IGNORED

which ball for a beginner

GoonerGolfer
Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Last few weeks played with couple guys who are relative new to golf both now 24 handicappers, they both using Srixon Q star and reckon they best ball for there game. I find good all round ball for slower swing speed the Bridgestone B330RX, good distance and holds greens well, especially when using the new Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 wedges.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

It's not the ball that matters it's how you hit it, I myself don't really have a preference I'll use anything that's not going to break on me! I use a lot of Top-Flite XL's, XL2000's but also some Titleist PRO V1's, I've known some people who will actually open a new sleeve of balls and throw the ones that they have used out at the end of the round claiming that the wear on them makes them roll/bounce bad, I find this to be speculative as I've used the same balls for several rounds of play, with no real performance hit, then again for them it's probably their "Golf" superstition.

You can also buy recycled balls on Amazon for dirt cheap. A bag of 36 Callaway Warbirds is only $31.96 and a bag of 36 Titlest PRO V1 balls is $68.00 the same new would be around $120 for the same quantity. I actually stockpile golf balls at the beginning of the season which is only a week or so away...hopefully!

-Josh 

"Why set yourself up for Failure, when you can set yourself up to succeed" -GolfMaineiac26

Best thing to do is go to a place with the simulator and pay the $20 for half hour to an hour.  Take a bunch of different balls and a few clubs, driver, 7I and wedge and see which ball you get the least driver spin with and the best distance and spin with the irons.  You would be surprised the difference plus its fun.

It's not the ball that matters it's how you hit it, I myself don't really have a preference I'll use anything that's not going to break on me! I use a lot of Top-Flite XL's, XL2000's but also some Titleist PRO V1's, I've known some people who will actually open a new sleeve of balls and throw the ones that they have used out at the end of the round claiming that the wear on them makes them roll/bounce bad, I find this to be speculative as I've used the same balls for several rounds of play, with no real performance hit, then again for them it's probably their "Golf" superstition.

You can also buy recycled balls on Amazon for dirt cheap. A bag of 36 Callaway Warbirds is only $31.96 and a bag of 36 Titlest PRO V1 balls is $68.00 the same new would be around $120 for the same quantity. I actually stockpile golf balls at the beginning of the season which is only a week or so away...hopefully!

I won't play with a ball more than 36 holes and thats only if there is not a single scuff or mark on it.  As you progress and get better you will learn that those things absolutely do impact the ball.

• Upvote 1

I won't play with a ball more than 36 holes and thats only if there is not a single scuff or mark on it.  As you progress and get better you will learn that those things absolutely do impact the ball.

That, my friend, is called the placebo effect. Unless the cover is actually cut there will be no difference in performance between that ball and a brand new one, provided they are both clean and free of mud or debris. Minor scuffs to the paint affect nothing, and even scuffs to the cover itself are so minor that I GUARANTEE you would be unable to tell the difference in a properly blinded test.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That, my friend, is called the placebo effect. Unless the cover is actually cut there will be no difference in performance between that ball and a brand new one, provided they are both clean and free of mud or debris. Minor scuffs to the paint affect nothing, and even scuffs to the cover itself are so minor that I GUARANTEE you would be unable to tell the difference in a properly blinded test.

Personal preference. And I have seen minor scuffs impact the performance of a ball.  Not here to debate as its always an individuals choice as to what equipment to use or not to use.  Some times financial situations dictate people having to play balls longer than others as well.  My personal preference is not to use a blemished ball.

I would got the Costco or Walmart bag of balls for a while.  Once you develop your swing then you can try fitting different balls to see how they work for you.  The fact of the matter is that most golfers never achieve the level of needing a true pro ball.  I am an 18 HCP and actually am at a disadvantage with a tour ball.  Just make sure you have fun and welcome to the game of golf!

• Upvote 1

I have found 50 balls on ebay for $25-$30 that were rated AAAA. If you want new walmart sells their brand for $4.95 for 12. Not sure you can beat that for new balls. Do not worry about brands or anything.

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

You don't need an expensive $30+/dozen golfball. Find a ball in the $20 range you like and stick with it awhile so you can learn how it performs. A good average ball at that price is the Bridgestone E-6. Another one is the Callaway Supersoft low compression ball...really good value at about $20.

I think the Noodle "Long & Soft" and "Easy Distance" balls are good deals for a beginner....decent enough balls that don't break the bank.  The Precept Laddie isn't a bad ball either, IMO.  I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone e6, but they're pricey for somebody who loses a lot of balls.

While I agree with those who say it doesn't make much difference which ball you play as a beginner, I do think it's a good thing to at least consistently play the same brand/model ball, whichever one you may choose.  If for no other reason, different balls do feel and react differently when putting/chipping.  Even a brand new golfer with hands of cement would be able to notice the difference in feel off a putter between something like a cheap, rock hard "distance" ball and a soft tour-level ball.  If you're playing a mish-mosh of whatever balls you dig out of the bushes on the golf course, it just makes it that much harder to develop any consistency and feel, especially in the short game.  At least if you're playing the same ball all the time you'll get a feel for it and have some idea of what to expect.  If you're playing a Pro V1 around one green and an old Top Flite XL2000 around the next, your inconsistencies are going to be even more inconsistent.  They're going to sound different, feel different and act/perform different.  This game is already hard enough without introducing more unnecessary variables into it!

• Upvote 1

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

hi I am a beginner but I have had some basic lessons. as I currently do'nt hit the ball very far and take around 55 shots for 9 holes

would using a certain type of ball help me? Any replies are appreciated

As a beginner, you're probably going to loose a few balls, therefore I highly recommend using a ball that isn't too costly yet effective for those who don't drive the ball very far. The ball that will work for you is the Noodle Long and Soft balls which you can buy at Walmart for $23 for two dozen. They help beginners hit the ball further and straighter.

• 2 weeks later...

Titleist DT solo is a nice ball to use so much better than the cheap dunlop dhh ball i was using i am also i 20+ handicap

I loooooved the DDH back in the late 90s. Ball of choice now is Solo DT. Am back to golf after a long break (so basically new), feels the best for me.

For just goofing around and hitting into the woods, though, I bought a 5-gal bucket of mower-fodder and pond finds off of CL. I figure the best ball in the world won't fly that much straighter if you're not striking the ball well to begin with.

My guess is the type of ball at this point will not make much of a difference.

However, from my own experience, you will lose a lot of balls over the course of playing.

So I would recommend the cheapest you can get.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...
I am very much still a beginner, so I cant say too much. In the winter I spent a lot of time on a simulator trying different balls. Back in January, I bought a dozen Bridgestone e6 balls to try out. You cant really lose balls on a simulator, so I didnt mind buying something I might not like. I ended up really liking them a lot. I have a bunch of rocketballz and dt solo balls leftover from last year, that I have been using up. When I use those balls, now it feels like hitting rocks. The softer e6 ball just feels normal to me now.

I am very much still a beginner, so I cant say too much. In the winter I spent a lot of time on a simulator trying different balls. Back in January, I bought a dozen Bridgestone e6 balls to try out. You cant really lose balls on a simulator, so I didnt mind buying something I might not like. I ended up really liking them a lot. I have a bunch of rocketballz and dt solo balls leftover from last year, that I have been using up. When I use those balls, now it feels like hitting rocks. The softer e6 ball just feels normal to me now.

I was going to try some of those Bridgestone e6 ballz until I saw the going price.

I was going to try some of those Bridgestone e6 ballz until I saw the going price.

Haha yea they are pricey. I got 50 on ebay for like $30. I recently went to walmart and picked up cheap new balls for $5 a dozen. Cant beat that. Im sure they are not good but until I have a good straight long consistent shot I dont think any ball will help/hurt me. Right now I lose a ball to a slice almost every other hole so there is no way Im using good ball until that stops. I will spend the money I save on balls on lessons.

Driver - Ping G15 12 Degree Loft
3W - Ping G10
3 Hyrbrid - Ping G15
4-PW - Taylormade Burner 2.0
Putter - Ping Anser 2

My swing (help is much appreciated) - http://thesandtrap.com/t/80964/my-swing-logo

Yeah I hear you on that. $30 a dozen really hurts when you cant find a ball. I feel fortunate that I have only lost 17 in 4 rounds...last year I was losing a dozen or more in 9 holes. Since I decided to walk for exercise this year (and calm my nerves in between bad shots) I dont mind paying the price. But I can totally see why someone wouldnt want to spend the money till you can make em last longer.

Note: This thread is 3245 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!