IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grinde6

The video did look like you are swinging out of your shoes to try and get the numbers you said you could get.  This is where the dreaded slice will come into play as it seems a lot of those shots were.  If you even dialed it back to 130, which should still push the ball out there 340-350 you would be MUCH better off.  If you got your swing to be more lower body and more of a twist instead of armsy, you might even gain the speed back without trying to "kill" it.

Yeah, it seemed like he was winded after every shot. That's too much exertion for any golf swing. Lots of bad mechanical things happen when someone tries to go 100% every swing.

I thought it was similar to the long drive competitors.  If the objective is to swing as fast as you can for a test, then so be it.  I would still recommend to @JapanDave to start a my swing thread and let the folks there help him optimize that driver.  Even at 125-130mph with a more controlled swing, he should be able to get to 300 yards consistently.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So the bottom line is- if you swing at a 140 mph, and have trouble, it may be wise to dial that speed back a bit, to say around the tour average of 110-120? if a pro can't swing 140 and keep the ball in the fairway what are the chances of an amateur? none.

That is unless your goal is to be long drive, which is cool but those guys miss the fairway 90% of the time so it's a bit ridiculous IMO, still kind of cool though, but not golf.

Hahaha--at 140mph I would like to become your agent.  We will win every long drive championship across the world! :)

Well, not exactly 140 but mid 130's which is still pretty good.. I don't know if he can keep anything in play, but does hit it far.

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

The video did look like you are swinging out of your shoes to try and get the numbers you said you could get.  This is where the dreaded slice will come into play as it seems a lot of those shots were.  If you even dialed it back to 130, which should still push the ball out there 340-350 you would be MUCH better off.  If you got your swing to be more lower body and more of a twist instead of armsy, you might even gain the speed back without trying to "kill" it.

Yeah, it seemed like he was winded after every shot. That's too much exertion for any golf swing. Lots of bad mechanical things happen when someone tries to go 100% every swing.

The reason I was like that is purely b/c that was the first time in about 4 years that I went to the driving range. I usually just play once a month due to work and family commitments. Before I had kids I was at the range 4 -5 times a week. If I got back into shape I certainly would not be like that, now I am fat and sit at a desk for most of the day.

Well, not exactly 140 but mid 130's which is still pretty good.. I don't know if he can keep anything in play, but does hit it far.

Most times I can, but these days I don't hit the driver much b/c my 3 wood is far more consistent and goes far enough that I don't have much of a club to hit into the green. This was the whole premise of the thread.

Also, I was trying to hit the ball with it much closer to my left foot, which was mainly the cause of the slices. I usually have it a lot further away from my left foot which is why I tend to hit down on the ball and create more back spin.

I can't remember how many times I hit the driver, but just as I was getting into my rhythm I was told to stop using it. I am pretty sure I can go a little faster. I am going to try and get to the range a bit more, one that won't kick me out and get back into shape again. Posting here has given me the bug back again.

I should start a swing thread like suggested.

Dave, What is the loft on your 3 wood? Since you hit it well, maybe you could get a driver between the 3 wood loft, and the loft of your present driver. I've read about some of the low spin driver heads, and shafts. There is lot's of info about the "Black Tie", being for the big hitters. Go somewhere that can fit you for a driver, and/or let you hit all the clubs until you find what you want. Jack

Jack

Jack, the 3 wood is 13 degrees if memory serves me correctly. I was trying to replicate what you said in your previous post with the diagram. All these years I was wondering why my driver would most of the time not go as far as I expected it would and then I the local pro shop and their machine was saying I was generating too much backspin. I probably should have sort help a lot earlier, but like I said, I really am just a weekend hacker who enjoys getting out of the office.

It may take a bit, but putting the ball position closer to my left foot should create the desired effect. I am going to get back to the range as much as possible and I will post another vid once I have worked out the kinks.

You guys have got me fired up, I just bought a Long Drive 48" HOF XXX shaft with a a callaway long drive 6.5 degrees head. I am looking forward to see what I can do Now. Will post a vid of what happens with this new driver.

You guys have got me fired up, I just bought a Long Drive 48" HOF XXX shaft with a a callaway long drive 6.5 degrees head. I am looking forward to see what I can do Now. Will post a vid of what happens with this new driver.

Cool! Keep us updated.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Go to a different range so they don't throw you out!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Go to a different range so they don't throw you out!

Yeah, there is another range that is in the sticks and they pretty much don't care. But the problem is that the back of the net is about 200 yards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pretzel

From my understanding of what I've read, golf courses are usually fairly short in Japan due to space issues. Taking that into account and your 300+ yard drives with a 3-wood, why would you need to even carry a driver? Hitting it 300+ "regularly" is pretty darn good, and the number on the club doesn't matter when compared to the number on the scorecard. Might I suggest that a temporary solution would be to just ditch the driver and play without it until you have your issue figured out?

The problem could be too much spin, but it's hard to tell from just a description. A swing video (with slow motion) would be the easiest way for anyone here to see what you might be doing wrong and give you a tip to fix it. Don't worry about a swing speed radar, just post a swing so we can help you with your potential technique problem.

I can't get to a driving range for a few days, but I could do a few air swings and post them, I just don't know how much they will be and indication of what I am doing?  And Yes, most holes are around 300-380 yards for a par 4 some even less. I usually only use a drive on the par 5's or on a straight par 4 and aim for the green if it is short enough.

@Jackal66, I don't quite follow what you are saying. But I am certainly interested in giving it a try.

@Lihu, so is it worth the money to get one? Or are they pretty much wrong most of the time?

My response is a little late, but they do measure pretty accurately. The one you bought looks pretty good. Doppler radar is pretty accurate and you will only see a couple to a few percent difference between the fastest part of the club head and where it impacts the ball. You probably really swung somewhere around 140mph. Path, accuracy and consistency are another issue which I have as well. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My response is a little late, but they do measure pretty accurately. The one you bought looks pretty good. Doppler radar is pretty accurate and you will only see a couple to a few percent difference between the fastest part of the club head and where it impacts the ball. You probably really swung somewhere around 140mph. Path, accuracy and consistency are another issue which I have as well.

Welcome back, Lihu!   Where the hell have you been?   I've been posting on these forum for both of us and was just about to run out of things to post. :-D

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

My response is a little late, but they do measure pretty accurately. The one you bought looks pretty good. Doppler radar is pretty accurate and you will only see a couple to a few percent difference between the fastest part of the club head and where it impacts the ball. You probably really swung somewhere around 140mph. Path, accuracy and consistency are another issue which I have as well.

Welcome back, Lihu!   Where the hell have you been?   I've been posting on these forum for both of us and was just about to run out of things to post.

Good to see you back @Lihu !!!

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Quote:

Welcome back, Lihu!   Where the hell have you been?   I've been posting on these forum for both of us and was just about to run out of things to post.

Really busy. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Quote:

Good to see you back @Lihu !!!

Thanks, guys. I've been swamped lately, and have not had time to do anything significant. I'm just waiting for my teleconference to begin, and had a little time to kill. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks for the reply Lihu , I am very glad you chimed in. Well I had a game of golf today ,which was my first one in about 2 months. With the advise from Jackal66, putting the ball more to my left foot stance I was able to crack one 385 yards into the rough.  All others were about 350 or there about's with 2 OB's with the driver. Ended up shooting 82 due to stupid club choices. Also drove a 2 iron about 300 yards and it has been a long time since I felt a 2 iron that good. All this driving range practice actual does you good. I have the bug again and I am going to get back into this golf game again.

Not that it matters much and I was not going to mention this until I saw this video. But I was a professional swimmer up until I was 24 years old (now 39 years old and fat). In the video below it shows how they can predict a persons potential swing speed. Two of the movements with the seated medicine ball throw and the sit up medicine ball, I used to do literally a thousand of those sit-ups a day with a partner and throw the ball like that to get more core strength. On top of that we used to have to jump stadium stairs that were about 24 inches in height. All of these exercises point to driving the ball longer. I trained 7- to 8 hours everyday , 5 in the water and 2-3 on land, although I never made it to fame like Phelps or Thorpe, I was good enough to get a silver at the world swimming championships (not gold I know, but there is not much difference between gold and silver except mentality) Anyway, this is the video.

• Upvote 3

• 1 month later...
I've read the back posts to get caught up. I'm a little confused. I don't mean to be a basher at all...just curious ok? I'm not sure I understand the benefit of a good sized guy swinging outta his shoes and hitting a huge banana slice. The balls I watched on the video were slicing horribly. I'm 6'3 and 245 and if I swing outta my shoes I can sail a golfball to a different area code but it does no good for a round of golf. What exactly is it here that's exceptional?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 3102 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!