IGNORED

What is Your Golf Opinion?

Dpt2005
Note: This thread is 3305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To me, this is the beauty of golf.  No matter what your skill level, you have good days and bad, good shots and bad.  Even on the best day, there's something you could have done better, and on the worst, there's probably at least one shot that went well.  The definitions of good and bad may change as your skill changes, but its still a challenge.  And even on the worst days, I'd rather be on the golf course than in the office.

Very Well said Dave!

So I am posing this question:

IF YOU COULD HAVE 1 INDIVIDUAL GOLF RELATED QUESTION ANSWERED, WHAT WOULD IT BE?

I can't wait to see what is on your mind!

I'm curious to know how well I hit the ball for my size.  I think I'm 5'8-5'9 and maybe 145 (I'm not a woman, I don't track this shit relentlessly :-P ).  When paired with strangers I usually hit the ball at least as far as them even if they're bigger than me but at the same time they're usually pretty serious hackers so I still have a hard time judging.  I basically want to know if poor technique or being too scrawny is most responsible for not hitting the ball further (all clubs).

I'm curious to know how well I hit the ball for my size.  I think I'm 5'8-5'9 and maybe 145 (I'm not a woman, I don't track this shit relentlessly :-P ).  When paired with strangers I usually hit the ball at least as far as them even if they're bigger than me but at the same time they're usually pretty serious hackers so I still have a hard time judging.  I basically want to know if poor technique or being too scrawny is most responsible for not hitting the ball further (all clubs).

Technique, without question. I'll never forget playing years ago with a HS sophmore, probably 5'6", maybe 130. I was killin the ball off the tee that day and he was consistently by me 20-30 yards. He was long, well over 300 with a few. Good lesson for me that day.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The fact that I rarely get up and down from within 50 yards of the green. After quitting baseball a few months back I worked a lot on my swing and my irons and driver and all have really been doing well but my short game has fallen behind a lot. I have seen score improvements but in my tournament this weekend I could of dropped 10 strokes on day two from chipping and putting (On one hole I got a 8 after I was 5 yards off the green in 2, I also had a 30 foot eagle putt on a par five that ended up becoming bogey)

What's missing from my game is youth - somehow I got old when I wasn't paying attention.

Oftentimes a persons game improves with age. One of the main reasons being with age comes wisdom.

The fact that I rarely get up and down from within 50 yards of the green. After quitting baseball a few months back I worked a lot on my swing and my irons and driver and all have really been doing well but my short game has fallen behind a lot. I have seen score improvements but in my tournament this weekend I could of dropped 10 strokes on day two from chipping and putting (On one hole I got a 8 after I was 5 yards off the green in 2, I also had a 30 foot eagle putt on a par five that ended up becoming bogey)

I have to tell you Tgb02. Your avatar is priceless!

What's missing from my game is youth - somehow I got old when I wasn't paying attention.

What's missing from my game is. Trying to find the time to play more than once a week. Before I had kids I was able to play about 4 times a week. Even playing once a week now, I get the guilt trip that I should be doing something else.

Both of the above.   My full time job prevents me from practicing more.   Getting older is shrinking my muscle mass, reducing my flexibility, losing my focus, and getting tired before I am ready to quit (practice, round).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Oftentimes a persons game improves with age. One of the main reasons being with age comes wisdom.

Believe me, when you're nearing 70 years old, your game isn't going to be getting better.  The absolute most you can hope for is a slow deterioration.  My downhill spiral was accelerated by not being able to play more than a dozen rounds over a 2½ year span when I was already 65.  I'm still trying to relocate my game.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My biggest question is should I get lessons. It's taken a lot of practice, research and help to get my swing where it is now and idk if I'm comfortable letting someone work on it. Lessons would probably help a lot tho

The thing I am missing is consistency. 2 full rounds and a 9 this year....78, 87, 40. The first two were back to back days, same course

I would call that normal for someone of your handicap.  On the same course, I shot scores from 74 to 103 while carrying a 10 handicap.  That's golf.

Rick

Yeah in my last 20 my best to worst is 11 strokes. It ranges from 10 to 15 strokes throughout the year depending how good or bad some of the C scores are. I would look at the difference rather than just the number. It may seem horrible going from 78 to 87 but it is likely a few bad holes. My scores look similar but I have a bunch of 80-84 stuff in between. It's going to move around. Last year I shot an even 36 on a tough course. I played well, two birdie and eagle stretch. I thought I had unlocked the code so I snuck out of work early to get down to biz. I shot 46 on the same course. Boom 82C.

Dave :-)

Believe me, when you're nearing 70 years old, your game isn't going to be getting better.  The absolute most you can hope for is a slow deterioration.  My downhill spiral was accelerated by not being able to play more than a dozen rounds over a 2½ year span when I was already 65.  I'm still trying to relocate my game.

It just so happens that I am nearing 70 and I saw my game improve last year. I'm 66 and only play 9 holes on an outing. I do walk the course rather than ride a cart. I am now playing smarter and better than I ever have in the past. I may not be able to drive as long as I once did, but my short game and putting game has improved. Also the fact that I am now retired and can play more often allows me to make improvements in my game. Last year I played about 50 or so rounds

What's missing from my game? Time.... to practice, to play.   If I only had the time.    I could be......................better.

My friend John said this exact thing. And then at age 62 he retired and had the time to practice an play. His game barely improved. He forgot what old age can do to your body, and consequentially, your game.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

It just so happens that I am nearing 70 and I saw my game improve last year. I'm 66 and only play 9 holes on an outing. I do walk the course rather than ride a cart. I am now playing smarter and better than I ever have in the past. I may not be able to drive as long as I once did, but my short game and putting game has improved. Also the fact that I am now retired and can play more often allows me to make improvements in my game. Last year I played about 50 or so rounds

Maybe it depends on where your game was when you were in your prime.  I started taking the game more seriously when I was in my late 30's, achieved my lowest handicap index, 9.6, about age 45, but held mostly to the 10-12 range until my early 60's.  There was some downturn from 60-64, then I had the 2½ years when I lived on an island with no golf access.  Since I didn't return any scores during that period, my handicap index stuck at 13.5 (the number I carried at the end of the 2011 season), but with the lack of play, my game went farther south than the island we lived on.  Now I'm hoping to get back to somewhere close to where I was 3 years ago, but weather and time available have been conspiring against me this spring, and I've only managed 2 rounds so far.  That is about to change soon, so there may be hope yet. ;-)

Rick

Quote:

Originally Posted by bste

What's missing from my game? Time.... to practice, to play.   If I only had the time.    I could be......................better.

My friend John said this exact thing. And then at age 62 he retired and had the time to practice an play. His game barely improved. He forgot what old age can do to your body, and consequentially, your game.

That's why I am working hard to retire early but these darn Lotto tickets are not cooperating.    I've heard you can still improve until early 60s and after that, aging takes over and there is only one way to go with one's HI.

Once in a causal tournament, we met up with 79 (husband) & 70 (wife) year old couple.  The man was still playing to 17 HI.   The wife started playing golf after she retired at age 60 and was quite enjoying herself out there.   I think they beat our (me and my wife) score.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I started taking the game more seriously when I was in my late 30's, achieved my lowest handicap index, 9.6, about age 45...  There was some downturn from 60-64, then I had the 2½ years when I lived on an island with no golf access.  Since I didn't return any scores during that period, my handicap index stuck at 13.5 (the number I carried at the end of the 2011 season), but with the lack of play, my game went farther south than the island we lived on.  Now I'm hoping to get back to somewhere close to where I was 3 years ago, but weather and time available have been conspiring against me this spring, and I've only managed 2 rounds so far.  That is about to change soon, so there may be hope yet.

From one sexagenerian to another, "May the Golfing Gods be with you." I have similar goals, in that I am trying to hold onto a handicap number that I first achieved at a younger age. As I lose distance, I move to the senior tees. As I miss more greens, I spend most of my time on my short game. As my putting get a little "yippie," I beg for "gimmies." :drool: Best wishes as you go forth to achieve your golfing goals.

That's why I am working hard to retire early but these darn Lotto tickets are not cooperating.    I've heard you can still improve until early 60s and after that, aging takes over and there is only one way to go with one's HI.  Once in a causal tournament, we met up with 79 (husband) & 70 (wife) year old couple.  The man was still playing to 17 HI.   The wife started playing golf after she retired at age 60 and was quite enjoying herself out there.   I think they beat our (me and my wife) score.

I have a good friend, age 78, with a 16 HI. He's amazing. Besides that he walks the course about 85% of the time. I've been golfing with him for about 10 years now, and he has been able to maintain his handicap with a good regime of practice and regular play 2-3 times per week.  As for the lottery tickets, you can always dream. If you take away our dreams, life loses some of its hope for a brighter future.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Note: This thread is 3305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!