IGNORED

which ball for a beginner

GoonerGolfer
Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. Cheapest you can find. Used balls are a good alternative. For cheap new balls, I like the Wilson Extra Distance in the red sack, 2 dozen for $10 at WalMart (I think maybe a Walmart exclusive). The Wilson Titanium in the 18 pack seems to be practically the same ball.

2. When you get to where you can hit it straight enough to get through 9 holes while only losing a couple, then consider moving up. If you aren't hitting it far, that means slow swing speed, which means you will benefit from the balls with the softer core. Precept Laddie X (2 dozen around $20) and Wilson 50 Elite are good low cost choices. The next step up will be balls like the Wilson Duo, Callaway Supersoft, and Bridgestone E6.

3. No point yet in paying for tour balls. Their advantage will come mainly on more ability to generate spin that will stop the ball on the green. For now you are better off focusing on hitting greens, planning on some rollout, and using trajectory to limit rollout.

It's possible the beginner wants something that feels less like a rock for that visceral satisfaction. I'm not much of a player, but I still want a soft feel off the ball. I'd play 2 piece non-urethane balls if I did not know how to use spin on the greens. The problem is I know how to spin it, it's the execution that is inconsistent. Same with the beginner, when some do hit it well, they may want that soft feel.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went with cheap when I started out. My ball of choice was the Noodle+ around $10. When I don't have my ball of choice on hand I still chose cheap. Titleist Surlyn XOut is $9.99 a dozen. Usually mixed half NXT and Velocity.

Dave :-)

My knee jerk response (based on my own experience) ... the ones you find in the woods and the ponds ... would not worry too much about the type of ball as they end up lost soon enough ... another thing I did back in the day, was to put my buddies initials on the ball ... I hit a bunch into people's yards and houses However, to try and play nice ... I go to a used ball place, and buy super soft for a buck apiece.

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

While cheap is good and free is better at some point even lesser skilled golfers should probably consider playing one ball. I'd only use the Kick X if it wasn't so difficult to get, only don't when the last one is gone. There are sellers on eBay peddling them now so shouldn't be an issue going forward.

While cheap is good and free is better at some point even lesser skilled golfers should probably consider playing one ball. I'd only use the Kick X if it wasn't so difficult to get, only don't when the last one is gone. There are sellers on eBay peddling them now so shouldn't be an issue going forward.

The Kick X Commercials turned me off to the Kick X if I was to consider it --"....30 yards more off the driver, 20 yards more from the irons... like stealing on the greens..."

Seriously?

Back to topic.

Any inexpensive ball with a soft feel - someone suggested Noodle - I think it's inexpensive and soft.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The Kick X Commercials turned me off to the Kick X if I was to consider it --"....30 yards more off the driver, 20 yards more from the irons... like stealing on the greens..."

That's just a shameful marketing practice and there will be people falling for it.   I found one Kick X ball and tried.   It was a solid ball but it didn't add distance to my ball strikes.   If there was, I didn't notice it.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

While I appreciate some other posters giving the advice of going as cheap as possible, etc, the original poster shoots a 55 for 9 holes. That's not completely terrible. An important thing to realize when growing your game is to learn cause and effect of what you do. So it helps to play one ball so you can eliminate a variable. Also, at that level, you can probably start to know the difference between the god-awful Top Flite XL type rocks and softer, more responsive balls. I loved playing Titleist DT Solos when I was at that level. It's a good ball, spins a reasonable amount, and feels nice with enough control around greens.

One thing I liked to do was to switch to a higher end ball on short par 3s to start to learn what they would do around the green spin-wise. I kept it to short par 3s because I didn't want to slice a new ProV1 into the woods with driver. Might be a good experiment to see if it's something you value in your ball.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Seriously?

Back to topic.

Any inexpensive ball with a soft feel - someone suggested Noodle - I think it's inexpensive and soft.

If you think that's bad you should experience the ordering and billing process, brutal stuff, Warrior Golf brutal. But the balls are really good. I will be buying them on eBay now.

For a less expensive ball, I liked the Noodle. There are several varieties, but the original one is a good place to start. Sometimes you find a box of "Practice" Noodles in a bulk pack 24 ball box.  At your level (or mine for that matter), you won't be able to tell the difference between practice and regular Noodles in play, and the practice are about 30-50% less expensive.

In the $20/dozen range, I like the Titleist DT SoLo, Wilson Duo, and Callaway Supersoft, basically in that order of preference, but virtually interchangeable. These are my bread and butter balls that I still use for most of my play. If I "need" something better, I usually skip the mid-priced $30 range and get a premium or "tour" ball that is in the $35-$45 range. I have a slight preference in this category for the Bridgestone 330 series, but am anxious to try the new Callaway Chrome Soft. I don't know that you would call that a "tour" ball, but it is in the premium price range.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Goddess I hated Pinnacles. They were like hitting rocks. If Dick's, or whoever has a sale on balls, just buy the softest ball they have on sale: Supersoft, Wilson Duo, whatever. If you're a Costco Member check to see what they have in their golf section. Whatever it is they're usually $30 for 2 dozen. Last year they were Callaway Hex Controls which were a 3 piece ball and they played like the Hex Chromes which were twice the price.

I'll make this recommendation:

* Do not use your driver on the golf course no matter what your buddies do. - You'll be looking for balls in the woods more than hitting it on the fairway -- at least until you learn how to hit the ball well.

* Hit the longest club you can control off the tee. If it's your 6 iron, so be it. At least you'll be on the fairway.

* Practice with your driver at the range.

* Take lessons from a good instructor who uses a minimum of video. It's worth it.

* Tee it forward. You'll have more fun. Play from the whites or golds. They're hard enough. You don't need to play from teh blues even if your buddies are.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Goddess I hated Pinnacles. They were like hitting rocks. If Dick's, or whoever has a sale on balls, just buy the softest ball they have on sale: Supersoft, Wilson Duo, whatever. If you're a Costco Member check to see what they have in their golf section. Whatever it is they're usually $30 for 2 dozen. Last year they were Callaway Hex Controls which were a 3 piece ball and they played like the Hex Chromes which were twice the price.

I'll make this recommendation:

* Do not use your driver on the golf course no matter what your buddies do. - You'll be looking for balls in the woods more than hitting it on the fairway -- at least until you learn how to hit the ball well.

* Hit the longest club you can control off the tee. If it's your 6 iron, so be it. At least you'll be on the fairway.

* Practice with your driver at the range.

* Take lessons from a good instructor who uses a minimum of video. It's worth it.

* Tee it forward. You'll have more fun. Play from the whites or golds. They're hard enough. You don't need to play from teh blues even if your buddies are.

Hex Control balls from Costco, even moreso than their predecessor in Costco stock, the Titleist Tour Distance, is an awesome ball. Basically it's NXT Tour-level preformance for a significantly lower price point.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Hex Control balls from Costco, even moreso than their predecessor in Costco stock, the Titleist Tour Distance, is an awesome ball. Basically it's NXT Tour-level preformance for a significantly lower price point.

These actually may not be good balls for many beginners. "Tour" in a ball name is a dead giveaway.  For those who slice a lot, or hit way too many balls into hazards/OB areas, I recommend "straight" balls like Bridgestone E6.   There are other straight balls from Nike, Top Flite, etc. and they are low end balls for beginners.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I agree with the cheapest you can find...

I used Nike Mojo when I first started. 20.00 for 2 dozen balls... and its not a half bad ball either.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Cheapest you can find. Used balls are a good alternative.

I agree with getting used balls for a beginner. You can get a good quality ball for a fraction of the price. A good website to try is http://www.golfballnut.com/

It's as easy as selecting Golf Balls from the pulldown menu, and then your Price Range...

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

These actually may not be good balls for many beginners. "Tour" in a ball name is a dead giveaway.  For those who slice a lot, or hit way too many balls into hazards/OB areas, I recommend "straight" balls like Bridgestone E6.   There are other straight balls from Nike, Top Flite, etc. and they are low end balls for beginners.

Premium golf balls only spin about 500-700 rpm more on driver shots. When you get into shorter clubs the loft starts to make it harder to tilt the spin axis to curve the ball.

It doesn't take much spin axis tilt to cause the ball to curve. So that means the horizontal component on that spin rate would not dramatically increase with 500 rpm.

Heck of it was a 45 degree spin axis tilt, pretty much not possible in a golf shot. At least I think. You are looking at an increase of 250 rpm to the y-component and the x-component.

I'd say wait towards the end of the season and buy the golf balls when they come on sale. A lot of places even do buy 1 get one free to try to make space for next years model.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I didn't say they were good for a beginner, just added that they were a good price point if someone wants something along the lines of NXT Tour level balls.

That said, the Tour Distance is a contradiction in terms. Tour, as you say, implies spin. Distance, implies being hard, which is generally the opposite of what a Tour ball is. I researched this over a year ago, so I don't recall the details, but I recall the Tour Distance having fewer cores than the NXT Tour but with the same softer cover, which, I guess is how they achieved that apparent contradiction.

So, that said, for a person who is trying to break 110, this and the Hex Control might be balls he would look to in the near future or now, depending on whether there is a slice / hook present that might be calmed down by a lower-spinning ball off the driver. I used the Tour Distance when I was shooting about 100. I actually was going to put the Hex Controls into my bag for my first round after a break this weekend, but I found some older regular ProV1 (I usually play ProV1x) that I don't mind losing if things break bad that I'll game instead (they're the 2002 model but near mint, so it's either relegate them for bunker practice or play them in a round where I'm not in top form).

Dom's Sticks:

I agree with the cheapest you can find...

I used Nike Mojo when I first started. 20.00 for 2 dozen balls... and its not a half bad ball either.

I agree. Everywhere you find them, 20 for 2 dozen. They are straight off the tee and will stick a green even off of my 3 wood. The feel of them isn't the best, but for performance on a budget, I don't believe there is any better ball.

- Brice

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway:Big Bertha Alpha (9.5d)

3 Wood: :callaway: X Hot (15d)

Irons: :ping:I-20 (4-PW)

Wedges: :callaway: Forged (50 & 54)

Putter: :ping: Cadence TR Anser 2 Counterbalance

Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!