IGNORED

Apple watches vs Samsung Gear S

meenman
Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

Originally Posted by meenman

When was the last time you thought about a SIM card after putting it in a phone/tablet/watch?

If the answer is "once" that's one time too many. And since we switch phones (I get the latest, wife gets one year old, daughter gets wife's old phone), at least three times per year.

Plus, you seem to have missed the point that if my watch has a SIM card, that's wasted space, another point of failure, etc. For virtually no added benefit. The tradeoff is not worth it to me. If it is to you, cool. Good for you.

You guys with tiny phones can keep them on you all day long, unless i am wearing deep pocketed khakis or shorts, my phone is just going to fall out - i go blind trying to use my ipod touch for any extended period of time.

Great. That's you. I have no problem using my iPhone 6.

Bottom line - a samsung watch is as useful to you as an apple is for me - since both are only compatible with their own kind. I am not anti-apple and may have even been on your side if apple had not stuck with one cell carrier for so long.

I never said - nor would I - that YOU were making the wrong choice for yourself. I couldn't care less about your choice. You specifically asked about MY choice and opinions, and I've shared them.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Really, it's a use case question.

If you are tied to the Apple Ecosystem then Gear S is not a solution.  Both watches are tied to their respectrive manufacture phones. So if you have no interest in going Iphone or Samsung Android and want a watch your decision is easy.

Now if you don't mind changing phones I think it comes down to what you are looking for in a smart watch.

I looked at both and went s6 Edge and Gear S.

The Apple watch is definately sleeker and looks better on the wrist.  The interface is a bit easier to use. If I was looking for an everyday watch, that was straight forward it would make sense.

The Gear S has a larger screen, is a bit bulky looking- though it's actually pretty light on the wrist.  It doesn't try to be a "watch" really. It's interface is pretty good though and not clunky at all.  It has a decent number of apps, not as many as Apple though.

But for me the stand alone phone feature was the killer app for me.  I'm very active. I wanted something that I could use as a smartwatch but I could take on runs without my phone.  I can stream from milk, play songs from the memory storage and get my nofitications and phone calls.

I have season passes to Six Flags and going on roller coasters without my phone in my pocket is awesome.  I can use it for workouts and not worry about roughing it up because it's utitarian purpose and looks.

I didn't find either product to be better, rather better at different things.  And each person needs to decide which things are important to them, that will lead you to your decision. Unless you are a fanboy, in which case your mind was madeup before either design was complete.

Note: This thread is 3249 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!