IGNORED

140mph + head speed, but driver is still bad.

Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

@Pretzel, yeah, that is a great feature.

@Big-Lex. I am not sure if you saw this vid, but this is with a 45" driver. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDmC2kLgxMA

@Lihu,,I also snapped a driver at the neck once.

@Mike Boatright, the best I have hit on a coarse off the tee is 390 yards on a flat hole with minimal wind and I did not get much roll out. I have about a dozen witnesses, but does me no good on a forum in the States. Check the vid above, I took some measurements.

@Natureboy, those automatic tees are fully adjustable from zero to about 2 1/2 inches. Check the vid in this post above when I am hitting with the driver when I was trying to hit up on the ball. That is not my usual swing BTW.

Ok. Then you do seem to have a path issue. You don't actually have to 'hit up' consciously BTW. Just move the ball forward, make the same pivot / swing as normal (assuming normal is straightish), and shift your target a bit right to account for catching the ball later along the arc.

I think your swing does look like you are 'going at it' full bore with your shoulders. Can you delay releasing them just a bit while you 'back in' to the ball first / let the left hip lead things?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I believe you now.  You set up verrrrrry extended and you can see by the whip of the club on the follow thru how much speed you have.  

What do you do when you have an 80 yard shot?

Anything under 130-140 yards is a 58 degrees wedge, so judging how much to pull back is difficult. Which is why lately I have been trying hard to leave about 150 yards or there abouts for my second shot. I shot an 82 the other day just using a max of a 3 iron off and longer tee. I was so much more consistent.

Ok. Then you do seem to have a path issue. You don't actually have to 'hit up' consciously BTW. Just move the ball forward, make the same pivot / swing as normal (assuming normal is straightish), and shift your target a bit right to account for catching the ball later along the arc.

I think your swing does look like you are 'going at it' full bore with your shoulders. Can you delay releasing them just a bit while you 'back in' to the ball first / let the left hip lead things?

The other day, I tried backing off to what I thought was about 80% and I was only losing about 3-4 mph with the driver. I should post a video of that, that will probably give a better idea of my problems.

Anything under 130-140 yards is a 58 degrees wedge, so judging how much to pull back is difficult. Which is why lately I have been trying hard to leave about 150 yards or there abouts for my second shot. I shot an 82 the other day just using a max of a 3 iron off and longer tee. I was so much more consistent.

I think you'd be better off developing a repeatable partial swing shot rather than leaving 150 yards on purpose for your approach.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you'd be better off developing a repeatable partial swing shot rather than leaving 150 yards on purpose for your approach.  

Yeah, that would be ideal. I have been working on it, but I am pretty accurate from 150 yards. I should go to the range more and work on those shots. Thanks

My initial thoughts would be to get that ball more forward in your stance.(encourage an upward strike). This my help you take some of the spin out of the ball.

hope it helps. 

I agree and I need to find a good balance when putting it forward so I can get a little more consistency.

(edited)

Had a great game of golf today, shot 78 with 12 pars, 2 birdies and 4 double bogies. I used the Big Bertha mini and it suits my swing so much more than a driver. Smashed one slightly up hill 350 yards with the 11 degree mini. So much more consistency off the tee. The reason for the double bogies was b//c the sand traps were hard as rock, it was like playing off concrete.

Edited by JapanDave

• 2 weeks later...

With that swing speed, some coaching to get a correct AoA and correct alignment, and correct equipment, 400+ yards should be doable.  Don't build a swing for something like LDA though.  Goal is repeatability and accuracy to ensure your golf improves, not necessarily distance

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3092 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!