...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well it is kind of silly but it works. I could make a video but here is what I do- Laugh if you wish;

This is actually pretty simple. I'm going to try it. Thanks.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

No problem- I hit some pop-ups and while this thread has gone way off topic, I don't mind hitting those- over exaggerate it. I am trying to hit the ball a tad high on the clubface for the least amount of spin too.

Do I get an award for that artwork?

No problem- I hit some pop-ups and while this thread has gone way off topic, I don't mind hitting those- over exaggerate it. I am trying to hit the ball a tad high on the clubface for the least amount of spin too.

Do I get an award for that artwork?

You'd need to redo the arrows, I suppose you could get one for the tee box, ball and tees. . . :banana:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Haha, the old "Do the thing you're supposed to or hit bad stuff" drill. Works every time.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Haha, the old "Do the thing you're supposed to or hit bad stuff" drill. Works every time.

I suppose I could put one of those log shaped tee markers in front of the tee and try to avoid hitting it, again. Now, that was pretty bad. . . :doh:

This situation shows the added benefit of steel shafts, BTW. I'm still using it with no damage to the club whatsoever. The titanium G15 head is pretty much indestructible too as it turns out! :banana:

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 months later...

My dad hits a driver 240-250 and his swing speed was 93-96 mph the other day, so that's pretty accurate. Curiously, he hits nice and high short irons in the 130 column.

So I would not base speed solely around irons, which may have a lot more variables due to different approaches to the shots, club weights, raw strength etc.

The chart is pretty accurate but keep in mind your ball will make a big difference. I see an extra 15 yards both on flightscope and the range using something like a chrome soft versus a range ball.

• 4 years later...

Saw this article. I find it interesting that they only included the carry distance for driver.  Based upon my own yardages I think the other numbers are total, but I am not sure.  Either this chart is wrong or my understanding of my own club head speed is wrong or I am continually misreading my own yardages.  I don't quite know what to think.

Does this chart jive with your understanding of your own swing?

golf-clubs.jpg

Distance in golf is hard to get, but no matter how far you hit the golf ball, it is important you at least understand your own distances.

10 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

Saw this article. I find it interesting that they only included the carry distance for driver.  Based upon my own yardages I think the other numbers are total, but I am not sure.  Either this chart is wrong or my understanding of my own club head speed is wrong or I am continually misreading my own yardages.  I don't quite know what to think.

golf-clubs.jpg

Distance in golf is hard to get, but no matter how far you hit the golf ball, it is important you at least understand your own distances.

I merged your topic with an existing one because that chart (or a similar one) has been here for a while.

Seems accurate for me. Where is the discrepancy for you?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Pretty accurate for me.  I think the point of the article was that not every drive is perfect. So it's likely less than people think considering their own club head speed.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

29 minutes ago, billchao said:

I merged your topic with an existing one because that chart (or a similar one) has been here for a while.

I think it's pretty close.  I fall somewhere between the 100 -110 mph swing speed.  For the most part, you can add a 5-8 yards to the 100 mph and it's spot on for me when compared to Flightscope measurements and my gc2 data.

6 minutes ago, phillyk said:

Pretty accurate for me.  I think the point of the article was that not every drive is perfect. So it's likely less than people think considering their own club head speed.

I think the point of the article was that people tend to take their best hits and make assumptions based on that.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

31 minutes ago, billchao said:

I have had my club head speed checked by machine twice. (It was at golftech, and the PGA store so I presume the machines are accurate)  I got results from like 98-105 with driver.  From those results, I thought those numbers would produce the distances I get.  But my observed distances are just about at the 110 mark, and if you follow that 110 column down, those are all accurate.  Is it possible that I get like an unusual smash factor or something?  Does that happen?  I'm not fitted or anything.

Possible reasons for the discrepancy include:
1. I am routinely bad at measuring distances.  Possible, but pretty unlikely.  I am not into lying to myself.  I want to improve.

2. The measurements were off at the store. - I do not know why they would want to make me think I swing slow with the club they want to sell me.

3.  My swing has improved since then. - Also possible.  I practice what I am taught here a lot.

4. Something else. 

I suppose it does not matter at the end of the day.  My distance estimates are pretty accurate with the clubs and swing I have right now.  I'm just curious.  And it is an issue of pride in some form.  I want to know where I stand, I suppose.

9 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

1. I am routinely bad at measuring distances.  Possible, but pretty unlikely.  I am not into lying to myself.  I want to improve.

Are you basing your iron distances on carry or total? The chart is for carry distance.

10 minutes ago, Cantankerish said:

2. The measurements were off at the store. - I do not know why they would want to make me think I swing slow with the club they want to sell me.

The places that use LMs that are not radars I’ve seen will sometimes optimize smash factor and calculate swing speed based on that, so if you don’t hit your driver well you’ll end up getting lower swing speed numbers than you actually have. There used to be a Golf Galaxy near me that did that so if I toed the crap out of the ball it would tell me I swung 90mph or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

56 minutes ago, billchao said:

Are you basing your iron distances on carry or total? The chart is for carry distance.

The places that use LMs that are not radars I’ve seen will sometimes optimize smash factor and calculate swing speed based on that, so if you don’t hit your driver well you’ll end up getting lower swing speed numbers than you actually have. There used to be a Golf Galaxy near me that did that so if I toed the crap out of the ball it would tell me I swung 90mph or something.

If it is carry distance, it is actually pretty close then.

3 hours ago, Cantankerish said:

It more or less aligns with my swing. Obviously as a 15 handicap I’m not striking the ball perfectly every swing so variability for me is higher - sometimes my 7-iron flies 170, sometimes 155, sometimes 180. I also think on the course adrenaline (or some other physiological phenomenon) gives swing speed a boost in some situations resulting in unexpected length.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1412 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!