IGNORED

2015 U.S. Open at Chambers Bay Discussion Thread

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Jordan Speith is definitely the new Tiger.

Not even close to being the new Tiger. When Jordan starts winning 20-40% of the tournaments he enters, and by a large margin then we might start talking about him being the new Tiger.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

He is already the biggest active name in American golf. At this pace, he will continue to rack up wins. Even if Tiger gets his 2000 form back, now he has guys like Rory and Jordan to compete with, instead of the geriatric club.

The way some people on this forum come to Tiger's defense every single time reminds me of a child with ADD.

• Upvote 1

The way some people on this forum come to Tiger's defense every single time reminds me of a child with ADD.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. Perhaps you meant OCD?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

He is already the biggest active name in American golf.

By what objective measure is that true?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

By what objective measure is that true?

Clearly not height.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Not even close to being the new Tiger. When Jordan starts winning 20-40% of the tournaments he enters, and by a large margin then we might start talking about him being the new Tiger.

Plenty of people here were saying that what golf needed was a bona fide American superstar - that the problem with relying on Rory to "move the needle" is that he's a European. Well, watching the last two majors it looks to me like you've got what you were asking for.

Basically before the US Open he was already saying that his goal was to win all four majors this year. Today he said he believed he will get it done. Now obviously he did win two, but I just think his confidence is boardering on hubris/arrogance. Even if he believes he will win the next two, at least be a bit more modest about it: Like: Lets not get ahead of ourselves, I will give my best.

I think hope Rory will crush this hubris at St. Andrews.

Who's goal isn't to win all of the majors?  You don't think Rory had that same goal to start the year?

Maybe I missed all of this cockiness from Spieth, in the post round interview and trophy presentation he said "You can't win them all unless you win the first two" and that he was focusing now on St. Andrews, and if they play well he thinks he can get the job done.  Nothing in those statements to me says "I'm going to win the next two".  What do you think he should say, that he has no chance?

Well its not about the slam. Its about his immense confidence of winning all 4 majors this year. Even if you feel great, the likelyhood of winnng all four in one year is low.

I am happy that we have a new superstar on our hands. Its good for the game of golf. But the way he talked about winning all four, and getting it done etc just sounded a bit like hubris. Maybe not. We will see.

Just like winning the chances of winning Triple Crown are low but it happened this year.  Don't knock the kid because he's set a lofty goal for himself.  I'd rather hear that he's going for it and we'll see how it works out.

Joe Paradiso

What a great finish, only thing that might have made this years U.S. Open better would have been an 18 hole playoff today.  You could tell Jordan felt bad for DJ, while I'm sure he's happy he won, I doubt the kid wanted to win that way.

DJ cracked under the pressure, as most would, in hindsight I wonder if he regrets letting Day putt out which only gave him more time to contemplate the putt of his life.  I would have liked to see DJ at the award ceremony, but I'm sure that he was mentally and physically crushed after those 4 bruising days at CB.

Jordan is a scrappy kid who seems to be just good enough in every area to put together wins in clutch situations.  I hope he remains grounded, sticks with the people that got him to where he is today and doesn't follow Tigers path of searching for a better swing.  If he can keep the rest of his game where it is and find another 10 - 15 yards off the tee he will be tough to beat most weekends when he's on.

Chambers Bay and the USGA setup made this the most exciting U.S. Open final day I'd ever watched live.  The course was setup for an exciting finish and it delivered.  It was a great weekend for golf, too bad it wasn't on CBS or NBC as the tournament deserved a better broadcast effort and team.

Joe Paradiso

When I saw that putt of Snedeker's jump a foot into the air, I was thinking maybe Horschel had a point ...

That was definitely a pitch mark. Poa annua doesn't pop a ball a foot in the air. They keep showing that highlight though.

Would luv to be watching Jordan & DJ in a shootout today....

Congrats to Jordan...

DJ will bounce back. At his age, he still has many more opportunities.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

What else is new... ;-)

While Poults is outspoken, whiny, and moody, his comments seem less whiny after reading the entire text:

I look forward to congratulating the 2015 US Open Champion very soon, I simply didn't play well enough to be remotely close. This is not sour grapes or moaning or any of that crap.

It simply the truth. Mike Davis the head of the @USGA unfortunately hasn't spoke the truth about the conditions of the greens.

I feel very sorry for the hundreds of greens staff who spent countless hours leading into this week and this week doing there best to have it the best they could and I thank them for that.

But look at the picture. This was the surface we had to putt on. It is disgraceful that the @USGA hasn't apologized about the greens they simply have said. "we are thrilled the course condition this week".

It wasn't a bad golf course, In fact it played well and was playable. What wasn't playable were the green surfaces.

And then here is the whine:

If this was a regular PGA tour event lots of players would have withdrawn and gone home on Wednesday, but players won't do that for a major. They were simply the worst most disgraceful surface I have ever seen on any tour in all the years I have played. The US Open deserves better than that.

And the extra money that they have earn't this year from @FoxSports , they could easily have relayed the greens so we could have had perfect surfaces.

Simply not good enough and deeply disappointing for a tournament of this magnitude.

I don't like it when people lie on camera to try and save face.

And to all you fans that paid good money to try and watch us play golf but couldn't see anything on most holes because it wasn't possible to stand on huge slopes or see around stands, I apologize and I'm sorry you wasted your money traveling to be disappointed. I hope we all learn something moving forward to not have these problems in the future. Happy Fathers Day.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

This is the best case scenario we could have right now. Two young polite superstars that are used to the social media and comfortable with everyone knowing most of their business. They can be around a long time and draw a ton of youth into the game with (hopefully) head to head matches where both are playing their best golf. I love Rory's game and I love Jordan's game. I do want to see a gland slam this year but I don't want it easy either. You can't have it any better for golf right now and I am a Tiger fan. Tiger is welcomed to the mix but not needed now.

In the immortal words of Kent ' Flounder ' Dorfman, "Oh boy is this great!"

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Poulter has some good points. When the golf course becomes the story, and not the golfers, it makes the tournament seem less significant. That the USGA was only interested in making sure their set-up would be the toughest test, they (IMHO) disrespected the players. The greens were a disaster. Period. After watching Snedeker putt and actually see his ball jump straight up on the putting surface I could not believe it.

Changing the par from 1 and 18 during the tournament was ridiculous. Another example of arrogance on the part of the USGA>.Again, why an AMATEUR group can decide how PROFESSIONALS play their game is beyond me anymore. I think the pro tour needs their own rules.

This had nothing to do with how the course was designed. IT is a well designed course. Beautiful panoramic views. The elevation changes were startling to say the least. I just think the greens should be the same grass.

I don't think DJ cracked under pressure. Both his shots leading to the green would absolutely suggest otherwise. I am happy for JS but really wanted DJ to get his first major. :-(

This one is going to leave some scar tissue.

Vishal S.

While Poults is outspoken, whiny, and moody, his comments seem less whiny after reading the entire text:

I look forward to congratulating the 2015 US Open Champion very soon, I simply didn't play well enough to be remotely close. This is not sour grapes or moaning or any of that crap.

It simply the truth. Mike Davis the head of the @USGA unfortunately hasn't spoke the truth about the conditions of the greens.

I feel very sorry for the hundreds of greens staff who spent countless hours leading into this week and this week doing there best to have it the best they could and I thank them for that.

But look at the picture. This was the surface we had to putt on. It is disgraceful that the @USGA hasn't apologized about the greens they simply have said. "we are thrilled the course condition this week".

It wasn't a bad golf course, In fact it played well and was playable. What wasn't playable were the green surfaces.

And then here is the whine:

If this was a regular PGA tour event lots of players would have withdrawn and gone home on Wednesday, but players won't do that for a major. They were simply the worst most disgraceful surface I have ever seen on any tour in all the years I have played. The US Open deserves better than that.

And the extra money that they have earn't this year from @FoxSports, they could easily have relayed the greens so we could have had perfect surfaces.

Simply not good enough and deeply disappointing for a tournament of this magnitude.

I don't like it when people lie on camera to try and save face.

And to all you fans that paid good money to try and watch us play golf but couldn't see anything on most holes because it wasn't possible to stand on huge slopes or see around stands, I apologize and I'm sorry you wasted your money traveling to be disappointed. I hope we all learn something moving forward to not have these problems in the future. Happy Fathers Day.

Is that a green? They looked like crap on tv but couldn't tell they were this bad. Looks like a bad bad muni.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

Poulter has some good points. When the golf course becomes the story, and not the golfers, it makes the tournament seem less significant. That the USGA was only interested in making sure their set-up would be the toughest test, they (IMHO) disrespected the players. The greens were a disaster. Period. After watching Snedeker putt and actually see his ball jump straight up on the putting surface I could not believe it.

Not 100% sure that was the Poa Annua issue or him just missing a pitch mark and didn't fix it. Anybody who's hit a pitch mark solid can have the ball hop a lot.

Changing the par from 1 and 18 during the tournament was ridiculous. Another example of arrogance on the part of the USGA>.Again, why an AMATEUR group can decide how PROFESSIONALS play their game is beyond me anymore. I think the pro tour needs their own rules.

How is it arrogant? USGA has access to all the tee boxes on the course and can set it up how ever they want. Par is just a relative term. I've seen courses that have had 430 yards par 4's followed up by a 450 yard par 5. 20 yards changes the par? I've seen courses with 460 yard par 4's. Par isn't set in stone.

So what if it switches, par doesn't matter. All that matters is playing the course in the least amount of strokes.

People are complaining because #18 played as a par 5. It didn't matter. In the end, Spieth got down in 4 strokes, and DJ got down in 5 strokes. It doesn't matter if you call it a birdie or a par, or a par or bogey.

In the end Spieth played the tournament in least amount of strokes. They could have labelled all the holes par 4's and it wouldn't have mattered. Heck golf doesn't even need to have par for the golf holes.

This had nothing to do with how the course was designed. IT is a well designed course. Beautiful panoramic views. The elevation changes were startling to say the least. I just think the greens should be the same grass.

Greens were the same grass. It was all fine fescue. The issue is, you get Poa Annua that seeps into the greens. A lot of courses get this stuff. In a couple of weeks it will burn off and the greens will be fine. The US Open has battled Poa Annua for years now. You really can't do anything about it unless you are willing to recut the greens during the round. Poa Annua just grows faster than fescue or bent grass. It isn't like this is an uncommon issue for the USGA.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You're isolating certain putts but ignoring how low the scores were on Sunday.  Louie made some long putts to birdie 6 or the last 9 holes, couldn't have been that bad.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 3187 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!