Sign in to follow this  
luggage

Need Driver advice

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

3 posts / 670 viewsLast Reply

As some of my post previously indicates, I am 72 years old and had back surgery few years back which really slows down my swing speed.  My teaching pro tells me that my swing speed with my 3 wood and Driver has slowed to about 65 mph.  I am going to try to increase that since that is really slow. He suggested I switch my reg. shafts in my Adams 3 wood and my Taylor made burner draw to senior shafts. It makes sense to me.  He says the cost of changing out the shaft including the shafts is about $100.00 each.  I found a Callaway RAZR Fit 11.5* Driver Senior Flex Aldila RIP'd NV 60 Light on ebay for less than that.  I started reading and stuff like "shaft length" "purring" was mentioned in changing shafts.  I can understand shortening shafts and re-griping which I can do, but this purring thing is something I don't know much about.  Can I presume that a new Taylor made senior shaft has already been purred??  Also would it be cost effective to spend $100.00 to change the shaft if I can buy a new driver with the senior flex.  Not to be cheap but I have to watch my budget

As some of my post previously indicates, I am 72 years old and had back surgery few years back which really slows down my swing speed.  My teaching pro tells me that my swing speed with my 3 wood and Driver has slowed to about 65 mph.  I am going to try to increase that since that is really slow. He suggested I switch my reg. shafts in my Adams 3 wood and my Taylor made burner draw to senior shafts. It makes sense to me.  He says the cost of changing out the shaft including the shafts is about $100.00 each.  I found a Callaway RAZR Fit 11.5* Driver Senior Flex Aldila RIP'd NV 60 Light on ebay for less than that.  I started reading and stuff like "shaft length" "purring" was mentioned in changing shafts.  I can understand shortening shafts and re-griping which I can do, but this purring thing is something I don't know much about.  Can I presume that a new Taylor made senior shaft has already been purred??  Also would it be cost effective to spend $100.00 to change the shaft if I can buy a new driver with the senior flex.  Not to be cheap but I have to watch my budget

Puring refers to aligning the shaft that has asymmetric stiffness due to a small amount of out of roundness or thickness.  Shafts are a lot better these days and it would only make a tiny bit of difference and mostly with very high swing speeds.  When applied to adjustable driver heads, it becomes irrelevant because you rotate the shaft with the adjustments.  I would not worry about puring.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It makes better sense, to me, to purchase a driver with a very light head and very light shaft -- and forget the 3 wood.

I would recommend you look at the Callaway V Series Driver and Heavenwood -- at callawaygolfpreowned.com

e.g., something aerodynamic and ultra-light...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2071 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!